Over stimulated alot of anxity racy thought sleepless nights, any suggestions

brain mental health anxiety

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 timhill88@outlook.com

• 154 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:08 PM

Hi everyone,

I have had severe anxtey for years, I cant even have a multivitmain I wanted to increase my GABA, I tired L-gultamine but that set me off badley so I want to stick to foods,

Do you think

• Almonds, tree nuts (10.3 g.)
  • Banana (220 mg.)
  • Beef liver (6.5 g.)
  • Broccoli (740 mg.)
  • Brown Rice (940 mg.)
  • Halibut (7.9 g.)
  • Lentils (2.8 g.)
  • Oats, whole grain (7.4 g)
  • Oranges, citrus fruits (210 mg.)
  • Potato (830 mg.)
  • Rice Bran (3.7 g)
  • Spinach (680 mg.)
  • Walnuts, tree nuts (5.4 g.)
  • Whole Wheat, whole grain (8.6 g.)

source: http://www.siliconva...Methods-Natural

do you think i shud increase GABa and other neuro tranmitters at the same time??

#2 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:43 PM

The best long term solution for anxiety and sleep problems is meditation.

However, a really kickass short term solution is Phenibut, a gabergic russian antidepressant. I've been using it for about a year now and it clears out the anxiety and puts you right to sleep, however you can only use it about 3 times a week due to tolerance curve.
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 timhill88@outlook.com

• Topic Starter
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:32 PM

Hey Thank you,

How did your anxiety start? Mine started from taking too many nootropics, cofee and modafinil all at the same time :(

#4 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:43 AM

I would not recommend phenibut in the least. It is more addictive than benzos.

I used to be in your shoes for 15 years until I found Clonidine, which seemed to make me sleep despite my thoughts (I would sometimes nod off in front of my computer, my mind fully active). Before that, I was on Seroquel + Zyprexa to sleep, potent antipsychotics just to get some rest. I had tried every sleeping pill before going there, of course. Clonidine changed my life. And I'm not even on it any more. After 2 years on it, it seemed to reset my circadian rhythm and now I just got tired at night
  • Agree x 1

#5 timhill88@outlook.com

• Topic Starter
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:25 PM

Ah man, I ordered mine and its on way as well :( phenibu

#6 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:17 PM

You can use it occasionallly. But I would keep it to 1-2 times per week, as tolerance is rapid and the addiction potential is high.

Look into the Clonidine, it can be prescribed by your physician and it is not a controlled substance.
You can use it occasionallly. But I would keep it to 1-2 times per week, as tolerance is rapid and the addiction potential is high.

Look into the Clonidine, it can be prescribed by your physician and it is not a controlled substance.

#7 triffid113

• 48 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:29 PM

For sleep problems, first try melatonin (5 - 10 mg). If that does not work, and yoyr problems is not caused by xaffeine or drugs, then you are probably (in my experience certainly) deficient in magnesiu. This is serious as your heart needs magnesium. Find yourself a magnesium citrate supplemwnt to your liking (citrate because it resists stone formation). (I use a calcoum magnesium citrate supplement 1:1ratio). If this does not work youay not be absorbing it. For instance yiy nay have low stomach acid or candida. You should buy a magnesium oul you rub on then and work on your absorption issues.

Depending on your age you may want to try DHEA for anviety. It works like a charm for ne. Alternately yiu could try tulso (holy basil). This is an antisepressant that raises dopamibe, seratonon, and lowers cortisol in 72 hours (faster than zoloft). Idk if yhat means it will help with anxiety, but the lowered cortisol withh help a bit with sleep. Nothing will cancel out too much xaffeine though. 2 cups of coffee raise cirtisol 33%. How much xaffeibe do you drink?
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#8 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:05 PM

For sleep problems, first try melatonin (5 - 10 mg). If that does not work, and yoyr problems is not caused by xaffeine or drugs, then you are probably (in my experience certainly) deficient in magnesiu. This is serious as your heart needs magnesium. Find yourself a magnesium citrate supplemwnt to your liking (citrate because it resists stone formation). (I use a calcoum magnesium citrate supplement 1:1ratio). If this does not work youay not be absorbing it. For instance yiy nay have low stomach acid or candida. You should buy a magnesium oul you rub on then and work on your absorption issues.

