ocd adhd executive function

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:00 AM

Unsupervised Habits Reign in Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

A lack of control in the brain’s executive regions may allow repetitive behaviors to run amok

An individual with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is overcome with an urge to engage in unproductive habits, such as excessive hand washing or lock checking. 

The finding suggests that shoring up the goal-directed systems through cognitive training might help people with OCD.

http://www.scientifi...lsive-disorder/

I have OCD, but also recently diagnosed with ADHD and social phobia. I think It was all rooted to ADHD to begin with. I know it's hard to function when one has severe OCD therefore the article above seems to be on point regarding lack of control in the brain's executive regions, which is also the same problem with ADHD sufferers. My example when my OCD was at its worst was that locking doors seemed like a task, I had to do it several times, sometimes just standing there for 30 or so minutes before I could walk away from it knowing it's been done "right" when locking doors should be a simple task (in other words I lacked executive function, etc.). My OCD is no longer severe but it's still there.

Edited by eon, 04 May 2015 - 07:07 AM.

#2 Dichotohmy

• 201 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:59 PM

I'm sure you know that adhd and ocd are common comorbids.

In my case, years of living with uncontrolled adhd may have made me develope ocd personality traits as a damage control mechanism. By that I mean I plan out details and scenarios in my head not because the thoughts are intrusive, but because I know damn well there's a high probability of my forgetting something important at game time. I recheck the doors, garage door, stove, faucets, windows, that I have my keys, etc because I've either forgotten those things or left them wide open for any burgaler way too many times to count - not because I feel a compulsive "need" to.

Edited by Dichotohmy, 05 May 2015 - 07:01 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:02 AM

But if what I described at the start of the thread is valid, why some people say some ADHD medications (amphetamines) may make one's OCD or anxiety worse? It could be just hearsay or assumption but from what I understand amphetamines has a paradoxical way of working for people with ADHD. Those who are "hyper" tend to be calmed down when on amphetamines whereas those who have no ADHD but simply using amphetamine recreationally may become "hyper". Another paradoxical example I notice is when I went on to do a ketogenic diet (which is high fat, adequate protein) yet I never gained any fat. In fact, I actually lost weight.

Would the amphetamine then cool down my anxieties (panic disorder, anxiety, and OCD mainly)? We shall see. I still haven't tried Vyvanse yet.

#4 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:38 PM

I've had discussions with a number of people who sorted out either ADHD or OCD symptoms with uridine + cofactors. I'd be thinking this would be mostly related to the dopamine modulation, etc. :)

#5 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:18 AM

Update from my last post: I've tried Vyvanse for a few days now, I notice no anxiety or any OCD getting worse, if anything I think I have better cognitive control. I have a history pf panic attack and "almost" had one  about 2 days ago but for some reason it vanished in about 2 minutes compared to the usual 10 minute panic attack. My mind seems to be in better control just by knowing it's just "another panic attack". So it felt great knowing I was in control rather than the full on confusion that comes when a panic attack is happening.

Edited by eon, 13 May 2015 - 08:19 AM.

#6 pheanix997

• 213 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:59 PM

I'm sure you know that adhd and ocd are common comorbids.

In my case, years of living with uncontrolled adhd may have made me develope ocd personality traits as a damage control mechanism. By that I mean I plan out details and scenarios in my head not because the thoughts are intrusive, but because I know damn well there's a high probability of my forgetting something important at game time. I recheck the doors, garage door, stove, faucets, windows, that I have my keys, etc because I've either forgotten those things or left them wide open for any burgaler way too many times to count - not because I feel a compulsive "need" to.

I am exactly the same way and can relate 100%. I was recently diagnosed with ADD PI - stimulants are helping tremendously. My friends used to think I was OCD because I'd always pat my pockets to make sure my phone, keys, and wallet were in there. I only do that because, being untreated ADHD my whole life, I have embarrassed myself repeatedly by forgetting these and other key items at home. 

#7 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:20 AM

what's an ADD PI? What meds are you on? I wonder why coffee as stimulants just does not do it? Another curiosity of mine is can I take neuroactive B vitamins while on Vyvanse? I'm talking about B12 and the other B vitamins. I see no interaction notice anywhere so I'm assuming it's fine. Do you take B vitamins?

#8 pheanix997

• 213 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:14 AM

what's an ADD PI? What meds are you on? I wonder why coffee as stimulants just does not do it? Another curiosity of mine is can I take neuroactive B vitamins while on Vyvanse? I'm talking about B12 and the other B vitamins. I see no interaction notice anywhere so I'm assuming it's fine. Do you take B vitamins?

ADDI Primarily Inattentive. I'm on Concerta. Working very good. I've taken high quality fish oil and vitamins in the past, but haven't for a bit. Didn't really notice a change. I'm on a fairly moderate-high Concerta dose so I guess I needed medication first to notice changes, diet second. Whereas people with mild ADD may benefit more from diet changes and minimal medication if any.  

#9 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:36 AM

There was an article I came across recently about high altitude places have less people with ADHD, I'm trying to figure out why that is...

#10 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:42 AM

While studies linking GABA with ADHD is still limited, the article/study below is an interesting read. What if all this time dopamine was never the issue with ADHD and stimulants were never the answer but more GABAergic drugs instead, could this be a similar situation with serotonin as being the hypothesis to the cause of depression and since SSRIs are still waiting to be replaced, I wonder if dopamine releasers (amphetamines/stimulants) could be the wrong drugs all along? Then again it's proven effective as well but one thing I noticed when I used kava kava, a known gabaergic with dopaminergic reuptake inhibition, my productivity was great, the euphoria was there, the OCD lessened due to GABAergic activity. If anyone here have a suggestion what some good GABAergic drugs are, let us all know. What do you think of the study below?

