• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Is Fish Oil safe to use long-term for combating depression?

depression dha epa fish oil

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wingless

• 107 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:51 AM

I had a severe depressive episode last week. One of the worst I've experienced in a long time. I hadn't taken fish oil in weeks or eaten any fish, so I decided to try some fish oil again.

I took 5 grams of fish oil (fairly high in EPA/DHA) since Friday evening and it has helped me quite a lot.

I've looked into side effects and apparently high-doses over a long period of time are not without drawbacks. In particular I noticed it can cause heart problems and increase your risk of cardiac death.

I looked into this because I was noticing peculiar chest discomfort, though nothing serious. I'm fairly healthy though I do have heart palpitations and such from time to time.

Has anyone taken high dose fish oil for a long period? I am concerned of health hazards.

Edited by Wingless, 14 September 2015 - 01:00 AM.

#2 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:51 PM

Fish Oil has some benefits but most is geared to circulation and brain health..any effect on depression is marginal until it is stacked with Vitamin D and such.

Taking Aspirin may reduce it's benefits as it knocks out the prostaglandins that fish oil aims to help produce.. Aspirin helps to block both good & bad prostaglandins whereas fish oil creates a tendency towards producing good ones (in other words a shift from E1<E2/G3 etc).

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/8577782

Edited by Area-1255, 14 September 2015 - 07:55 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:08 PM

Not a fan of gelatin, but w/e.  Wouldn't worry much about environmental pollutants at that dose

Safe, yes.  Expensive, perhaps.  Effective?  Not as much.

Interesting results, but keep in mind the two diets were 15% flaxseed, and 15% flax oil!!!  Good luck attaining that in your practice!

Renal alpha-linolenic acid was increased by both the flax diets (flax oil > flaxseed), but eicosapentaenoic acid increased in the flax oil group only. The flaxseed group had greater renal-arachidonic acid levels than the flax oil and RLD groups. The total omega-3 fatty acids increased twofold to threefold in the flax oil group compared with the two other groups. The total saturated fatty acids were lower and the polyunsaturated fatty acids were increased in both flax diet groups. A progressive increase in urinary thromboxane B2 occurred in the RLD group but not in the flaxseed group; the level decreased in the flax oil group. The ratio of prostaglandin F1 alpha/thromboxane B2 was preserved in the flax oil group only. In conclusion, the dietary flax seed and flax oil attenuated the decline in renal function and reduced glomerular injury with favorable effects on blood pressure, plasma lipids, and urinary prostaglandins.

Anti-depressive effect of polyphenols and omega-3 fatty acid from pomegranate peel and flax seed in mice exposed to chronic mild stress

Supplementation with flax oil and vitamin C improves the outcome of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)

There is evidence that prostaglandin E1, derived from dietary essential fatty acids, is able to attenuate the biologic actions of prolactin and that in the absence of prostaglandin E1 prolactin has exaggerated effects. Attempts were made, therefore, to treat women who had the premenstrual syndrome with gamma-linolenic acid, an essential fatty acid precursor of prostaglandin E1... Nutrients known to increase the conversion of essential fatty acids to prostaglandin E1 include magnesium, pyridoxine, zinc, niacin and ascorbic acid. The clinical success obtained with some of these nutrients may in part relate to their effects on essential fatty acid metabolism.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: depression, dha, epa, fish oil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users