• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Best Supplement for Social Anxiety?

supplement anxiety social anxiety stacks mental panic brain meditation social best

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Poll: Best Supplement for Social Anxiety? (69 member(s) have cast votes)

Supplement

1. Picamilon (1 votes [1.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.45%

2. Pramiracetam (1 votes [1.45%] - View)

3. Piracetam (6 votes [8.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

4. Myo-Inositol (2 votes [2.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.90%

5. Magnolia root bark (2 votes [2.90%] - View)

6. 5-HTP (2 votes [2.90%] - View)

7. Acetyl L-carnitine (3 votes [4.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

8. Reishi Mushroom (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. Fish Oil (1 votes [1.45%] - View)

10. SAMe (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Voted magnesium (7 votes [10.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.14%

12. L-theanine (15 votes [21.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.74%

13. L-Tyrosine (0 votes [0.00%])

14. L-Lysine (0 votes [0.00%])

15. Manganese (0 votes [0.00%])

16. Ginkgo biloba (0 votes [0.00%])

17. Bacopa (6 votes [8.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

18. Passion Flower (0 votes [0.00%])

19. Kratom (7 votes [10.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.14%

20. Other (16 votes [23.19%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.19%

Continued

1. Lemon Balm (4 votes [5.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.80%

2. Voted Ashwagandha (12 votes [17.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.39%

3. Kava Kava (2 votes [2.90%] - View)

4. Valerian Root (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Chocamine (1 votes [1.45%] - View)

6. 1,3 dimethylamylamine (0 votes [0.00%])

7. St. John's Wort (3 votes [4.35%] - View)

8. Rhodiola Rosea (4 votes [5.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.80%

9. DL-Phenylaline (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Phenibut (20 votes [28.99%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.99%

11. Resveratrol (1 votes [1.45%] - View)

12. L-Tryptophan (0 votes [0.00%])

13. Ginseng (1 votes [1.45%] - View)

14. Relora (2 votes [2.90%] - View)

15. Niacinamide (1 votes [1.45%] - View)

16. Gotu Kola (2 votes [2.90%] - View)

17. Cacao (1 votes [1.45%] - View)

18. Maca (1 votes [1.45%] - View)

19. Turmeric with Black Pepper (3 votes [4.35%] - View)

20. Other (11 votes [15.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 chemicalambrosia

• 393 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:10 PM

What kind of sauerkraut? Are you using store bought, or are you making your own(recipe please?)?

#32 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:20 PM

I get my groceries delivered and eat the stuff I find on Amazon Fresh, Eden organic, they also now carry Bubbies and some awful can of the stuff.  Yes you can make your own too but it's probably not worth the time or effort anymore than making your own yogurt is. You'll not get anymore cultures out of it.

Give it a couple of months, it takes time to build up the cultures in your gut and more time for it to really begin making a home. Eat plenty of bananas and whole grains and other prebiotics to give it a food source. This is just part of the formula for dealing with social anxiety though, the rest is just getting out there... it's a skill that has to be practiced a whole lot and mistakes will be made, cool thing is, people are forgiving.  This stuff just makes it a lot easier to get out there I think.

Edited by Nate-2004, 10 May 2016 - 01:24 PM.

• Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#33 chemicalambrosia

• 393 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:59 PM

Is EDEN Sauerkraut pasteurized and does it contain live Lactobacillus bacteria?
Yes, in pasteurization lowered amounts. EDEN sauerkraut is heat packed and contains substantially lowered amounts of Lactobacillus bacteria. It does contain lactic acid and vitamin C, as well as other very important nutrients. Pasteurization is not sterilization. The aim and effect of pasteurization is to 1.) reduce the bacteria in a food that causes spoilage and 2.) eliminate the bacteria that are pathogenic. In contrast to sterilization, pasteurization is not intended to kill all microorganisms, only those that can cause illness or disease, and those that would cause the food to spoil. All sauerkraut merchandised unrefrigerated is heat-packed (pasteurized) to provide shelf life without refrigeration. Research has found that organic acids such as lactic acid found in EDEN sauerkraut aids in digestion of cabbage and aids in digestion of food in general. The process of fermenting cabbage also produces isothiocyanates, a class of antioxidant-like compounds. Other research shows that cabbage and other cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, kale, collards, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts are the best source of nutrients called indoles. Sauerkraut that is not heat-packed is found in the refrigerated section of markets and does contain live bacteria, but it does not keep for long and must be consumed shortly after purchase. It is not uncommon that some refrigerated sauerkrauts are also heat treated or pasteurized, but do not indicate this on their packages.

http://www.edenfoods...ies_id=6#faq104

It seems like most sauerkraut you find in the store will be pasteurized. However, a local Asian foods store here sells kimchi that is still bubbling when sold.

