Photo

Longecity.org Health / Growth?

web traffic

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:41 AM

How has longecity been performing with traffic over the past decade both nominally? and relatively?

Here is what research I could dig up.

Relative search words for longecity vs imminst

Attached File  ImminstLongecity.png   31.47KB   2 downloads

Source: (Link)

Seems stable or slightly growing...

Relative search words for longecity vs longevity

Attached File  LongevityLongecity.png   36.94KB   2 downloads

Source: (Link)

Tinyiest fraction of longevity. Also note the saddening trend of a decreased relative interest in longevity as of late.

I just checked and longecity.org doesn't even appear in the first 10! pages of google hits for 'longevity'. Try it yourself!

While I haven't been very actively the past 5 years, this site has (and will always have) a special place in my heart. I don't feel like it is achieving its potential today. This site should be "THE" site for longevity discussion with a rapidly growing active user base. It doesn't even show up on a google search for longevity!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish i could put pages of explanation points with out being overly obnoxious.

I'd be interested to see what data the site admins have (They probably have real traffic data) and their perspective on things.

Also, I'll just throw this out there... I work for consulting firm that helps companies set and achieve their goals - i would love to do some pro-bono work for this site if the admins were interested.

With regards,

Lucid

• Agree x 1

#2 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:14 PM

After exploring more of this site I've only recently come to a few conclusions and ideas about this very subject.

- active nutters and trolls outnumber active science-minded and caring people

This did not used to be true for LongeCity. This is a common affliction of many forums, several of which I was part of mod and admin teams. We see a forum begin well with many interesting and thought out discussions, and of course have a pretty open acceptance and tolerance of new members, but slowly the trolls start creeping in, and some of the best members start going dormant.

Even though we often like to say that we should do just fine with the trolls, maybe even have a laugh here and there, and that people should just ignore the trolls - this is not really how the human brain instinctively reacts to seeing unpleasant, dangerous, obnoxious and stupid posts. These really do turn most half-decent people off right on the spot at least a little bit, or bait a select few into an argument (which can be a good or bad thing depending).

I have more to say about that but I'm on mobile right now and it's just not as friendly as computer.

I want to say one more thing though, and I do this in the knowledge of the likelihood of my being ridiculed or downvoted for it (which would only serve to illustrate my point for me):

There are too few women here. Period. The biggest reason for it is the latent and sometimes even celebratory sexism by too many active male posters chasing off the women who actually register and try to participate. And Gawd forbid anybody hint that some prejudice exists, because that automatically places them at the extreme man-hating lesbian feminist end of the spectrum. I saw a few threads where a woman tried to make this place more friendly to women and were quickly shouted down, mocked, or slapped with demeaning labels. And then she went away.

I guarantee you that at least 3 out of every 5 women who read such a thread also disappeared right then or soon after, or decided not to sign up for a user account. You need to keep in mind the type of woman who might be interested in longevity research or brain enhancement. I'm not saying this is a narrow category but the more learned, intelligent and analytical a woman is, the easier it is for her see latent sexism, to notice patterns of inequality, biased language, Freudian slips, etc... the more difficult it will be for her to forget their existence, and the less likely that she willing to endure it. She is likely to speak up about it or just leave and try her luck elsewhere.

Some, like me, chose not to disclose her sex right away because if she did not, then everyone would assume she was male until she said something to the contrary. That makes everything easier and they can stay longer. It automatically helps them be welcomed. Their posts would be a little more taken seriously, more thoughtfully replied to, less objected to, and receive more respectful replies of disagreement. Women all over the internet do it (as do many authors - send their manuscripts out under masculine names, or initial their first names. Today, this age, it still works for women to do this because the bias still lingers among women and men both. It's not just a man issue.).

Now this is not to say that all or even most of the men are behaving this way. What's going on is just that the smaller group of men is louder and more active. Even the rare male who has said something on this topic can also be ridiculed, called various derogatory names that refer to the vagina, weak or brainwashed, perhaps homosexual, perhaps even a real woman in cognito, etc. So it's not like the average man here has a problem with women.

This is the same kind of thing that happens with atheists in the public eye; you have this relatively small group of antitheists that are really loud and highly active, while the average
atheist is really not an antitheist and is just quietly minding their own life.

This actually goes right back to my first point about the trolls and weirdos turning off people who have something to contribute to the community. Being more annoyed than intrigued, more bored than entertained, more depressed than content, more isolated than embraced ... these kinds of things really do take their toll on so many people.

