Need advice on high blood sugar, possible neuropathy

#prediabetes #bloodsugar

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KJx

• 63 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:58 AM

Hello everyone! Trying to understand what exactly happened to me. So here's my story (problem started ~7days ago):

I am quite lean, just 70kg for 183cm. I am 25yo. Male. Caucasian. I was eating almost a vegan diet (with just a little dairy and fish really rarely) but ate lots of chocolate and other sweets (~200g milk chocolate daily was the minimum) and didn't do much sports. Tried to compensate by sometimes eating raw broccoli or spinach. Ate lots of vegetable stews, beans, rice.

So anyway, I started going to a swimming pool to get back into sports.
Then one day, I was at a poetry evening and I was squatting most of the time (I don't like standing long as I'm flat footed) and when I got up, my left foot started to hurt really bad when I moved it in one direction, although it was a very weird feeling. It was not numb or anything, either. I then remembered I had similar pain in my RIGHT foot the day before. It was really painful to walk, but the pain went away soonish. However, with the left foot, things were different. The extreme pain DID go away, but some kind of lingering pain remained every day. Nothing bad, but just like something's wrong in the foot. So since I ate so many sweets and couldn't find the reason of that pain, I got two hypotheses:

1. It could be diabetic neuropathy
or
2. I could have somehow sprained my tendons in the foot in the swimming pool (I use my feet when swimming very fast) and could also have been triggered by a tendon trauma in that foot that I had many years ago. (tendon was cut) so perhaps the constant movement returned the tendon problem.

So as I don't think Nr2 reason wouldn't be much of a trouble, I decided to check if it's not Nr.1

I bought a glucose meter called "Glucocard X-mini plus" with 60 test strips.
So I started testing myself with it. To average things up:

My fasting glucose (first thing in the morning): 4.2 to 6.1, I think (could be 4.4 to 5.5).
Which is not THAT bad and sounds like mild prediabetes?

However, after eating a full dish, I get high glucose of up to 9.6 (ussually 8.1 - 9.2) after an hour. Then it gradually lowers. The problem is, it's not that I'm eating something bad. In fact, these measures are after I ate hard-to-digest carbohydrates with lots of fiber. Example:
Today I got 9.4(!) after eating this:
A soup of carrots + tomatoes + chickpeas + himalayan salt + curcuma + asafatida + curry
I was eating raw sunflower sprouts and raw "sunchoke" with the soup. So as you can see, really very little carbs and lots of fiber. Still, 9.4. I also got 9.4 the first day I tested the meter by eating some soup with wheat bread, which I guess was normal, considering wheat increases blood sugar.
So my question is, why the crazy spikes even after such healthy foods? Luckily, they get lower in two hours (after starting to eat)

Otherwise, for anyone interested, my diet (for the past 5 days):
100% vegan (~50% raw)
Almost no fats (by suggestions from Dr Neal Barnard m4glv5SVvQw ) (I only get them from cashews I eat every day ~70g), perhaps a little in chickpeas (in said soups)or flax seeds (in oatmeal)
I don't eat no starchy foods, no wheat, no rice, no bananas, no potatoes.
I eat fruits semi-liberaly - I eat kiwis, apples, strawberries. Lemon-grapefruit juice with warm water. Barley and wheat grasses (powdered) with water and cinnamon.

Supplements, daily:
2 x 500mg slow absorbing vitamin C
1x 100mg vit C + selenium + zinc + 250mg echinacea + 100% RDA vitamin E  + 100% RDA vitamin A.
1x 1000mg Cassia cinammon + 200mg ALA + 60ug Chrome
1x ~1000% RDA of every vitamin B + magnesium
1x ~30mg Noopept

I also make strong astragalus + gynnostema + fennugreek + blackseed teas every day. I drink it liberally.
I go to the swimming pool/sauna every second day. Almost daily I do some minor sports after I see my high blood glucose after eating...
Another interesting note here: I work from home and I get up at ~6PM and go to sleep at ~7AM give or take a few hours. I read this could affect diabetic affairs negatively... Something to do with melaning imbalances, I think.

