• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

heart problems and their effect on the brain?

heart cardiovascular brain cognitive

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 drg

• 332 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:19 PM

I have not been diagnosed with any serious heart problems but at the very least I have pectus excavatum; my doc called it pigeon chest. Basically I have a weak/ inefficient heart but no major structural, blood pressure, or heart rhythm problems.

My bad heart has always been a huge problem when I played sports for two main reasons:

• I get out of breath really easy, and I can't push through. I basically gasp for air and my muscles seize up.
  • I sweat like no one I have ever seen before. I get comments almost every time I play on how much I sweat from other people.

And another thing that I think is related to aerobic exercise is that I become cognitively slower. I have more difficultly speaking/conversing. The longer I play the worse my cognitive functioning and social skills become. Communicating during the game is very hard for me, I usually don't bother, frustrating my team mates.

Does anyone have any ideas if this can happen?

Does anyone have ideas for treatment? to improve cardio or to reduce sweating?

---------

I have experience with two heart medications: beta blockers, and calcium channel blockers. Beta blockers had no positive effects on my aerobic performance but diltiazem (a sodium channel blocker) has had a huge effect on my cardio. I have been working on jogging and I recently jogged 3 km in a reasonable 17minutes. In comparison I did 2km in highschool in 15m30s. No idea why a calcium channel blocker would help my cardio so much, although it has not greatly affected my sweating. My best guess at the reason for my cardio problems is that I overheat causing cognitive effects in the brain. But IDK anyone have ideas?

#2 axonopathy

• Guest Social Engineering Spammer
  • 69 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:09 AM

Hi,

I'm sorry you have to deal with the heart issue, it must be hard to have your participation in sports limited in the manner you describe. 

The effect of the heart on brain health is well-characterized, so your observations about yourself during exercise sound real. A prominent neurosurgeon was quoted as saying that whatever is good for the heart is good for the brain. Conversely, heart problems can deleteriously effect cognitive function, as is observed with hypertension, coronary artery disease, atherosclerotic plaque, etc. 

The cognitive problems you are reporting during exercise could theoretically arise from low-grade hypoxemia (low % oxygen saturation) in the brain. Since your heart is a little inefficient, cardiovascular challenge like running puts stress on your heart; oxygen is preferentially consumed in exercising tissue (e.g., muscles in your legs), leaving too little oxygen for your brain. 

Don't over do it, but most kind of sustained exercise will improve your cardiovascular fitness. I can't speak specifically about your condition, but the cardiovascular system remodels rapidly in response to exercise, via angiogenesis (formation of new blood vessels), myocardial remodeling etc. Good luck. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 drg

• Topic Starter
  • 332 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:55 PM

Hey thanks for the reply.

How would one determine if they had hypoxemia? is there treatments?

How about my overheating theory? it would explain the sweating, idk if the sweating is explained by hypoxemia.

Excessive sweating is sort of an ignored issue, but I believe it to be related to my heart issues. My sweating is above and beyond average. I would be the 0.1% in sweatiest people but only after physical exercise.  

#4 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:34 PM

Heart healthy foods are especially recommended in your case; options include arugula for nitric oxide, beans and nuts, quinoa and rice, plain potatoes, cruciferious and allium vegetables, flax and sardines, berries, kiwis, and dark chocolate.

I wouldn't advise a calcium blocker before every workout, sure it improves your performance, but at what cost?

I get anxious and have sweaty armpits after my last cup of tea, before my first toke off the vape.  In terms of sweating from squats/leg press, I'm probably around the 50th percentile.

Try drinking Gerolsteiner mineral water, it has almost 10x the electrolytes as Gatorade, so even if it doesn't solve your sweating, it will help to keep your electrolytes in balance.

#5 drg

• Topic Starter
  • 332 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:47 PM

Heart healthy foods are especially recommended in your case; options include arugula for nitric oxide, beans and nuts, quinoa and rice, plain potatoes, cruciferious and allium vegetables, flax and sardines, berries, kiwis, and dark chocolate.

I wouldn't advise a calcium blocker before every workout, sure it improves your performance, but at what cost?

I get anxious and have sweaty armpits after my last cup of tea, before my first toke off the vape.  In terms of sweating from squats/leg press, I'm probably around the 50th percentile.

Try drinking Gerolsteiner mineral water, it has almost 10x the electrolytes as Gatorade, so even if it doesn't solve your sweating, it will help to keep your electrolytes in balance.

