anti aging carnosine youth rejuvination

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 markmsb

• 52 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 May 2015 - 10:31 PM

Hey all,

I've seen a few topics that touch in carnosine. But, I've never seen one that deeply discusses in depth experiences , with I hope, this great compound.

I've just started a carnosine regimen and am taking 1500 mg a day. I've been on it 4 days and don't notice anything as of yet in terms of mental or physical change. I also to take Carnitine to offset the lipofuscin amped up by the carnosine supplementation .

I'll keep everyone posted on changes. I'd like to know others stories if they care to share. Thanks!

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 03:40 AM

I've been taking 1 gram of carnosine a day for a number of years now.  I don't think it's something that you will notice; I'd expect improvements to come at a rate too slow to notice.  I think of it mainly as something that may slow decline.  Acetyl carnosine has been used topically to treat cataracts.  Nearly all carnosine on the market is of the non-acetylated variety, though.

Can you say some more about lipofuscin being amped up by carnosine use?  I've not heard of this before.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 markmsb

• Topic Starter
  • 52 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 May 2015 - 05:34 AM

Interesting to hear your experience. I wonder if benefits would be in creased greatly with a bit more carnosine. I've hear there is an enzyme thats breaks down carnosine in the body. So we might need a bit more to overflood that.

As for lipofuscin. Carnsosine speeds of lipofuscin process. I'm not sure how, but l aceytal carnitine and DMAE are supposed to flush out the pigments that build up because of lipofuscin.

I was thinking about taking a mini chance and upping my dose to a maximum of 2 grams. I doubt that I would ever go higher than that.

Edited by markmsb, 30 May 2015 - 05:35 AM.

#4 JohnDoe999

• 128 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:12 AM

I have briefly discussed l carnosine usage with Dr kyriazis, who has written a book on the subject, and who treats patients with it. He means even a dosage of 500 mg is to high. I think he use about, 150 to 200 mg. Niner :do i remember falsely but was it not you that once corrected me on the lipofuscin theory by pointing out a study by Alan lipkiss? Sorry for bring somewhat inaccurate but only on my cell right now.

#5 JohnDoe999

• 128 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:16 AM

I have used first 1000 divided in two doses, then 500 only. About a year maybe. Notice nothing. Use it on same Rationale as niner.

#6 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:45 AM

I am taking an average of 250 mg of l-carnosine (and 310 mg or acetyl-l-carnitine arginite) daily since many years. No particular effect to notice. I realize many (e.g. LEF) recommends the 2x500 mg carnosine dose but I settled down to a lower supplement intake which other (e.g. Balch) consider also effective. Carnosine was discussed many times on this Board, e.g. here.

#7 mpe

• Guest, F@H
  • 275 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:22 PM

Wouldn't both beta alanine and l-carnosine  taken together with acetyl-l-carnitine provide the best result ?

I'm not currently taking any of the three but have considered it in the past and after reading this thread I'm considering it again.

Mike

#8 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 03:17 PM

One of the supps I ran out of and forgot about after taking it for about six months.

I seem to remember that my skin looked better while on it.  However, I seemed to have a paradoxical worsening of eyesight (specifically near accommodation, i.e., problems seeing well enough to read without wearing reading glasses on top of the contacts I wear for myopia), which seemed to have reversed itself since I went off.  I know the effect should theoretically be the opposite, so that was surprising to me, unless the carnosine was perhaps reversing my myopia. 

Edited by nowayout, 30 May 2015 - 03:20 PM.

#9 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:40 AM

Reading through several topics here, I was left with the impression that Beta-Alanine supplementation is the way to go if you aim for increased serum Carnosine levels as carnosinase mops up the supplemental Carnosine very fast for it to remain long enough to exert its beneficial properties.

Have some new studies emerged that reject the above notion or I totally misread the findings?

#10 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:57 AM

Reading through several topics here, I was left with the impression that Beta-Alanine supplementation is the way to go if you aim for increased serum Carnosine levels as carnosinase mops up the supplemental Carnosine very fast for it to remain long enough to exert its beneficial properties.

Have some new studies emerged that reject the above notion or I totally misread the findings?

I'm taking 1.6 grams Beta-Alanine a day.

http://www.ironmanma...ing-procedures/

Edited by mustardseed41, 01 June 2015 - 04:00 AM.

#11 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:48 PM

Been taking two grams of BA for years. Some people may need to supplement Taurine with it as well though.