Current situation:

* An ulcer appeared in dorsal knee, popliteal fossa. Apparently for no reason. Note: it happened before, because I have eczema that likes to migrate through the body. However, this time, timing is bad, so I don't want to underwrite it as eczema. I'm not sure. I read it's a usual place for diabetic ulcers to appear.

* Pain in my foot subsided. After the changes in my diet (no more easy carbs, lots of fiber, fruits, veggies, supplements) the foot pain only got better. Today, the pain is almost not there. But there's still something there. Not numb at all.

* Three nights ago, in the middle of the night I felt my RIGHT foots sole (the very base of the foot only) being slightly numb. That was very weird but went away in several minutes. Could be just bad pose of sleep or something? Otherwise, no numbness anywhere in the body.

* I don't really feel tired.

* I'm not feeling thirsty.

* My urine doesn't taste sweet, even when it's darker yellow (don't ask)

* I'm otherwise healthy, however, when my foot first started to hurt, I was sick with bad cough and running nose. However, that day I only ate two bananas and went to swimming pool before that poetry evening. Weird circumstances to get a neuropathy?

So my question is:
What is happening with me? Is this just normal prediabetes? Should I do anything differently? Why the blood sugar spikes only after eating a little more (doesn't matter what) and are my feet/ulcer problems from diabetes/sugar?

Thank you all for reading this long question!

#2 VerdeGo

• 205 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:44 AM

You are right to change your diet, but I'm not sure how those numbers equate to how we measure blood glucose in the US. I'm right around 100 or 101 the last time I had a blood test for fasting glucose, which is 1 point over the normal range. Here it usually goes up to 100, and anything over is considered prediabetes, though most docs aren't concerned until your level is 120 or above. Eating before testing your blood sugar levels can cause definite spikes in the readings. If you want to know a clear picture in regards to glucose and your general health, go to a local doc and have them do a fasting blood test. This will look for other potential problems, and you'll be able to rule out the more serious ones.

The issues with your feet could be from any number of issues. I have a pinched nerve, and this has resulted in tingling and misfiring nerves in my feet. You said you were squatting, and then your foot had issues? I think your cough and runny nose are just coincidental, and I can't see how they would relate to your feet. 

If you think you are prediabetic, taurine is a supplement that's already present in your body. Studies point out that it can prevent diabetes from developing. The only other thing I can vouch for that I've personally taken is cordyceps, an adaptogenic mushroom, which is said to regulate blood sugar levels. 

I think you're worrying a tad too much at this point. Do a blood test if possible and go from there. If you want to get proactive, cut out processed foods along with those sweets. White bread = sugar. All this is stored as glucose, along with other processed foods. Go organic, whole grain (nothing enriched), and high fiber. I'm also very lean myself, and it's hard to put on weight. The blood tests will also determine if you have thyroid issues. You're taking a step in the right direction by posting here, but you shouldn't assume anything until you get a routine blood test done.

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 KJx

• Topic Starter
  • 63 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:07 AM

Thank you very much for your reply. 
First off, I have to say that I do not have insurance, but I will work on that and I'm hoping to see a doctor in two weeks.

As for the glucose levels, as I have mentioned, I have already tested them. Sorry for not providing the US measurements! Here is good table for conversions: http://www.diabetesc...org/mgmmol.html

So my fasting glucose is actually quite normal, it's 76-100 (measured every day for the last 4 days, every time in the morning)

The problem is, I get huge spikes of blood sugar after I eat a good meal (even if it's just tomatoes, carrots, chickpeas, sunflower sprouts and sunchokes!). I've had 170 today and the max was 175 two days back. Which, as I was told, can be really damaging to the blood vessels and nerves. Which could also explain my symptoms. These high readings don't stay for long however.

Thank you for mentioning Thyroid, I should definitely check that. As well as Ferritin levels, as I think they have something to do with glucose levels as well. I mean, I DO eat a primarily vegan diet. 

Edited by KJx, 24 April 2015 - 03:11 AM.

#4 VerdeGo

• 205 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:30 AM

I'm glad you're going to get your levels professionally checked. I'm not an expert, but a doctor's advice and interpretation of the results is probably the best way to go at this point. All I know is I've read that it's quite normal for quite a spike to appear after eating certain foods, but that's why it's called a "spike". This is why you check the levels while fasting, for a more accurate reading. 

