• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Immortality Roadmap

immortality roadmap

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 turchin

• 59 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:38 PM

Direct link on pdf: http://immortality-r...om/IMMORTEN.pdf

A lot of people value indefinite life extension, but most have their own preferred method of achieving it. The goal of this map is to present all known ways of radical life extension in an orderly and useful way.

A rational person could choose to implement all of these plans or to concentrate only on one of them, depending on his available resources, age and situation. Such actions may be personal or social; both are necessary.

The roadmap consists of several plans; each of them acts as insurance in the case of failure of the previous plan. (The roadmap has a similar structure to the "Plan of action to prevent human extinction risks".) The first two plans contain two rows, one of which represents personal actions or medical procedures, and the other represents any collective activity required.

Plan A. The most obvious way to reach immortality is to survive until the creation of Friendly AI; in that case if you are young enough and optimistic enough, you can simply do nothing – or just fund MIRI. However, if you are older, you have to jump from one method of life extension to the next as they become available. So plan A is a relay race of life extension methods, until the problem of death is solved.

This plan includes actions to defeat aging, to grow and replace diseased organs with new bioengineered ones, to get a nanotech body and in the end to be scanned into a computer. It is an optimized sequence of events, and depends on two things – your personal actions (such as regular medical checkups), and collective actions such as civil activism and scientific research funding.

Plan B. However, if Plan A fails, i.e. if you die before the creation of superintelligence, there is Plan B, which is cryonics. Some simple steps can be taken now, such as calling your nearest cryocompany about a contract.

Plan C. Unfortunately, cryonics could also fail, and in that case Plan C is invoked. Of course it is much worse – less reliable and less proven. Plan C is so-called digital immortality, where one could be returned to life based on existing recorded information about that person. It is not a particularly good plan, because we are not sure how to solve the identity problem which will arise, and we don’t know if the collected amount of information would be enough. But it is still better than nothing.

Plan D. Lastly, if Plan C fails, we have Plan D. It is not a plan in fact, it is just hope or a bet that immortality already exists somehow: perhaps there is quantum immortality, or perhaps future AI will bring us back to life.

The first three plans demand particular actions now: we need to prepare for all of them simultaneously. All of the plans will lead to the same result: our minds will be uploaded into a computer with help of highly developed AI.

The plans could also help each other. Digital immortality data may help to fill any gaps in the memory of a cryopreserved person. Also cryonics is raising chances that quantum immortality will result in something useful: you have more chance of being cryopreserved and successfully revived than living naturally until you are 120 years old.

After you have become immortal with the help of Friendly AI you might exist until the end of the Universe or even beyond – see my map “How to prevent the end of the Universe”.

A map of currently available methods of life extension is a sub-map of this one and will published later.

The map was made in collaboration with Maria Konovalenko and Michael Batin and its earlier version was presented in August 2014 in Aubrey de Grey’s conference Rejuvenation Biotechnology.

Pdf of the map is here

IMMORTEN.jpg

#2 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:26 PM

I know I won't make it

#3 Antonio2014

• 634 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:53 AM

My scheme would be different:

Plan A: funding rejuvenation biomedicine research.

Plan B: cryonics.

I don't see why AI should be able to research biomedicine faster than humans. Also, I'm not confident that AI will be constructed in this century.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 turchin

• Topic Starter
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:26 AM

In fact funding of rejuvination and other research is in plan A, second, social row is all about it.

My scheme would be different:

Plan A: funding rejuvenation biomedicine research.

Plan B: cryonics.

I don't see why AI should be able to research biomedicine faster than humans. Also, I'm not confident that AI will be constructed in this century.

#5 Danail

• 35 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:25 PM

Nice work, @turchin  !!!!

By the way, why do you pay so much attention on cyborgization? The step, that you name "a new body" is enough for the people to be immortal. Ifwe can make and transplant genetically identicle with us organs, from stem cells, we will be able to live forever.

• like x 1

#6 turchin

• Topic Starter
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:22 PM

New body is not enough as you need also new brain )) To get immortal brain one needs to get a computer one.

