Useful and little known lifestyle practices/ beneficial compounds for health

lifestyle practices beneficial compounds health odd

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 aza

• 128 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:32 PM

I thought it would be interesting to make a discussion about more obscure lifestyle practices and interesting compounds. To sort of make a compendium of things that are good for you, less obscure stuff is fine as well.

The main three health things to get out of the way straight up is exercise, circadian rhythm and meditation. These are well known enough.

To start off, i've become particularly interested in L-ergothioneine and Alkylglycerols. I have to admit, i don't understand some of the quotes i am going to post from these studies. They seem promising to me, in any case.

L-ergothioneine:

http://plantpath.psu...Bob Beelman.pdf

It is highest in Shiitake, Maitake and Oyster mushrooms. But theres probably a bit in most mushrooms.

The unusual amino acid l-ergothioneine is a physiologic cytoprotectant

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2885499/

"Ergothioneine (ET) is an unusual sulfur-containing derivative of the amino acid, histidine, which is derived exclusively through the diet. Although ET was isolated a century ago, its physiologic function has not been clearly established. Recently, a highly specific transporter for ET (ETT) was identified in mammalian tissues, which explains abundant tissue levels of ET and implies a physiologic role. Using RNA interference, we depleted cells of its transporter. Cells lacking ETT are more susceptible to oxidative stress, resulting in increased mitochondrial DNA damage, protein oxidation and lipid peroxidation. ETT is concentrated in mitochondria, suggesting a specific role in protecting mitochondrial components such as DNA from oxidative damage associated with mitochondrial generation of superoxide. In combating cytotoxic effects of pyrogallol, a known superoxide generator, ET is as potent as glutathione. Because of its dietary origin and the toxicity associated with its depletion, ET may represent a new vitamin whose physiologic roles include antioxidant cytoprotection."

Alkylglycerols:

Mainly found in bone marrow and the livers of fish, particularly sharks. (possibly milk as well)

http://www.wellnessr...ging_potential/

Multiple Beneficial Health Effects of Natural Alkylglycerols from Shark Liver Oil

"http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2920550/

Six prominent constituents of natural alkyl-Gro mix, namely 12:0, 14:0, 16:0, 18:0, 16:1 n-7, and 18:1 n-9 alkyl-Gro, were synthesized and tested for anti-tumor and anti-metastatic activities on a model of grafted tumor in mice (3LL cells). 16:1 and 18:1 alkyl-Gro showed strong activity in reducing lung metastasis number, while saturated alkyl- Gro had weaker (16:0) or no (12:0, 14:0, 18:0) effect. Multiple compounds and mechanisms are probably involved in the multiple activities of natural alkyl-Gro."

"Using a model of solid tumor grafted in mice (Lewis lung carcinoma cells = LLC), we have evaluated the anti-tumor effects of oral SLO and of natural alkyl-Gro purified from the same source. We found that both treatments reduced significantly the growth of grafted tumors [21]. Furthermore, both treatments also reduced the number of pulmonary metastases. These data demonstrated that alkyl-Gro are active molecules accounting for anti-tumor activities of SLO. The mechanisms by which alkyl-Gro exert these anti-tumor properties may be multiple. To evaluate anti-neoangiogenic activity, we measured the density of an endothelial marker in solid tumors grafted in mice. After an alkyl-Gro oral treatment as short as five days, we established that the density of von Willebrand factor in grafted tumors was decreased by 26% as compared to control group [21]. Anti-neoangiogenic activities might be one of the possible mechanisms for anti-tumor activities of alkyl-Gro [22]. Since basic Fibroblast Growth Factor (bFGF), is a major angiogenesis stimulator [23], we studied the effect of natural mix of alkyl-Gro on endothelial cell proliferation stimulated by bFGF and showed that alkyl-Gro reduced the bFGF stimulating effect [24]."

An Update on the Therapeutic Role of Alkylglycerols http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2953404/

"Brohult and Holmberg [6], using the unsaponifiable portion of different bone marrow fats as well as preparations containing esters of AKG in child leukemia observed a maturing effect on the white blood cells leading to experiments employing AKG in irradiation leucopenia [7]. In the early 1950s, Brohult performed experiments on children with leukemia. She used extracts isolated from calf marrow and observed that they were able to stimulate the production of white blood cells. These finding led, in 1963, to the publication of a thesis on AKG and their use in radiation treatment [8]. This work showed that, in patients with uterine cancer, a decrease in white cells and thrombocytes, which usually occurs during radiation treatment, is less pronounced if AKG are administered during this treatment. After that it was observed that the incidence of injuries following radiation therapy for carcinoma of the uterine cervix was significantly decreased when the patients were treated with AKG [9] and that the frequency of fistulas was reduced by 47% when AKG were administered prior to radiation treatment [10]."

