• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

Book recommendation

machine learning

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Antonio2014

• 634 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:32 PM

Can anybody recommend a good book about machine learning? I'm a mathematician. I have had several different jobs in my life (currently I'm a translator) and I'm considering redirecting my career to a machine learning related job. I used artificial neural networks for time series analysis in a small project some years ago during a colaboration between an university and a company. I want a broad view of the field, apart from neural nets: what techniques are available, how they are used in practice, which caveats I need to know, etc. Not an outreach book, but something like an introductory book for undergraduates whishing to specialize in the field.

#2 Super Neuro

• 22 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:00 AM

If you're a mathematician why are you asking for an undergrad level book? Any statistical pattern recognition book could give you the background you need if you haven't branched into statistics. As for MI-specific books, I recommend you don't read books.

Instead, get familiar with a programming language that can build MI and begin playing with it. I've built MI in R, Matlab, and am working on one in Java. Python is probably the most popular MI language at the moment.

Pick one of those up and build something simple, such as a support vector machine. You'll naturally run into problems, and that's where you'll find yourself looking up specific pieces of information, which will become your reading materials, or "books." There is never reason to start with a book if you're capable of actually doing.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 elfanjo

• 73 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:47 PM

Not a book either but coursera.org has quality courses on machine learning and it is free !

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: machine learning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users