* * * * * 1 votes

Montelukast as a nootropic

montelukast asthma medication new nootropic

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#31 LongLife

• 145 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:58 AM

One thing that leaves me a bit skeptical, is that Montelukast isn't some obscure drug, it's one of the most used and most popular treatments for one of the most widespread diseases ( asthma ). By now we should have been flooded by thousands and thousands of reports about  people witnessing significant ( and positive) cognitive changes . And yet this is the first time I , and many others , ever heard of such thing by way of this recent study on rats...

BLUECLOUD: Last year I contrived a strong cold due to strange weather events and being in a new location; doctor said I had asthma and underwent 45 minutes of inhalation therapy, blaw, blaw, blaw...all the time thinking about the diagnosis. I became somewhat irritated the more I thought about it. Anyways, I researched asthma a great deal (PUBMED). I do not have asthma, I had a stupid doctor. MEANWHILE, asthma is a catch all word, somewhat as is SCHIZOPHRENIA, for a variety of symptoms, THEREFORE, as many asthma episodes are psychosomatic in nature aggravated by acute stress, etc., etc., my point is that in fact many people may well have, and may have, " witnessed significant (and positive) cognitive changes"  without understanding the significance od the cognitive effect(s), being as they were/are concerned about the episode experience (shortness of breath for instance).

I am thinking along this line of thought, a request for forum members to reply to a questionnaire concerning their asthmatic condition and medication. Possible we could get some interesting consensus on members experiences, as well as enlighten them on the subject matter. They would in turn perhaps take their anti inflammatory MONTELUKAST at a non-episode time and report their experience.

I just called a friend who has a couple of pharmacies here (PERU) but she is out of town for the New Year's celebrations. I will get some Montelukast, test it out and report back. I will also make contact with purchasers/users, via my friend, and question them and explain why. If in fact this works out in a positive fashion, I will suggest it to a few of my "patients" whom I "advise" who have the symptoms of dementia and run some tests with them also. A few are with Parkinson, a few with Alzheimer's, a few with Mild Cognitive Impairment and a couple with: I have no idea as of yet. The basis will be to test improved short term memory first ("noot effect") without any other nootropic ingestion. Cheers.

Your point about Montelukast probably helping  those ( without them knowing it) with psychosomatic asthma is interesting ( if it really has cognitive effects),  but I suspect that the ratio of real asthma ( the ones correctly diagnosed ) to psychosomatic asthma is much higher in the world, although I don't have any numbers to support that. There are also some symptoms that are trademarks of real asthma, like audible wheezing, wich you almost never find in cases of psychosomatic asthma ( often called silent asthma, because of the absence of wheezing ). So I still think that by now, we should have had substantial reports of collateral cognitive enhancement by people correctly diagnosed with non-psychosomatic asthma and taking Montelukast.

My old mother is a long-time serious asthma sufferer ( to the point of being hospitalized at times ), and I just found out she was on Montelukast for quite sometime now, but she didn't notice anything special going on cognitive-wise . But then again she is kind of retired and doesn't do much during the day anyway, so perhaps she is not noticing it.

I've been myself on Montelukast for more than a month now ( and will be on it for another two months, by prescription of my doctor ), and honestly can't say I've noticed any changes at all on the cognitive side. In fact , I'm not even sure it's doing anything for my asthma either, as I'm also taking an inhaled bronchodilatator combined with a corticosteroid ( Seretide, an inhaled combination of fluticasone and salmeterol )

If that upcoming human study with Montelukast shows any improvement at all, I suspect it won't be at the normal dosages usually prescribed for asthma, probably much higher dosages.

BLUECLOUD:

Sorry to hear that both you and your mother have asthma.

I assume that both of you are taking 10mg a day of Montelukast and not a higher dose. I think your correct about having to have a higher dose, maybe 20mg a day, for cognitive improvement since the relief from cerebral inflammation would likely be the cause.

Various types of dementia, speaking of noticeable short term memory loss, which are effected by Amyloid beta deposits/accumulation, result in saturating spaces between existing normal cells (in any organ where it takes on depositing/accumulating). The foreign presence of the Amyloid beta coupled with the body inability to dissolve and remove the same eventually causes pressure, inflammation; a cascade of effects leading to loss of neuron communication - memory loss (in the brain).