"It has been shown that AKG can significantly reduce the injuries due to radiation toxicity, enhancing the overall survival rate and survival time in irradiated uterine cervical cancer patients [18]. Moreover, SLO enriched diets administered to rats with ischemic heart disease and hypertension, improve clinical symptoms, anthropometric levels, lipidemic profile and immunological status [19]. Nowicki et al. [20] emphasized the protective action of SLO from bacterial and fungal infections recommending it for patients suffering from atopic dermatitis."

"AKG and alkyl lysophospholipids significantly activate cytotoxic macrophages leading to enhanced Fc-receptor mediated phagocytosis and increase humoral immune response and delayed hypesensivity reaction [22]. AKG have been shown to stimulate hematopoiesis, erythropoiesis, thrombocytosis and granulocytosis in animals [23,24]."

"Tchorzewski et al. [33] proved that supportive treatment with SLO components normalizes complement level, natural killer (NK) cells activity and reactive oxygen intermediates production by peripheral blood leukocytes of people suffering from active form rheumatoid arthritis."

"SLO is the major source of AKG, glycerol ether lipids which have been widely used in the past years in the Scandinavian medicine because of their properties as immunity boosters and a remedy against radiation therapy and cancer. We have found several clinical trials involving the use of AKG and their ability to bring several benefits to the immunitary system. Among the most interesting properties of AKG, the administration of small amounts (10–100 ng) of these compounds in mice has enhanced macrophage activation for Fc-mediated ingestion activity at the 5th day post treatment [27] and it has partially inhibited PAF-induced platelet stimulation possibly interfering with PAF receptors [30]"

"In addition the intake of a mixture of CA, BA, M-BA and methoxy-substituted alkyl lipids has been shown to reduce the 5-year cervical cancer mortality and also the radiation-induced neutropenia; the same study has underlined that ether lipids increase blood concentrations of neutrophils and enhance antibody formation [35].

An increased response of neutrophils towards bacteria, an increased level of C4 component of complement in blood, the rise of total antioxidant status of serum, and the predominance of Type 1 cytokine IFN-gamma, TNF-α and IL-2 production by peripheral blood mononuclear cells after SLO intake have also been observed [36]. A study [37] carried out on 10 adult healthy volunteers treated with AKG per os for one month, has demonstrated an increase of C1q level and CD4/CD8 ratio from 1.3 to 1.8 and polarized Th1/Th2 lymphocyte cytokine secretion towards Th1. On the contrary no effect on CD4+CD25+ regulatory lymphocytes was observed; due to the absence of any side effects this innate immunity supporting agent was stated to be safe and effective."

"In the oncological area it has been observed that AKG, orally administered to mice affected by Lewis lung carcinoma tumors, have reduced metastasis dissemination by 64 ± 8%, whereas SLO effect has been 30 ± 9% below control [41]. Purified AKG have also decreased significantly plasmalogen content in tumors, whereas SLO has had no such effect. A 5-day treatment with AKG has reduced the presence of von Willebrand factor in tumors emphasizing the anti-angiogenic effect of this compound.

Another experimental study in mice with syngeneic L-1 sarcoma has shown that SLO and fish liver oil together with arctic birch ashes are able to significantly reduce cutaneous angiogenesis induced by tumor cells and tumor growth [42]."

"Furthermore, a clinical trial [66] of radiotherapy for uterine cervical cancers has shown a decrease in cancer growth as well as in the number of both radiation and complex injuries due to AKG pre-radiation treatment; prophylactic AKG administration has dramatically reduced vescical fistulas thus confirming the complementary role of these compounds in supporting the patients against radiotherapy toxicity.

Summarizing, the putative milestones of AKG anticancer effects are mainly their property to activate macrophages and to increase the production of cytokines such as IL-12 and IFN-gamma; IL-12 promotes secretion of IFN-gamma from naive and activated T and NK cells, enhances the cytotoxic activity of NK cells, cytotoxic T lymphocytes, lymphokine activated killer cells and increases the proliferation of preactivated T cells and NK cells [51,52]. The anticancer effect of AKG is also supported by the O-alkyl groups storage found into cancer cells that display a low or absent expression of O-alkyl monooxygenase enzyme activity as they are unable to face the abnormal distribution of these glyceryl ether lipids [53,54]."

