• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Does the uptake of something mean the same thing as its metabolism?

uptake metabolism

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Speculosity

• 54 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:21 PM

Hi everyone. So I'm looking up things that increase glucose metabolism in the brain.

Resveratrol does it, which is great. But I also see that Lipoic Acid might do it, but it uses the term "glucose uptake" instead of glucose metabolism in this study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3819405/

Just wanted to ask if they meant the same thing, I'm not highly educated in neuroscience, just a current hobbyist.

Edited by Speculosity, 12 August 2015 - 04:22 PM.

#2 axonopathy

• Guest Social Engineering Spammer
  • 69 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:37 PM

Metabolism is not the same thing as uptake. Glucose in the blood stream and in the cerebrospinal fluid is taken up by glucose transporters (GLUT1, 2, 3 and GLUT4). 

Glucose metabolism refers to the rate at which glucose is sequentially oxidized to pyruvate. 

Increasing either glucose metabolism or glucose uptake would confer cognitive benefits. 

Glucose uptake is regulated by insulin; many GLUT transporters which carry glucose across the cell membrane are insulin-dependent. Hence, drugs like metformin, which improve insulin sensitivity would also increase glucose uptake.

Thyroid hormone regulates the metabolism of every cell in the body, so T4 / T3 / dietary iodine would increase glucose metabolism. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Speculosity

• Topic Starter
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:41 AM

Thank you kindly.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: uptake, metabolism

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users