Nootropics for focus and motivation?

nootropics

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 zompy

• 56 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:14 PM

Where do you order your noots?

New Star, Ceretropic, and Powder City—exclusively. The LEF Mix I get directly from the Foundation, and the NSI-189 I get any way I can. New Star and PC have free shipping; hopefully Ceretropic will pick up the ball some day and go that route too. If you order from New Star, don’t forget to use the ‘REDDIT’ coupon. I’m still scratching my head trying to figure out if TLR is a legitimate outfit or just a couple of Chinese whackadoodles, so for now I’m not ordering from them anymore. PC ships everything in baggies, but if you have spare empty tubs and a label maker handy, they can save you a lot of money. They ship a little slower than NS and Ceretropic though.

What I am really wondering is how often do you use this stack? You said you use it every morning but some of these items including PRL-8-53 for example require an off and on time right? Do you use all of these yearround or do you go on/off?

#32 Aurel

• 184 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:46 PM

Some people react better when cycling some of the mentioned substances. But Heisi seems to respond good on the stack. But what I wonder is that due to the halflife of some of the noots, they work better when used 2 to 4 times a day (some of them! not the entire stack!). So Heisi could benefit a little bit more. But I guess it is more convenient this way.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 09:26 AM

I have been studying Memantine and it really warrants a revisit. Basically people were touting it as a stimulant tolerance killer and then probably proceeded to just keep taking more stimulants and burying memantine's effects underneath it.

Looking at the information I've seen (too tired to into detail right now, been awake all night), this is just on top of my head and I am NOT on any nootropics atm, so apologies if this misses the mark.

-Memantine is likely to reduce the rebound effect of other drugs via its effects on calcium channels, this mean it will smooth out other drugs, and reduce the likelyhood of dose escalation.

-Memantine is a potent nootropic in its own right, with notable effects on memory, and attention

-It has potent anti social anxiety potential

-It is partial antagonist that doesn't bypass the bodies own method of memory formation, yet it provides all the benefits of an anti-cholinergic.

- Is a D2 agonist, with no side effects of dopamine agonist drugs

- Has an exceedingly safe and tolerable side effects profile

- Is well studied

What seems to me is that Memantine was overlooked because people were trying to recreationally do drugs with Memantine and no drug can ever be used to chase a high.

Secondly the finicky dosage, timing and initial side effects of Memantine meant alot of people gave up on it when they experienced the famous Memantine "senior moment" problem, however people who started with 5mg and moved up to 20mg with titration increases every 2 weeks all seemed to receive notable benefits.

You know if you read the past reports on various forums people were taking 20-40mg at the start! Bearing in mind Memantine has the half life of 100 hours. They then proceeded to use amphetamines and various research chemical drugs on top of it immediately, now nothing good can come out of "forcing" extreme beyond natural design dopamine release constantly, it has nothing to do with tolerances its fundamentally a flawed strategy. 

In general there has been reports of 

- Reduced withdrawal to strong drugs like Adderall

- Reduced tolerance to existing drugs, restoring first time effects

- Prevention of tolerance

- Eidetic Memory, general memory recall improvements

- Removal of social awkwardness

- Better energy, more motivation

Despite Memantines 100 hours half life, it oddly seems to have an instant release effect of 8 hours exactly, according to a couple of reports.

Edited by Major Legend, 26 June 2015 - 09:34 AM.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#34 Aurel

• 184 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:23 PM

Sorry for the slightly offtopic. I just received Coluracetam and PRL-8-53 which I ordered based on this very thread. Its 0.25g each. But the delievered spoons are so tiny. I mean - unbelievable tiny, you couldnt feed a hamster baby with it. Is this the amount to take? I am sure my weightscale cant messure this. Thank you.

#35 Busyboy

• Topic Starter
  • 58 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:33 PM

Sorry for the slightly offtopic. I just received Coluracetam and PRL-8-53 which I ordered based on this very thread. Its 0.25g each. But the delievered spoons are so tiny. I mean - unbelievable tiny, you couldnt feed a hamster baby with it. Is this the amount to take? I am sure my weightscale cant messure this. Thank you.

