Fat-Nutrition Balance

fat omega 3 olive oil evoo coconut oil chocolate nuts nutrition

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LaViidaLocaa

• 96 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:32 PM

Hi everybody, long time no see/hear!

I have mainly been latently reading the last couple of months due to being extremely busy, but I was wondering the following (even though I could not find anything similar):

I was thinking of incorporating pretty much most healthy fats in effective doses on a daily basis, leading to the following list:

-30g nuts: eg. Cashews - 166 kcal - 13g fats

-1 tbsp EV Coconut Oil: 1 tbsp - 118 kcal - 14g

-2+ tbsp EV Olive Oil: eg. 2 tbsp - 239 kcal - 27g 

-1 avocado: about 100g - 160 kcal - 15g

-40 grams non-alkalized, pure (85%+) chocolate: 250 kcal - 20g

-1 serving (4 oz.) fatty fish: eg. Salmon - 200-230 kcal - 10-14g
(Any very nutritional fat sources I'm forgetting?)

=> Leading to a total of around 1140-1170 kcal with 98-102g of fat (without trace amounts of fat in other foods), of which roughly 46g MUFA, 33g SFA, 12g PUFA (4g O-3, 8g O-6)

This would be part of my daily diet of 2600-3000 kcal. Not sure if I will be incorporating fatty fish literally every day, but supplementing with low dose fish oil as well.
FYI: I'm not after CR, but slowly adding muscle size (slight caloric surplus).

Anyway, point being: should I shift the balance/serving sizes of individual food types (if so, why?), or increase fish oil supplementation to shift the ratio O3:O6 more to 1:1 instead of 1:2?

#2 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:48 AM

Why would you want to consume the same exact amount of those fatty foods every day, when there is so much healthy variety to enjoy?

I get a quite similar balance of fat in my diet (albeit lower in the saturated and somewhat higher in the unsaturated fatty acids, I guess), without following such a strict plan, simply by choosing healthy, unprocessed foods and fats and keeping an eye on the ratios involved (saturated/unsaturated, omega-6/omega-3).

(Any very nutritional fat sources I'm forgetting?)

Well, of course, or do you sugggest that there are only 6 nutritional sources of fat? ;)

Nuts are of course an extremely nutritional food, but I think there are even healthier options than cashews. In the PREDIMED trial, disease risk was significantly reduced for the group that received almonds and walnuts, the two types of nuts that have by far the most scientific research to back up their health benefits. This is not to say that cashews do not provide health benefits - if you like them by all means include them in your diet - but most of the health benefits are thought to mediated by the polyphenols in the nuts, and those polyphenols are concentrated in the husk. Cashews come without husk and their polyphenol content is low, compared to other nuts that come with husks.

I'm still not that enthusiatic about coconut oil. It contains a lot of myristic acid, which clearly has an unfavorable effect on cholesterol. Currently, there is a lot of hype but little solid science to suggest it has a net beneficial effect (in living humans, not in the test tub) when consumed regularly. Yet I'm the first to admit that coconut oil and milk make some delicious dishes. I see no reason to avoid it, but would caution yet to consume it in large amounts for its purported health benefits.

On the other hand, I think that a moderate amount (say 30g/day) of high-quality artisanal cheese, particularly if made from pastured milk, should not be dismissed as a healthy addition to the diet. Milk fat seems to excert antidiabetic effects (quite paradoxically, given its high content of long-chain saturated fatty acids) and the particular minor fatty acids thought to be at least in part responsible for the observed health benefits are significantly more abundant in pastured dairy. Moreover, aged cheese usually contains high levels of polyamines such as spermidine and long-chain menachinones (vitamin K2), both likely to have beneficial effects.

What is missing from your list are seeds. Particularly flaxseed, but also pumpkin, sunflower, chia, sesame and black cumin seeds. When Andrew Weil was once asked which single dietary change he would suggest anyone to make, he said it would be to include flaxseed in the diet. I agree with him. Flaxseed are a nutritional miracle: not only do they provide twice as much omega-3 alpha-linoleic acid as omega-6 linolic acid, but also abundant amounts of prebiotic soluble fiber and lignans, a particular class of polyphenols which are metabolized by your gut bacteria to so-called enterolignans, excerting powerful physiological effects. High levels of circulating enterolignans have been associated with significantly reduced all-cause mortality - more so than any other class of polyphenols except stilbenes. Flax and sesame seeds are by far the most abundant dietary sources of them. Pumpkin seeds are noteworthy for containing antiandrogen agents, which may prevent baldening and protect the prostate.

I also take a low-dose (600 mg EPA+DHA) fish oil supplement in addition to eating fatty fish about twice per weak.

Edited by timar, 22 October 2015 - 10:54 AM.

• Informative x 5
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 LaViidaLocaa

• Topic Starter
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for the response! The list is still hypothetical, as my diet now consists of other foods (more dark chocolate, also some quest bars that carry some fat along), but am trying to find an 'optimal' (as far as possible, of course) 'fat list'.

To be honest, I never stood still by where the benefits of nuts come from and cashews are my favorite, but will incorporate some more almonds and walnuts as well then, good to know. Also, flaxseed will be used more often then, up til it mainly just stood in my kitchen cabinet, shame on me!

As regards to dairy: I consume a lot of dairy daily, albeit all low fat (which is what I meant with trace amounts of fats): goat's milk, Icelandic yoghurt, yoghurt, kefir. I don't really like the taste of cheese though, ha, maybe should learn to appreciate it, I guess?  ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fat, omega 3, olive oil, evoo, coconut oil, chocolate, nuts, nutrition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users