Put your mind at ease and don't worry about this. If you're not back to normal by the time you go see a doctor, then see what he/she has to say and go from there. Everything will turn out okay  :)

#5 KJx

• Topic Starter
  • 63 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:42 AM

I mean no disrespect by disagreeing, but I've read on the matter and generally "normal" "diabetic conditions free" people never get their blood sugar above 140. Even after drinking pure glucose. The official guidelines are basically that anything above 140 is prediabetes or diabetes. In fact, in one study with "normal healthy" people, it was determined that for 95% of the time, blood glucose does not increase over 120! Only for 5% of the time did it increase over that limit. And only 0.4% was it above 140. So even though spikes should happen, they should not happen so drastically - it implies a problem. 

The explanation why my fasting glucose is normal is simply that after 8-12 hours of fasting, my body easily absorbs that glucose in that time. However, those spikes of up to 175 show that that process is impaired and doesn't happen as fast as it should. That there's probably some insulin resistance already. And while this is probably (hopefully) not diabetes yet, it increases the risk of diabetes by a large percentage. And I'm really hopeful to reverse my condition. 

Oh by the way! Thank you for mentioning taurine. It looks promising. I read lots about diabetes treatments for the last few days, but never came upon taurine. It could be really important to me, as its main sources are meat and fish. As an almost-vegan, I factually ingested very little of it. I will think of supplementing it. 

Edited by KJx, 24 April 2015 - 03:44 AM.

#6 VerdeGo

• 205 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:03 PM

Thanks for pointing that out. You make valid points. I'm curious as to what my levels are spiking to after eating certain foods now. However I think as long as fasting blood glucose is in the normal range, the doctor may not be too concerned. He'll probably want to conduct his own tests to address your concerns and to rule out prediabetes or other issues, so you're on the right track. I'm also curious as to whether prediabetes first shows up as spikes with a normal fasting blood glucose, or if all levels are consistently higher (fasting and post-food) and gradually increase over time? I will be talking to my doc about it next time I get blood work done. I too am trying to get my glucose lowered, and cutting out processed food and sweets/carbonated beverages is a must. Please let us know what you find out.

And as far as taurine, you're right. It seems to be the most beneficial for vegans, and it appears to help the body in more ways than just increasing insulin sensitivity. Again, let us know how it works out for you if you choose to try it.

• like x 1

#7 KJx

• Topic Starter
  • 63 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:51 PM

I was given this answer on a different forum: 
"Your fasting is the last to show signs of a problem. Why? Because the fasting period gives your pancreas time to catch up to what you've eaten. Think about turning the heat off in winter, your house slowly cools down, right? Same thing. You've reduced the heat (carb load) so your house (blood sugar) cools off (returns to normal). 

Now if you're trying to cool your house in summer in the desert (high blood sugar) using a swap cooler (evaporative system) it never really cools off (stays warm) until night time (sleep time) when the outside heat is low so the cooler (pancreas) catches up and cools the house (lowers blood sugar). "

• Informative x 1

#8 VerdeGo

• 205 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 03:07 AM

This does make sense. Ask your doctor to test your non-fasting levels while in his office, so you can get his professional opinion on the matter. Maybe if more doctors did this, the early warning signs of diabetes could be recognized faster? Especially if it's true that non-fasting levels are the last to rise. It's like we're going about this bassackwards. 

I wish there were some physicians on the forum that could answer this for us. In the meantime, please keep us updated on what you find out. I'm very interested to know. 

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 KJx

• Topic Starter
  • 63 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:59 PM

Especially if it's true that non-fasting levels are the last to rise.

The fasting levels are the last to rise. At the beginning, blood sugar rises only after-meals. It's like the body has glucose absorption rate, but it's slow, so when you get new carbohydrates from food, your body doesn't manage to absorb all the glucose at once so blood glucose is dangerously elevated for some time. However, fasting levels are still unaffected, because those 8-12 hours of fasting are more than enough to take care of the glucose, even at decelerated rates. Only when the body is really messed up (diabetes) that fasting levels are remaining high. At least that's how I see it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users