Let me know what effects you get from Coluracetam. Thanks
  • like x 1

#36 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:02 PM

What effect does NSI have? And would you recommend I take both NSI and Coluracetam together in the morning for my issues? Thanks

I’m not really the person to ask, because procrastination is my last remaining psychological issue. I have trouble lighting the fire under my ass sometimes too. I was going to spend my day off yesterday studying for vSphere certification. Never happened. Did some laundry, shaved my head, and ate ice cream instead. I was sort of going to ask you the same question. I was wondering if you had looked into the neurobiological basis of motivation and could offer any insights as to how I might tweak my stack. The weird thing is that once I start doing a task, I can’t stop. I’ll put off cleaning up the yard until the weeds are growing through the windows, but once I get out there and start hacking, I won’t stop until the Sun goes down, and sometimes not even then. If I had cracked the books yesterday, I would have chewed through six chapters and absorbed all of it without batting an eyelash.

As for specific compounds, that’s hard to say. As I told one of my co-workers the other day, “this is uncharted territory.”  “If you want to experiment with this stuff, you just have to grow a pair because there are no clear guidelines.” What NSI-189 does for me is completely abolish all of my sense of self-doubt, which has been an issue for me ever since I was in grade school. Making an educated guess, motivation is probably strongly tied to expectation of reward, and is most likely involves dopaminergic pathways. Other than that, I gots nuthin’.

Motivation is a fundamental challenge to everyone, because there is a multi-tiered psychological element there. I have been thinking lately...

Let me try to explain my theory:

Trying to motivate yourself to do something that has no immediate pleasurable reward or immediate, or fear of eventual consequences - e.g. an unhappy boss, is incoherent

in terms of cognition. 

The brain general has difficulty with things that have nothing to do with the problems it has evolved to solve. Simply put the brain has incredible difficulty with concepts like time dilation, time compounding, certain types of quantum mathematics and so on, its basically half blind to it. And attempts to force these ideas onto the brain drains a lot of computational energy, it generates fatigue , this is why I suspect people burn out on things they use willpower to do.

So when you motivate yourself by thinking of a future result or achievement, your brain actually just simply fail to understand this concept of you doing something now that will have benefits for you in the future, it simply doesn't make sense as your brain is programmed to prioritise immediate rewards and immediate threats. The brain only lives in present time, it really struggles for example to picture how money will compound in 20 years.

What essentially happens I think is you think "you understand it", but thats only the higher functioning brain understanding the concept of future consequences and reward, your brain a multilayered cognitive machine as a whole functions primarily in the present. So it make sense for your brain to basically go for pleasurable things because it only lives in the present really.

Consequently thats why people fail to work when there are no consequences presented, and people often turn themselves around when they are hours from a deadline or rock bottom in finances. Most people have to derive motivation from their circumstances. Otherwise you would have ALOT of people going back to university to study something else, people don't because self motivation is really really hard. 

Most people live in perpetual manic energy in their freetime, which is this twitter like sort of energy where you do something that requires small effort, but has a huge pleasure hit, e.g. reading facebook. If you want to feel truly free you have to understand how to not fall into the manic energy daze.

So basically being lazy (or tendency to exhibit manic energy) is default for humans, and being able to work for no reason is actually really unnatural because it makes no sense. This is my personal experience anyways, I can probably work on stuff for no reason more than most people, when I go around most people are either busy talking, eating, playing their phones.

So the solution to this is just to become more self aware and realise why what you are doing now is bad for you and realise what else you could be doing, and how that will benefit you now, this mental communication makes alot more sense to the brain. Another trick is to basically just shrink the big task into the smallest task possible so it takes the least amount of pain for the brain. The irony as you said is once you focus on something the brain tends to just want to keep doing that, as it takes cognitive resources to switch between tasks.