Depending on your age you may want to try DHEA for anviety. It works like a charm for ne. Alternately yiu could try tulso (holy basil). This is an antisepressant that raises dopamibe, seratonon, and lowers cortisol in 72 hours (faster than zoloft). Idk if yhat means it will help with anxiety, but the lowered cortisol withh help a bit with sleep. Nothing will cancel out too much xaffeine though. 2 cups of coffee raise cirtisol 33%. How much xaffeibe do you drink?

I don't mean to be rude, but this is just all wrong. It's a collection of things I often see on site like naturalnews.

First of all, your experience does not equal someone else's experience. Just because magnesium helped you, does not mean it will help someone else.

If he were truly magnesium deficient, he would be having severe health problems, like issues with his kidneys. Just because extra mangesium helps one sleep, does not indicate a deficiency.

The pH of one's stomach is very strictly regulated. If a person had low stomach acid, they would have severe indigestion, as they wouldn't be processing their food properly. 'Candida issues' in immuno-healthy people is pure junk science, and just serves as a means for website after website to sell you random 'cure' after random cure, none of which ever seem to be the same.

DHEA is also a neurosteroid and a negative allosteric modulator at the neurosteroid site on the GABA-A receptor, reducing the strength of the GABA signal. This is the opposite of what a benzodiazapine does, and can increase some people's anxiety. DHEA activates the sigma-1 receptor, something we know very little about, and is a full agonist at the ER-Beta estrogen receptor, increasing/simulating the effects of estrogen. it does not increase serotonin nor dopamine, and its effects on cortisol are no yet clear. Additionally, taking steroidal hormones such as this can have drastic effects on some people, and should not be used as a first line treatment for anyone.

And please cite a study showing that 2 cups of coffee can increase cortisol by 33%, and for how long.

Sorry to be harsh, but it's important that OP get the right info.

Edited by OneScrewLoose, 22 May 2015 - 10:08 PM.

• Informative x 1

#9 triffid113

• 48 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:41 AM

I did not say DHEA raised dopamine etc...TULSI does that. There were a number of studies showing success of high dose DHEA for depression at the time I started taking it. However *I* startwd taking it for high blood pressure (I have genetic stage 3 hypertension and DHEA is how I've been successfully controlling my blood pressure for 7 years). I started that because my blood pressure was only high during PMS - obviously a hormonal connnection, but bioidentical hormonevreplacement did not fix it...DHEA did. There are studies now that show this, but I was a pioneer. PMS for me caused anxiety and menopause was PMS and anxiety forever. 50 mg DHEA and I felt like I went thriugh a funhouse mirrir and came out normal -- no anxiety. I did not need to research something so effective. Howver ther WERE studies regarding high dosr DHEA and depression. I myself do take high dose DHEA... 75 mg. I do not advoxate others do that but each to what works for them.

I have since learned DHEA is used up for some reason fighting off flu and pethaps others infections (perhaps even allergies, which I suffer greatly from) so perhaps I need more than the next person for such a reason...fact remains, whatever the cause...my symptom of constant anxiety is totally fixed by DHEA. I would be house bound w/o it ( although actually I had adaptef somewhat by looking at my feet instead of at the anxiety and dizzy causing world when I had to get around. I found the fix very fast luckily.

I am not going to look up studies for you. They are there. .Caffeine raises cortisol...this is well known. If you want to split hairs about whether it's a Starbucks cup of coffee or a McDonalds cup of coffee that raises cortisol 15%, you are free to refine this as much as it matters to you to do. fyi cortisol is a major killer of brain cells. Coffee is also ROASTED and as such consumption is linked to pancreatic cancer. Science already knows roasted meat is a carcinogen but coffee is roasted too. Turns out a study showed did not matter if caf or decaf because both are roasted. I still drink coffee, but if I had known all this I would not have drunk it like a fish in my younger years.

I don't know that much about xandida but I know a lot about hypochlorhydria vecause I have that. Yes it does serioysky upset your digestion. In fact it causes very light colored stool, floating stool, diarrhea, and frequent nutritional deficiencies. It also allows me to eat 7 HCL pills with a meal and not even feel it. So? Your point? I said if you cannot efficietly absorb magnesium through the stomach you can get it through the skin and I stand by that. fyi I do not always have absorption issues...mine seem to occur in conjunction with other allergies and there are supplements I use to improve/banish this problem (until next allergy), but that's another topic. I am not a basket case because over the years I've figured out what to do for many things...drugfree. What worked for me (and I do read a LOT of studies) might be worth someone else checking studies and trying for themselves if they like. No one ever helped me and I would have given alot for just this sort of help. A lot of you here are young people from the siunds of it relying heavily on drugs, all of which have side effects...not the least of which is that if yoyr symptom is caused by a nutritional deficiency and you do not fix it you eventually wreck your health. In other words there is no drug your body is made to need in the sense that we need vitamins and minerals. Ignore it at your peril.