If it happens frequently enough, they begin to actively participate less often, lurk threads instead, gradually feeling more and more disconnected and disengaged... and eventually poof, they never login in again, gone without saying a word. This applies to both the women turned away by the pervasive low regard of women, and to the group of intellectuals, men and women both, turned away by the too-common low quality of discussion.

So that's my two cents for now. :)

Edited by Duchykins, 07 August 2015 - 11:55 PM.

• Informative x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#3 Janusz Czoch

• 23 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:49 AM

Duchykins: N.B. This post is intened to be gender-neutral.

In the face of what you wrote above, how do you feel as of now about recommending Longecity to your male friends?

• Disagree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:15 PM

In the face of what you wrote above, how do you feel as of now about recommending Longecity to your male friends?

This thread appears to be about increasing traffic and use of LongeCity.  You don't need to speak for the OP.

Incidentally, my post was not wholly about gender, though you seem to think it was.  The whole post was really about douchebags and trolls chasing both men and women away, good people who can be a great value to the community and people who could expose this site to their friends, and so on.    Furthermore, the loss of women has been specifically discussed several times before, and not by me.  You should try reading around some more.

Why would this affect how I feel about recommended LongeCity to men?  Oh wait, I brought up something about sexism, I must hate men, right?  :dry:

Either you want to help LongeCity or you don't.  It's that simple.  I will no longer address this particular issue because it will derail the thread.  

We should be offering ideas and trying to help LongeCity.  We need more than search engine tricks.

** To Lucid; even though the site might not be on the first 10 pages of LongeCity, it frequently comes up on the 1st page when searching info about supplements, or nootropics.  Admins are probably already aware of that though.  But it may be something we can use.

• Unfriendly x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#5 Antonio2014

• 634 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:01 AM

It doesn't even show up on a google search for longevity!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, since most users here are interested in nootropics instead of longevity (see the "Introduce yourself" section), that's not surprising.

There is the nutters and trolls problem, of course, but that is commonplace in every scientific forum. I participated some time ago in an astronomy and physics forum until I got bored of discussing with climate change naysayers, creationists and stupids that said that atoms are alive.

I don't agree with the sexism claims. I didn't see any of that here.

Edited by Antonio2014, 12 August 2015 - 11:55 AM.

#6 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:55 PM

Fine, I'll just leave.

• Disagree x 1

#7 Antonio2014

• 634 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:44 PM

Fine, I'll just leave.

?

Edited by Antonio2014, 12 August 2015 - 02:46 PM.

#8 Janusz Czoch

• 23 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:55 PM

This thread appears to be about increasing traffic and use of LongeCity.  You don't need to speak for the OP.

Incidentally, my post was not wholly about gender, though you seem to think it was.  The whole post was really about douchebags and trolls chasing both men and women away, good people who can be a great value to the community and people who could expose this site to their friends, and so on.    Furthermore, the loss of women has been specifically discussed several times before, and not by me.  You should try reading around some more.

Why would this affect how I feel about recommended LongeCity to men?  Oh wait, I brought up something about sexism, I must hate men, right?  :dry:

Either you want to help LongeCity or you don't.  It's that simple.  I will no longer address this particular issue because it will derail the thread.  

[...]

No! What is written by me means exactly explicitly what it says. "This post" means precisely that, it does not refer to anybody else. Because you interpreted the words differently as referring to the original post, it has resulted in you spinning off on a bit of a wild tangent. Should I therefore safely discard most of what you have written? Let me know.

BTW: With regards my stance towards LongeCity, I don't give much of a monkey's about LongeCity. What I care about is sourcing funds rapidly to generate research for SENS. LongeCity is a potential means to that end so I try to ensure it's fit.

I invite you to set aside ideas about gender and answer the original question truthfully as best you can.

Alarmingly LongeCity is not being steered towards what it was created for. This is in no small measure evident by Nootropics displacing LE in the Forum.

Edited by Janusz Czoch, 12 August 2015 - 05:59 PM.

#9 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:07 PM

Thanks for starting this discussion (again).

Great to hear ideas. Need more volunteers, of course, however we do have some funds to pay independent contractors as well.

We are funneling funds into research, but we could do much more.

This community could be more energized, active, and growing.

Who, besides lucid, is willing to put a couple hours a week to help out?

#10 Janusz Czoch

• 23 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 01:18 AM

Thanks for starting this discussion (again).

Great to hear ideas. Need more volunteers, of course, however we do have some funds to pay independent contractors as well.

