- - - - -

Cheap, Highly available and liposoluble curcumin

curcumin

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 frhed

• 3 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:16 PM

This is my first post, and i don't speak english very well, so please be indulgent.

Everyone knows the very poor availability of pure curcumin, and expansive efforts of the firms to improve it (liposomes, piperin, phytosomes etc.)

Curcumin is said lipophile, but if you have tried to put it in oil, you may have noticed that very few get dissolved.

BUT, when you put ground turmeric in oil, during cooking, the whole oil take the color of curcumin very quickly.

It may be because of essential oil, and others oils which are in the ground turmeric, and increase curcumin liposolubility.

Furthermore, turmerone (a part of turmeric essential oil) increase gut transport of curcumin:

(http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22181075)

And thats why biocurcumax use it in its patent:

(http://www.ncbi.nlm....erm=biocurcumax)

But how is processed curcumin?

First you extract oleoresin from turmeric, with ethanol or acetone. After evaporation, you get a brownish and viscous liquid, containing around 55% curcuminoides, 35% essential oil and 10% of others oil (it depends on the the turmeric you use). It looks like that: (try google pics "turmeric oleoresin, i didnt manage to put a picture on my post)

How well solubilized are these so "poor soluble" curcuminoids!!!

This oleoresin is very cheap, used in agralimentary, cosmetic industry for colour and others applications.

If you want curcumin, you first precipitate curcuminoids with ether, and then separate curcumin with chromatography.

but why would we want to loose essential oils?

They have the same anticancer, antidiabetic, antioxydant (etc) properties:

(http://www.ncbi.nlm....rm=turmeric oil)

Why would we want to lost other curcuminoids? They too have the same properties!!

(http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23847105)

Oleoresin has a very good oil solubility, a perfect miscibility with ethanol, whereas oil solubility of pure curcumine is aroud  10mg/L, and around  100mg:L for ethanol (i'm not sure of the exact values, but that's in this area).

How could we consume it? with honey, with peanut, almond, sesame butter, with lecithin, it melet very well on my own experience.

The price of 500ml of oleoresin (containing 55% all curcuminoids, and 35% curcumin) is around  30 dollars... 30 dollars for a bioavailable, oil soluble curcumin!

I think there is a kind of scam in those expansive pills with curcumin; Sometimes they even re-add turmerone or turmeric essential oil to the purified curcumin!

I'm sorry about my poor english.. If someone wants to propose me a correction of my post, that i can then re-post, MP me.

• like x 1

#2 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 02:16 PM

I always think it makes sense to take an extract along with a whole-spectrum source, in case some synergies will help. So, curcumin with turmeric, for example.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 zorba990

• 1,602 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:39 AM

Certainly seems true

http://pubs.acs.org/....1021/jf061788t

" Turmeric, the rhizome of Curcuma longa L., has a wide range of effects on human health. Turmeric oleoresin, an extract of turmeric, is often used for flavoring and coloring. Curcuminoids and turmeric essential oil are both contained in turmeric oleoresin, and both of these fractions have hypoglycemic effects. In the present study, we comprehensively assessed the effect of turmeric oleoresin on hepatic gene expression in obese diabetic KK-Ay mice using DNA microarray analysis and quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR). Female KK-Ay mice aged 6 weeks (n = 6/group) were fed a high-fat diet containing turmeric oleoresin, curcuminoids, and essential oil for 5 weeks. The same diet without any of these fractions was used as a control diet. Ingestion of turmeric oleoresin and essential oil inhibited the development of increased blood glucose and abdominal fat mass, while curcuminoids only inhibited the increase in blood glucose. DNA microarray analysis indicated that turmeric oleoresin ingestion up-regulated the expression of genes related to glycolysis, β-oxidation, and cholesterol metabolism in the liver of KK-Ay mice, while expression of gluconeogenesis-related genes was down-regulated. Real-time PCR analysis was conducted to assess the contribution of the curcuminoids and essential oil in turmeric oleoresin to the changes in expression of representative genes selected by DNA microarray analysis. This analysis suggested that curcuminoids regulated turmeric oleoresin ingestion-induced expression of glycolysis-related genes and also that curcuminoids and turmeric essential oil acted synergistically to regulate the peroxisomal β-oxidation-related gene expression induced by turmeric oleoresin ingestion. These changes in gene expression were considered to be the mechanism by which the turmeric oleoresin affected the control of both blood glucose levels and abdominal adipose tissue masses. All of these results suggest that the use of whole turmeric oleoresin is more effective than the use of either curcuminoids or the essential oil alone."

Oil source (not organic) http://www.lalaessen...5-curcumin.html

Any idea on organic pricing?

Edited by zorba990, 25 July 2015 - 02:41 AM.

• Good Point x 1

#4 frhed

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:08 PM

Unfortunately i didnt find any seller of organic oleoresin who sells to individual buyer. Usually they sell to agralimentary industry, so just don't mention the price.. it would be interesting create a group which buy important amounts...

#5 zorba990

• 1,602 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:13 AM

Unfortunately i didnt find any seller of organic oleoresin who sells to individual buyer. Usually they sell to agralimentary industry, so just don't mention the price.. it would be interesting create a group which buy important amounts...

How hard is diy to make this? e.g. cold oil press

https://www.piteba.c...g/index_eng.asp

#6 frhed

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:48 AM

Well i don't think you need anything like this... Oleoresin is just an ethanolic extract (you can also useuse good quality acetone). Melt good quality turmeric with solvant, wait some hours (or few minutes with micro wave), filter. Then evaporate solvant with negative pression (modified bycicle pomp) and low heating. Then you have oleoresin. I had a protocole for this, i will try to find it...

I think oleoresin is interesting, because you can take larger amounts of curcumin than pure turmeric, and you avoid oxalates present in ground turmeric.
but ... you loose some hydrophilic prinviples which are good also and have the same antidiabetic, antiinflammatory, erc properties

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 October 2015 - 10:28 AM

In order to get a better extraction it may be worth an hydro-alcohol process, usually it 70% alcohol and 30% water, food grade ethilic alcohol is probably best for health concerns.

Calcium supplements given along with foods high in oxalic acid can cause calcium oxalate to precipitate in the gut and reduce the levels of oxalate absorbed by the body (by 97% in some cases).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxalate

I use plain turmeric powder mix with powder grind eggs shells and fatty foods or coconut oil immediately before or afterward.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: curcumin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users