• Informative x 1

#34 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:38 PM

Is EDEN Sauerkraut pasteurized and does it contain live Lactobacillus bacteria?
Yes, in pasteurization lowered amounts. EDEN sauerkraut is heat packed and contains substantially lowered amounts of Lactobacillus bacteria. It does contain lactic acid and vitamin C, as well as other very important nutrients. Pasteurization is not sterilization. The aim and effect of pasteurization is to 1.) reduce the bacteria in a food that causes spoilage and 2.) eliminate the bacteria that are pathogenic. In contrast to sterilization, pasteurization is not intended to kill all microorganisms, only those that can cause illness or disease, and those that would cause the food to spoil. All sauerkraut merchandised unrefrigerated is heat-packed (pasteurized) to provide shelf life without refrigeration. Research has found that organic acids such as lactic acid found in EDEN sauerkraut aids in digestion of cabbage and aids in digestion of food in general. The process of fermenting cabbage also produces isothiocyanates, a class of antioxidant-like compounds. Other research shows that cabbage and other cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, kale, collards, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts are the best source of nutrients called indoles. Sauerkraut that is not heat-packed is found in the refrigerated section of markets and does contain live bacteria, but it does not keep for long and must be consumed shortly after purchase. It is not uncommon that some refrigerated sauerkrauts are also heat treated or pasteurized, but do not indicate this on their packages.

http://www.edenfoods...ies_id=6#faq104

It seems like most sauerkraut you find in the store will be pasteurized. However, a local Asian foods store here sells kimchi that is still bubbling when sold.

Oh wow, that *really* blows. How disappointing. Guess I take back what I said about making your own sauerkraut. I may have to start doing that or buying my stuff elsewhere. I dunno where or what brand now. Trader Joe's might have some. Hrm. Well, aside from Sauerkraut, I've also been eating Yogurt every day and taking a "Renew Life" brand supplement every day, I imagine those were doing more for me than the Eden stuff in this case. Damn. What a waste of time and energy. I dunno why they package it that way. Don't they know people buy Sauerkraut for the freaking probiotics??? 

#35 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:33 PM

So I went out to Whole Foods today which is a few blocks away but a nice walk in the city and found a good brand of sauerkraut that's recommended based on this guide.  It's called Jacob's Raw Organic Kraut. It's not pasteurized and it's found in the refrigerator section by the dairy products. Its only ingredients are cabbage and salt.

IMG_3617.JPG

• like x 1

#36 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:37 AM

And it's actually really easy to make it yourself. You just need a jar, some cut up organic cabbage, a bit of salt, some black cumin seeds, some water, weigh it down, cover the jar with cotton, wait three or four days, and voila, your own delicious probiotic.
  • Agree x 1

#37 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:07 PM

propanolol, xanax, and a little adderall

or piracetam, phenibut, ash, bacopa, theanine, magnesium

#38 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 May 2016 - 06:43 PM

What you need is more GABA. The supplement Phenibut, mentioned above, stimulates GABA production but its drawbacks are dependency and lethargy. So avoid that if you can. See the chart below.

What I do in conjunction with probiotics is use a combination of L-theanine, Taurine, B6 and D3. It's especially helpful to take these before bed as it improves sleep quality considerably. D3 can be taken whenever but it helps with depression.

Hard drugs like Xanax work on GABA.

Propanolol is a beta blocker which block certain receptors for adrenaline. I have this for ET but you can also get it for stage fright and other scenarios. It's only good as needed on occasion due to unwanted side effects such as hair loss and negative effects on workouts at the gym.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-24%20at%202.35.1

Edited by Nate-2004, 24 May 2016 - 06:44 PM.

• Ill informed x 2

#39 EhrenM

• 5 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:24 PM

My patients have benefited from Theanine, Magnesium and Lemon Balm the most.  :)

• Good Point x 3
  • unsure x 1
  • Cheerful x 1
  • dislike x 1

#40 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:48 PM

Have they tried bacopa and/or ginkgo for 3 months? The epicatechin in green tea also has anxiolytic properties of its own, and caffeine even upregulates gaba receptors (so do magnolia annd ginkgo, SSRIs, and HIIT). For these reasons a good Japanese tea (around $13/100g) may be exceptionally anxiolytic.

Kava and magnolia are supposedly good too, but I never tried them.
  • Agree x 1

#41 birthdaysuit

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:15 AM

Have they tried bacopa and/or ginkgo for 3 months? The epicatechin in green tea also has anxiolytic properties of its own, and caffeine even upregulates gaba receptors (so do magnolia annd ginkgo, SSRIs, and HIIT). For these reasons a good Japanese tea (around $13/100g) may be exceptionally anxiolytic.

Kava and magnolia are supposedly good too, but I never tried them.