A similar set of circumstances occur with Lipofuscin, although Lipofuscin is not a peptide (short protein matter) but an accumulation of "garbage" left over from normal metabolic activity that is not being removed for disposal, thereby accumulating in spaces between cells where it normally should not and would not be present, especially in mass. The Lipofuscin occupies space in the synapse, causing pressure and inflammation, etc., and effectively disrupts neuron communication = memory loss (in the brain).

Both bad boys, Amyloid beta & Lipofuscin, can, do and will accumulate in other organs and areas of the body besides the brain. I realize we are primarily talking about cognitive improvement here but i think it should be known that these abnormal mechanisms do occur throughout the body leading to serious health problems, conditions and diseases.

Apparently Montelukast can penetrate the bbb (blood brain barrier), effect the brain by reducing/eliminating inflammation. It would unlikely be removing the Amyloid beta, which is a solid protein fibrous mass and it would unlikely be breaking up the sticky greasy Lipofuscin mass, otherwise it would be report as doing so if in fact the subject animals (rats) used in the research were sacrificed to observe the condition of their brains.

NOTE: I am apparently not following the procedure in making reply to posts here, so if anyone could kindly assist me in my ignorance so that I am not just adding onto someone elses comments or replies. Thank you in advance. LONGLIFE.-

Edited by LongLife, 07 January 2016 - 01:02 AM.

#32 Ulyssees

• 8 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:59 PM

Hi everyone,

in accordance with her doctor I got Montelukast for my 87 year old mother,she is on 10mg per day now for a week. Her Dementia, loss of short term memory, has not gotten much better yet, but her mood and general attitude towards life seems to have increased. I will keep you updated here on her status.

I'm surprised that this was the only forum on the whole internet, where Montelukast is discussed regarding Dementia. Or did I miss any place?

Regards,
Max

Edited by Ulyssees, 20 January 2016 - 06:01 PM.

• Informative x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 BlueCloud

• 540 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:29 PM

Perhaps people are not reporting much on the Net because there isn't much to report. I'm now on my second month of Montelukast ( for my asthma) and haven't noticed anything at all on the cognitive side.

#34 Santi

• 21 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:57 PM

Did you have a high C-Reactive Protein on your last exam? Remember it only decreases inflammation. This means it will assist a brain which has high inflammation by changing the cell environment. If you don't currently have moderate to high inflammation than it won't help you very much right now though it would be beneficial to take to prevent damage from increasing inflammation as a person gets older much like diabetes medicine decreases damage to non-diabetics and pre-diabetics.

#35 Ulyssees

• 8 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:12 PM

I would not expect anyone that is not suffering from Dementia to notice much of a difference really. As per the study, young rats were not affected.

Thanks for your comment though!

#36 LongLife

• 145 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:57 AM

Regarding the reduction of brain inflammation. The Standard American Diet (S.A.D.) loaded with sugar and soft carbohydrates causes brain inflammation to some degree; more in some people than others. 

The rat study on memory improvement using Montelukast as a reducer of brain inflammation, I believe was using the equivalent of 20mg/day. Not 10mg/day. As a prescription drug, most people will not either: afford it or be able to see two doctors to get a double prescription.

Here in Peru, the pharmacies sell it over-the-counter (OTC) and I have found it from 1.50 to 8.50 for each 10mg pill. The conversion rate is 1 dollar = 3.45, so from about $0.50 to $2.50 @ 10mg pill. That is a lot of money for the average Joe to pay per day when considering this is for elderly with Dementia. meaning people who have no insurance and a restricted budget, like no discretionary income.

I have posted early the question of the cost per 10mg pill in the USA with no reply from anyone.

I think that anyone who can afford it and get it; 10mg/ day for 10 days, then 15mg/day for 10 days then 20mg/day and wait and see what the results are would be a safe buildup. I treat some people with dementia, using nutrition primarily and some plant extracts; some being sold on-line in the USA, usually through Nootropic sites. The epigenetic factor I have found to be very important. Anyways, as mentioned some days ago, I am going to be starting one person on Montelukast, since the money part of the equation is not too important for them (the family). This will take some time but I will report back on the 20mg/day after reaching that level and giving some cognitive testing as we go through time.