Manic energy is like a spiral, you post one facebook comment, and your brain feeds off the reply before you know it you have a candy bar in your hand, and then you want to talk to your mates about going out. To avoid manic energy you have to understand that its just sort of like the need to eat chips when you see them. Its fleeting, if you just wait it out you will be over it. So what I do when I feel the itch to something with manic energy (basically low effort and high instant dopamine fix), I just shut myself off, and count to 60 and do nothing and just wait for the urge to go away. Not sure if it works for others but it really helps me not fall into the spiral trap.

On a chemical note this is why amphetamines work, because they force unnatural release of dopamine in your frontal brain, this increase in executive function allows the brain to have more direct control over itself, our ability to override is our willpower. However this is unsustainable because homeostasis and high levels of dopamine will eventually baseline the effects. If this was not the case then coffee drinkers will have a 10%+ advantage compared to normal people, but obviously this is not the case. Increasing intelligence (neuronal connectivity and so on), is not the same as motivation in my opinion. There are lots of geniuses which can't get out of bed to do things.

Training increased blood flow to the frontal lobe via HEG training is one potential way to get more willpower.

Edited by Major Legend, 30 June 2015 - 10:17 PM.

• like x 4
  • Informative x 3
  • Well Written x 2

#37 Busyboy

• Topic Starter
  • 58 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:14 PM

What effect does NSI have? And would you recommend I take both NSI and Coluracetam together in the morning for my issues? Thanks

I’m not really the person to ask, because procrastination is my last remaining psychological issue. I have trouble lighting the fire under my ass sometimes too. I was going to spend my day off yesterday studying for vSphere certification. Never happened. Did some laundry, shaved my head, and ate ice cream instead. I was sort of going to ask you the same question. I was wondering if you had looked into the neurobiological basis of motivation and could offer any insights as to how I might tweak my stack. The weird thing is that once I start doing a task, I can’t stop. I’ll put off cleaning up the yard until the weeds are growing through the windows, but once I get out there and start hacking, I won’t stop until the Sun goes down, and sometimes not even then. If I had cracked the books yesterday, I would have chewed through six chapters and absorbed all of it without batting an eyelash.

As for specific compounds, that’s hard to say. As I told one of my co-workers the other day, “this is uncharted territory.” “If you want to experiment with this stuff, you just have to grow a pair because there are no clear guidelines.” What NSI-189 does for me is completely abolish all of my sense of self-doubt, which has been an issue for me ever since I was in grade school. Making an educated guess, motivation is probably strongly tied to expectation of reward, and is most likely involves dopaminergic pathways. Other than that, I gots nuthin’.

Motivation is a fundamental challenge to everyone, because there is a multi-tiered psychological element there. I have been thinking lately...

Let me try to explain my theory:

Trying to motivate yourself to do something that has no immediate pleasurable reward or immediate, or fear of eventual consequences - e.g. an unhappy boss, is incoherent
in terms of cognition.

The brain general has difficulty with things that have nothing to do with the problems it has evolved to solve. Simply put the brain has incredible difficulty with concepts like time dilation, time compounding, certain types of quantum mathematics and so on, its basically half blind to it. And attempts to force these ideas onto the brain drains a lot of computational energy, it generates fatigue , this is why I suspect people burn out on things they use willpower to do.

So when you motivate yourself by thinking of a future result or achievement, your brain actually just simply fail to understand this concept of you doing something now that will have benefits for you in the future, it simply doesn't make sense as your brain is programmed to prioritise immediate rewards and immediate threats. The brain only lives in present time, it really struggles for example to picture how money will compound in 20 years.

What essentially happens I think is you think "you understand it", but thats only the higher functioning brain understanding the concept of future consequences and reward, your brain a multilayered cognitive machine as a whole functions primarily in the present. So it make sense for your brain to basically go for pleasurable things because it only lives in the present really.

Consequently thats why people fail to work when there are no consequences presented, and people often turn themselves around when they are hours from a deadline or rock bottom in finances. Most people have to derive motivation from their circumstances. Otherwise you would have ALOT of people going back to university to study something else, people don't because self motivation is really really hard.