Many studies show magnesium gelos sleep. But YOU CANNOT TELL IF YOU ARE NOT DEFICIENT IN MAGNESIUM FROM A BLOOD TEST. Having sufficient magnesium in the blood in no way indicates sufficient nagnesium in the atria of the heart! So therefore it is WISE to take symptoms of insufficiebt magbesium into account. Magnesuum is typically deficient in the American diet. Greens are a major source if magnesium and most Americans eat very little of it. The govetnment now recommends 7-9 fruits and veggies/ day for health and the average American eats only 2. Magnesium is needed for energy also (ATP) and the heart and vrain are the two biggest users of enetgy. Ignore this if you want, but it is not wise.

#10 triffid113

• 48 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:10 AM

Also I did not mention anything above from wrbsites but from reading studies at google/scholar and trying things myself. Idk about immune-healthy (or why that pertains) but I have had thrush periodically as a result of hypochlorhydria, and that is candida. I don't believe I have a nalfunctioning immune system - in fact I'd say it is HYPERactive with my allergies and all. I throw off colds in one day. I do not believe in the candida regimens out there myself. Imho if you have enough stomach acid you do not have candida. I don't wabt to get into candida though because a lot of people eat very gut unfriendly (pop and junk food) diets and I suppose all kinds of nightmares might happen in that xase. In other words it's easy to say the candida websites are crazy if you have a healthy diet. I Would not care to say what hoops you might have to jump through to regain heakth if your diet is crap.

#11 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:11 AM

I did not say DHEA raised dopamine etc...TULSI does that. There were a number of studies showing success of high dose DHEA for depression at the time I started taking it. However *I* startwd taking it for high blood pressure (I have genetic stage 3 hypertension and DHEA is how I've been successfully controlling my blood pressure for 7 years). I started that because my blood pressure was only high during PMS - obviously a hormonal connnection, but bioidentical hormonevreplacement did not fix it...DHEA did. There are studies now that show this, but I was a pioneer. PMS for me caused anxiety and menopause was PMS and anxiety forever. 50 mg DHEA and I felt like I went thriugh a funhouse mirrir and came out normal -- no anxiety. I did not need to research something so effective. Howver ther WERE studies regarding high dosr DHEA and depression. I myself do take high dose DHEA... 75 mg. I do not advoxate others do that but each to what works for them.

I'm glad it works for you. But before you started recommending it to everyone, take a look at someone else's experiences. These things vary so greatly, and hormones should not be the first choice of action in dealing with health problems, though down the line, if other things don't work, it can be a good option.

I have since learned DHEA is used up for some reason fighting off flu and pethaps others infections (perhaps even allergies, which I suffer greatly from) so perhaps I need more than the next person for such a reason...fact remains, whatever the cause...my symptom of constant anxiety is totally fixed by DHEA. I would be house bound w/o it ( although actually I had adaptef somewhat by looking at my feet instead of at the anxiety and dizzy causing world when I had to get around. I found the fix very fast luckily.

Wat? It fights off the flu? Is this just your experience? If so, that would make sense, as reduced anxiety would allow you to handle these things better. There's no evidence, however, that DHEA itself effects the duration of the flu directly.

I am not going to look up studies for you. They are there. .Caffeine raises cortisol...this is well known. If you want to split hairs about whether it's a Starbucks cup of coffee or a McDonalds cup of coffee that raises cortisol 15%, you are free to refine this as much as it matters to you to do. fyi cortisol is a major killer of brain cells. Coffee is also ROASTED and as such consumption is linked to pancreatic cancer. Science already knows roasted meat is a carcinogen but coffee is roasted too. Turns out a study showed did not matter if caf or decaf because both are roasted. I still drink coffee, but if I had known all this I would not have drunk it like a fish in my younger years.