"Although the studies reported in this review encourage the AKG clinical use, we have not reached the evidence based confirmation yet. Since a study [76] in hamsters has shown that squalene and SLO are hypercholesterolemic, caution should be recommended when squalene or SLO are routinely consumed and more studies should be designed to point out if these effects may occur in human subjects.

Although further randomized clinical trials, involving larger cohorts of patients, are required to finally confirm the properties of these molecules and to definitely exclude possible side effects, a spontaneous anedoctical use of these compounds is strongly recommended, especially on a prophylactic perspective."

Theres a lot more in there as well.

Edited by aza, 30 June 2015 - 12:36 PM.

• Informative x 2

#2 aza

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:17 PM

Exposure to nature, forest bathing, Phytoncides ect:

Effect of forest bathing trips on human immune function.   http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19568839

The mean values of NK activity and the numbers of NK, granulysin-, perforin-, and granzymes A/B-expressing cells on forest bathing days were significantly higher than those on the control days, whereas the mean values of the concentration of urinary adrenaline on forest bathing days were significantly lower than that on the control days in both male and female subjects. The increased NK activity lasted for more than 30 days after the trip, suggesting that a forest bathing trip once a month would enable individuals to maintain a higher level of NK activity. In contrast, a visit to the city as a tourist did not increase NK activity, the numbers of NK cells, or the level of intracellular granulysin, perforin, and granzymes A/B. These findings indicate that forest bathing trips resulted in an increase in NK activity, which was mediated by increases in the number of NK cells and the levels of intracellular granulysin, perforin, and granzymes A/B.

Phytoncides (wood essential oils) induce human natural killer cell activity.   http://www.ncbi.nlm....9?dopt=Abstract

To explore the effect of forest bathing on the human immune system, we investigated the effect of phytoncides (wood essential oils) on natural killer (NK) activity and the expression of perforin, granzyme A and granulysin in human NK cells. We used NK-92MI cell, an interleukin-2 independent human NK cell line derived from the NK-92 cell, in the present study. NK-92MI cells express the CD56 surface marker, perforin, granzyme A, and granulysin by flow cytometry and are highly cytotoxic to K562 cells in chromium release assay. Phytoncides significantly increase cytolytic activity of NK-92MI cells in a dose-dependent manner and significantly increase the expression of perforin, granzyme A, and granulysin in the NK-92MI cells. Phytoncides also partially, but significantly, restore the decreased human NK activity and the decreased perforin, granzyme A, and granulysin expression in NK-92MI cells induced by dimethyl 2,2-dichlorovinyl phosphate (DDVP), an organophosphorus pesticide. Pretreatment with phytoncides partially prevents DDVP-induced inhibition of NK activity. Taken together, these data indicate that phytoncides significantly enhance human NK activity and this effect is at least partially mediated by induction of intracellular perforin, granzyme A, and granulysin.

Forest bathing enhances human natural killer activity and expression of anti-cancer proteins. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17903349

Twelve healthy male subjects, age 37-55 years, were selected with informed consent from three large companies in Tokyo, Japan. The subjects experienced a three-day/two-night trip in three different forest fields. On the first day, subjects walked for two hours in the afternoon in a forest field; and on the second day, they walked for two hours in the morning and afternoon, respectively, in two different forest fields. Blood was sampled on the second and third days, and NK activity; proportions of NK, T cells, granulysin, perforin, and granzymes A/B-expressing cells in PBL were measured. Similar measurements were made before the trip on a normal working day as the control. Almost all of the subjects (11/12) showed higher NK activity after the trip (about 50 percent increased) compared with before. There are significant differences both before and after the trip and between days 1 and 2 in NK activity. The forest bathing trip also significantly increased the numbers of NK, perforin, granulysin, and granzymes A/B-expressing cells. Taken together, these findings indicate that a forest bathing trip can increase NK activity, and that this effect at least partially mediated by increasing the number of NK cells and by the induction of intracellular anti-cancer proteins.

