- - - - -

Why do you take msm?

msm

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:50 AM

This supplement is interesting but when I read about it online people are talking about using it to detox and I kind of think that isn't really an actual issue with like toxins and stuff.

These ingredients are in joint pills.  Are they anti inflammatory?  What do you use it for?

#2 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:08 PM

My wife has been using it from time to time for osteoarthritis without impressive benefits. Have you looked at:

http://examine.com/s...sulfonylmethane ?

I think it sums up to anti inflammatory effect and sulfur content because it is necessary for the connective tissue. Did not find much on human studies. Evidence does not look very impressive.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:08 AM

I may be wrong and invite correction here, but doesn't sulfur feed undesirable gram negative bacteria in the gut?  Sort of an anti-probiotic?  

I've read a sulfurous odor in flatus indicates a predominance of gram negative bacteria, and know when I take my FOS and lactobacillus GG probiotic, my flatus does not smell sulfurous (or have much odor at all).  

Just my observation.  What say thee fellow knowledge seekers?  

#4 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:13 AM

Shouldn't that make eating legumes rather unhealthy? And it seems to be they are very healthy :)

#5 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:15 AM

Don't know if eating minor amounts of dietary organic sulfur might be different than mega-dosing msm supplements.  

Sulfur is important, but more might not always be better.  

Edited by synesthesia, 26 April 2015 - 06:16 AM.

#6 Alphatrial

• 26 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 08:08 AM

When my wife was using MSM we discovered that she didn't get stung anymore by musquitos. That's because of the sulfur smell that they don't like. As she is somewhat allergic to musquitobites, we found it a blessing.

#7 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:55 PM

Oh, very interesting. I must then take it too as it would explain why between my wife and myself it is always me who got bitten ... ;-)

#8 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:54 AM

I find it great after a big athletic effort as an anti-inflammatory. After a tough 50k trail race in the heat and with a lot of elevation change I was pretty beat up. A rounded teaspoon of the stuff really brought the inflammation down to where it really did not feel that I had run that far. I find it a much better alternative over ibuprofen.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:04 PM

The only reason I'd take it, like Stephen B, is to alleviate the length of delayed onset muscle soreness after endurance exercise.  To that I'd add, SAMe is a better choice except for it's expense.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: msm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users