I don't think you get how research and science work. If you make a claim, you have the burden of proof. It's that simple. You're also going to have to cite something that shows cortisol kills brain cells.

I don't know that much about xandida but I know a lot about hypochlorhydria vecause I have that. Yes it does serioysky upset your digestion. In fact it causes very light colored stool, floating stool, diarrhea, and frequent nutritional deficiencies. It also allows me to eat 7 HCL pills with a meal and not even feel it. So? Your point? I said if you cannot efficietly absorb magnesium through the stomach you can get it through the skin and I stand by that. fyi I do not always have absorption issues...mine seem to occur in conjunction with other allergies and there are supplements I use to improve/banish this problem (until next allergy), but that's another topic. I am not a basket case because over the years I've figured out what to do for many things...drugfree. What worked for me (and I do read a LOT of studies) might be worth someone else checking studies and trying for themselves if they like. No one ever helped me and I would have given alot for just this sort of help. A lot of you here are young people from the siunds of it relying heavily on drugs, all of which have side effects...not the least of which is that if yoyr symptom is caused by a nutritional deficiency and you do not fix it you eventually wreck your health. In other words there is no drug your body is made to need in the sense that we need vitamins and minerals. Ignore it at your peril.

The distinction between 'drugs' and 'supplements' is a purely cultural one. The first drug to be subjected to prohibition in the west was coffee in the 1600s.

Your body isn't made to need or not need anything. You're talking vitalism here, in this case of vitalism, that the body has inherent knowledge to cure all of our diseases. This is simply not true. We are humans through are genetics, and genetics are the basis of our existence. For us as a species, we can also be greatly influenced by our environment, not leaving us solely subjected to genetics like a rat might be. Nonetheless, if you're genes are broken, no amount of nutrition or supplements will heal it. People with cystic fibrosis lack a certain protein due to their genes. People with ADHD seem to have mutations at dopamine receptors, specifically D4. Look up 'Elephantitis'. It's a horrific disease where a mutations destroys the body's ability to find and remove precancerous cells. These people are covered in tumors and often die at a young age. There is no nutrition that can fix this, just as you can't make your brown eyes blue.

Many studies show magnesium gelos sleep. But YOU CANNOT TELL IF YOU ARE NOT DEFICIENT IN MAGNESIUM FROM A BLOOD TEST. Having sufficient magnesium in the blood in no way indicates sufficient nagnesium in the atria of the heart! So therefore it is WISE to take symptoms of insufficiebt magbesium into account. Magnesuum is typically deficient in the American diet. Greens are a major source if magnesium and most Americans eat very little of it. The govetnment now recommends 7-9 fruits and veggies/ day for health and the average American eats only 2. Magnesium is needed for energy also (ATP) and the heart and vrain are the two biggest users of enetgy. Ignore this if you want, but it is not wise.

Low levels of magnesium would be dangerous or deadly. What you are talking about would be less than optimal levels, which I then completely agree with. Here's what can happen if you have an actual deficiency.

And btw, around here, your word and your experience doesn't qualify as science, and neither does mine. People back up their claims here with sources and studies, and I suggest you do the same.

#12 triffid113

• 48 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:18 AM

Drat - I see I loat one of my replues. I myself have hypochlorhydria periodixally...concurrent with other allergies. ( I am not saying it is an allergy but thay my allergies seem to use up zinc at a ferocious rate and zinc is needed to make stomach acid). Yes it xauaes all sorts of dogestive distuebances...so? It takes awhile before these become nanifest. Actuallly an early symptom can de depressuon from inflammation, for instance H2O2 dedtroys BH4 whiches is neddef to make dopsmine and seritonin. An early symptom for me is inability to sleep. In fact it is rare that I cannot sleep so it always means something is up and indeed digestive disturbances FOLLOW.

#13 triffid113

• 48 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:22 AM

No I get how research works but you are mistaken if you thibk this - blog thing or whatever yiu call it - is it. I don't HAVE to do anything. I bring up what I kow or what works for me. If that sounds like a lead someone wants to follow THEY do their OWN reseatch and TAKE RESPONSIBILTY FOR THEIR OWN HEALTH!

#14 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:32 AM

Yes, you don't have to do shit. But people will not take you seriously around here if you are making bold claims and refuse to back them up.