We are funneling funds into research, but we could do much more.

This community could be more energized, active, and growing.

Who, besides lucid, is willing to put a couple hours a week to help out?

Hi Mind

In your opinion, where lies the critical bottleneck?

#11 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 07:11 PM

Need additional fresh leadership (I say that, even as I sit in such a role).

Need to have regular online (hangout) meetings in order to keep things moving.

#12 Avatar of Horus

• 241 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 11:21 PM

this site ... I don't feel like it is achieving its potential today. This site should be "THE" site for longevity discussion with a rapidly growing active user base.
With regards,
Lucid

Yes, the site has more potential;

and discussions about longevity, the aging-related diseases etc., it would be good.

Regard to the active user base, perhaps there is not enough interest in the people for these things.

#13 lucid

• Topic Starter
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 03:51 AM

This thread appears to be about increasing traffic and use of LongeCity. You don't need to speak for the OP.

Incidentally, my post was not wholly about gender, though you seem to think it was. The whole post was really about douchebags and trolls chasing both men and women away, good people who can be a great value to the community and people who could expose this site to their friends, and so on. Furthermore, the loss of women has been specifically discussed several times before, and not by me. You should try reading around some more.

Why would this affect how I feel about recommended LongeCity to men? Oh wait, I brought up something about sexism, I must hate men, right? :dry:

Either you want to help LongeCity or you don't. It's that simple. I will no longer address this particular issue because it will derail the thread.

We should be offering ideas and trying to help LongeCity. We need more than search engine tricks.

** To Lucid; even though the site might not be on the first 10 pages of LongeCity, it frequently comes up on the 1st page when searching info about supplements, or nootropics. Admins are probably already aware of that though. But it may be something we can use.
When searching for nootropics or supplements in general it doesn't come up for me. More detailed searches do sometimes bring it up. That's how I found this site by accident about 10 years ago now :)

As to the male / female issue, I suspect you are right that there are more men than women. Do you know what types of M/F ratios are normal for other communities? Forums in general? Technology forums? Health wellness forum?

If it's something specific to this site we might can make a real impact. If it's endemic to all forums of this type it might be harder / impossible to fix. One easy small improvement might be finding some quality women moderators.

I expect many things that would improve the user experience for the site would attract more women AND men. Trolls certainly plague both sexes :)

Edited by lucid, 21 August 2015 - 03:55 AM.

#14 YOLF

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:43 AM

I'm thinking the search term longevity has become... disappointing. Right now, people only get older and need more treatments to keep getting older and sicker. Perhaps people are searching for something else and we need to shift to that. I know "anti aging" and "rejuvenation" seem to be big terms. If there is an association of seeking to be older rather than younger and of more years, then we might need to shift to another term or undertake a nationwide advertising campaign as a fundraiser to make LongeCity a widely held meme for seeking rejuvenation and that kind of thing. We need to make it more desirable and less disappointing. For this I would suggest starting a marketing fundraiser and then planning to use the funds with the publication of the next couple of things LongeCity gets involved with and seek collaborative assistance with other LE industry leaders so the marketing fits with the message.

To sum up our pitch, it might look like this: "Did you know there is a community dedicated to this (Welcome/Bienvenido type motion graphic for all terms related to futurism, cutting edge health, and living forever) and we're trying to make it happen right now and that it will be a game changer for the human condition? You should come get involved!" motivational message is most appropriate. It would broadly target people of all ages with multiple versions to attract people of many interests, all designed for the target media outlet (I'm convinced I'll have to make lots and we'll have to first make and analyze a list of media outlets to advertise on). As the message might not be compatible specifically to LongeCity as we've formed out own mission statement which may or may not connect to the masses, it's better to market the entire community, I suggest we start a separate graphic road map site and market for all of the related organizations in our community and give an award or scholarship (including a hosting package) to anyone who successfully starts something new and independently attracts 8000 new people.

I'd love to make something like this happen. Definitely willing to write and manage the project. I'm thinking we could get JRoseland to assist as well. 

#15 lucid

• Topic Starter
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:55 PM

Generally declining.

Attached File  longevity&rejuvination.png   294.79KB   0 downloads

#16 YOLF

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:35 AM

Well, we need to either inspire people to get more active or find more search terms. Surely resveratrol, TA-65, NR, and some other things have been increasing? What about these search terms:

life extension

rejuvenation

stay young (containing)

get younger (containing)

be younger (cont)

not get old (cont)

youthful health

living forever

Can anyone else think of anything?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users