• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Is there any actual proof that theanine, bacopa and ginkgo biloba can upregulate GABA receptors?

gaba

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 discopig

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:50 PM

I see claims being made about these three nootropics a lot but I have not been able to find a conclusive study or research showing they do in fact upregulate GABA receptors in healthy humans.

#2 YosefANaumovich

• 35 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:07 PM

I foolishly bought Ginkgo Biloba once and took it first in the recommended dosage but then in many times the recommended dosage to at least experience some effect, and I did it through multiple days but noticed no effect whatsoever.

It seems to me that Ginkgo is a so-called snakesoil supplement that is propagated to the unsuspecting customer as a wonder product simply because it has almost no psycho-activity and thus the unaware customer who may over-consume the product due to stupidity can not be harmed by his own stupidity, but may experience the usual placebo of a day or an hour full of "sharpened perception" and whatever else is experienced with placebos.

• Needs references x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:24 AM

I foolishly bought Ginkgo Biloba once and took it first in the recommended dosage but then in many times the recommended dosage to at least experience some effect, and I did it through multiple days but noticed no effect whatsoever.

It seems to me that Ginkgo is a so-called snakesoil supplement that is propagated to the unsuspecting customer as a wonder product simply because it has almost no psycho-activity and thus the unaware customer who may over-consume the product due to stupidity can not be harmed by his own stupidity, but may experience the usual placebo of a day or an hour full of "sharpened perception" and whatever else is experienced with placebos.

Not all supps are created equal.

Some are lawn clippings in a capsule.

Do your homework!  :)

http://www.longecity...proven-to-work/

#4 the_apollo

• 153 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:14 AM

Exactly what dosage did you use for Ginkgo Biloba? (at most)

Because the "recommended" dosage is for the recommended consumer target, which is elderly people with declining cognition..

The actual dosage is 8mg per kilo of weight (HED) human dosage. So if you weigh say 70kg (154lb), a correct dosage would be 560mg per day, with a 24% extract. (based upon 100mg/kg rat dosage converted to human equivalent)

• Good Point x 1

#5 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:07 AM

The three types of Ginkgo biloba I have tried all work to some extent - I have tried a Boots branded Ginkgo supplement; one named Ginkgold (which uses the extract Egb 761) and another one I can not remember the brand of. The most obvious sensation experienced is one of increased blood flow, which makes it easier to concentrate. I see this effect clearly when using my Neurosky Mindwave EEG headset to play games where a certain measured level of concentration triggers a game event.

This increased blood flow effect from ginkgo biloba (in some supplements, blood flow is increased by inhibiting coagulation, which should be carefully considered if you have any medical condition that is affected by, or are taking medication related to, blood coagulation) is common to lots of herbs and supplements that are used for cognition - curcumin, fish oil, etc. not to mention a number of pharmaceuticals like acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin, etc.).

Paying attention to your mental state and mood throughout the day (and to do so without getting lost in/believing your positive or negative thoughts about these states) is important.

Mindfulness training helps with this.

Edited by Godof Smallthings, 28 April 2015 - 03:10 AM.

#6 YosefANaumovich

• 35 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:19 AM

Exactly what dosage did you use for Ginkgo Biloba? (at most)

Because the "recommended" dosage is for the recommended consumer target, which is elderly people with declining cognition..

The actual dosage is 8mg per kilo of weight (HED) human dosage. So if you weigh say 70kg (154lb), a correct dosage would be 560mg per day, with a 24% extract. (based upon 100mg/kg rat dosage converted to human equivalent)

Each pill is "60 mg of standardized extract of Ginkgo Biloba leaves amounting to 14,4mg of ginkgoflavonglycosides and 3,6mg of terpene lactones,"  and I've taken up to a total of 10 (i.e. 600mg) capsules a day. My weight is around 110kg.

Even considering I may not have dosed high enough, this was many times over the recommended daily dose on the bottle (says 1 pill twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening).

Also consider the price of the product since it's not cheap. For such a price, the consumer may buy a more healthy yet more functional product, or even for less.

Advising the use of Ginkgo Biloba for cognitive improvement seems so vague to me, amounting to the statement made by some "health professionals" that "regular consumption of green tea may help fight cancer." May help fight cancer? What's the mechanism of action? If it really is so helpful in fighting cancer, why not take the active drugs and prescribe them to cancer patients? If the active drugs are not know, how on Earth can any statement about the efficacy in the treatment of cancer be seriously made?

Do you get my point? It seems to be emotional, vague nonsense that is made almost deliberately every 5 years or so about a new product in order to keep the consumers interested in their health, although the products advised aren't actually healthy at all.

As for OP's mentioning of theanine, I am not sure about GABA but I do regularly take theanine (suntheanine) and in low dosages (200mg) I become relaxed without becoming sleepy. However, in 400mg dosages or even higher I get too relaxed (sedated?) to do my regular physical exercises, although mental tasks are not much more difficult to do.

Is this GABA related? I am not sure.

Of course, you may not consider the personal experiences of others as "proof" so this may be unuseful to you.

#7 Godof Smallthings

• 710 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 02:30 PM

There is a lot of BS out there regarding supplements. Examine.com I have found to be the best so far. Several notches above the rest.

Here is their take on green tea catechins (read the summarized research section at the bottom for info about cancer and green tea catechins):

http://examine.com/s... Tea Catechins/

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:48 AM

I take Ginkgo to keep me warm in the winter. If you're doing for anything else, I suppose you have fun wasting money?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gaba

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users