- - - - -

Nootropic suggestions for full-time college student

nootropic studying learning memory

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wingless

• 107 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:47 AM

I've experimented with a decent amount of nootropic substances, and I do believe the idea that there is no biological "free lunch" in a sense. So I'm not looking for any super-aggressive, dopaminergic, expensive, or poorly understood substances (noopept is where I draw the line)

On a daily basis I only take nutritional supplements such as fish oil, magnesium, vitamin D, b-complex, etc.

That said, my workload this semester will be difficult since i'm also working nearly full time.

I've never tried any nootropic substances in an academic setting but I plan on using the following, at various intervals

Piracetam/Aniracetam/Noopept

Alpha-GPC + Uridine + ALCAR

CILTEP

Tyrosine

Theanine

Tianeptine Sulfate (for the anxiolytic effect)

Any other suggestions?

edit: I am also interested in trying nicotine, and am wondering if nicotine gum is a good source to use

Edited by Wingless, 04 September 2015 - 02:46 AM.

#2 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:08 AM

Adderall, ritalin, more adderall, prozac, xanax, nardil, desyrel, depakote, propranolol, bupropion, abilify, and of course haloperidol.
Srsly tho, build a time machine, go back to May 1st, and start exercising and taking Bacopa (150+mg) daily.

Srsly tho, ALCAR, green tea (replacing theanine), and the bacopa/exercise.  Maybe acute ginkgo, but better to just embrace the chronic effects (which are more predictable and profound than when used acutely, but which are quite speedy and jittery when combined with caffeine).  Would also recommend kava and ash, in place of tianeptine.

Bacopa induces SERT and tryptophan hydroxylase, and 5-HT signalling is also highly implicated in learning.  Bacopa is also GABAergic (globally) and anti-dopaminergic (in the mPFC), which induces transient drowsiness and/or laziness.

Lithium also induces expression of tyrosine hydroxylase[1], which in excess could produce the opposite, anti-cognitive/demotivational effect in association with DA receptor downregulation, much like excess chronic tyrosine.  What goes up comes down.  As you said, there's no free lunch.  It could be as simple as switching to spring waters eg) crystal geyser or gerolsteiner (which both provide about 600-800mcg Li+/gallon)

Edited by gamesguru, 04 September 2015 - 02:16 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Wingless

• Topic Starter
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:55 AM

Adderall, ritalin, more adderall, prozac, xanax, nardil, desyrel, depakote, propranolol, bupropion, abilify, and of course haloperidol.
Srsly tho, build a time machine, go back to May 1st, and start exercising and taking Bacopa (150+mg) daily.

Srsly tho, ALCAR, green tea (replacing theanine), and the bacopa/exercise.  Maybe acute ginkgo, but better to just embrace the chronic effects (which are more predictable and profound than when used acutely, but which are quite speedy and jittery when combined with caffeine).  Would also recommend kava and ash, in place of tianeptine.

Bacopa induces SERT and tryptophan hydroxylase, and 5-HT signalling is also highly implicated in learning.  Bacopa is also GABAergic (globally) and anti-dopaminergic (in the mPFC), which induces transient drowsiness and/or laziness.

Lithium also induces expression of tyrosine hydroxylase[1], which in excess could produce the opposite, anti-cognitive/demotivational effect in association with DA receptor downregulation, much like excess chronic tyrosine.  What goes up comes down.  As you said, there's no free lunch.  It could be as simple as switching to spring waters eg) crystal geyser or gerolsteiner (which both provide about 600-800mcg Li+/gallon)

I do take ALCAR regularly I actually forgot to include it. I also lift weights 3x a week.

I also do not like taking herbal supplements because their mechanism of action seems less much clear and they are more impure.

Setting aside all of that I also completely avoid GABAergic substances in general, and stick with theanine/green tea/magnesium. Though I have heard a lot about Bacopa and I'll have to consider trying it once I research it more.

I've never heard about Lithium causing expression of tyrosine hydroxylase, something I will definitely look into. I live in the city so I don't think I can just switch water sources, what other sources of Lithium are out there?

Edited by Wingless, 04 September 2015 - 04:22 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:30 AM

Kava is non-GABAergic anxiolytic, but yes an herb of many alkaloids, poorly studied, and with impure or promiscuous pharmacology.  I like herbs because for whatever reason they tend to have less adverse effects, tolerance and withdrawal, and so seem romantically safe.

Lithium orotate, swanson brand.  Used it in 2010, very potent.  Just a half tab daily, for me, was enough to induce side effects.

You can guy Crystal Geyser at Kroger for 99 cents on the gallon, it's freshly packaged too, averages only 5-7 days in plastic, compared to 5-7 weeks for overseas Fiji.  I wouldn't recommend tap water on a friend due to, at the the very least, concerns of high fluoride, which is anti-cognitive.  Tap water literally has 1-2 mg/L, crystal geyster tests in at 0.1mg, so 10 times less fluoride, and also almost double the calcium and magnesium and bicarbonate ions, which are supposedly good for you.

Edit: sometimes you get conflicting studies, suddenly it doesn't look good.  see page 4 of 7

might want to go through some of devinthayer's posts, he studied up a bit on lithium

http://www.longecity...y-do-at-5-10mg/

http://www.longecity...se/#entry470623

Edited by gamesguru, 04 September 2015 - 11:44 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nootropic, studying, learning, memory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users