• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * - 16 votes

Nicotinamide Riboside [Curated]

nicotinamide riboside nicotinamide nad boosting charles brenner david sinclair leonard guarente niagen niacinamide nicotinamide mononucleotide

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2255 replies to this topic

#1621 Thell

• 61 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:12 AM

Pathway linked to slower aging also fuels brain cancer

http://medicalxpress...ging-fuels.html

We don't know what this study will reveal since it doesn't seem to be listed anywhere on pnas.org even though the 'press statement' states it was published Dec. 5 in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. The primary author's lab publications list indicates it will be named 'NAMPT controls tumor growth and therapy responsiveness in glioblastoma'.

This study now shows up in the early edition listing... http://www.pnas.org/...921114.abstract

Unfortunately I don't have access to get behind his paywall. If anyone does and can post a link or summary...

#1622 hawk

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:06 AM

Interesting old study resurrected by Sandy Shaw connecting the degree of loss of NAD+ and NADH to irreversible cardio damage after infarct, from http://www.life-enha...d-nad-nad-world (Dec 2016).

"Under the conditions of their study, the researchers found a loss of total NAD+ of about 60-70% when they diagnosed irreversible cell injury by electron microscopy. Total NAD, the sum of NAD+ and NADH, “started to decrease significantly in the ischemic subendocardium 1 hour after onset of ischemia” and “... started ... to become significant after two hours of ischemia.” The researchers summed up their results: “We conclude from our data that the loss of the nicotinamide coenzymes is crucial for the irreversibly ischemic injury.” They note that in rat hearts a loss of 60% of NAD could theoretically mean that either the mitochondria or the cytoplasm is totally without NAD, with the result being a severe decrease in the ability to produce ATP."

"Reference
Klein et al. Loss of canine myocardial nicotinamide adenine dinucleotides determines the transition from reversible to irreversible ischemic damage of myocardial cells. Basic Res Cardiol. 76:612-21 (1981)."

Edited by hawk, 11 December 2016 - 05:20 AM.

• Needs references x 1
  • Informative x 1

#1623 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 December 2016 - 07:07 AM

Pathway linked to slower aging also fuels brain cancer

http://medicalxpress...ging-fuels.html

We don't know what this study will reveal since it doesn't seem to be listed anywhere on pnas.org even though the 'press statement' states it was published Dec. 5 in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. The primary author's lab publications list indicates it will be named 'NAMPT controls tumor growth and therapy responsiveness in glioblastoma'.

This study now shows up in the early edition listing... http://www.pnas.org/...921114.abstract

Unfortunately I don't have access to get behind his paywall. If anyone does and can post a link or summary...

file:///C:/Users/Eigenaar/Downloads/10.1073@pnas.1610921114.pdf

#1624 Iporuru

• 216 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:52 AM

Replicatively senescent human fibroblasts reveal a distinct intracellular metabolic profile with alterations in NAD+ and nicotinamide metabolism

http://www.nature.co...icles/srep38489

• Informative x 3

#1625 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:42 PM

Replicatively senescent human fibroblasts reveal a distinct intracellular metabolic profile with alterations in NAD+ and nicotinamide metabolism

http://www.nature.co...icles/srep38489

The researchers have found that this type of senescent cells 'clings to life' by hoarding NMN and NR and antioxidants. So, I conclude, when trying to clean out senescent cells by means of fasting and senolytics, we should stop taking NADprecursors and antioxidants a few days in advance. Am I right?

#1626 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:49 PM

this thread is 56 pages now, so it's hard finding basic information

Two questions

Has anybody discussed the absolutely least expensive per milligram Nicotinamide Riboside supplement on the market?

What is the minimum amount in milligrams I should take per day to get actual benefits from?

even if you just tell me what page on this thread to look at I would be appreciative, thank you

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#1627 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:13 PM

Two questions

Has anybody discussed the absolutely least expensive per milligram Nicotinamide Riboside supplement on the market?