I take the calcium channel blocker at night and the original reason I took it wasn't for my aerobic performance just good luck and a positive side effect. 

Hmm, nitric oxide sorta ties in with the idea of hypoxemia I will have to definately look into that. When are you having your electrolyte drinks? How long before the work out, etc?

And are you going to your workouts after eating a heavy meal or have it afterwards?

Thx bro

#6 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:34 AM

Does your doctor prescribe it to you for good luck? Docs must be more relaxed in Canada.

I recall arugula has the most nitrates, but one could palate more chard/kale/spinach/broccoli to achieve the same effect [http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/scdocs/doc/689.pdf, tables 1-10].

In addition to the nitrates, you'll get good plant-based iron for your blood cells.

45-60 minutes preworkout, 500cals and 10-15g protein.  Usually a cup of Sencha, Ezekiel toast w/ Kerrygold butter, peanuts (I like to take the shell off myself), and dates (I like soft dates Halawis, Dayris and Khadrawis; http://www.datepeople.net/date-classification)

during the workout i drink only pure glass bottled spring water, but must breathe their horribly recycled, anionic, indoor air.

30-60 minutes postworkout I either make a homemade burrito bowl, 1000cals and 55g protein, or if I'm not too hungry, just 500cals and 25g protein, whey/hemp, almond, berry, banana, mango/pineapple, spring water shake.

postworkout is when i also sip on the Gerolsteiner, could be while cooking, could be 30 mins after finishing the meal.

#7 drg

• Topic Starter
  • 332 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:59 PM

Does your doctor prescribe it to you for good luck? Docs must be more relaxed in Canada.

Lol just think about michael jackson being prescribed IV anesthetics to get to sleep in the USA. You just need to find the right doctor who is willing, or I suppose have a lot of money. I have a good relationship with my doctor because he is helping me deal with a mood disorder.

I will start focusing more on my diet, I know that has always been an issue with my weight training goals. Mostly due to money I just don't eat enough to train properly. I'll see what I can do with my budget and eat before and after.

Also it is very easy to make a gatorade like drink if you are cheap, just get some fruit juice, and add like three pinches of sea salt to a 500ml glass. Tastes alright too.

Wish I could find a solution for my sweating it does bother me when people notice or remark on it. When I forget my towel it is a waterfall coming off my head. 

#8 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:11 PM

Fruit juice is not a significant source of calcium or magnesium.

gerolsteiner-label.jpg

Edited by gamesguru, 19 May 2015 - 07:13 PM.

#9 drg

• Topic Starter
  • 332 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:43 PM

Some of us just gotta make due, and I am not even talking real fruit juice... I use straight koolaid; sugar and water, throw some sea salt in then you got some cheap gatorade. 

I try and keep my food budget to < 10$ a day. And I can't pronounce half the things you have mentioned, haven't heard of them and definitely can't afford them.

#10 drg

• Topic Starter
  • 332 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:43 PM

Some of us just gotta make due, and I am not even talking real fruit juice... I use straight koolaid; sugar and water, throw some sea salt in then you got some cheap gatorade. 

I try and keep my food budget to < 10$ a day. And I can't pronounce half the things you have mentioned, haven't heard of them and definitely can't afford them.

#11 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:50 AM

I can't pronounce half the things you have mentioned, haven't heard of them and definitely can't afford them.

Thanks for a little praise and ego stroking.

If cost and nutrition reign supreme above taste and convenience, there are dirt cheap bicarbonate, magnesium, and calcium salts you should dissolve in water, and the sugar and kool-aid should be skipped altogether.  Dietary intake of electrolytes is typically low, and excessive sweating will cause further chronic, systemic depletion.  I recommended the dates ($4/lb) because they have twice the potassium as bananas, also, white potatoes are very rich in potassium and very cheap.  Sodium should be the EASIEST electrolyte to obtain, as you suggest, just sprinkle some salt into water (or onto food).

Edited by gamesguru, 20 May 2015 - 12:51 AM.

#12 drg

• Topic Starter
  • 332 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:29 AM

Lol thanks for the imput, I know the sugared drink thing is not good, but idk its weird I get the hugest craving for sugared juice after a work out. Although I avoid drinking it at other times.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#13 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:43 AM

It's normal to carb up post workout to replenish energy stores.  Dates are high sugar, and a fruit+protein+almond shake can have over 50g carbs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: heart, cardiovascular, brain, cognitive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users