I would think that everyone reading this thread will need to keep in mind that 20mg/day is probably where the noticeable memory improvement effects will be found. IMHO, cheers.

Edited by LongLife, 22 January 2016 - 03:03 AM.

• Good Point x 1

#37 Ulyssees

• 8 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:10 AM

Just to make sure we are talking about the same study. This is the one I was refering to:

http://www.nature.co...ncomms9466.html

And it states:

"Most importantly, in a human subject taking 10 mg per day montelukast, that is, the approved dose to treat asthma, we detected montelukast in the serum and in the CSF in a similar concentration as in the rats (Supplementary Fig. 1a), suggesting that the standard 10 mg per day dose in humans is sufficient to reach a therapeutic dose in the CSF."

Where did you read/hear about a suggested 20mg/day dose?

Here in Germany the cheapest generic 10mg tablet is available for € 0.48 which equals about US $ 0.52. Germany isn't exactly known for low prices of medication however.

My mother is lucky enough to get Montelukast as a prescription for her allergic Rhinitis, paid by her insurance.

What are the other nutritions/plant extracts you are giving your patients? Did they make a noticeable difference?

Thanks,
Max

Edited by Ulyssees, 22 January 2016 - 08:14 AM.

#38 resveratrol_guy

• 1,315 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:20 PM

I would think that everyone reading this thread will need to keep in mind that 20mg/day is probably where the noticeable memory improvement effects will be found. IMHO, cheers.

This will take some time but I will report back on the 20mg/day after reaching that level and giving some cognitive testing as we go through time.

Good point. The delay to maximum effect is also an unknown here. We seem to have lots of research supporting Montelukast, yet human reports are underwhelming from a memory improvement standpoint. So if we use a higher dose, and wait longer, then perhaps the effects will be more pronounced. I'm skeptical, but yes please make your progress reports here.

#39 Ulyssees

• 8 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:23 PM

We seem to have lots of research supporting Montelukast, yet human reports are underwhelming from a memory improvement standpoint

I haven't found a single report about a human suffering from Dementia and trying Montelukast yet. Have you seen any?

Edited by Ulyssees, 22 January 2016 - 04:24 PM.

#40 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:50 PM

There was a suggestion in the Daily Mail last December that said Montelukast could double as a dementia treatment as it increases neurogenesis.

#41 Ulyssees

• 8 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:50 PM

**Update**

My observation after 3 weeks of Montelukast (1st week 10mg/day, 2nd+3rd week 15mg/day: 5mg in the morning, 10mg in the evening) treatment of my 87-year-old-mother, who is suffering from Dementia (specifically strong loss of short term memory) :

1. Her short term memory capabilities have not changed much, at least not significantly. Every now and then she does surprise me with remembering things that happened the day(s) before though. Her "routine" of asking the same things over and over again, sometimes the same question several times a day, has not changed yet however.

2. Improvements: general perception of life, less anxious, good mood. She has even gotten more humourous again. Walks the dog (and complains much less about him), reads the newspaper on a daily basis again.

3. She, herself, thinks that things have improved.

4. No side effects at all so far.

The above improvements may or may not be attributed to Montelukast. I've also had the chance to spend more time with her during these 3 weeks, which I am sure attributed to the positive effects too.

I'm thinking about upping her daily dose to 20mg/day as someone suggested here, but not before another week or two.
  • Informative x 3
  • unsure x 1

#42 LongLife

• 145 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:59 PM

**Update**

My observation after 3 weeks of Montelukast (1st week 10mg/day, 2nd+3rd week 15mg/day: 5mg in the morning, 10mg in the evening) treatment of my 87-year-old-mother, who is suffering from Dementia (specifically strong loss of short term memory) :

1. Her short term memory capabilities have not changed much, at least not significantly. Every now and then she does surprise me with remembering things that happened the day(s) before though. Her "routine" of asking the same things over and over again, sometimes the same question several times a day, has not changed yet however.

