• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Curcumin proved effective at combating cancer (2015)

curcumin cancer turmeric

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:40 AM

I have only skimmed it but this seems like a very good and up to date review on Curcumin / Turmeric.

Full text for free.

Abstract : Despite significant advances in treatment modalities over the last decade, neither the incidence of the disease nor the mortality due to cancer has altered in the last thirty years. Available anti-cancer drugs exhibit limited efficacy, associated with severe side effects, and are also expensive. Thus identification of pharmacological agents that do not have these disadvantages is required. Curcumin, a polyphenolic compound derived from turmeric (Curcumin longa), is one such agent that has been extensively studied over the last three to four decades for its potential anti-inflammatory and/or anti-cancer effects. Curcumin has been found to suppress initiation, progression, and metastasis of a variety of tumors. These anti-cancer effects are predominantly mediated through its negative regulation of various transcription factors, growth factors, inflammatory cytokines, protein kinases, and other oncogenic molecules. It also abrogates proliferation of cancer cells by arresting them at different phases of the cell cycle and/or by inducing their apoptosis. The current review focuses on the diverse molecular targets modulated by curcumin that contribute to its efficacy against various human cancers.

4. Conclusions

A plethora of in vitro and in vivo research together with clinical trials conducted over the past few decades substantiate the potential of curcumin as an anti-cancer agent. At the molecular level, curcumin targets numerous pathways, highlighting its ability to inhibit carcinogenesis at multiple levels and thus, potentially circumventing the development of resistance. However, there is a paucity of data to explain the underlying mechanism of its activity. Clinical trials with curcumin indicate safety, tolerability, non-toxicity (even up to doses of 8000 mg/day), and efficacy. These studies provide a solid foundation for more well-controlled studies in larger cohorts as well as open avenues for future drug development. However, curcumin activity is limited by its poor bioavailability and some possible adverse effects. The development of formulations of curcumin in the form of nanoparticles, liposomes, micelles or phospholipid complexes to enhance its bioavailability and efficacy are still in its early stages. Nonetheless, curcumin has established itself as a safe and promising molecule for the prevention and therapy of not only cancer but also other inflammation-driven diseases.

http://www.mdpi.com/...9/20/2/2728/htm

Attached Thumbnails

• molecules-20-02728-g002-1024.png

• Informative x 3

#2 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:57 AM

Thank you. Nice finding. The bioavailablity still remains a problem. I am using BCM-95, 400mg/day, which is claimed to be 7x more absorbable than other compounds on the market. I also use tumeric in cooking.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 cuprous

• 170 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:00 PM

Didn't realize it down-regulated telomerase... presumably that's not a good thing for maximal lifespan.  Although of course if you drop dead from cancer then who cares what might have been.

• Good Point x 1

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 Kalliste

• Topic Starter
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:38 PM

I think of curcumin more as something I need to cope with dangers of pollution than something that will help me turn 100 years old. If I was living an optimal lifestyle in an optimal environment it might not do me much good, maybe that's why it did not help Spindlers animals.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: curcumin, cancer, turmeric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users