BTW, I used to be intolerant to gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, nuts and peanuts. It was easier to say what I could eat: meats, fruits, vegetables, rice, potato and corn. It was especially brutal on my social life, I spent so much time home alone cooking instead of going out. All this changed with LDA (Low-Dose Allergens), aka EPD (Enzyme Potentiated Desensitization). It changed my life, and now I eat whatever I want. If you have allergies, I highly recommend looking into it.

Also, what is your native language?

#15 triffid113

• 48 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:15 AM

My native tongue us American but I am on a call - hence all the typos. I get foid allergies only when I am low on zinc ( which makes skin and wuth insufficient zinc pire size is karfer causing absorption of undigested foid) My main allergies are airborbe. In winter cold dry air alone sets iff my alletgies. Nothing works that doesn't also causr lack of coordination, lack of short term memory, water retention, etc.. Flonase used to work but it stopped working. I'm alletgic to grass seed and ragweed mostly...my alletgist says I have the worst alletgies hr' s ever seen.

My only intent here is to provide clues to others not to replace their need for researching and taking responsibility for their own health. I think you might want to look up the meaning of the word 'vitamin'. So for instance 90% of Americans will have high blood pressure at some time in their lives. Most will take drugs. But it can be caused by low calcium or low magnesium or high salt and if they take the drug and ignore the cause the result can be osteo issues, heart attack, etc. Not to mention that bp drugs desrroy yoyr kidneys over time. So if you know that and decide drugs are easier and you accept the cobsequences then fine. But you should make that choice consciously.

I have many broken genes in the nethyl cycle. Thus I am deficient in active (usable) b vitamins ( regardless if diet) and must supplement with active b's. This is still a normal nutritional need...I just gad to find a soecial way to meet it. Sometimes, I sgree, the normal substance yiyrbody is supposed to make xan be labelled a drug but that's legal bs, not science. For instance methylatedvestrifen is being patented as a cancer cure. But if you supplement your b vitamins etc to make your methyl cycle work, you methylate yoyr own estrogen.

I sm a member of lef.org..they are the ones advocating dhea for flu. Worked for me 2 years ago when that flu was killing people of kidney failure. Lotta people I knew hospitalized...not me. It costs aot of $ for tests...I do take a lot if tesrs because you cant control what u cant measure...but there is a limit. It only recently occurred to me DHEA might help allergy symptoms ( depression, thyroud, adrenal type secondary problens caysed by allergies). Costs money to test if DHEA is low at that time but may be worthwhile. I am aware that

#16 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:20 AM

Your post is really unclear, sorry.

#17 triffid113

• 48 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:22 AM

I am aware DHEA doesnt seem to work for everyone and not sure I'd take it if uder 50 (actually I would take it lower dose) but the studies are all on age 50+. I think it's something useful to check out. One guy told me it cured his duabetes, another said it did diddly squat for his depression (but he did not take a high dose so who knows?). Each must decide for oneself what to try and how nuch. It was a no brainer for me becayse of the hormonal clues.

#18 triffid113

• 48 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:25 AM

oh - I am on a cell phone. I cannot type well here.

#19 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:30 AM

I am aware DHEA doesnt seem to work for everyone and not sure I'd take it if uder 50 (actually I would take it lower dose) but the studies are all on age 50+. I think it's something useful to check out. One guy told me it cured his duabetes, another said it did diddly squat for his depression (but he did not take a high dose so who knows?). Each must decide for oneself what to try and how nuch. It was a no brainer for me becayse of the hormonal clues.

Yeah, I'm not arguing with this. What I was arguing against was using it as a first-line treatment, when OP hadn't even tried anything else yet. DHEA can have severe side effects in some people, and it would be much wiser for OP to try many other things before DHEA.

#20 triffid113

• 48 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:35 AM

Yes drugs nay be the onky way medicine knows how to cure some things. But they are not looking for the unpatentable missing vitamins underlying many or most health problems. For instance science often looks for an infectuous agent underlying many illnesses and proposes drugs for that rather than looking at the SUBSTRATE - the CONDITIONS of the person's health that allow that infectioys agent to grow. Or they cut out a cancer w/o addressing dietary deficiencies (eg b vitamins) that cause cancer or chemical intakes..so the person gets cancer again. Or they put in a heart stent w/o addressing need for K2 to take calcium out of the arteries and put it in the bones...so the stent clogs. These things do not heal people...they are just ways to fleece people of $ as they die.