2. Improvements: general perception of life, less anxious, good mood. She has even gotten more humourous again. Walks the dog (and complains much less about him), reads the newspaper on a daily basis again.

3. She, herself, thinks that things have improved.

4. No side effects at all so far.

The above improvements may or may not be attributed to Montelukast. I've also had the chance to spend more time with her during these 3 weeks, which I am sure attributed to the positive effects too.

I'm thinking about upping her daily dose to 20mg/day as someone suggested here, but not before another week or two.

ULYSSEES: It has been about six weeks, how did things go?

Has your mother been taking 20mg?

How are the observations?

#43 krintox

• 4 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:08 AM

Sorry for the bump.

Started on Montelukast about a month ago for my allergies to pollen during this season.

Due to lifelong depressions and bad past experiences i cant remember some parts of my Life as well as having generally bad long term memory.

I have kind of a hazy memory.

Past Days though (about a week) enough of my memories have returned that i just had to ask myself whats going on.

And so i googled Montelukast + memory and found this thread.

Anyone else had similar experience or know anything?

Just wondering if im imagining things or if its this medicine clearing my mind.

#44 LongLife

• 145 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:47 PM

Sorry for the bump.

Started on Montelukast about a month ago for my allergies to pollen during this season.

Due to lifelong depressions and bad past experiences i cant remember some parts of my Life as well as having generally bad long term memory.

I have kind of a hazy memory.

Past Days though (about a week) enough of my memories have returned that i just had to ask myself whats going on.

And so i googled Montelukast + memory and found this thread.

Anyone else had similar experience or know anything?

Just wondering if im imagining things or if its this medicine clearing my mind.

KRINTOX:

Thank you for your post. If you have access to purchase more, than do so. Slowly increase the doseage, as previously suggested in earlier posts, and make notation of the dates and the observations in your health and memory. You will definatetly see improvements increasing in memory. Report back please. Best wishes.

#45 Henrique

• 7 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 04:08 AM

Hi, I have just signed up to LongeCity to post in this topic, since I got very interested on this drug. I had never heard of montelukast before, until I ran into an article today about common "old" drugs who have the potential to be used off-label to treat other conditions, and read an article about that study on monkeys with montelukast improving cognition. I am very into this topic of mood and cognition, since I suffer from depression and social anxiety, and with it comes along the infamous cognitve impairment, such as poor concentration and memory. I always prefer to research on supplements, but I know that sometimes drugs can have interesting features and effects.

Since then I have been studying and reading anything on montelukast, searching on google and pubmed, and came down here after looking for "montelukast nootropic". I have read many interesting information here and got even more curious about it. Searching on the site drugs . com where we can read users' reviews for many kind of drugs, I was astounded to read some reviews on montelukast (being used for what it is currently aproved by the way) with many people complaining of horrible side effects like anxiety, panic attacks, vivid dreams and nightmares...

What I found interesting is that, although it seems to be horrible effects and enough to make people want to get off of it, this seemed to me like a proof that indeed montelukast has an action in the brain. And although it may seem a "bad" effect, I remembered that many of these effects are also caused by psychotropic drugs like antidepressants, especially in the beginning of the treatment, and subside after a couple of weeks with the brain adjusting to it. Antidepressants are noteworthily known to cause neurogenesis, improve brain plasticity and being neuroprotective, actually that's how some speculate it acts on mood against depression and anxiety. But they are also recognised for the delay of action, with patients having to wait at least 3-4 weeks or more before noting an improvement.

So it got me thinking whether this side effects people reported about montelukast were the same case, and if one keeps on taking for some time he/she can eventually have some cognitive or mood benefits after the brain adjusts from it and it changes the neurochemistry. I am very tempted to make myself a guinea pig and experience with this drug. Fortunately (like many others) here in Brazil I found out it is sold over the counter and is also kind of inexpensive.

