• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Study: Microneedling + A- and C-vitamins a superior skin treatment (Zeitter 2014)

microneedling skin

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 proileri

• 80 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:27 AM

I'm not sure if this was posted already, didn't notice it anywhere. 

http://www.sciencedi...305417913004154

A nice study by Zeitter et al where they compared topical A- and C-vitamin cream with and without microneedling (1 mm) on rat epidermal thickness. Treatment was performed 4 times, once per 3 weeks, and cream applied once per day. The differences were quite dramatic:

1-s2.0-S0305417913004154-gr1.jpg

Edited by proileri, 30 July 2015 - 05:31 AM.

• Informative x 2

#2 proileri

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:24 AM

Also included the table that shows genes upregulated by microneedling. Group C is single microneedling treatment, D is 4x treatment, E is 4x treatment + cream.

Skin-microneedling-rna.png?dl=1

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:40 PM

Good to know. Been rolling for 4 years now.

#4 happy lemon

• 275 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:05 AM

Mustard,

What is the length of the roller needle?

Also, do you roll very hard on your skin so to make sure that you see blood? 

I have thick skin, unless rolling very hard, I have only pinpricks of blood.

#5 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:30 AM

Mustard,

Depends on whether I'm doing a cosmetic roll or a medical roll. Cosmetic rolls are typically .2mm-.3mm and medical rolls are typically 1.0mm+

Dr. Setterfield say's .5mm is long enough for medical rolls but I feel longer than that is better.

You don't have to press down hard. Just a natural rolling motion with some decent pressure. You do not have to see blood to get results. That's a huge myth that many still believe. I see some pinpoint bleeding doing medical rolls but nothing like the gory Youtube videos that are out of a horror movie. :-D

They often are using 3.0mm rollers and or confuse the skin for mincing meat. :sad:

• Needs references x 1

#6 proileri

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:10 AM

Mustard,

The study above used 1 mm roller, and one of their points was that it gives you similar results to 3 mm needles, but causes a lot less visible damage.

How I understand it, the cosmetic effects of dermarolling occur in epidermis and dermis, which are 2-3 mm thick. Epidermis itself isn't very thick, only 0,1-0,2 mm, so a 1 mm needle should penetrate well into the dermis. Drawing blood would mean that dermis has been completely penetrated, reaching the larger blood vessels beneath it. 

module%206%20-%2001.png

Edited by proileri, 31 July 2015 - 10:25 AM.

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#7 proileri

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:39 PM

Note that in the table in 2nd post, the numbers are a bit weird. The authors mentioned that the reason might be that they made gene expression measurements one week after the last treatment, which probably was several weeks after the single treatment group was microneedled. Those numbers represent cell production activity at the time of measurement, not the change in total tissue composition.

There's also a second study this year, this one by El-Domyati et al: http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC4509584/

They seem to have taken measurements from skin samples under a microscope, I assume the percentage here is how much of the slice surface area was stained by specific collagen/elasting-binding stain. Each stain was done independently.

dermarolling-collagen-elastin.png?dl=1

Edited by proileri, 12 August 2015 - 10:00 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: microneedling, skin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users