What is the minimum amount in milligrams I should take per day to get actual benefits from?

even if you just tell me what page on this thread to look at I would be appreciative, thank you

Hi Phoebus,  Just assuming you live in the US or close to it I would advise you to partake in the group buys here on Longecity.

http://www.longecity...oup-buy/page-24

Your second question: there is no certainty about dosage, but it might seem that 200 to 300 mgs/day will considerably raise NAD+.  Whether it's a good a idea to raise your NAD+ permanently is in debate. I take 300mgs daily, but please take the time to read the personal experiences thread for some people suspect NR of causing/exacerbating their tendonitis:

http://www.longecity...erience-thread/

Edited by harkijn, 13 December 2016 - 05:14 PM.

• Agree x 1

#1628 Thell

• 61 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:16 PM

Two questions

You won't find pricing details in this thread; though Brian just posted a bunch of posts in the vendor/vetting thread with price/gram for quite a few sources.

Min amount for benefits? I'd try the personal experiences thread as the results are so individual (weight, age, health condition) with, what seems to be, thee majorly dependent thing being what your current nad pool condition is.

• Good Point x 1

#1629 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:23 PM

The ChromaDex study of 12 people reported that  just 100mg of NR increased NAD+ in blood by 30% (I think for one day) whereas 300mg increased it on average 50%. Vendors seem to sell NR around the same price, except for the group by above which is around 20% to 25% cheaper.

#1630 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:38 PM

Come one come all, refreshments will be served ;)

Fall 2016 Seminar Series

Posted on December 12, 2016 by jmolaski

Nicotinamide riboside: From Discovery to Human Translation

seminar22-200x300.jpg

Dr. Charles Brenner
Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa

Thursday, December 15, 2016
11:00 – Noon
290 Nutritional Sciences

Refreshments will be served.

Sponsored by the Molecular and Applied Nutrition Training Program (MANTP) with funds from the Dept. of Nutritional Sciences; the Dept. of Biochemistry; the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences; the School of Medicine and Public Health; the Dept of Surgery; and the Cellular and Molecular Biology Program.

Department of Nutritional Sciences
Interdepartmental Graduate Program in Nutritional Sciences
http://www.nutrisci.wisc.edu

Edited by Bryan_S, 13 December 2016 - 05:39 PM.

• like x 2
  • Cheerful x 1

#1631 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:06 PM

Two questions

You won't find pricing details in this thread; though Brian just posted a bunch of posts in the vendor/vetting thread with price/gram for quite a few sources.

Min amount for benefits? I'd try the personal experiences thread as the results are so individual (weight, age, health condition) with, what seems to be, thee majorly dependent thing being what your current nad pool condition is.

great, thank you very much!

#1632 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:11 PM

How they do not webcast these events is beyond me.

Dept. of Nutritional Sciences @ Wisconsin-Madison has an online graduate degree in clinical nutrition.  They like to announce these special seminar speakers on their website (like Brenner/NR), but they can't somehow put these speakers online for the public.

However, they can offer an entire graduate degree program online somehow.  You would think these speakers would be a draw to get people interested in their university, interested in their online program, instead they speakers are not even available.  This is a public sector operation for you.  No concept of how to run a business.  Anywhere else the managers would be reamed over something like this.

Edited by prophets, 13 December 2016 - 07:25 PM.

• Agree x 2
  • Good Point x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#1633 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:24 PM

There are two days before the talk. Maybe Bryan or someone could email him and ask his presentation be put up on youtube.

Edited by bluemoon, 13 December 2016 - 06:35 PM.

#1634 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:58 PM

I put in a request for you all and we'll see if they can stream the presentation.   ;)

Edit: I spoke with the Chair of the Department of Nutritional Sciences University of Wisconsin-Madison and he said they would put up a link for a few days after the event. No live stream but it appears we can see the event after the fact. I'll post more when I'm given the link.