#46 krintox

• 4 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:02 AM

Longlife: I will try and report back. I Think Ive got some sort of effect on 10mg that have peaked my interest on this topic. Still, my asthma is what im targeting. Gonna stay on current dosage though since thats what my doctor prescribed :)

Henrique: Havent experienced any negative side effects at all. Got my depression under Control with regular antidepressants so my mood is ok, aside that ive got a bad memory. Cant Think of anything else than Montelukast though that could cause me to get some memories back all of a sudden, havent changed anything else. Plus it works for my asthma :)

#47 krintox

• 4 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:25 PM

Longlife: I will try and report back. I Think Ive got some sort of effect on 10mg that have peaked my interest on this topic. Still, my asthma is what im targeting. Gonna stay on current dosage though since thats what my doctor prescribed :)

Henrique: Havent experienced any negative side effects at all. Got my depression under Control with regular antidepressants so my mood is ok, aside that ive got a bad memory. Cant Think of anything else than Montelukast though that could cause me to get some memories back all of a sudden, havent changed anything else. Plus it works for my asthma :)

Quoting myself. Noticed i wrote asthma above since i read about exactly that just a moment before. But what it should have said is polIen allergies, sorry. Cognitive issues yeah :)

#48 Henrique

• 7 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:21 PM

krintox, I can totally relate to you when you say:

"Due to lifelong depressions and bad past experiences i cant remember some parts of my Life as well as having generally bad long term memory.

I have kind of a hazy memory."

That's exactly what happens with me as well. So anything which could improve my memory or only make me recall things that I must have forgotten, I think would be interesting, that's why I got interested in montelukast.

If may I ask, what AD are you taking? They say that antidepressants can improve cognition (if think that can happen only if the depression is cured and it was what was causing the cognitive impariment) but in my experience they always made things worse, especially regarding memory. I have already tried paroxetine and sertraline, nome of them has helped with it. Bupropion has the better cognitive profile but I found it helpful only in my concentration, not my habilites to memorize and recall things.

Now my psychiatrist wanted to put me on escitalopram but I think it will be disappointing like the other SSRIs, I asked her to prescribe the novel drug called vortioxetine, which is a serotonin reuptake inhibitor but has also other machanisms of action in some receptors and is thought to help big deal on cognition, according some studies, by indirectly increasing dopamine and noradrenaline in the pre-frontal cortex.

She didn't know about this drug yet, though it's already being sold here since this year, and said she would research on it before prescribing me. I'm looking forward to my next appointment to start it. 

#49 BlueCloud

• 540 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:56 AM

Just reviving this thread to see if anyone has anything new to report .

I'm myself back on Montelukast ( 10mg a day ) as part of my asthma treatment. But as I said before, I haven't noticed any cognitive changes personally.

#50 Henrique

• 7 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 08:14 AM

I also began to take it, I'm taking 10 mg for almost 2 months now. I haven't noticed any big impact on my cognitive habilities (yet), but I do feel like it's having an effect. Sometimes I think it makes me more depressive, other times I think I'm recalling better some things, for instance, some event in the past or something I read or studied... I always had poor memory. On my research on montelukast and leukotrienes I also find out some studies and researches about montelukast and other leukotrines antagonists being used for acne and even hairloss... I also have acne problems and I'm noticing an improvement with it as well, and I'm hoping to see more with time.

Montelukast and its class of drugs seem to me like those drugs that have many other effects and aplications other than those for which they are legally prescribed or aproved. It seems to be useful especially on conditions where inflammation is an issue. And we know now that chronic inflammation is behind many of the commonest chronic health problems. Each new study I run into about montelukast I suspect it's like metformin and may be one drug to keep eyes on regarding possible health and longevity benefits. I think I read something about it being good for preventing or treating heart problems.

I myself intend to keep taking it still for some time, maybe reduce to 5 mg after 3 months, and see how it goes, I don't know yet. I'm still young, so maybe that's why (like the studies suggested) I'm not seeing any difference on cognition, but it seems it can also act preventively, according to some studies it is neuroprotective against many substances that can cause damage to the brain. That being said, if I don't develop any side effect from it (by know I haven't notice any), I intend to keep taking it like a supplement, even without me having asthma. 

#51 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:40 PM

Now, THIS is an interesting topic...! I learned about Montelukast just this morning, and it's definitively an intriguing substance!

A novel anti-inflammatory... working on both the lungs and the brains.