#12 markmsb

• Topic Starter
  • 52 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:02 PM

These are some wonderful responses about carnosine. Interesting video on Beta Alanine. I havent experienced any tingles from taking 2 grams of carnosine per day. I wonder if the body reacts differently to each one. As for eye sight. I have heard that Carnosine is supposed to improve eye sight, not worsen it. Culd it be possible it could be reacting with another supplement? As anyone seen any youthening effects specifically with Carnosine?

#13 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:39 PM

The tingling effect, aka paresthesia, is unique to BA only. Carnosine does not trigger it AFAIK.

#14 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:52 AM

These are some wonderful responses about carnosine. Interesting video on Beta Alanine. I havent experienced any tingles from taking 2 grams of carnosine per day. I wonder if the body reacts differently to each one. As for eye sight. I have heard that Carnosine is supposed to improve eye sight, not worsen it. Culd it be possible it could be reacting with another supplement? As anyone seen any youthening effects specifically with Carnosine?

I use it topically in a DIY serum. I just trust its adding some good antioxidant protection under my sunscreen.

#15 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:47 PM

I take 1- 1 1/2 grams of carnosine daily to mitigate glycation and advanced glycated end products. I have been able to reduce my HbA1C using this and other anti glycation supplements.
http://www.sciencedi...01429990500172X
This is also why carnosine is in Can C eye drops, which has been shown to reverse cataracts,
It can also positively effect lipids, and have some positive affect on the aging process
http://synapse.korea...1NRP&vmode=FULL
http://onlinelibrary...enticated=false
  • WellResearched x 1

#16 PerfectSeek

• 70 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 01:23 PM

I take 1g per day and have for some time.  When I first start, I notice a stimulatory effect, slightly increased energy, and increased sociability.  These effects last a few days, after which I don't notice them any more.  

#17 capricorn

• 11 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:16 PM

Hello,

I always get a tingling sensation when taking my daily l-carnosine dose (2 g in the morning on empty stomach). It starts about half an hour after taking it and lasts for another 30 minutes. The tingling is mainly noticeable in my face, ears, arms, sometimes whole upper body (intensity varies) and sometimes I also get a light pressure/ache in the back of my head. But all in all I can say that I like the feeling, it reminds me on the flushes (but without the heat and reddening) when I started taking nicotinic acid (in the meanwhile 1 g of nicotinic acid is causing me only a minor flush).

So, I wonder if there are other people who have similar experiences with l-carnosine. Could not find a lot in the net, tenor is that the tingling should be related to Beta-Alanine supplements only ...?

Woud like to hear your opinions/experiences,

thanks!

#18 airplanepeanuts

• 352 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 10:48 PM

Hello,

I always get a tingling sensation when taking my daily l-carnosine dose (2 g in the morning on empty stomach). It starts about half an hour after taking it and lasts for another 30 minutes. The tingling is mainly noticeable in my face, ears, arms, sometimes whole upper body (intensity varies) and sometimes I also get a light pressure/ache in the back of my head. But all in all I can say that I like the feeling, it reminds me on the flushes (but without the heat and reddening) when I started taking nicotinic acid (in the meanwhile 1 g of nicotinic acid is causing me only a minor flush).

So, I wonder if there are other people who have similar experiences with l-carnosine. Could not find a lot in the net, tenor is that the tingling should be related to Beta-Alanine supplements only ...?

Woud like to hear your opinions/experiences,

thanks!

I also noticed some light tingling with carnosine. It's just like beta alanine but it takes some time to start, so I presumed it happens after (some of) the carnosine is cleaved into BA and Histidine.

#19 capricorn

• 11 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:44 PM

I also noticed some light tingling with carnosine. It's just like beta alanine but it takes some time to start, so I presumed it happens after (some of) the carnosine is cleaved into BA and Histidine.

OK, thanks, so I'm not the only one who experiences tingling with l-carnosine. Never tried Beta-Alanine. Which brand of l-carnosine do you use?

#20 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:09 PM

I think high doses of Carnosine (> 2 grams) makes my skin itchy, which I suspected was from the extra histamine. But, might have been psychosomatic because I was concerned about the histamine. I reduced the dose to 1500mg/day and have been at this dose for years with no problems that I can tell.

Acetyl-L-Carnosine (>1000mg) apparently made my left index fingertip numb for a couple days. It was nothing I had experienced before. It came on very soon, the same day or the next day after the high dose of Acetyl-L-Carnosine. Researching the symptom, it sounded like Raynaud's phenomenon. Kind of concerning being such an uncommon supplement that not many people have experience with. I reduced the dose down to 350mg/day and have been at this dose for years with no problems that I can tell. 

