- - - - -

eicosanoyl-5-hydroxytryptamide (EHT)

eht

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:33 PM

A friend recommend this to me. Extracted from coffee. Any insights or experiences or thoughts on this stuff?

http://www.signumbio...ces.com/metrade

http://www.signumbio...m/keyreferences

http://www.amazon.co...ailpage_o00_s00

#2 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:28 PM

Hm, quiet expensive.

But I´m curious whether its worth the price and how comparable the effects of coffee are.

Edited by Flex, 30 July 2015 - 11:57 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:25 PM

There are only a few studies of EHT in models of neurodegenerative disease. In this Alzheimer's rat study, it was hypothesized that I2PP2A, which is a PP2A inhibitor, cleaves into I2N or I2C (denoted I2NC), which more severely inhibit PP2A. In turn, PP2A becomes less able to maintain the integrity of intraneuronal tau, resulting in phosphotau and neurofibrillary tangles. ENT was shown to inhibit this property of I2NC. So in the first graph below, you can see that effect clearly, given the reduced phosphotau in the NCEHT group vs the NC group. (The NC group was treated with gene therapy to enhance the formation of I2NC, resulting in cognitive deficits at a young age.) But what happened in the control group, which was given gene therapy encoding for a benign green fluorescent protein (GFP)? In that case, as you can see in the GFPEHT group, phosphotau increased. Granted, this might only prove that the GFP protein was a lousy choice for the control group, but it raised serious questions as to whether PP2A works in an inverted U curve. That is, as you can see in the second graph, methylated PP2A was increased in GFPEHT vs GFP, perhaps to such a degree as to cause the enhanced phosphorylation of tau under such a dose-response regime. (Methylated PP2A is supposedly good, whereas demethylated is supposedly bad.) On the plus side, EHT obliterated amyloid-40 (third graph). So how much cognitive benefit did all this confer (fourth graph)? Hmm... The NCEHT group had the highest (most dysfunctional) neuroscore 6 months after treatment with EHT -- even worse than NC! Granted, the difference was modest, but if this is supposed to result in cognitive rescue, it didn't happen. OTOH, in the novel object exploration test, the NCEHT group performed comparably to GFP controls, whereas NC did modestly worse. They don't seem to have measured performance before the EHT intervention, unfortunately, so the effect of EHT is ambiguous. Finally, they never stated how much EHT each rat got, apart from "0.1% (w/w) EHT formulated diet", which I suppose means a thousandth of their chow by weight. For a human eating 1 kg of food a day, that would be 1 g/day, whereas each Nerium tablet contains 35 mg -- basically a whole bottle a day!

The cognitive rescue aspect was vague, but perhaps would manifest differently in humans, and frankly this gene-therapy-induced fake AD model is rather weak because the affected rats were otherwise healthy.

Meanwhile, the discoverers of EHT (who coauthored the study) are hyping it up on YouTube. Meanwhile, Nerium Intl seems to have made a multilevel marketing campaign out of it. But I don't think this is outright snake oil. The evidence is somewhat compelling, and the theory makes good sense. I just don't think it's ready for prime time. It's not even a case of high-risk-high-reward. It's more that the rat model is too far removed from human reality, especially in this case. I'm sure that plenty of critics will assume that it's all garbage just because of the multilevel marketing aspect, but I prefer to ignore the marketing veneer, and look at the science. For now, the proof level isn't even close to what we have with other moderately effective supplements. And the economics are completely untenable, if the rat doses are suggestive of similar human doses. What we need, for starters, is a company that can stamp out 1g EHT tablets, but it sounds like Nerium has an exclusive on the patent, and such bulk volumes don't seem to jive with their overpackaged, underpowered brain multivitamin approach.

EDIT: I just perused a few anecdotes on YouTube. The most commonly reported effect was better sleep, for example. So indirectly, that would support cognitive health. Granted, Nerium EHT contains a lot more than just EHT. Maybe it's the huperzine A, for instance. BTW don't confuse it with other products from Nerium.

Attached Files

Edited by resveratrol_guy, 31 July 2015 - 10:04 PM.

• Informative x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 cylack

• 69 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:47 AM

Too expensive. Just drink decaf coffee for the benefits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users