#21 triffid113

• 48 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:47 AM

It depends on dp - his age, and his own research and opinions. I think DHEA is the greatest thing since sliced bread. If it is a bandaide for another problem thus not fixed that isn't good but I supplement everything...no real chance of deficiencies, so I would lrap to DHEA 1st thing. But so many peple not take little or no vitamins...they think their food has far more vitamins than it does. So if that is the case then sure..anyone with mental issues and no cancer should try b vitamins. But even if they do not work I think everyone needs them. b to run the methyl cycle and make bh4 for neurotransmitters (which also use enzymes with b cofactors) and b to run the kteb cycle to make energy for the brain ... these are primary.

#22 triffid113

• 48 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:50 AM

Last word here is I'd rather jump to natural dhea than jump to unnatural drugs as was suggested here.

my last word - I cannot type anymore.

#23 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:00 AM

There is no difference between 'synthetics', natural supplements, and 'drugs'. It's just cultural distinction.

The most potent hallucinogen you can take is called Datura, beating out synthetic things like acid. It can also be quite dangerous.

The natural opium is far more addictive than the majority of synthetic substances.

Insulin is now grown in a lab as a GMO (human insulin DNA gets inserted into bacteria and then farmed), as opposed to the expensive process of taking it from a pig pancreas. This was revolutionary for type 1 diabetics.

Cocaine is a natural product found in the coca leaf. And before you go into the concentration being the problem, I'm sure you take supplements that are plenty concentrated.

MDMA, a synthetic substance, has shown to be one of the most effective treatments for PTSD.

Before antipsychotics, people were just locked up in facilities and often had to endure electroconvulsive therapy, which unlike today where they put you under, was done starting with the person being awake..

Lithium is a natural mood-stabilizer. But at the doses often required to treat Bipolar (900mg), it can be less safe than the synthetic options like Depakote. At 900mg of natural Lithium, one's blood must be constantly monitored.

The natural aspirin can have side effects and be especially harsh on some people's stomachs, so a synthetic medicine for heart health would be a better option for these people. Same with taking Ibuprofen over aspirin if you have these side effects.

In the 1920s, there was an attempt to create a synthetic version of the active ingredient in the plant Ma Huang, which was ephedrine. The result of this became known as amphetamine. There are quite a number of cases of people dying from ephedrine overdose, btw.

Caffeine is one of the most addictive drugs out there.

The most dangerous drugs we know of are natural: Alcohol and Tobacco, with cocaine and opium not too far behind. Smoking 100% natural tobacco does not reduce the health risks associated with tobacco.

Alcohol works on the same receptor site as valium, and also releases endorphins, make it a quasi-opiate (that's a bit simplistic though, but it gets the point across here). It's considered the most harmful drug there is when combining the effects on the individual with the effects on society.

The only reason natural seems safer is because thousands of years ago, people in tribes tried the random berries and leaves, and just up and fucking died. The rest of the tribe then knew not to eat those, and now we are left with a culture that only eats the safe things. However, I would much rather take 3 random pharmaceuticals in a pharmacy than eat 3 random berries in a forest.

The DHEA you take, btw, is completely synthetic. And that's OK.

The natural vs synthetic/drug distinction is simply a cultural belief.

Edited by OneScrewLoose, 27 May 2015 - 05:02 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#24 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:08 AM

Vitamins was an idea created in the 19th century, and quite impressive for it's time. Vitamin stood for 'vital mineral'. It was believed that these were substances that the body could not produce on its own, and had to be ingested through food. Although this turned out to be the case for some of them, for a lot of them, like Vitamin D, your body could produce them on their own.

Almost all vitamins are synthetic these days. And that's no problem, because vitamins have important uses, and deriving them from natural sources would make them far more economically inaccessible to most people.

A good dose of Vitamin D3 (~2000IU/day) can go a long way in disease prevention. Methylfolate (a special form of folate), can overcome genetic defects at the 5-MTHFR gene. Folic acid can help make healthier babies, but has also been linked to cancer in above-RDA doses, especially prostate cancer.

Balanced tocopherols and tocotrienols can have health benefits. So can Vitamin K. I think vitamins are great. But they do not fix everything.

Unfortunately, since the supplement industry is no better than the pharmaceutical industry, most multis are garbage based around marketing, the most egregious offender, IMO, being 'Alive' by Nature's Way.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brain, mental health, anxiety

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users