The physiological effects of Shinrin-yoku (taking in the forest atmosphere or forest bathing): evidence from field experiments in 24 forests across Japan. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19568835

In order to clarify the physiological effects of Shinrin-yoku, we conducted field experiments in 24 forests across Japan. In each experiment, 12 subjects (280 total; ages 21.7 +/- 1.5 year) walked in and viewed a forest or city area. On the first day, six subjects were sent to a forest area, and the others to a city area. On the second day, each group was sent to the other area as a cross-check. Salivary cortisol, blood pressure, pulse rate, and heart rate variability were used as indices. These indices were measured in the morning at the accommodation facility before breakfast and also both before and after the walking (for 16 +/- 5 min) and viewing (for 14 +/- 2 min). The R-R interval was also measured during the walking and viewing periods. The results show that forest environments promote lower concentrations of cortisol, lower pulse rate, lower blood pressure, greater parasympathetic nerve activity, and lower sympathetic nerve activity than do city environments. These results will contribute to the development of a research field dedicated to forest medicine, which may be used as a strategy for preventive medicine.

Therapeutic effect of forest bathing on human hypertension in the elderly. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22948092

Our results provided direct evidence that forest bathing has therapeutic effects on human hypertension and induces inhibition of the renin–angiotensin system and inflammation, and thus inspiring its preventive efficacy against cardiovascular disorders.

Shinrin-yoku (forest-air bathing and walking) effectively decreases blood glucose levels in diabetic patients.

the influence of "shinrin-yoku" (forest-air bathing and walking) on blood glucose levels in diabetic patients was examined. Eighty-seven (29 male and 58 female) non-insulin-dependent diabetic patients [61 (SEM 1) years old] participated in the present study. Shinrin-yoku was performed nine times over a period of 6 years. The patients were divided into two parties. They then walked in the forest for 3 km or 6 km according to their physical ability and/or the existence of diabetic complications. The mean blood glucose level after forest walking changed from 179 (SEM 4) mg.100 ml-1 to 108 (SEM 2) mg.100 ml-1 (P < 0.0001). The level of glycated haemoglobin A1c also decreased from 6.9 (SEM 0.2)% (before the first shinrin-yoku) to 6.5 (SEM 0.1)% (after the last shinrin-yoku; P < 0.05). Blood glucose values declined by 74 (SEM 9) mg.100 ml-1 and 70 (SEM 4) mg.100 ml-1 after short- and long-distance walking respectively. There was no significant difference between these values. Since the forest environment causes changes in hormonal secretion and autonomic nervous functions, it is presumed that, in addition to the increased calorie consumption and improved insulin sensitivity, walking in a forest environment has other beneficial effects in decreasing blood glucose levels.

Edited by aza, 30 June 2015 - 01:19 PM.

• like x 1

#3 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 12:14 PM

At the risk of sounding weird, here is something I do: I eat bits of most of the plants in my garden.

I have a small to medium garden, in which I grow flowers. I do not want to grow vegetables, because it would restrict the number of flowers I grow. To begin with, I did not realise most of my flowers and flower parts are edible, but, when I systematically looked them up, I was surprised to find that the majority are edible--in other words, non poisonous. The trouble is, of course, that most of them do not taste very nice. However, before I started eating them I was already chewing bitter seeds such as nigella sativa, and I had found my tolerance to bitterness increasing. Nowadays I can crunch an aspirin without bother, whereas once it would have tasted disgusting. I think the brain can adapt to most tastes, so long as the source is not poisonous.

I remember reading Catching Fire by primatologist Richard Wrangham, in which he described a personal experiment in which he ate nothing but the foods chimpanzees eat. He found, among other things, that many were surprisingly bitter. To me this suggests that though we have evolved as a species away from a taste for bitterness, we could nevertheless eat many bitter things without harm. It is not necessarily the case, as I once thought, that bitterness signals unsuitability for consumption.

I am not a paleo person, but I do like to reflect on how our digestive system evolved in relation to the plant world that surrounds us. It makes sense to me that we are adapted to absorb nutritional benefit from plants--and maybe not only from the ones we can buy at the grocery store which we call food. After all, many drugs and herbal supplements come from such non-food plant sources as weeds, barks, vines, flowers, algae, etc. It follows for me that most of the plants around us will contain health-giving compounds, if only because the compounds that protect plants might protect us too, since we evolved in mutual benefit with them.

I began just by eating bits of certain well-known weeds as I weeded the garden--things such as dandelion and nettle. It was obvious, when I came to think about it, that the weediest plants are likeliest to have the best defences. I looked up various herbal supplements and found that a large number of them come from invasive or super-hardy plants, which makes perfect sense. After looking up edibility on line, I increased the number of plants I eat from my garden. I cannot say I do this in large amounts, but my thought is that if they contain health-giving properties I might as well benefit for free.

