- - - - -

Starting Long Term Uridine Supplementation

uridine

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cat-nips

• 226 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:14 PM

Apologies if this has been covered earlier.  I just purchased 2 bottles of TAU (Cardiovascular Research) and am looking to start long-term, daily uridine therapy in lieu of going on Effexor or another type of antidepressant. I’ve been reading about UMP and TAU and will probably look to try the sublingual form next when my TAU supply runs out. Sublingual administration is new to me so any supplier recommendations would be appreciated. Basically looking for opinions on dosing. I’m thinking 75mg of TAU, twice per day upon waking and after lunch?  And TAU has increased bioavailability so it’s okay to take with/without food?  

Diagnoses: Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety, ADHD - PI, Hypothyroidism, IBS-C

Current Meds/ Stack: 
AM
Modafinil x 100mg
Synthroid x 50mcg
Ashwagandha x 500mg
Multivitamin
Uridine x 75mg?
Fish Oil

Afternoon
Uridine x 75?
Alpha GPC

PM
Holy Basil
Triphala
Magnesium

I’ll be replacing the Ashwagandha in my stack with Uridine and wondering how much and how often to take.  As far as background goes, I’m primary caretaker for a 5 year old and a full-time student.  I’ve had a hellish year getting off daily Vyvanse and Adderall treatment and have moderately severe issues with energy, motivation, focus, depression/anxiety.  Modafinil at least gets me out of bed at least and somewhat motivated to do things, but I’m worried that it’s not sustainable in the long-term.  I’ve also experimented with the Racetams and other Adaptogens with very limited results.   Any suggestions and anecdotal reports would be greatly appreciated. :-D

#2 playground

• 454 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2015 - 09:09 PM

I suggest nicotinamide (non-flushing vitamin B3) to help you feel

less stressed and less depressed.

you might also try meditating.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 cat-nips

• Topic Starter
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:39 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. I will look into nicotinamide.  Anyone have any thoughts specifically on whether 75mg TAU Uridine, taken 2x a day is a good starting dose to see measurable but not overwhelming effects?  Or should it be 100mg, 1x per day?

#4 cat-nips

• Topic Starter
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:08 PM

Update: After about a week of daily TAU dosing at 100mg, I started noticing extreme spells of sadness that would last a few hours. Then I started having suicidal thoughts which is not characteristic of me. I ceased both Uridine and Modafinil immediately and started taking Saint Johns Wort at 900mg for two days along with B-Vitamins and Tryptophan at night.  I know that SJW after a week of prolonged use gives me symptoms of hypomania, so it's not a long-term solution, but it is somewhat effective in the short term. 

Feeling a bit better now, although I still have little motivation to do much except stare at the ceiling.  But at least the despair is gone, replaced by exhaustion and apathy, but not sadness.  I'm not sure why this happened, as everything I read shows Uridine as a treatment for depression and even stabilizing mood in bipolar disorders, but this was not my experience. It could have possibly been the interaction between the Uridine and the Modafinil, but given that I've now lost 4 days of my life, including the holiday where I wasn't "present" and was so miserable that I couldn't leave the house much to the disappointment of my family, I'm hesitant to try it again.  Tomorrow, I'll resume Modafinil again as it's the only thing that significantly helped motivation and focus for task saliency.  Since I have people depending on me, I cannot afford to lay around like a slug all the time and anhedonia is not an option.  I just hope that it wasn't the Modafinil that caused the depressive symptoms.  I have been taken 100mg 1-2x per day for the last month with good results until this last incident. 

This is only my anecdotal. I wish I knew what exactly caused this and why, but I can only think of the Uridine as the reason, as prior to that I was having decent results with just Modafinil, but was looking to augment and eventually replace it as it didn't seem like a long term solution due to possible liver toxicity issues with prolonged use.  I really hoped that Uridine would be a decent non-pharmaceutical solution for depression/anxiety and focus.  5-htp helped a bit in the short term as well, but I noticed that in the long term, while it improved mood, it impaired my desire and motivation to learn, study, write, concentrate and engaging in any form of mental activity became a drag.  Happy and stupid is unacceptable as well. 

#5 TiredAt45

• 35 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:06 AM

Update: After about a week of daily TAU dosing at 100mg, I started noticing extreme spells of sadness that would last a few hours. Then I started having suicidal thoughts which is not characteristic of me. I ceased both Uridine and Modafinil immediately and started taking Saint Johns Wort at 900mg for two days along with B-Vitamins and Tryptophan at night.  I know that SJW after a week of prolonged use gives me symptoms of hypomania, so it's not a long-term solution, but it is somewhat effective in the short term. 

Feeling a bit better now, although I still have little motivation to do much except stare at the ceiling.  But at least the despair is gone, replaced by exhaustion and apathy, but not sadness.  I'm not sure why this happened, as everything I read shows Uridine as a treatment for depression and even stabilizing mood in bipolar disorders, but this was not my experience. It could have possibly been the interaction between the Uridine and the Modafinil, but given that I've now lost 4 days of my life, including the holiday where I wasn't "present" and was so miserable that I couldn't leave the house much to the disappointment of my family, I'm hesitant to try it again.  Tomorrow, I'll resume Modafinil again as it's the only thing that significantly helped motivation and focus for task saliency.  Since I have people depending on me, I cannot afford to lay around like a slug all the time and anhedonia is not an option.  I just hope that it wasn't the Modafinil that caused the depressive symptoms.  I have been taken 100mg 1-2x per day for the last month with good results until this last incident. 

