3 replies to this topic

#1 alc

• Validating/Suspended
  • 208 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:38 PM

DARPA is moving ahead with their ElectRx project:

http://www.darpa.mil...ents/2015-10-05

and we know who DARPA is and what they did in the past.

Personally, I think they will push the limits in this area and develop great tools.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:39 AM

That's pretty cool.  Interesting that they said: "The peripheral nervous system is the body’s information superhighway...", echoing the Internet project.  GlaxoSmithKline has recently made a big push in bioelectronics, not unlike ElectRx.   I hope DARPA's efforts pan out here, but I have to say that biology is infinitely more complicated than a distributed package-switching network. 

• Cheerful x 1

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 alc

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 208 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 October 2015 - 03:05 PM

but I have to say that biology is infinitely more complicated than a distributed package-switching network. 

... human nature is to believe that what that person is doing is the "most complicated, most important and most of the most" than anything else that others are doing ... I'm not saying biology is simple and to solve issues inside of it is a walk in the park, but ever wondered why in couple fields we are literally years ahead while in others like (insert the name here) we are just (now) catching up?

Truth is that we definitely need more teams like DARPA involved in this anti/reverse aging effort. We need teams to look at things from different perspectives and understand them at a higher level. We need to look at connections between things using different type of logic to lead to an accelerated development in this field.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:44 PM

but I have to say that biology is infinitely more complicated than a distributed package-switching network. 

... human nature is to believe that what that person is doing is the "most complicated, most important and most of the most" than anything else that others are doing ... I'm not saying biology is simple and to solve issues inside of it is a walk in the park, but ever wondered why in couple fields we are literally years ahead while in others like (insert the name here) we are just (now) catching up?

My career has been a mix of computing, chemistry, and biology.  Since I've done all three, I don't think it's a trivial bias when I say that biology is more complex than the internet by multiple orders of magnitude.  If you want to argue that the way we fund science and the development of cures for all that ails us (like aging), is broken and isn't getting us where we'd like to be as quickly as we'd like to get there, I would agree.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: darpa, electrx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users