It has to be said that most of what I nibble has not been fully researched medicinally, if at all. But I am encouraged by the fact that when one looks into herbal supplements, the number of compounds in them is very high. In most cases, researchers are not sure which components are the most beneficial--it may above all be a question of synergy. I am also struck by the fact that many of the healthy compounds in plants can be found across a range of plants; so I am gambling that some of the medicinally unresearched plants in my garden by chance contain similar or equivalent compounds to those few whose benefits are proven.

Take bark, for example. Since bark protects the tree, it inevitably contains protective substances. We know some of these have found their way into medicinal and herbal supplements--for example, aspirin from willow, extracts from pine bark, magnolia, amur cork tree, or whatever. I chew bits of bark or wood from various trees and shrubs just on the offchance they might be good for me--at the least they give me a little fibre. It is the same with roots. But all parts of a plant can be nutritious.

Along with nettle, dandelion, valerian, and various weeds, I originally also started eating my nasturtium leaves, flowers, and seeds. Of course, these are known to be edible for salads--there is even some research on them, though not much. Since they taste very much like mustard and cress, I assume they contain the same or similar oils. So, apart from anything else, this saves me buying cress, which has been named one of the healthiest foods, I believe. Certainly my climbing nasturtiums behave in a vigorous and invasive manner, typical of many plants from which herbal extracts are taken.

I started eating flowers after a little incident with candytuft. I sowed candytuft only once--it self-seeds strongly and is supervigorous, a good sign. One day I was sitting in the garden in the sun and I cut a toe. Rather than go in and get a plaster, I instinctively chewed some candytuft flowers and stuck them on the cut as a poultice. To my astonishment, the wound healed super-rapidly (it seemed miraculous at the time, but I do not wish to exaggerate--I did something similar another time with some chewed ajuga leaves).

Candytuft is an interesting case because it tastes so intensely bitter as to be borderline unpalatable. But I noticed the taste was somewhat similar to nigella sativa, a proven medicinal seed whose taste I mask by including it in a panch poran seed mix (traditional Bengali), with prostate and pancreas health in mind. The taste is not far off that of aspirin, either, except even more oppressive. Over time I started to recognise this particular sort of bitter flavour as likely to be health giving, at least in small doses ... for a mild version, try dandelion leaves. Animals such as cows do not hesitate to eat thus-flavoured plants--in fact, they seem to regard dandelions and other weeds and flowers (with a few exceptions, eater beware) as delicacies.

Has this habit done me good? I cannot say, because, not to tempt fate, I am very healthy anyway, from eating good real food, exercise, etc. I do take certain herbal supplements, but I cannot afford every last one, and so I feel it does no harm, at the very least, to chew a few unheralded plants from my garden. One thing I can say, I do not suffer from insect bites these day--not even mozzies come near, and flies will not land on me--presumably because of the effect of the insect-repellent compounds in the thriving plants I nibble.

My thinking--unsupported by particular proofs, but there is a spattering of evidence for it in certain medicinal plants--is that not only are most of the plants around us potentially useful to eat but they actually regulate our genes, thanks to our enormously lengthy co-evolution with plants. It seems to me unlikely that some of the Chinese and Indian herbs our ancestors never had access to should hold the monopoly on health-giving properties. There must be equivalents closer to home, or these far-flung remedies would not work on us. Where I live, the hardiest tree is the hawthorn, which grows higher on the moors than any other, withstanding Atlantic gales. It has been studied only slightly, and its medicinal qualities look promising. I eat all parts of the hawthorn for free.

Edited by Gerrans, 11 July 2015 - 01:02 PM.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 aza

• Topic Starter
  • 128 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:34 PM

Hmmmm, didnt notice this before but it could be interesting.

Uptake and protective effects of ergothioneine in human endothelial cells. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/25022513

ROS production and cell death induced by pyrogallol, xanthine oxidase plus xanthine, and high glucose were suppressed by ergothioneine.

#5 nushu

• 247 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:56 PM

I do self immunization with snake venom. I have a "pet" copperhead snake I milk. I use a small amount of diluted venom, inject it SQ with an insulin syringe. Science is just scratching the surface with venoms, yet they have been used since ancient Times. Google "controtrostatin", it's only in copperhead venom.
  • Informative x 1

#6 nushu

• 247 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:58 PM

http://ngm.nationalg...om/holland-text
  • like x 1

#7 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:08 PM

I would add holotropic breathwork
http://www.holotropic.com/
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17931070
for treatment of alcoholism
http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9035850

CEREBROSPINAL FLUID STASIS AND ITS CLINICAL SIGNIFICANCE
http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2842089/

lots more....
  • like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lifestyle, practices, beneficial, compounds, health, odd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users