- - - - -

Time to stop SSRIs?

ssri amphetamine adderall dopamine anhedonia derealization

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Axmann8

• 63 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:27 PM

I had an extremely bad experience with amphetamine withdrawal about a year ago. I did not abuse them, but did take the max dose of Adderall for a period of time which impaired my sleep, caused blood pressure problems, caused pseudo-psychotic problems, etc. When I stopped the Adderall that Summer, I had severe brain fog, derealization, lethargy, anhedonia, no motivation/drive, decreased libido, and panic attacks.

The following semester of school, I went back on Adderall because I felt I had no other choice, and it did get better for a while. When I stopped the following break, it wasn't as bad as before but it was still noticeable. I decided to go on an SSRI, and the panic attacks stopped and I began to feel somewhat better.

Fastforward to now, and I'm only starting to see very little improvements, but not much. I've tried *many* pharmacological and nonpharmacological strategies since then. To name a few: multivitamins, Omega-3, DHEA, R-lipoic acid, ginkgo, probiotics, zinc, chromium, uridine, coconut oil, DMAE, ashwagandha, rhodiola rosea, CDP-choline, coluracetam, memantine, noopept, aniracetam, D-Ribose, SAM-e, Lexapro, Zoloft, Strattera, Focalin and Vyvanse. All to no effect.

In addition, now I have had almost complete anosmia (loss of smell and taste) and visual tracers.

One of these things has been around the entire time I tried the others: my SSRI.

I'm trying to figure out whether my SSRI is preventing these other supplement strategies from working, and whether it's time to stop the SSRIs?

Any advice on what I should do at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Axmann8, 06 June 2015 - 11:27 PM.

#2 Axmann8

• Topic Starter
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 12:43 AM

I want to add that the one thing that seemed to help at all with my depression was tianeptine sodium, but it gave me intolerable constipation both times I cycled on it. Would it make sense to go back on it and just take some sort of stool softener with it?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Axmann8

• Topic Starter
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:52 AM

Bump

#4 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:58 PM

SSri´s can cause anhedonia to some same counts for anxiety, though it afaik decreases fear. Low libido is common due to SSRI.

I cant answer Your quesiton per se, I think that rhodiola rosea shouldnt decrease its effect that much when taking with a SSRI.

Serotonine and/or the specific SSRI interferes with Glutamate, Potassium channels & etc.

You have to be a crack to answer this propperly.

I would try: askdocs on reddit, if You dont get any great responds.

Btw: If You decide to quit the antidpressant, then do it slowly because I heard that this might prevent PSSD, though I´m not sure.

Edited by Flex, 10 June 2015 - 02:03 PM.

#5 Aurel

• 184 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:29 PM

Search this forum for the happy stack. It helped some people stopping their ssris. Good luck

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 June 2015 - 07:08 AM

I would try one of the new atypical SSRIs: Vilazodone or Vortioxetine (Viibryd/Brintellix). The agonize the 5HT1a receptor and this reduces a lot of the sides of SSRIs, and also releases oxytocin.

If you have damage to the dopamine system, and the stims don't work anymore, L-Dopa + EGCG might help. This will directly increase dopamine without stimulation. You need to take the EGCG with it to prevent it from being converted to dopamine before it reaches the brain. They both can be bought over the counter.

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ssri, amphetamine, adderall, dopamine, anhedonia, derealization

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users