Creatine

mitochondria brain fog

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Blackkzeus

• 210 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:20 AM

Anybody else experience a significant increases in cognition from Creatine? It clears up some of my brain fog, I'm guessing due to increased mitochondrial function?

#2 Wingless

• 107 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:03 AM

The few first times I took it my cognition was enhanced to a degree that was beyond comparison to any other substance I've tried.

That was in large doses, however, of 15g or so. Now that I take it regularly at doses of about 2g, I honestly don't notice anything.

Recently I took a few weeks off taking it and once again I tried a high dose and noticed similar effects. It's astonishing how powerful the effects were, it was definitely not placebo.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Baten

• 785 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:17 AM

Yes, I too observe a subtle but very worthwhile boost against brain fog.

• like x 1

#4 Blackkzeus

• Topic Starter
  • 210 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:19 PM

I think Creatine supplementation can increase dht levels. DHT plays a vital role in brain function, so if you have low dht I think supplementing with Creatine would increase brain function by raising dht levels
  • like x 1

#5 Kabb

• 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:51 PM

I know this is a slightly old thread but I can add that I find creatine very useful.  

In fact, 5 gram doses which many people seem to use, is too much for me and I can feel over-stimulated from taking it.  Perhaps I have severely depleted levels of creatine and therefore need only a tiny bit to get an improvement.  

I have seen this happen several times, so it does not seem to be a chance observation.

• like x 1

#6 PalmAnita

• 97 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:57 AM

There has been a recent study about creatine being equally efficient in relieving depression as ketamine! I couldn't believe this at first, and still can't believe it somehow.

People eating vegetarian appear to have significantly lower levels of creatine. I've grown up with vegetarian diet and well.. don't exactly eat that well balanced probably. Too less overall, I'm not underweight but in the lower range of BMI- thankfully.

But really need to try creatine supplementing then. Would be so nice if this mitochondria boosting thing would actually work. OTC ketamine, yay (the NMDA antagonists are pure chemical magic for me. 25mg of ketamine will reliable push me from being anxiously or lethargically depressed into a positive, motivated state. MXE has been even better, this one made me actually nicely comfortably extroverted and totally chilled out ... the complete opposite of what I am unfortunately naturally.)

Edited by dopamimetiq, 30 December 2015 - 09:03 AM.

#7 birthdaysuit

• 299 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:17 PM

The few first times I took it my cognition was enhanced to a degree that was beyond comparison to any other substance I've tried.

That was in large doses, however, of 15g or so. Now that I take it regularly at doses of about 2g, I honestly don't notice anything.

Recently I took a few weeks off taking it and once again I tried a high dose and noticed similar effects. It's astonishing how powerful the effects were, it was definitely not placebo.

Agreed, it was like night and day when I took my first dose of 10g. I took 2g everyday for a couple of months before tapering off because every time I took it I experienced chest pains.

#8 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:32 AM

I've taken Creatine for years and also suffered from depression in the past.  I cannot believe that Creatine acts as effectively as Ketamine!  Then again, I've never taken Ketamine.

I do believe Creatine is a mild nootropic, if only for the fact it does boost energy levels and raises DHT slightly.

I don't think it comes close to even good old Piracetam though.

#9 PalmAnita

• 97 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:40 AM

Yeah, I can't believe it too. Because ketamine is just incredibly effective. But it's not the best - these long acting things like methoxetamine are true game changers for a certain subgroup of people- introverts with social anxiety, borderliners, and I do even know from first-hand reports that the NMDA antagonists do work for some people with autism too!

Edited by dopamimetiq, 31 December 2015 - 10:43 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 noot_in_the_sky

• 287 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:44 PM

Creatine help avoid brain fatigue which will explain why stops brain fog.  It protects against Parkinson &  Huntington.  

It seem creatine has an antidepressant effect in females rats but not for male rats.  However, the rats in this study where eating a lot more creatine. 

Male rats:

During the first week of supplementation, males fed +2% creatine consumed an average (±SEM) of 1.90±0.02 g/kg daily, and males fed +4% creatine consumed an average of 4.17±0.10 g/kg daily.