Most people live in perpetual manic energy in their freetime, which is this twitter like sort of energy where you do something that requires small effort, but has a huge pleasure hit, e.g. reading facebook. If you want to feel truly free you have to understand how to not fall into the manic energy daze.

So basically being lazy (or tendency to exhibit manic energy) is default for humans, and being able to work for no reason is actually really unnatural because it makes no sense. This is my personal experience anyways, I can probably work on stuff for no reason more than most people, when I go around most people are either busy talking, eating, playing their phones.

So the solution to this is just to become more self aware and realise why what you are doing now is bad for you and realise what else you could be doing, and how that will benefit you now, this mental communication makes alot more sense to the brain. Another trick is to basically just shrink the big task into the smallest task possible so it takes the least amount of pain for the brain. The irony as you said is once you focus on something the brain tends to just want to keep doing that, as it takes cognitive resources to switch between tasks.

Manic energy is like a spiral, you post one facebook comment, and your brain feeds off the reply before you know it you have a candy bar in your hand, and then you want to talk to your mates about going out. To avoid manic energy you have to understand that its just sort of like the need to eat chips when you see them. Its fleeting, if you just wait it out you will be over it. So what I do when I feel the itch to something with manic energy (basically low effort and high instant dopamine fix), I just shut myself off, and count to 60 and do nothing and just wait for the urge to go away. Not sure if it works for others but it really helps me not fall into the spiral trap.

On a chemical note this is why amphetamines work, because they force unnatural release of dopamine in your frontal brain, this increase in executive function allows the brain to have more direct control over itself, our ability to override is our willpower. However this is unsustainable because homeostasis and high levels of dopamine will eventually baseline the effects. If this was not the case then coffee drinkers will have a 10%+ advantage compared to normal people, but obviously this is not the case. Increasing intelligence (neuronal connectivity and so on), is not the same as motivation in my opinion. There are lots of geniuses which can't get out of bed to do things.

Training increased blood flow to the frontal lobe via HEG training is one potential way to get more willpower.

Jeez, that was long. Thanks for taking the time to write it up! Great info

#38 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 November 2015 - 01:50 AM

Yours Heisi

:-D

My current daily stack consists of the following:

4800 mgs. piracetam

One drop 1% methylene blue solution

25 mgs. coluracetam

25 mgs. fasoracetam

5 mgs. PRL-8-53

5 mgs. memantine

4 mgs. C60 (one teaspoon 0.08% homemade solution)

2 caps LEF Mix

325 mgs. aspirin

75 mgs. aminoguanidine

20 mgs. PQQ

40 mgs. NSI-189

40 mgs. tianeptine sulfate

I take it all in one shot right after breakfast. I have spent 30 years and thousands of dollars refining it, and at this time I consider this to be the definitive base stack that I will take for the rest of my life. I don’t plan to add anything in the immediate future unless there is substantial progress made in AGE-breaking compounds. I’ve discontinued Alagebrium because I can’t find a reliable source anywhere, but eventually I’ll contact HHD and see if they can make me some. The memantine is the most recent addition. I’m still in the investigating-it stage, but I’m almost certain that it will become a permanent addition. In terms of future additions, right now I am most intently focused on investigating compounds which break glucosepane bonds. Tianeptine sodium and etizolam are also compounds that I regularly use, but they are not included in that list because I use them intermittently and on an as-needed basis. The current cost of this stack (not including shipping charges) is $4.04/day. I’m also not counting the cost of the olive oil used to dissolve the C60, the cost of the PG that I use to dissolve the coluracetam/fasoracetam/PRL-8-53 and dilute the memantine in, or the cost of running the magnetic stirrer.

Thanks for sharing.

Have you thought about taking berberine instead of aminoguanidine? It seems to have glucose-lowering, AGE-inhibiting, anti-cancer, anti-CVD effects. (credit goes to Darryl for that treasure trove)

If yes, why have you decided to favour aminogianidine?

