- - - - -

Sertraline unknown memory issue

sertraline

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 metabrain

• 302 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:07 PM

I need a theory on something. I have severe memory loss, I can remember about a days worth of memory and then everything is blank, I remember who people are, if they are nice people but nothing about them.My short term memory is very bad as well so I struggle to read and follow stories.

For some reason can be almost fully reversed with Sertraline, after about 4 or 5 days a huge chunk of my memory returns but it gives me sexual side effects and mania.

I have tried a number of other medications SSRIs/SNRIs, Seroquel and Lamictal none of which helped to reverse the memory loss. I have also tried a lot of  supplements including Tryptophan to increase my serotonin.

I have had the following tests:

Assessed for dementia and Alzheimers - NEGATIVE

MRI and an MRI scan of my temporal lobes - NO ISSUES

Numerous blood tests - NO ISSUES

I have been Dx'd obstructive sleep apnea, cpap does not reverse my memory issue

The big questions are what is causing my memory loss and what is unique about Sertraline?

Edited by metabrain, 22 May 2015 - 07:26 PM.

#2 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:15 PM

Edit

Edited by Flex, 23 May 2015 - 01:16 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Ok555

• 16 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 May 2015 - 03:43 AM

Sertraline is the most potent (among SSRI\SNRI) on dopamine transporter inhibition thus some say in high doses it can be dopaminergic, others say it is dopaminergic even at 'normal doses'. Maybe you are low metabolizer of sertraline, and it enhances your memory through dopamine. To test this you can try any dopaminergic drug, selegiline for example.

Edited by Ok555, 25 May 2015 - 03:44 AM.

#4 metabrain

• Topic Starter
  • 302 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:46 PM

Sertraline is the most potent (among SSRI\SNRI) on dopamine transporter inhibition thus some say in high doses it can be dopaminergic, others say it is dopaminergic even at 'normal doses'. Maybe you are low metabolizer of sertraline, and it enhances your memory through dopamine. To test this you can try any dopaminergic drug, selegiline for example.

I was wondering the same thing when I saw this chart http://www.preskorn....s/9909_fig1.gif

Would this mean that I am low on dopamine? Is that normal? Can I increase my dopamine safely without tolerance?

#5 Ok555

• 16 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:52 PM

Sorry, I don't want to be mean, just to be  honest, you reason too simplistic, go get Stahl's Essential Psychopharmacology, read it, some of your questions will be resolved many other will rise, but you will gain  basic understanding of  your problem in the context of psychiatry and neurology and it will help you tremendously in the future. There is no such thing as low on dopamine, cause brain as a system is too complex to say that, but dopaminergic drugs have antidepressant and procognitive properties. Tolerance to what? Yes, you can get the tolerance to any drug, it is not the thing you should worry about right now. The least to say you have never mentioned your diagnosis that was made by the doctor who prescribed you Lamictal and Seroqeul.

(Book can be found here http://libgen.in/boo...eaec47c4f1ccac)

Edited by Ok555, 25 May 2015 - 09:00 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:22 AM

Although Sertraline inhibits the DA transporter, it does so at 1/10th the potency of SERT. It's almost negligible.

The more likely explanation is he simply found the right anti-depressant. Depression can significantly shrink the hippocampus, impairing memory up to quite high degrees. Overcoming depression can actually regrow the hippocampus and restore memory.

And of course, this would probably be just one of many factors. But this is likely the central one here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sertraline

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users