This is only my anecdotal. I wish I knew what exactly caused this and why, but I can only think of the Uridine as the reason, as prior to that I was having decent results with just Modafinil, but was looking to augment and eventually replace it as it didn't seem like a long term solution due to possible liver toxicity issues with prolonged use.  I really hoped that Uridine would be a decent non-pharmaceutical solution for depression/anxiety and focus.  5-htp helped a bit in the short term as well, but I noticed that in the long term, while it improved mood, it impaired my desire and motivation to learn, study, write, concentrate and engaging in any form of mental activity became a drag.  Happy and stupid is unacceptable as well. 

I would consider that the Alpha (a-)GPC might be the problem.  I have experimented with a-GPC and CDC choline, and always the results have been exactly as you describe:  severe bouts of sadness, a sickly "I feel like I'm going to die" feeling, suicidal depression, and psychotic episodes in which I smash or hurl my possessions.  I also experimented with 5HTP, L-tyrosine, and Semax during that time.  All my results with those things have been problematic.  There is considerable documentation here about the adverse mood effects of choline supplementation.  Semax seemed to make amphet. more effective for a few hours, followed by extreme depression & crash later, which I normally don't have a problem with.

I have just recently started taking phosphatidyl choline (PC).  So far, no negative effects.  My plan is to work very slowly toward a DHA+choline+uridine regimen, by introducing each component separately to evaluate whether anything adverse is happening.  Of course, I expected no problem with fish oil, which has been true.  So far, 1x840mg PC/day has produced no adverse effects.  Now I am starting 2 PC doses/day.  So far so good.

People often take "stacks" here of too many supplements and nootropics, making it impossible to determine which variable is the cause of what effect.  This is stupid.  It makes me seriously question the efficacy of these supplements in general!

So for me, I've decided to take only modest doses of just a few critical supplements that are strongly recommended for my particular conditions and very unlikely to cause any weird reactions.  Ie.,

vit D3 1000IU + Mg 100mg + DHA 500mg + 840mg PC with breakfast + lunch

200mg Mg (no D) & 300mg DHA with dinner

Zn 25mg + B50 w/ breakf. + vit E&Se w/ lunch unless I develop a cold sore, in which case Zn 50mg/day for 1-3 days (plus Valtrex)

4-6g of buffered vit C/day, when my stomach is empty

Re: modafinil, I took that for a few months before getting tolerant.  In the beginning, the stim/anxiety ratio was acceptable.  Later, too much anxiety and too little stim to make the reward/risk ratio >1.  So I switched to Ritalin (severe crashes), then dextroamphetamine (no crashes, hard to get enough sleep!).  So my medication progress is the reverse of yours, and it's interesting (and troubling) to hear of your energy and motivational problems after stopping Adderall.  I don't know if there is an exit strategy with these stimulants, unless there is some other root cause which can be fixed.

In my case, chronic mercury poisoning (from dental amalgams) was hinted by corrosion deposits on my oral appliance for sleep apnea, and confirmed by very high lab measurements (95th percentile blood Hg2+, NOT with a chelator/challenge test!), and dropped precipitously after removing the toxic fillings.  However, I anticipate a 2-3 year struggle to recover, assuming no other underlying problems or severe permanent damage.

Quick question:  do you have mercury amalgam fillings?

Good luck.

#6 Samuraidream

• 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:45 AM

Personally, I experienced low mood and negative thoughts when supplementing with Uridine and Choline (not Alpha GPC, though). Took a two week break from all supplements and restarted (minus the Choline) again with much better results this time. I'm no expert here, so what worked for me, might not necessarily work for you.

Had some negative effects this week, though, but that's not because of the Uridine itself, I think (see my creatine & ocd topic, if interested).

#7 DonManley

• 38 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:01 PM

Are there any benefits in buying Uridine in pill form which is relatively expensive, when one can get more Uridine from food? For example, tomatoes contain 0.5 to 1.0 g uridine per kilogram dry weight according to Wikipedia, yet I constantly see people consuming Uridine in pill form. What is the reason?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 cat-nips

• Topic Starter
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for the suggestions that choline might have been the source of the depressive symptoms.  I've been supplementing with TAU again at 50-75mg, once or twice a day WITHOUT a choline source and been having much better results.  I should have spotted the choline as being problematic, but because I have taken it before sporadically without ill effects, I didn't consider the effects of consistent dosing. So I appreciate the feedback as I probably wouldn't have realized the actual cause without it.

That being said, 50mg of TAU in the AM taken with breakfast and coffee or Modafinil seems to work fairly well and take the edge off of anxiety that any stim may give, and I've noticed that 50mg of TAU with food taken in the evening or when in an restless and anxious state does have a noticeable effect on relaxing and getting me out of that headspace at least for a few hours, which is key in the evenings as I seem to have a problems with winding down and getting irritable and anxious at night. Effects on focus are a bit more subtle, but I do notice a slightly greater ability to think and focus on things and even a slight increase in motivation to get things done that I usually would put off. 

Further experimentation is still required and perhaps I'll try UMP sublingual next and stay away from the Alpha GPC.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: uridine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users