#21 airplanepeanuts

• 352 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:09 AM

Acetyl-L-Carnosine (>1000mg) apparently made my left index fingertip numb for a couple days. It was nothing I had experienced before. It came on very soon, the same day or the next day after the high dose of Acetyl-L-Carnosine. Researching the symptom, it sounded like Raynaud's phenomenon. Kind of concerning being such an uncommon supplement that not many people have experience with. I reduced the dose down to 350mg/day and have been at this dose for years with no problems that I can tell.

What benefits do you get from Acetyl-L-Carnosine?

#22 markmsb

• Topic Starter
  • 52 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:47 PM

It's very weird I never get any of these feelings from carnosine. I take l carnosine and not the aceytalated variety. I've been holding strong at 2 grams a day and I bought two separate brands to see of there is difference in the short term feeling like if I get tingling or energy or sleep changes. So far I haven't felt any changes more than a restful sleep from both brands. Some people are reporting disturbed sleep but the opposite rings true.

As for the tingling effect people have noted with carnosine, I was led to believe that only beta-alanine was supposed to produce those effects not either form of carnosine.

Before I forget I take the Jarrow and Now Brand Carnosine in 2 gram doses which is a fairly high dose .

#23 markmsb

• Topic Starter
  • 52 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:50 PM

Also has anyone seen anti aging benefits from medium to long term use (more than 3 months) of moderate to high doses of carnosine( more than 1,500mg)?

#24 capricorn

• 11 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:39 PM

It's very weird I never get any of these feelings from carnosine. I take l carnosine and not the aceytalated variety. I've been holding strong at 2 grams a day and I bought two separate brands to see of there is difference in the short term feeling like if I get tingling or energy or sleep changes. So far I haven't felt any changes more than a restful sleep from both brands. Some people are reporting disturbed sleep but the opposite rings true.

As for the tingling effect people have noted with carnosine, I was led to believe that only beta-alanine was supposed to produce those effects not either form of carnosine.

Before I forget I take the Jarrow and Now Brand Carnosine in 2 gram doses which is a fairly high dose .

I receive my l-carnosine from a supplement online store (it's not from one of the big producers, it's a private brand, probably not available outside EU). Never tried another brand of l-carnosine but maybe will do so in near future, just to see if it's also causing the tingling (though, I have no doubt whatsoever that my current brand is high quality).

Also has anyone seen anti aging benefits from medium to long term use (more than 3 months) of moderate to high doses of carnosine( more than 1,500mg)?

From my personal experience I can't report you (anti-aging) benefits exclusively attributed to l-carnosine. I have been taking a lot (and I mean really a lot) different supplements for the last years (trial and error). I have been suffering from fatigue, lack of energy, bad mood etc. In the last six months or so my situation has improved noticeably and I was able to limit my stack to about 15 supplements which I'm taking continually now. And l-carnosine is a (my gut feeling would say significant) part of it (2 g in the morning on empty stomach).

Edited by capricorn, 09 June 2015 - 06:43 PM.

#25 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:45 PM

Acetyl-L-Carnosine (>1000mg) apparently made my left index fingertip numb for a couple days. It was nothing I had experienced before. It came on very soon, the same day or the next day after the high dose of Acetyl-L-Carnosine. Researching the symptom, it sounded like Raynaud's phenomenon. Kind of concerning being such an uncommon supplement that not many people have experience with. I reduced the dose down to 350mg/day and have been at this dose for years with no problems that I can tell.

Not to speak for ta5, but I've been taking a gram of acetyl L-carnosine (ALCAR) for years. 

ALCAR is a carnitine, not a carnosine. 

Edited by nowayout, 09 June 2015 - 10:47 PM.

#26 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:59 PM

The morelife site has a page on itPurebulk sells it.

#27 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:03 AM

Not to speak for ta5, but I've been taking a gram of acetyl L-carnosine (ALCAR) for years. 

ALCAR is a carnitine, not a carnosine.

Oh, sorry, that was idiotic of me.  I read that as carnitine for some reason.  Since it's so OT, I'll nuke it.  Thanks for catching it.

• like x 2
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#28 markmsb

• Topic Starter
  • 52 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:03 PM

Update on my carnosine experience. Been getting great results on a high dose after 5 weeks. I'm 27 and things are going great on this regimen. Keep in mind I do take other supplements .

#29 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:19 AM

Update on my carnosine experience. Been getting great results on a high dose after 5 weeks. I'm 27 and things are going great on this regimen. Keep in mind I do take other supplements .

Care to expand?  What results? 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 markmsb

• Topic Starter
  • 52 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:49 AM

SO much more energy, need for less sleep and less lines when I smile.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anti aging, carnosine, youth, rejuvination

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users