• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Colouring Book For Brain Training/Relaxing?

relaxing brain training colouring colouring book therapeutic therapy

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Serendipity

• 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:36 AM

Anyone every tried colouring in colouring books to train you brain to relax?

http://www.dailymail...dy-Crayons.html

‘When we’re alert and attentive, with the brain engaged in decision-making and problem-solving, it operates using beta brainwaves — precisely what’s needed when you need to think on your feet.’

But beta brainwaves require a great deal of mental energy and the brain can’t continue to effectively function in that mode. Just as a car engine overheats if you continually rev it, keeping the brain in high gear puts it under a level of pressure it cannot sustain healthily.

To relax, says Dr Holmes, you must shift down a gear so the brain starts using alpha brainwaves — a transition some people find difficult.

‘Unsurprisingly these people are the same ones who tend to go on to develop problems such as anxiety, depression and insomnia,’ he says.

If you were to get someone who predominantly operates in beta mode to start colouring in, and at the same time attach them to an electro-encephalogram (EEG) — a machine that records brain activity — Dr Holmes says you would soon start to observe these all-important alpha brainwaves take over.

‘That’s because colouring in is an ambient activity that gives the brain something simple to focus on, so it doesn’t become bored and frustrated, but without any complex thinking or planning to do,’ he says.

‘Also, those alpha waves are often associated with child brain activity; that nostalgic, childlike element to colouring in actually helps add to its effectiveness.’

• Agree x 1

#2 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:15 PM

Colouring would be boring for me. In my case, listening to music does the trick: it seems to occupy different sorts of brain attention and is therefore relaxing.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:16 AM

I love music. Especially since I'm a premium Spotify member where I have access to pretty much nearly all major artist's music.

I play it when I'm on the computer, I sing with it using the lyrics app, and I generally love it.

But I don't find music relaxing. It's more of a distraction and annoyance if I'm working or reading something where I need to concentrate. And when I'm not working, it's not something I can just put on, close my eyes, and relax to.

It's great to have in the background when doing mundane or repetitive tasks or lifting weights. And it's great to get into and sing along to.

But it's definitely not something I can just put on and do nothing. I feel irritated that I'm not doing anything.

I think that's where maybe I can see the colouring would be better help. Because you're doing something to occupy the busy mind, but simple enough that it's relaxing and not stressful.

BTW I love music, I use to listen to it a lot, a lot less now a days. But it has never been something I could put on and relax to while doing nothing else at the same time.

If I'm listening to music, I better be singing to it, dancing to it, doing mundane work, driving, or lifting weights. Singing to it and dancing to it are the only real active involvement the music has with me, the rest is just a background thing. I've tried concentrating on the music without singing, but my mind soon wonders off and forgets about it, and I'm into my thoughts.

Obviously everyones different, I'd like to hear more people's thoughts, and what they find effective for really unwinding.

Edited by manny, 24 June 2015 - 05:21 AM.

#4 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:17 PM

Agreed. Colouring is mad boring. If you want to brain train, really brain train with dual n-back or HRV

Colouring would be boring for me. In my case, listening to music does the trick: it seems to occupy different sorts of brain attention and is therefore relaxing.

#5 Mr Serendipity

• Topic Starter
  • 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 June 2015 - 02:18 AM

They train different things. Dual N Back will train your attention, not relaxation.

#6 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:48 AM

Sure ? ^^

coloring book for grown ups

http://imgur.com/gallery/bg3YG

http://www.amazon.co...t Activity Book

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Snozzberry Scientist

• 9 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:42 PM

I color every week or two and find it quite therapeutic and have seen benefits in my problem solving of all areas... I fully believe it is beneficial in the same way as meditation although not quite to the same extent.... Would rank coloring⍄meditation in interest level, and because I get the added benefit of something that i made to keep at the end :).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: relaxing, brain training, colouring, colouring book, therapeutic, therapy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users