- - - - -

Only sleeping 2-3 hours, why?

sleep

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vtrader

• 235 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:56 AM

I have no problem going to sleep, the problem starts after 2-3 hours when I awake, I can't go back to sleep. At first I read it might be a blood insulin spike thing so I eat a snack before bed, first few times I thought it was working. Now it makes no difference.

I've also tried the usual supplements magnesium, 5-htp, valerian, rhodiola, l-theanine, taurine, sleeping pills. If feels like they start to work start to feel drowsy but my brain decides to overcome them. Have also tried meditation before bed.

Also tried doing something after waking up and not lying in bed.

I do feel tired, my body does, my eyes feel tired, half my brain wants to sleep, but it's the other half which it not letting it sleep.

The only supplements I took during the day was a ginkgo-ginseng mix pill, but thats in the morning.

It's been two weeks now. Options??????????????

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#2 Xenthide

• 89 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:57 PM

How's your lifestyle otherwise? Are you getting enough regular exercise? Either way, try getting more exercise and see if that helps.

#3 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:19 PM

Tried lighttherapy? Im doing that an hour in the morning with two 150w halogens. Im falling asleep better in the dawn.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:21 PM

Too much Serotonine ?

Perhaps due to 5-HTT (Serotonine transporter) short allele which increases the Serotonine content.

Serotonine can increase or decrease Adrenaline.

Dont know, anyway the Ginseng might have augmented something like 5-ht2a and/or Adrenaline or something else.

An anectode: I have chronic insomnia casued by Cannabis in the adolescence.

I cant fall asleep but maintain it.

If I dont take Mirtazapine I´m awake for 1-2 days(!) My cicardian rhythm is different, I´m comming back home, allready sleepy, I´m getting sleepier in the eveninguntilöl about 7-9 PM where I become awake and slightly euphoric.

This was even before the Mirtazapine so the adrenergic a2 cant be blamed. 

Once I came back from a party and was not overly drunken but to a nice extend.

So I panicked a bit about brain damage and took 6x100mg Ginseng extract.

after that I wasnt able to sleep, despite beeing drunken.

You can go into a pharmacy and ask for Cyproheptadine something like that.

In my case Valerian pills are as useless as sweets.

Passionflower makes it worser but Lavender tea helps very good and Lemon balm medicore

Edited by Flex, 01 May 2015 - 11:22 PM.

#5 DrW

• 51 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:32 AM

Your arousal process activates too soon after sleep induction.

You likely have high blood glucose levels and high blood pressure in waking up, both of which are dangerous. Though these both could be normal hours after waking.

I take a little grape juice 1/2 hour before sleep to give me some blood glucose to prevent production of glucose during sleep which spikes in waking. I also keep some water with 1/2  to 1 MG of Glipizide and drink at the first sign of arousal then try to go back to sleep some more. My blood glucose use to spike as high as 200 in waking but now is 80 to 90 in waking with the Glipizide.

I take 12.5 MG of Chlorthylidone about 6 hours before bedtime for blood pressure and this reduces the BP spike in waking up. It also seems to help me sleep.

Exercise within an hour or two after waking is good. BP goes up when exercising but goes down real nice afterwards.

Eliminate caffeine from any source.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sleep

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users