Can I take MitoQ? (I'm 21)

mitoq

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ImmortalSpace

• 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 July 2015 - 04:36 PM

So I realize Mitochondiral damage happens over time, but I hear a lot of people saying to wait until you're 40. But is this accurate, I mean is it okay for younger people to take something like MitoQ to make sure mitrochondrial damage is reduced and the Primary AOxidants are in check?

I ordered a lot, the research in MitoQ seems promising- I just don't want it to be in vain.. is there really any benefit for someone to start taking it at 20, 21 etc? :mellow:

• unsure x 1

#2 gregmacpherson

• 127 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:51 AM

Hi, 

You might see some benefit at 21 but I would suggest you start taking it in your late twenties to early thirties.  

Unless you have an underlying health issue that you are looking to support of course. 

Not that I want to turn down a sale!! But I think taking MitoQ a little later will save you a few dollars now and have the most impact for you later.  Remember that in most cases you don't start to feel the impact of aging until your forties.  Investing in preventative supplements in your thirties will be the sweet spot of intervention. 

I wish you all the best! 

Thanks

Greg

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ImmortalSpace

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:18 AM

Hi, 

You might see some benefit at 21 but I would suggest you start taking it in your late twenties to early thirties.  

Unless you have an underlying health issue that you are looking to support of course. 

Not that I want to turn down a sale!! But I think taking MitoQ a little later will save you a few dollars now and have the most impact for you later.  Remember that in most cases you don't start to feel the impact of aging until your forties.  Investing in preventative supplements in your thirties will be the sweet spot of intervention. 

I wish you all the best! 

Thanks

Greg

So are you saying mitoq doesn't prevent damage to mitrochondria if you start early? I'm sure my mitrochondria will be more damaged next year due to aging so wouldn't taking mitoq prevent that damage??

• unsure x 1

#4 gregmacpherson

• 127 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:06 AM

Hi,

What I am saying is that you have satisfactory levels of mitochondrial antioxidant capacity and protection in your twenties and the benefit of MitoQ will really kick in at some point in your late twenties/early thirties.  Taking MitoQ before then may be surplus to requirements.  Of course, there are those that live a lifestyle that may benefit from earlier intervention than later. 

All the best

Greg

#5 ImmortalSpace

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 August 2015 - 03:11 PM

Hi,

What I am saying is that you have satisfactory levels of mitochondrial antioxidant capacity and protection in your twenties and the benefit of MitoQ will really kick in at some point in your late twenties/early thirties.  Taking MitoQ before then may be surplus to requirements.  Of course, there are those that live a lifestyle that may benefit from earlier intervention than later. 

All the best

Greg

I see what you're saying but my mitochondrial function certainly or likely isn't the same level when I was 16 or 15- which presumably means if I take mitoq and niagen the nad+ booster I can revert the mitochondrial damage right? Maybe mitoq and niagen is like sunscreen- a preventative intervention in which people of all ages benefit from its anti aging qualities.

• Good Point x 1

#6 ImmortalSpace

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 August 2015 - 04:43 PM

I calculated that taking MitoQ over 10 years would cost 3000$. If I combine that with Niagen, what would the benefits be for someone my age?

Any biochemists or molecular biologists here have any expertise answers on this?

Also this is considering I exercise everyday\ and do yoga often and eat a healthy (fruits, veggies, organic meat and nuts and seeds) also a low Glycemic Index diet.

Edited by ImmortalSpace, 03 August 2015 - 04:45 PM.

#7 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:27 PM

I calculated that taking MitoQ over 10 years would cost 3000$. If I combine that with Niagen, what would the benefits be for someone my age?

Any biochemists or molecular biologists here have any expertise answers on this?

Also this is considering I exercise everyday\ and do yoga often and eat a healthy (fruits, veggies, organic meat and nuts and seeds) also a low Glycemic Index diet.

Every drug has risks.  (yes, MitoQ is a drug.)  It may take years or even decades for those risks to become apparent.  You are younger than most people here, so your risk/benefit calculation is different than most of ours.  I use compounds today in my 50's that I wouldn't have used when I was 21.  If I was you, I'd wait for the science to catch up with some of the newer compounds on the market.

• Agree x 2

#8 ImmortalSpace

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:38 PM

As far as I know Mitoq is just Coq10  which is natural but formulated to enter the mitrochondria (MitoQ) and Coq10 declindes after age 20

• unsure x 1

#9 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:20 PM

As far as I know Mitoq is just Coq10  which is natural but formulated to enter the mitrochondria (MitoQ) and Coq10 declindes after age 20

No, it's definitely not just CoQ.  If you go to the MitoQ.com site, I think they have a section on the science.  You could read that.

#10 ImmortalSpace

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:31 PM

No, it's definitely not just CoQ.  If you go to the MitoQ.com site, I think they have a section on the science.  You could read that.

That's what I said- It's just Coq "formulated to enter the cell".

#11 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:40 PM

That's what I said- It's just Coq "formulated to enter the cell".

That's not what "formulated" means.  Formulation means mixing it with stuff, grinding it into a very fine powder, packaging it in ways that alter absorption-- stuff like that.  When you make a covalent bond between the molecule and something else, it becomes a new molecule.  That's what's going on with MitoQ.  The result is a new molecule that no longer has the same properties as the old one. 

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • Informative x 1

#12 onz

• 117 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:30 AM

I don't fully understand Greg's reply, bu totally get the point immortalspace is making. Prevention is better than cure. Greg are you able to elaborate on this please?