Kava and Magnolia worked great for me in the long-term. I've tried Ginkgo but it gave me terrible anxiety.

I think Lemon Balm is a very underrated herb for nervousness and anxiety.

#42 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:05 AM

It's one of the few natural substances reported to upregulate GABA.

Ginkgo acts as a GABA-A antagonist, ginseng as GABA-B antagonist. Short-term I would expect terrible anxiety, especially over 120-240mg. Try closer to 60mg, for at least a few months. The studies say it should work.

Racetams appear anxiolytic in many, but I suggest this is due to binding at the benzo site, which long-term is bad.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16878489
  • Informative x 1

#43 christianme

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:45 AM

I like D-limonene. With alcohol its a top tier party social lubricant 

• Needs references x 1

#44 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:22 AM

I like D-limonene. With alcohol its a top tier party social lubricant

Dose? Thanks!

#45 christianme

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:55 PM

Actually those 1000 mg by jarrow.  Ok maybe not by itself.  I took it with the uridine stack and noopept since those are part of my everyday stack.  my roommate gave me a bottle he never liked it.  It makes you burb orange-y.  

I would take it before parties, at least for me it knocks out all anxiety.  Its very strong.  I finished the entire bottle however strangely enough, I never reordered.  Its very strong, almost like a sedative. (for me)

#46 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 04:32 PM

you can buy d-limonene in glass bottles on Ebay, it makes a terrific window cleaner and nonpolar solvent.

#47 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:46 PM

I voted "magnesium" and Other" in regards to general anxiety lowering effect (I do not feel the need to take most of these things, most of the time, right before social interaction). Magnesium and glycine are one of the things that work on constant basis for me, albeit it is on the mild or mild-moderate side in my experience. I have been taking 8 grams glycine plus about 100% of RDA magnesium (glycine bound) for maybe a 1 month, and several more months of 100% RDA magneisum and 1-2 grams glycine. I take this at night, and I do think it helps me sleep in general. The effect of making me feel tired before bed is significant most days but it comes and goes, like with any other substance (including prescription medicne (zolpiedem/zoplikone, melatonin and regular benzodiazepines)). I am also convinced this glycine/magnesium helps with anxiety during the day, even though I only take it at night.

Things that seem to vary in their effect ( and/or sometimes not to my liking): magnolia extract, bacopa, theanine, L-glutamine, Lysine. (all of those did work to some extent) 

Theanine and L-glutamine seem to be a bit stimulating at times, and theanine as well as Lysine makes me feel less focused at times. Magnolia extract seems to have greatly diminishing effects upon taking it for a couple of days though I never bothered taking it for more than 1~ week at a time. Of these things I don't use anymore I'd pick bacopa. Selegeline and fasoracetam I mentioned earlier seem to work well at times, but I do get some side effects at times that make them less worth (dizziness from selegiline, stiff neck, lack of focus and headache from fasoracetam).

My "other" choice is Cerebrolysin. . It just makes me deal with stress a lot better and seem to have general cognitive improving abilities.

#48 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:53 PM

Actually those 1000 mg by jarrow. Ok maybe not by itself. I took it with the uridine stack and noopept since those are part of my everyday stack. my roommate gave me a bottle he never liked it. It makes you burb orange-y.
I would take it before parties, at least for me it knocks out all anxiety. Its very strong. I finished the entire bottle however strangely enough, I never reordered. Its very strong, almost like a sedative. (for me)

Thanks! I took it years ago- cured my GERD. Not sure I noticed any effect on anxiety. May try again.

#49 christianme

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:36 AM

I suppose it may be because when I took it I'd be drinking wine or whatever alcohol. (I love wine)

A lot of the stuff in there's absorbability (sp? lol) is rough.  

#50 fntms

• 318 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:28 PM

Actually those 1000 mg by jarrow. Ok maybe not by itself. I took it with the uridine stack and noopept since those are part of my everyday stack. my roommate gave me a bottle he never liked it. It makes you burb orange-y.
I would take it before parties, at least for me it knocks out all anxiety. Its very strong. I finished the entire bottle however strangely enough, I never reordered. Its very strong, almost like a sedative. (for me)

Thanks! I took it years ago- cured my GERD. Not sure I noticed any effect on anxiety. May try again.

I also found d-limonene very sedating, others have as well. It's been shown to 'normalize' dopamine, but I may be mistaken... perhaps it's serotonin...
And it did cure my GERD as well... great stuff.

#51 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:46 PM

I've gotta say the science is pretty consistent regarding gut bacteria and anxiety, social or otherwise. 