Edited by Bryan_S, 14 December 2016 - 05:21 PM.
update

• like x 5
  • Informative x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#1635 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:30 AM

Actually, I'll be in Madison Thursday and can probably go listen. My guess is that there won't be much new from what is already on youtube, but I'll try to take notes of what I can understand and post any highlights in the afternoon.

I just reread the above. I thought it would take a few days to put up the link. Never mind about the notes...

Edited by bluemoon, 14 December 2016 - 12:31 AM.

#1636 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:53 PM

I put in a request for you all and we'll see if they can stream the presentation.   ;)

Edit: I spoke with the Chair or the Department of Nutritional Sciences University of Wisconsin-Madison and he said they would put up a link for a few days after the event. No live stream but it appears we can see the event after the fact. I'll post more when I'm given the link.

Has Dr. Brenner ever addressed the concerns about cancer promotion?

I would be great if he were to speak about that study on NAD+ and glioblastoma.

A friend who has been following NAAD and NR that he started a couple of weeks ago is probably going to hear him as well. One of us can ask Brenner about this during the Q & A if there is one or after his talk.

• Agree x 3

#1637 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:55 PM

Edit: I spoke with the Chair or the Department of Nutritional Sciences University of Wisconsin-Madison and he said they would put up a link for a few days after the event. No live stream but it appears we can see the event after the fact. I'll post more when I'm given the link.

Has Dr. Brenner ever addressed the concerns about cancer promotion?

I would be great if he were to speak about that study on NAD+ and glioblastoma.

A friend who has been following NAAD and NR that he started a couple of weeks ago is probably going to hear him as well. One of us can ask Brenner about this during the Q & A if there is one or after his talk.

Excellent.  Let us know what he says.

#1638 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:09 PM

Dr. Brenner covered a lot of ground in the interview with Bryan_S so maybe not much new but since my friend (who knows more about NAD+ and NR than I do) is also going, we could ask a couple of questions. Does anyone have one or two more? If more than one,we can try to ask him at the reception.

#1639 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:29 PM

Dr. Brenner covered a lot of ground in the interview with Bryan_S so maybe not much new but since my friend (who knows more about NAD+ and NR than I do) is also going, we could ask a couple of questions. Does anyone have one or two more? If more than one,we can try to ask him at the reception.

Yesterday Ipororu (in post # 1657) pointed to a study suggesting that senescent cells use NMN and NR as protection against cell death and  can thereby prolong their pro-aging activities. It would be interesting to hear dr. Brenner's views: is NADboosting always positive or at certain times or for certain cells also deleterious?

• Good Point x 2
  • Informative x 1

#1640 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:34 PM

Yesterday Ipororu (in post # 1657) pointed to a study suggesting that senescent cells use NMN and NR as protection against cell death and  can thereby prolong their pro-aging activities. It would be interesting to hear dr. Brenner's views: is NADboosting always positive or at certain times or for certain cells also deleterious?

Yes, that's another good topic.  I would suggest that part of this question would be his stance on taking periodic "NR Holidays", and if he favors them how long they should be.  That's a topic about which there as been a lot of back and forth in the absence of any really solid data or argument.

• Good Point x 3

#1641 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:11 PM

Long-Term Administration of Nicotinamide Mononucleotide Mitigates Age-Associated Physiological Decline in Mice Highlights

• NMN suppresses age-associated body weight gain and enhances energy metabolism
  • NMN improves insulin sensitivity, eye function, and other features with no toxicity
  • NMN prevents age-associated gene expression changes in a tissue-specific manner
  • NMN is an effective anti-aging intervention that could be translated to humans