Female rats:

During the first week of supplementation, females fed+2% creatine consumed an average (±SEM) of 1.89±0.03g/kg daily, and females fed +4% creatine consumed an average of 3.77±0.08g/kg daily.

Sources in reverse order:

http://www.nature.co...pp2009160a.html

Chronic Creatine Supplementation Alters Depression-like Behavior in Rodents in a Sex-Dependent Manner

Impairments in bioenergetic function, cellular resiliency, and structural plasticity are associated with the pathogenesis of mood disorders. Preliminary evidence suggests that creatine, an ergogenic compound known to promote cell survival and influence the production and usage of energy in the brain, can improve mood in treatment-resistant patients. This study examined the effects of chronic creatine supplementation using the forced swim test (FST), an animal model selectively sensitive to antidepressants with clinical efficacy in human beings. Thirty male (experiment 1) and 36 female (experiment 2) Sprague–Dawley rats were maintained on either chow alone or chow blended with either 2% w/w creatine monohydrate or 4% w/w creatine monohydrate for 5 weeks before the FST. Open field exploration and wire suspension tests were used to rule out general psychostimulant effects. Male rats maintained on 4% creatine displayed increased immobility in the FST as compared with controls with no differences by diet in the open field test, whereas female rats maintained on 4% creatine displayed decreased immobility in the FST and less anxiety in the open field test compared with controls. Open field and wire suspension tests confirmed that creatine supplementation did not produce differences in physical ability or motor function. The present findings suggest that creatine supplementation alters depression-like behavior in the FST in a sex-dependent manner in rodents, with female rats displaying an antidepressant-like response. Although the mechanisms of action are unclear, sex differences in creatine metabolism and the hormonal milieu are likely involved.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19476553

Combination therapy with coenzyme Q10 and creatine produces additive neuroprotective effects in models of Parkinson's and Huntington's diseases.
Abstract

Coenzyme Q(10) (CoQ(10)) and creatine are promising agents for neuroprotection in neurodegenerative diseases via their effects on improving mitochondrial function and cellular bioenergetics and their properties as antioxidants. We examined whether a combination of CoQ(10) with creatine can exert additive neuroprotective effects in a MPTP mouse model of Parkinson's disease, a 3-NP rat model of Huntington's disease (HD) and the R6/2 transgenic mouse model of HD. The combination of the two agents produced additive neuroprotective effects against dopamine depletion in the striatum and loss of tyrosine hydroxylase neurons in the substantia nigra pars compacta (SNpc) following chronic subcutaneous administration of MPTP. The combination treatment resulted in significant reduction in lipid peroxidation and pathologic alpha-synuclein accumulation in the SNpc neurons of the MPTP-treated mice. We also observed additive neuroprotective effects in reducing striatal lesion volumes produced by chronic subcutaneous administration of 3-NP to rats. The combination treatment showed significant effects on blocking 3-NP-induced impairment of glutathione homeostasis and reducing lipid peroxidation and DNA oxidative damage in the striatum. Lastly, the combination of CoQ(10) and creatine produced additive neuroprotective effects on improving motor performance and extending survival in the transgenic R6/2 HD mice. These findings suggest that combination therapy using CoQ(10) and creatine may be useful in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson's disease and HD.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11985880

Effects of creatine on mental fatigue and cerebral hemoglobin oxygenation.
Abstract

While the role of creatine in preventing muscle (peripheral) fatigue for high performance athletes is well understood, its biochemical role in prevention of mental (central) fatigue is not. Creatine is abundant in muscles and the brain and after phosphorylation used as an energy source for adenosine triphosphate synthesis. Using double-blind placebo-controlled paradigm, we demonstrated that dietary supplement of creatine (8 g/day for 5 days) reduces mental fatigue when subjects repeatedly perform a simple mathematical calculation. After taking the creatine supplement, task-evoked increase of cerebral oxygenated hemoglobin in the brains of subjects measured by near infrared spectroscopy was significantly reduced, which is compatible with increased oxygen utilization in the brain.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mitochondria, brain fog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users