• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Has anyone tried taking Cannabidiol (not cannabis, not THC!) for an anxiolytic purposes?

cbd cannabidiol anxiolytic anxiety

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wingless

• 107 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:11 AM

I recently found this product which claims to be a Cannabidiol solution. Now for those of you who don't know much about cannabis,  THC is the cause for the "high" while CBD has much more medical value. It has antidepressive, anxiolytic, neuroprotective, effects, and reduces feelings of pain and discomfort, and apparently effects opioid receptors, which would explain why cannabis is so valuable for cancer patients.

https://www.bluebrai.../p/cannabidiol/

I'm a bit skeptical though as I had no idea this sort of product would even be legal, and I'm also surprised at the price.

If no one has tried a product like this, does anyone at least have experience in smoking strains of cannabis that have very low levels of THC and high levels of CBDs?

Edited by Wingless, 10 September 2015 - 02:14 AM.

#2 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:43 AM

harlequin/cannatonic: Good for anxiety, even in social situations, and insomnia, but it makes you kind of sleepy, certainly calm and relaxed.  Somewhat useful for OCD[1].

http://www.longecity...annabidiol-cbd/

"anxiolytic-like effects of CBD observed after systemic administration, probably by facilitating local 5-HT1A receptor-mediated neurotransmission."

"CBD (50 mg/kg) selectively reduced binding of 5-HT2A receptors in the substantia nigra in WT mice and increased binding of GABAA receptors in the retrosplenial granular cortex in mutant mice"

"Nrg1 modulates acute and long-term neurobehavioural effects of CBD"

Neuregulin Induces GABAA Receptor Subunit Expression and Neurite Outgrowth in Cerebellar Granule Cells

Edited by gamesguru, 10 September 2015 - 02:48 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 pleiotropic

• 74 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:02 AM

harlequin/cannatonic: Good for anxiety, even in social situations, and insomnia, but it makes you kind of sleepy, certainly calm and relaxed.  Somewhat useful for OCD[1].

http://www.longecity...annabidiol-cbd/

"anxiolytic-like effects of CBD observed after systemic administration, probably by facilitating local 5-HT1A receptor-mediated neurotransmission."

"CBD (50 mg/kg) selectively reduced binding of 5-HT2A receptors in the substantia nigra in WT mice and increased binding of GABAA receptors in the retrosplenial granular cortex in mutant mice"

"Nrg1 modulates acute and long-term neurobehavioural effects of CBD"

Neuregulin Induces GABAA Receptor Subunit Expression and Neurite Outgrowth in Cerebellar Granule Cells

how do you achieve a 50mg/kg dose without going bankrupt?  It would be hundreds of dollars?

#4 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:01 PM

don't forget 12 times less surface area on the mouse, so closer to 4 mg/kg, or 320mg for an 80kg male

the harlequin was 12% (i think?) and $280/oz, so $83/g, or $27 per 320mg  or per day.  definitely pricey (could probably skate by with 200mg)

#5 somuchforthat22

• 24 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 12:01 PM

i got cannatonic from a dispensary a few weeks ago. it was supposedly like 17/1 cbd.  to be honest, i think it increased anxiety if anything.  i have tried some cbd strains in the past like acdc, and yummy which i felt may have helped with anxiety a bit.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 01:17 PM

i got cannatonic from a dispensary a few weeks ago. it was supposedly like 17/1 cbd.  to be honest, i think it increased anxiety if anything.  i have tried some cbd strains in the past like acdc, and yummy which i felt may have helped with anxiety a bit.

Possibly attributable to concurrent THC withdrawal?  Or maybe a transient effect of 5-HT1A activation?  Was this an acute effect, or something you noticed after several days?  May have found a nail in a coffin to the CBD-SAD myth:

Anxiogenic-like effects of chronic cannabidiol administration in rats.
Several pre-clinical and human-based studies have shown that acutely administered cannabidiol (CBD) can produce anxiolytic-like effects
The present study investigated the effects of chronic administration of CBD on rat behaviour and on the expression of brain proteins.
Male Lister-hooded rats (150-200 g, n = 8 per group) received daily injections of CBD (10 mg/kg, i.p.) for 14 days. The rats were subjected to two behavioural tests: locomotor activity and conditioned emotional response (CER). The expression of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), its receptor tyrosine kinase B (Trk B), extracellular signal-regulated kinases (ERK1/2) and phospho-ERK1/2 and the transcription factor cyclic AMP response element binding protein activation (CREB) and phospho-CREB were determined in brain regions such as the frontal cortex and hippocampus using Western immunoblotting.
CBD significantly increased the time spent freezing in the CER test with no effect on locomotor activity. CBD significantly reduced BDNF expression in the hippocampus and frontal cortex with no change in the striatum. In addition, CBD significantly reduced TrkB expression in the hippocampus with a strong trend towards reduction in the striatum but had no effect in the frontal cortex. In the hippocampus, CBD had no effect on ERK1/2 or phospho-ERK2, but in the frontal cortex, CBD significantly reduced phospho-ERK1/2 expression without affecting total ERK.
Chronic administration of CBD produced an anxiogenic-like effect in clear opposition to the acute anxiolytic profile previously reported. In addition, CBD decreased the expression of proteins that have been shown to be enhanced by chronic treatment with antidepressant/anxiolytic drugs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cbd, cannabidiol, anxiolytic, anxiety

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users