Summary

NAD+ availability decreases with age and in certain disease conditions. Nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN), a key NAD+ intermediate, has been shown to enhance NAD+biosynthesis and ameliorate various pathologies in mouse disease models. In this study, we conducted a 12-month-long NMN administration to regular chow-fed wild-type C57BL/6N mice during their normal aging. Orally administered NMN was quickly utilized to synthesize NAD+ in tissues. Remarkably, NMN effectively mitigates age-associated physiological decline in mice. Without any obvious toxicity or deleterious effects, NMN suppressed age-associated body weight gain, enhanced energy metabolism, promoted physical activity, improved insulin sensitivity and plasma lipid profile, and ameliorated eye function and other pathophysiologies. Consistent with these phenotypes, NMN prevented age-associated gene expression changes in key metabolic organs and enhanced mitochondrial oxidative metabolism and mitonuclear protein imbalance in skeletal muscle. These effects of NMN highlight the preventive and therapeutic potential of NAD+ intermediates as effective anti-aging interventions in humans.

fx1.jpg

• Needs references x 3
  • Informative x 1

#1642 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:04 AM

Long-Term Administration of Nicotinamide Mononucleotide Mitigates Age-Associated Physiological Decline in Mice Highlights

• NMN suppresses age-associated body weight gain and enhances energy metabolism
  • NMN improves insulin sensitivity, eye function, and other features with no toxicity
  • NMN prevents age-associated gene expression changes in a tissue-specific manner
  • NMN is an effective anti-aging intervention that could be translated to humans

Summary

NAD+ availability decreases with age and in certain disease conditions. Nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN), a key NAD+ intermediate, has been shown to enhance NAD+biosynthesis and ameliorate various pathologies in mouse disease models. In this study, we conducted a 12-month-long NMN administration to regular chow-fed wild-type C57BL/6N mice during their normal aging. Orally administered NMN was quickly utilized to synthesize NAD+ in tissues. Remarkably, NMN effectively mitigates age-associated physiological decline in mice. Without any obvious toxicity or deleterious effects, NMN suppressed age-associated body weight gain, enhanced energy metabolism, promoted physical activity, improved insulin sensitivity and plasma lipid profile, and ameliorated eye function and other pathophysiologies. Consistent with these phenotypes, NMN prevented age-associated gene expression changes in key metabolic organs and enhanced mitochondrial oxidative metabolism and mitonuclear protein imbalance in skeletal muscle. These effects of NMN highlight the preventive and therapeutic potential of NAD+ intermediates as effective anti-aging interventions in humans.

fx1.jpg

http://www.cell.com/...4131(16)30495-8

• Informative x 2
  • like x 1

#1643 Richard McGee

• 85 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:44 PM

Yes, that's another good topic.  I would suggest that part of this question would be his stance on taking periodic "NR Holidays", and if he favors them how long they should be.  That's a topic about which there as been a lot of back and forth in the absence of any really solid data or argument.

More generally, is it advisable to take autophagic compounds and mitochondrial growth stimulators at the same time?

• Good Point x 1

#1644 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:18 PM

I thought Dr. Brenner gave a very good talk. I assume it will be put up soon and want to watch the second half again as he covers quite a bit. During the first half I grinned thinking "this is why I didn't go into biochemistry..." although wish I knew more basics. 

Anyway...

1) Brenner told his story about how he was the subject of a small n=1 study that he wrote where he analyzed the effects of him taking 1 g of NR for a week. During the Q&A I asked if he still takes a gram, and he said no, 250mg. I didn't ask about taking a break from NR because I assumed he would mention that if he was taking breaks and also mentioned that we will know more after Chromadex's and Elysium's separate results are released.

2) I did ask toward the end about any concerns he might have with respect to increased levels of NAD+ accelerating brain tumor growth. He replied that there was the one study out of the U of Washington that showed that but that there are other studies that show increased NAD+ may inhibit tumor growth and that he wasn't sure at this point.

3) In the first part of the talk Brenner pretty much stated that resveratol wasn't effective and that it wasn't very bioavailable. Toward the end he mentioned the Elysium study and how it includes pterostilbine, "an analog to resveratrol" but was skeptical that it did anything.

4) He also pointed out that the study included only healthy adults (60 to 80) who had a BMI below 30, some [something] might show up or might not in those results. I was sitting in the back and missed the word he used.

5) He thinks it will be shown that NR will make more difference for those who are out of shape than those who are very fit.