I've added more to my microbiota regimen however based on further evidence (see that post with links and search google on this, it's all over the place) around inflammaging and specific gut bacteria (Akkermansia and Christensenellaceae), these items may very likely improve the specific flora (Bifidobacterium) associated with improved mood and lower anxiety:

Probiotics:

-RenewLife supps (top brand on Labdoor)
-Yogurt
-Sauerkraut

Prebiotics:

-Glutamine
-N-A-G
-FOS
-Fish Oil

In addition to plenty of bananas, apples, oatmeal, other whole grain foods and fibrous fruits and vegetables.

Edited by Nate-2004, 23 June 2016 - 09:47 PM.

#52 stan08

• 175 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:07 PM

Best in terms of raw effectiveness? Phenibut hands down, second would be Kratom/Bacopa.

In terms of safety, long-term efficacy and consistency, theanine + magnesium is a much safer option, but it's not going to eliminate social anxiety to any significant degree.

Otherwise, in my experience Tianeptine sulfate is generally the best anxiolytic substance, but that's in doses upwards of 50mg. Though calling Tianeptine a supplement is just silly, then again half the substances on your list shouldn't really be considered a supplement, but a drug.

Here's a second for off label Tianeptine Sulfate, also in a 50-60 mg dose.  Works so well I think I prefer it to Clonazepam, especially when you compare the addictive potential of each.

Is that a single dose (morning) of tianeptine sulfate at 50 mg or two split doses (morning/afternoon) of 25 mg?

#53 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:16 AM

25 mg split dose.  Sometimes with an additional 12.5 mg dose before bed.

#54 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:19 AM

BTW  I have become a big believer in homemade kraut and have always been a big fan of Kimchi.  The one thing I would add is I've also recently started drinking kombucha tea and am such a fan I'm going to start making it at hope as well.

#55 stan08

• 175 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:17 AM

25 mg split dose. Sometimes with an additional 12.5 mg dose before bed.

Thank you.

#56 Lifemap

• 28 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 03:04 AM

I get my groceries delivered and eat the stuff I find on Amazon Fresh, Eden organic, they also now carry Bubbies and some awful can of the stuff.  Yes you can make your own too but it's probably not worth the time or effort anymore than making your own yogurt is. You'll not get anymore cultures out of it.

Give it a couple of months, it takes time to build up the cultures in your gut and more time for it to really begin making a home. Eat plenty of bananas and whole grains and other prebiotics to give it a food source. This is just part of the formula for dealing with social anxiety though, the rest is just getting out there... it's a skill that has to be practiced a whole lot and mistakes will be made, cool thing is, people are forgiving.  This stuff just makes it a lot easier to get out there I think.

Is there a reason you didn't add  a quality probiotic supplement?

I do believe our gut heath is directly linked to our brain health.  Ever noticed what happens to your stomache with bad anxiety or panic attack?.. Side note of some interest:  Mayo Clinic fecal transplants show just how powerful healthy gut flora/bacteria can be, and this is just the beginning of proving exactly what the specific mental and physical health benefits of having a healthy gut can be.

https://www.mayoclin...cacy-of-ser-109

BTW

(When I read Ruben I wanted to stop reading, and convince myself there before me was the answer to all my health concerns, hahah so delish!! yeah somehow I went from poop to food, logical transition right? Just backwards. 

Edited by Lifemap, 07 April 2018 - 03:16 AM.

#57 Reformed-Redan

• 2,200 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 08:31 PM

Nardil (Phenelzine) has to be the only thing that really helped me. 

Long shot getting a script for it though. Hard to get.

• dislike x 1

#58 Mr Serendipity

• 980 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 December 2019 - 11:08 PM

Sulbutiamine really works for me. I can talk to strangers and not feel awkward/anxiety at all.

• Informative x 1

#59 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 December 2019 - 06:11 AM

The problem with a lot of sedating substances is you don't really get anything done (and if you do it can be harder to learn anything from it). I used to self-medicate social anxiety with Benzodiazpeins, circa 2010-2011, and in hindsight I mostly watched TV-series and movies for that period. And this is despite me tending to feel rather "creative" and energized a lot of the time while taking benzodiazepines (whereas some people tend to feel more of the tiredness).

Currently taking very small doses of d-amphetamine on a script ( for adhd ), and previously tried methylphenidate, and also some minor experimentation on my own with selegiline. At low enough doses the prescription stimulants seem to help once in a social environment, easier to talk about stuff, but it doesn't seem to help that much with starting anything (social or otherwise). Selegiline similarly so, altho it seems way more impractical and unpredictable in effect to me.

Can't really recommend many "healthy" and simple to use supplements or substances for easing anxiety, except magnesium (and probably glycine) but that's kinda mild. Selank seems pretty effective, been using that now and then recently, it seems like a benign substance.

Edited by Keizo, 20 December 2019 - 06:16 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#60 Oakman

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:37 PM

What of Oxytocin - the love (cuddle) drug?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: supplement, anxiety, social anxiety, stacks, mental, panic, brain, meditation, social, best

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users