• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Wellbutrin side effects plus stacks, info in general?

wellbutrion bupropion depression anxiety dopamine dopaminergic

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DerekkkA

• 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:27 PM

I have acute anxiety/depression for the past three weeks. I believe its a very bad reaction to Flonase (which I began the day before), and somehow that corticosteroid severely affected some hormones and cortisol. Anyway I've had horrible symptoms, and dopamine deficiency is definitely one of them. Its an endless cycle. I'm depressed because I'm anxious, I'm anxious because I'm depressed. Bipolar hasn't been fully ruled out yet. But this was very acute and sudden. I didn't experience any trauma. Insomnia issues, not getting restful sleep even with 8-10 hours of it being uninterrupted, I'm really all over the map.

I was prescribed Wellbutrin XL 150mg (generic) until I get a proper diagnosis. If I never get a diagnosis, and this works, then I'll stick with it. But I also want to be sure if this med is right for me. I told my doctor that I am not playing around with any SSRIs or SNRIs. I can't have my sex drive take more of a toll as it already has.

So I gave Wellbutrin a shot last week with a one day dose, but I had so many other substances in my system that I didn't actually give it a chance. I had liothyronine 12.5mcg, had a lot of caffeine that day, combined with a ton of anxiety already by itself, clonazepam (prescribed), and celexa. So the first day I was extremely agitated after about six hours of dosing it. Very aggressive and irritable, although clear headed. Definitely couldn't properly tell what it was doing then. 

So today I decided to try it again after having nowhere else to go. Extremely dullheaded and depressed among other symptoms. I took a dose a today about three hours after my Synthroid. I have Hashimoto's Disease and hypothyroidism. I no longer take T3. Just Synthroid. About 30 minutes after ingesting it I began to get clearer. I began to enjoy things like surfing the internet and look forward to things in the days ahead. I felt normal, cognitively. Physically a little weak because I haven't eaten much in the few weeks. Now today I still haven't eaten anything. My anxiety is still there. Wellbutrin didn't make it worse at least. But the initial effects of the Wellbutrin seem to be wearing off, or if its because I haven't eaten. I've also experienced heavy breathing, kind of a restless feeling although my heart rate didn't increase, a little shakiness. Trying to figure out what exactly are side effects I'm experiencing. And what side effects go away after my body gets used to the drug? Do I need to be on the drug for at least a certain amount of time for its full benefits? 

In the case I can't sleep tonight, is it okay to take clonazepam with this? Will insomnia go away eventually? Any other things to stack with this that may be beneficial during the day? I have theanine, caffeine, etc. etc. I guess I'll have to do trial and error if I will require coffee in the mornings still. 

Edited by DerekkkA, 17 June 2015 - 09:29 PM.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:03 AM

How long have you been taking Celexa?  Do you know that it's an SSRI?   If Wellbutrin is causing insomnia, you might be taking too much, although if I remember correctly, 150 is the lowest dose.  Maybe it's the caffeine.  It's ok to take clonazepam with it, assuming you are already familiar with clonazepam.  I hope you're feeling better soon.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#3 DerekkkA

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:58 AM

How long have you been taking Celexa?  Do you know that it's an SSRI?   If Wellbutrin is causing insomnia, you might be taking too much, although if I remember correctly, 150 is the lowest dose.  Maybe it's the caffeine.  It's ok to take clonazepam with it, assuming you are already familiar with clonazepam.  I hope you're feeling better soon.

I took the Celexa last fall for a month and was completely sexually dysfunctional. Tried for three days again recently from persistence of my doctor and sexual dysfunction began immediately. Whether it was placebo effect or not at the beginning this time, I still stray away from it. I did know it was an SSRI, but my doctor was so adamant to try again. Not giving in to pressure again like that. I have my own ways that I want my body to function. Anyway I'm beginning some psychiatric care tomorrow for three hours a day for at least a week. I think they don't want me to touch the Wellbutrin for at least tomorrow, but I'm going to need .5 or 1mg of clonazepam before I get to this appointment definitely. My endocrinologist called me and is further looking into the Flonase issue and is coming up with some good stuff.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#4 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:45 PM

I take wellbutrin.  150 mg SR  every 12 hours.  The wellbutrin side effects you were experiencing are all on the norepinephrine side.  Wellbutrin is a mild stimulant.  I experienced the same, the irritability and restlessness, chest constriction, high motivation and clearheaded, when the pharmacy switched generics on me (from the Mylan which was fine, to back and forth between the Watson and Teva which were busted by the FDA).  I didn't even put that together until I read that the FDA busted a few of the companies making generic wellbutrin because their pills were releasing the drug too quickly.  Last year they started investigating all the generics and last time I checked only 3 measured up to the brand so far.

I had to get the doctor to specify Mylan generic on the wellbutrin script, and then I had to change pharmacies because both Costco and Wallgreens refused to order Mylan.  But that ended up being a good thing because I love this new pharmacy.  But going back on the Mylan generic ended the rages.  I still get a bit restless sometimes but that is a known side effect of wellbutrin.  I mitigate it by taking theanine, taurine, GABA, kefir, being aware of caffeine sources, and have lorazepam or phenibut as backup.  I sleep pretty awesome but that's mostly due to ambien.  The wellbutrin seemed to have improved my quality of sleep though.  

Wellbutrin can interfere with falling asleep in the beginning and this can be due to either too high a dose, or too late a dose.  If you go to bed at 10 pm, don't take wellbutrin after 5 pm.

The side effects you and I experience tend to wear off after a few hours.  And yeah you should be on it daily for at least a month before you begin to reap its full benefits.  Don't take in any caffeine or other stims for at least 3 hours after taking wellbutrin, if at all.

I had a horrific experience once with celexa (3 months).  My first and last experience with an SSRI.

Flonase can hype you up a bit.  So can claritin.  Also depress your appetite.  Wellbutrin can depress it also.

It's okay to take any benzo with wellbutrin.  I personally would not take any benzo other than lorazepam due to its unique effects on cognition in the benzo department (it does not fuck you up like all the others do, it's awesome for being in class and doing homework).  Also because it of its relatively short half-life.

Edited by Duchykins, 07 July 2015 - 08:47 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wellbutrion, bupropion, depression, anxiety, dopamine, dopaminergic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users