#7 Antonio2014

• 634 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:12 AM

Not really, you simply need to repare brain damage (beta-amyloid, etc.) regularly and adecuately protect it from accidents.

#8 turchin

• Topic Starter
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:34 AM

Biological systems are not build to exist forever, many other problems will accumulate, like microstrokes, cancer cells, apoptosis, and in result biological brain may exist only several hundreds years. With use of stem cells and extremely safe conditions it may be extend to 1000-2000, and if we replace neurons with nanobots, may be more. But real immortality is much longer ))) And for it one need adequate back up. Which only possible by coping information on a computer and creation of brain emulation.

#9 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:53 AM

When you replace something from you with a machine, or an implant, you are loosing irreversibly that part of you. If you replace the whole your body with machinery and electronics, then you will actually kill yourself, and will build a robot on your place. Replacing yourself with artifitial parts is a prolonged suicidal plan, not a plan for living forever.

We are biological systems. We may live forever only by replacing biological parts with biological parts, and not just any biological parts, but parts, that have our own DNA. This is why I think, stem cells generated replacing parts are the key for our immortality.

Microstrokes brain damage and death neurons is best to be replaced with implanting new biological neurons, created from your stem cells, containing your DNA.

If you manage to survive 1000 years, then you will not be bothered with the cancer, because by then all cancers will be healed with effective and cheap drugs.

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#10 turchin

• Topic Starter
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:46 AM

I don't think that personal identity is equally distributed in my body and that with teeth implants I am loosing any part of me. Probably it is in the brain, and not in the whole brain, but in the some part of it. How it depends of biology is open question for now. I am working now on separate map about solving identity question, where I hope to address all this questions. 

• Agree x 1

#11 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:28 PM

Alright, lets say, that for what makes you, you will not need anything else except the part of the brain, that will hold your identity. In this case, if you want to be immortal, you will have to find a way to keep that part intact, and to repair constantly all the damages occuring in it, not to make a copy of it, and let your brain die.

Your idea of final immortality success is mind uploading, digital backups, and realistic simulations. This is not saving your most important part of the brain, man, instead it is making a perfect copy of it. When your brain dies, the remaining copy will not be you, it will be only your copy. And realistic simulations is not the real world. Realistic simulation is like playing a mercedes simmulator and claiming, that you own a real mercedes.

• Agree x 2

#12 follies

• 29 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:18 PM

Or like playing my iTunes and claiming I own the record.

If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?

#13 turchin

• Topic Starter
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:56 PM

This map is made assumption that identity problem will be solved in the future, but before uploading. We can't now say how.

This map is not addressing the copy identity problem as it itself may be as complex as aging. I hope to publish another map on identity as soon as possible as I see it is the most interesting topic.

#14 Antonio2014

• 634 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:45 PM

Biological systems are not build to exist forever

Neither are computers.

many other problems will accumulate, like microstrokes, cancer cells, apoptosis

That is part of what I refer to as "repare brain damage".

• Agree x 1

#15 turchin

• Topic Starter
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:51 AM

But computer systems allow backup, which could make the system highly redundant. The time difference is high - one brain may survive may be several thousands years, but if it will have backups, it will exist as long as civilization - maybe billions of years. 

But even if we need biological brains for consciousness, we still could keep backup information in computers and download in new brain parts, if some are damaged.

Also biological brain could be separated on several parts which will be kept in different places and will be connected by internet. It will provide additional reliability.  

We could also build computers which use biological neurons for calculations. In this case we completely dissolve difference between brains and computers.

#16 Antonio2014

• 634 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:03 AM

I, as seivtcho, would not consider backup as a form of immortality.

#17 Danail

• 35 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:47 PM

@turchin , Some of the organs really can be made artifitially in order for the brain to survive. Artifitial heart, ok. Artifitial heart rythm device- pace maker- ok. Dental implants, you say, lol ok, futuristic mini dialysis implantable machines (artifitial kidneys) ok. Even artifitial lungs and liver is ok. You must know however, that at this moment all of these things can't exist a life time in your body. Actually nothing, that the medicine at this moment can implant or transplant in your body will last for another lifetime. The body tries to remove foreign non biological bodies out of the organism, so it does a variety of things- encapsulates them, try to move them from inside out of the body, makes foreign body type granulomas arround them.

