• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Toxic interaction between MSM and GARLIC?

toxic garlic msm interaction

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bliindsniper

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:10 PM

I was reading in the entry on examine that there could be a toxic interaction between SAMe and garlic due to SAMe working on similar enzymes causing an overproduction of H2S. There wasn't really a scientific explanation given other than that they work on similar mechanisms, I was wondering if a similar toxic interaction could exist between msm and garlic. If anyone could provide insight into this situation it would be greatly appreciated!!

#2 bliindsniper

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:14 PM

For the sake of clairty here is the quote from examine about SAMe:

"Keep in mind that many benefits of garlic are just 'benefit associated with increasing hydrogen sulfide signalling' in the body. If this is the case, the benefits may be similar with other compounds that increase hydrogen sulfide.

This includes molecules that directly donate H2S like garlic does (Sulforaphane and possibly Moringa oleifera) and ones that induce the enzymes of production (S-Adenosyl Methionine); while SAMe should theoretically be synergistic with the donating molecules, be aware that H2S is also the molecule that mediates toxicity and all these molecules may be 'overdosed' on. Garlic and Moringa are both well known to have toxic effects when overdosed (SAMe is kinda too expensive to do that though)"

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 bliindsniper

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:13 PM

The main question here is if msm effects the enzyme cystathionine β-synthase, which is the enzyme SAMe enhances to produce hydrogen sulfide.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:52 AM

I remember I had a extremely bad reaction to MSM years ago, I was taking aa garlic supplement at the time.
Now I don't take any garlic and never had any problems with MSM
  • Informative x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users