Also, beta-alanine converted in carnosine in vivo seems promising for AGE prevention.

What is the difference in action between tianeptine sulfate and tianeptine sodium?

#39 Heisenburger

• 478 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:07 AM

Darryl’s da man. He’s saved us all countless hours of Googling. Berberine sounds interesting. I think that will be tonight’s research project. I’ve heard of it, but didn’t know anything about it until now. I’d love to find a viable substitute for aminoguanidine, for several reasons.

Tianeptine sulfate is more slowly absorbed through the gastrointestinal tract and provides a more sustained-released method of ingesting the drug.

#40 Baten

• 785 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:02 PM

I don't think berberine is something that should be taken long-term. Glucose-lowering for sure, but it is a pretty "strong" herb, at high dosages it's just too potent, perhaps even dangerous. I've been playing with it for months and I'm not sure it's a keeper. Thorne has a product called Liver Cleanse which only has a moderate amount of berberine, I might buy and try that for detox purposes at some point and see how I like its effects.

Edited by Baten, 05 November 2015 - 07:02 PM.

#41 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:56 AM

Agree berberine may be dangerous. Don't know about too potent...

#42 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 November 2015 - 04:51 AM

Agree berberine may be dangerous. Don't know about too potent...

Dangerous how? And at what dosage?

I have been taking 400mg/d for months without any pronounced negative effects.

#43 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:43 AM

http://diabetesupdat...ry-well-be.html

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#44 Sopot

• 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:40 PM

This is a lot to ask, but could you - Burger - write a sentence to all of the stuff about why you personally take it? I now have a general idea, but some of the effects differ from person to person. I always enjoy reading reviews.

Sure, I’ll bite:

Piracetam—the Granddaddy of all the noots. I’ve been taking it every day for over 20 years. Makes me feel more clearheaded.

Methylene blue—stumbled across it on the Internet about two years ago and decided to try it because it’s literally less than a penny a day and it’s fun turning the water blue.

Coluracetam—slight but clearly noticeable anxiolytic effect and unquestionably increases ability to multitask.

Fasoracetam—sustains focus. I can study about three times as long on it before I get antsy have to get up and stretch my legs.

PRL-8-53—seems to vastly increase recall for words and numbers. Last year I was taking a course in TCP/IP that was the course from Hell. The textbook was so badly written that it read like an 800-page white paper or Wiki page. IPv6 was giving me night terrors—I couldn’t fathom it at all. I was convinced I was going to fail the course and have to take it again. But when I took PRL-8-53, I could remember entire sentences in the textbook word-for-word. And the questions on the test would trigger those memories. So even though I didn’t really understand the material that well, I was able to pass the class because of this ability to remember entire sentences.

Memantine—just started playing with this one. I think it’s a keeper. Makes me a little spacey, though (like looking for something and realizing that you’re holding it in your hand).

C60—read about it here. Does wonders for skin, and doubles the lifespan of mice.

LEF Mix—none of this would be worth anything without a solid basic nutritional supplement, and LEF Mix is the best one there is, bar none. No other broad-spectrum supplement can even hold a candle to it, and the company that manufactures and distributes it is an NPO. I’ve been a member of the LEF off and on for almost 30 years.

Aspirin—family history of MI and CVA.

Aminoguanidine—glycation may be the single biggest factor in the aging process.

PQQ—read about it on the Internet and decided to give it a try. Not sure if it really does anything. If I were forced to pick one thing to toss, this would probably be it.

NSI-189—read about it here. Astonishing stuff.  Essentially wiped all of my psychological issues right off the map.

Tianeptine—seems to potentiate the NSI-189, and I like the buzz.

Thank you for your detailed posts Heisenburger. I've strolled through the necessary pubmeds and have decided to add Colu/Faso/NSI and Tianeptine to my modest Noopept/C60 routine.

Since it's been a while, has anything changed in your regimen?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nootropics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users