It is true though that the transplants also can't stay in your body a life time. There starts imune reactions from two types- body against the transplant, and transplant against the body. So in transplants, not only your body eats them away in several years, but also the transplant makes your cells (probbably from random parts of your body) die. And some of the cells the transplant may attack may be high diferentiated important cells, that can't be restored back.

If you want immortality through implantology so much, then try to make implantable parts from a medically acceptable (or tolerant) material (most perspective medical implantable metal alloys), that to stay accepted from the organism in their place for several decades. But even then you will have to transplant stem cells made neurons, in order to replace tbe death brain cells, so we come to stem cells technologies again.
  • Good Point x 1

#18 Danail

• 35 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 03:00 PM

P.S. with the stem cells made organs you will not have such problems- the body will accept them and the will not attack the body, and they will have the chance to last another lifetime.

#19 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:57 PM

I know someone who has just had a liver transplant

#20 Lebombo

• 40 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:57 AM

Plan A. The most obvious way to reach immortality is to survive until the creation of Friendly AI; in that case if you are young enough and optimistic enough, you can simply do nothing – or just fund MIRI. However, if you are older, you have to jump from one method of life extension to the next as they become available. So plan A is a relay race of life extension methods, until the problem of death is solved.

This plan includes actions to defeat aging, to grow and replace diseased organs with new bioengineered ones, to get a nanotech body and in the end to be scanned into a computer. It is an optimized sequence of events, and depends on two things – your personal actions (such as regular medical checkups), and collective actions such as civil activism and scientific research funding.

Plan A involves work by Robert Lanza.  

“We’re really on the beginning of a new medical revolution. I think with new technologies — going in and using the stem cells that we were starting to develop — you could prolong lives to several hundred years,” said Lanza.

Lanza, M. D. is currently Chief Scientific Officer at Ocata Therapeutics (formerly Advanced Cell Technology), and Adjunct Professor at Wake Forest University School of Medicine. His current research focuses on stem cells and regenerative medicine and their potential to provide therapies for some of the world’s most deadly and debilitating conditions.

Dr. Lanza has hundreds of publications and inventions, and over 30 scientific books, including “Principles of Tissue Engineering” and “Essentials of Stem Cell Biology,” which are considered the definitive references in the field.  

..was part of the team that cloned the world’s first human embryo, as well as the first to successfully generate stem cells from adults using somatic-cell nuclear transfer (therapeutic cloning).

..was also the first to clone an endangered species (a Gaur), and in 2003, he cloned an endangered wild ox (a Banteng) from the frozen skin cells of an animal that had died at the San Diego Zoo nearly a quarter-of-a-century earlier. Lanza and his colleagues were also the first to demonstrate that nuclear transplantation could be used to reverse the aging process and to generate immune-compatible tissues, including the first organ tissue-engineered from cloned cells. One of his early achievements came from his demonstration that techniques used in preimplantation genetic diagnosis could be used to generate human embryonic stem cells (hESCs) without embryonic destruction.

In October 2014, Dr. Lanza and his colleagues published a paper in the journal The Lancet, providing the first evidence of the long-term safety and possible biologic activity of pluripotent stem cell progeny into humans with any disease.

Full bio: http://www.robertlan...s-robert-lanza/

Plan D would also involve Robert Lanza

Biocentric universe (from Greek: βίοςbios, "life") — also known as biocentrism — is a concept proposed in 2007 by American doctor of medicine Robert Lanza, a scientist in the fields of regenerative medicine and biology,[1][2][3] which sees biology as the central driving science in the universe, and an understanding of the other sciences as reliant on a deeper understanding of biology. Biocentrism states that life and biology are central to beingreality, and the cosmos — consciousness creates the universe rather than the other way around. It asserts that current theories of the physical world do not work, and can never be made to work, until they fully account for life and consciousness.

- https://en.wikipedia...entric_universe

Is Death An Illusion? Evidence Suggests Death Isn’t the End

http://www.robertlan...h-isnt-the-end/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users