Mitochondrial damage accumulates, so the idea is to prevent or delay the symptoms from occurring - using sun damage as an example, this accumulates even during adolescents and the affects don't become obvious until later on. Satisfactory levels of endogenous mito antioxidants doesn't appear to be sufficient at preventing the accumulation of damage, so in theory low dose (5mg) supplementing for additional protection with a compound that has thorough research behind it may be quite wise. Or is there something we're missing hear?

#13 gregmacpherson

• 127 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:42 AM

Hi,  have thought through this a little more ...

From a cost benefit perspective then you are going to get optimal benefit vs cost taking MitoQ from your thirties and ongoing.

If money is no  issue then taking MitoQ from your twenties will be beneficial.  You may not need MitoQ all of the time at this age but what it will do is protect you during instances where you have bursts of oxidative stress or you encounter an environmental mitochondrial stressor.  This sort of stress with be normally handled with endogenous antioxidant capacity but you will be giving yourself additional "insurance" that mitigates the risk of mitochondrial damage or cellular stress secondary to mitochondrial dysfunction. 

Thanks

• WellResearched x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#14 pleiotropic

• 74 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:05 AM

My 2c: DO NOT take MitoQ for no reason.  

Why? MitoQ safety has not been fully investigated in humans.  It looks like it's poorly understood in animals too.  More research is needed.

http://www.cell.com/...1247(15)00521-5 (open access paper)

MitoQ also showed dose-dependent toxicity specific for neural stem cells (NSCs) and iPSCs

These results indicate that MitoQ has a narrow therapeutic window and can be harmful to stem cells at higher concentrations.

Our results indicate that the importance of ROS signaling in stem cells makes these cells also sensitive to antioxidants, with potential dose-dependent toxicity. MitoQ significantly impaired self-renewal of WT iPSCs at concentrations that were well tolerated by fibroblasts or differentiated neuronal cells, as well as the cells undergoing reprogramming, suggesting that the cellular metabolism of the latter is still partially fibroblast-like. In mouse embryos in vivo, doses improving mutator HPC phenotypes severely compromised NSC viability, raising the question of MitoQ safety for NSCs. MitoQ comprises ubiquinone, the antioxidant moiety of coenzyme-Q10, covalently linked to lipophilic TPP cation, which enables MitoQ to cross membranes efficiently and to accumulate several-hundred-fold within mitochondria in response to the organelle’s membrane potential (Murphy and Smith, 2007). Different tissues have been reported to accumulate MitoQ with different efficiencies (Rodriguez-Cuenca et al., 2010), making dose control for a specific cell type, or its mitochondria, difficult.

No previous data exist on the effects of MitoQ on stem cells. 

In contrast, high concentrations of NAC did not show toxicity, which suggests to a specific feature for MitoQ and potentially for other mitochondria-accumulating antioxidants

• unsure x 2
  • Informative x 1

#15 onz

• 117 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 03:00 AM

Pleiotropic, your post is quite misleading and appears ill informed. You may not be aware of the discussion that addressed these concerns in the mitoq thread?

Rather than repeat what has already been discussed, here's a link to the thread and a quote from Greg. 

Hi All, 

I wanted to follow up on my earlier comment regarding the recent paper and MitoQ’s effect on Neural Stem Cells (NSC) given the recent posts noting concern. 

The paper indicates that there is a bell shaped dose response curve to MitoQ to murine iPSC in vitro, with protection at 10 nM and toxicity at 50- 100 nM. 

The dose given in this study corresponds to a murine dose of ~ 25- 30 mg/kg/day. 

The recommended dose of MitoQ is 10-20 mg/day for humans. For a 70 kg human gives a  dose ~ 0.15-0.3 mg/kg/day. 

Using the FDA-recommneded adjustment (x 0.08)  to  convert from a mouse to a human dose, gives 2 mg/kg/day, therefore the oral dosing in the mouse  that causes negative effects is ~ many fold higher than the equivalent dose in humans and well beyond the dose of 10-20mg a day recommended in humans.  Ie the dose at which potentially could cause negative effects (assuming full distribution across the BBB) is going to be upwards of 120mg per day.  

More importantly, these effects in mice in vivo were in embryos and only affected pluripotent stem cells. The uptake into the adult brain is far less for MitoQ than in to other tissues and the importance of adult neuronal stem cells, which are not pluripotent,  in the adult brain is not clear. 

Therefore it seems unlikely that oral MitoQ reaches the levels in the adult brain that are of concern for NSC populations and in fact is more likely to be at the level that is supportive of NSC populations and deliver benefit.  

Another key takeaway from this research is that, until we know more, it is prudent for pregnant women and children to avoid taking mitochondrial targeted antioxidants. 

#16 pleiotropic

• 74 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:07 AM

Hey, don't shoot the messenger.  I'm only quoting the authors:

Antioxidants can cure these defects, and mitochondrial-targeted MitoQ was very effective in rescue but also showed toxic effects. Antioxidants are common dietary supplements worldwide. Little is, however, known of their cell-type-specific effects. Our data indicate that a therapeutic dose may vary considerably between cell types: a dose that may rescue pathology in one tissue may severely challenge function in another. An effect on NSC pool may remain undetected for years. Our data implicate the need of dose-effect studies of antioxidants on SSC pools to establish their safety as nutritional supplements or therapeutic agents—especially in the case of antioxidants accumulating into mitochondria.

No harm in healthy younger people waiting for more science.   

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mitoq

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users