6) He said glucose levels and weight were better maintained in mice who took NR than the control group. Overall cholestrol was reduced but Brenner said the mouse model doesn't translate well to humans if I heard that correctly.

7) Brenner said more about heart failure in mice and that NR seemed to help prevent the onset as well as improve heart failure once it occurred. He said EF (ejection fraction) improved but not by how much. He added that he wasn't an expert in cardiology but that several indicators improved.

8) Brenner mentioned that he has heard of people saying they have more energy taking 250 mg of NR, but he hasnt experienced that. However, he said that he used to have gastric problems when eating certain food but that went away after he began taking NR and wasn't sure why.

Edited by bluemoon, 15 December 2016 - 07:44 PM.

• Informative x 11
  • like x 3

#1645 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:35 PM

Excellent report.  Thanks.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1646 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:00 AM

This cell study by Mills/Imai suggests 8 mg/kg of nmn for human dose. What's the conversion of nmn to equivalent NR?

#1647 hoonto8

• 17 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:36 PM

This cell study by Mills/Imai suggests 8 mg/kg of nmn for human dose. What's the conversion of nmn to equivalent NR?

255.25 g/mol for nicotinamide riboside, 334.22 g/mol for nicotinamide mononucleotide (haven't verified, just pulled off of wikipedia). If those numbers are correct then 8mg/kg of NMN would be ~6.11mg/kg of NR.

Edited by hoonto, 19 December 2016 - 05:43 PM.

• Informative x 3
  • like x 1

#1648 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:33 PM

Thx.  IDK why I didn't just wikipedia it.  The only difference is a phosphate group (PO3).  Appreciate it.

• Cheerful x 1

#1649 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:45 PM

Potential treatment for pregnant women who suffer from preeclampsia found in a vitamin

Vitamin B3 nicotinamide may help treat pregnant women who suffer from preeclampsia by preventing strokes and in some cases, even stimulating the growth of their fetus, research indicates.

Up to 8% of pregnant women suffer from preeclampsia, a deadly disease characterized by high blood pressure, blood vessel damage, high levels of protein in the urine and fluid retention that causes swelling in the legs and feet. In some cases, preeclampsia is also believed to restrict a fetus' growth.

Blood pressure-lowering drugs do not improve blood vessel damage. In fact, they reduce blood supply to the babies, which could lead to fetal death.

Until now, the only treatment for preeclampsia-affected pregnant women has been delivery of the baby. Now, researchers at Tohoku University, in collaboration with US scientists, have found that nicotinamide -- also referred to as Vitamin B3 -- relieves preeclampsia in mouse models. Moreover, they have also discovered that nicotinamide can even improve fetal growth in mothers with preeclampsia.

"We had previously shown that endothelin, a strong vessel narrowing hormone, worsens preeclampsia. But inhibiting the hormone is harmful to the babies," says Associate Professor Nobuyuki Takahashi of Tohoku University's Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, who co-led the study.

"In contrast, nicotinamide is generally safe to mothers and babies, corrects the blood vessel narrowing effect of endothelin, and reduces stress to the babies. Accordingly, we evaluated the effects of nicotinamide using two mouse models of preeclampsia caused by different mechanisms."

The researchers concluded that nicotinamide is the first safe drug that lowers blood pressure, reduces urine protein and alleviates blood vessel damage in preeclampsia-affected mice. The researchers went on to show that in many cases, nicotinamide also prevents miscarriage, prolongs pregnancy period and improves the growth of the babies in mice with preeclampsia.

https://www.scienced...61219100556.htm

• like x 1

#1650 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:58 PM

Hi Velopismo, this is interesting  research and the thing we are hoping for, but it is not about NR. It's about nicotinamde which is a different thing.

• Good Point x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide riboside, nicotinamide, nad boosting, charles brenner, david sinclair, leonard guarente, niagen, niacinamide, nicotinamide mononucleotide

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)

Topic Led By