Reduced GABA Concentration in Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder

#11 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2015 - 07:14 AM

Has anyone here looked into gabapentinoids for OCD? I know it has a lot of off label uses that aren't even listed or even studied yet since it seems to be so new. Even for ADHD, scientists are looking into the GABA, since the dopamine/NE is already established and or old knowledge.

#12 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:31 AM

the wasted time and lack of executive function due to too much obsessing (in OCD), could this be a dopaminergic issue as well considering that's more linked to lack of executive function in ADHD. I and others I know with OCD have wasted much time just having repetitive thoughts. Although the OCD has lessened throughout the years whether the compounds I have used helped (I know they did), or whether my prescription amphetamine was also responsible for lessening OCD as well (I have used Vyvanse and Dexedrine Spansule). The reviews of other amphetamines have mentioned all OCD and anxieties have been destroyed. I know there can be paradoxical effects in some people where amphetamines can induce OCD like behaviours. Anyone else here feel as if dopaminergics are also helpful with OCD, since I know it's the gabaergics that are more looked into for OCD treatments like the gabapentinoid class of drugs (gabapentin, etc.). Kava is a good dopaminergic and gabaergic product I have used before.  Any comments or updates regarding their OCD regimens? 

Anyone else feel as if OCD is also linked with Hoarding? I do. I was a hoarder. I think the excess obsession contributed to me hoarding things because I can't "think" right and with the repetitiveness thoughts and ideas, I tend to put things off that the stuff that's unimportant ends up getting collected by way of hoarding them as if I have an emotional attachment with them (materialism). 

#13 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:57 AM

"The golden rule is to do the opposite of what your OCD tells you," said Wiegand. "If it wants you to take a step away from the spider, you take a step toward the spider."

http://www.news-medi...m-from-OCD.aspx

#14 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:23 PM

"The golden rule is to do the opposite of what your OCD tells you," said Wiegand. "If it wants you to take a step away from the spider, you take a step toward the spider."

Sounds fully logical and like a breeze, but in practise this is of course literally impossible without a competent coach, or medication of course.

Currently undergoing S-OCD (for about 6 months I would say - other lesser OCD-traits have come and gone through the years) comorbid with Sluggish Cognitive Tempo and Burnout - I've been trying some CBT-like techniques, trying to argue with myself litterally - saying the opposite of the intrusive and illogical thoughts (of me deserving immediate death for any weakness or failure of any kind) and I have to say it's kind of a bust, when you try it yourself.

Of course, me losing the strength to do so, is a part of burnout and SCT as well...

I have noticed some improvement from HEROIC Magnesium-L-Threonate dosing - 3,3 GRAMS (6 times the normal daily dosage - and this stuff has the highest blood-brain-barrier penetration of any magnesium-compound ever created - so you can probably make that out to 6,6 GRAMS of magnesium citrate - AT LEAST...!) and Tianeptine.

However, I need more... something more to crush OCD.

Have you heard of Metadoxine? A medication created to treat alcoholism, which was recently trialled for ADHD-PI, but which failed the final Phase 3 trial. It works by enhancing GABA-ergic signalling, while also increasing cathecolaminergic synthesis.

It's a combo of Vitamin B6 and some amino-acid. I'm too tired to link ya', but the info is out there.

What do you think? Could it be useful?

#15 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:19 AM

I have to look into Metadoxine, is it even being sold?

Have you tried other gabaergic herbs like rosemary or lemon balm? How about Kava? Kava was good, plus it is dopaminergic as well (and euphoric).

The ADHD med called Desoxyn (aka methamphetamine) was said to erase all OCD and anxiety (according to its reviews by patients on drugs.com). Kinda interesting that it's a drug with stigma attached yet praised as the "cadillac of all amphetamines". I guess those Kamikazes and Nazis were so brave to a point they lack anxiety and fear (which could be seen as uninhibited therefore one can get things done no matter what it is holding them back).

Sounds fully logical and like a breeze, but in practise this is of course literally impossible without a competent coach, or medication of course.

Currently undergoing S-OCD (for about 6 months I would say - other lesser OCD-traits have come and gone through the years) comorbid with Sluggish Cognitive Tempo and Burnout - I've been trying some CBT-like techniques, trying to argue with myself litterally - saying the opposite of the intrusive and illogical thoughts (of me deserving immediate death for any weakness or failure of any kind) and I have to say it's kind of a bust, when you try it yourself.

Of course, me losing the strength to do so, is a part of burnout and SCT as well...

I have noticed some improvement from HEROIC Magnesium-L-Threonate dosing - 3,3 GRAMS (6 times the normal daily dosage - and this stuff has the highest blood-brain-barrier penetration of any magnesium-compound ever created - so you can probably make that out to 6,6 GRAMS of magnesium citrate - AT LEAST...!) and Tianeptine.

However, I need more... something more to crush OCD.

Have you heard of Metadoxine? A medication created to treat alcoholism, which was recently trialled for ADHD-PI, but which failed the final Phase 3 trial. It works by enhancing GABA-ergic signalling, while also increasing cathecolaminergic synthesis.

It's a combo of Vitamin B6 and some amino-acid. I'm too tired to link ya', but the info is out there.

What do you think? Could it be useful?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#16 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:29 AM

Just checked on Metadoxine and it sounds promising. I'm not sure how it failed clinical trial "phase", must be because other pharmaceutical giants don't want any other competition considering it isn't a controlled drug as well. Metadoxine could easily become a "nutraceutical" drug/OTC considering it is simply made from a b vitamin and some amino acid.

http://www.alcobra-p...om/products.cfm

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ocd, adhd, executive function

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users