I have asthma, as well as BURNOUT at the moment, so this could be a very, very interesting medication for me... What do you think, guys? Could my burnt out body benefit from this drug? Is inflammatory response a part of the mechanisms of Burnout?

• Agree x 1

#52 Henrique

• 7 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:35 PM

Another article that has just being published on PubMed regarding montelukask and the brain, and its mechanisms.

Pharmaceutical rejuvenation of age-associated decline in spatial memory.
Mendelsohn ARLarrick J.
Abstract

Spatial memory and cognition decline during aging. Montelukast, an FDA approved drug for the treatment of asthma can restore spatial memory in old rats to levels similar to those of young animals. Treatment improves three hallmarks of aging in the brain: reducing microglial- mediated neuroinflammation, brain blood barrier permeability and increasing neurogenesis in the hippocampus although not completely to youthful levels.  Other aging-associated parameters, such as reduced synaptic density, are not affected, suggesting that anti-aging therapeutics may be further optimized. Montelukast targets leukotriene receptors GPR17 and CysLTR1 and appears to invert leukotriene signaling, converting an inflammatory signal into an anti-inflammatory signal. This acts as a dominant factor to overcome the dysfunctional effects of aging reportedly mediated in part by blood-borne factors such as beta-2 microglobulin that inhibit neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus of the hippocampus.  The key mechanism for cognitive improvement by montelukast may be restoration of BBB integrity, which would presumably decrease the amount of deleterious blood borne factors to enter the brain. Whether or not this hypothesis is true for montelukast, drugs that restore or maintain BBB integrity may be useful in combating age-related loss of cognitive function.

#53 Henrique

• 7 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:44 PM

I have given a pause in taking it, because as many people I did find it messes up somewhat with my humor... As I said before I have depression and maybe bipolar II so I got afraid of getting these conditions worse with montelukast, but I still intend to give it a try eventually. I still take now and then a pill when I feel that my immune system is cracking with inflammation, showing mainly with acne flares up. 

#54 Henrique

• 7 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:56 PM

Now, THIS is an interesting topic...! I learned about Montelukast just this morning, and it's definitively an intriguing substance!

A novel anti-inflammatory... working on both the lungs and the brains.

I have asthma, as well as BURNOUT at the moment, so this could be a very, very interesting medication for me... What do you think, guys? Could my burnt out body benefit from this drug? Is inflammatory response a part of the mechanisms of Burnout?

I'm not sure you should try montelukast, but I think you should definetly try rhodiola rosea for your burnout... It has natural adaptogen properties of lifting mood, fatigue, stamina, energy, and stress. Look it up. There are many researches on it. It's even good for asthma according to a study from 2014, since it's also a natural anti-inflammatory.

• Good Point x 1

#55 BlueCloud

• 540 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:16 AM

It seems that a human trial for neurogenerative diseases is undergoing. A company has repurposed the formula to make it more bioavailable, and has made Phase 1, and is going to start Phase 2. 

INTELGENX ANNOUNCES SUCCESSFUL CLINICAL STUDY FOR MONTELUKAST FOR THE TREATMENT OF DEGENERATIVE DISEASES OF THE BRAIN

August 22, 2016

SAINT-LAURENT, CANADA -- (Marketwired) -- 08/22/16 -- IntelGenx Corp., (TSX VENTURE:IGX)(OTCQX:IGXT), today announced the successful completion of a pilot clinical study for Montelukast VersaFilm™ that demonstrated a significantly improved pharmacokinetic profile against the reference product. Montelukast is a unique drug repurposing opportunity for the treatment of degenerative diseases of the brain, such as mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's disease, the most prominent form of dementia. 

The study data confirmed that buccal absorption of the drug from the Montelukast film product resulted in a significally improved bioavailability of the drug compared to the commercial tablet. The study was designed as a single-dose, randomized, two-way cross-over pilot study in 8 healthy subjects. AUC0-inf was 3863 ± 1343 ng/ml*h-1 for the IntelGenx product vs. 2697 ± 1003 ng/ml*h-1 for the reference product Singulair® tablets, representing a 52% increase in bioavailability of the drug after administration of the IntelGenx film product. In addition, the study data confirmed that Montelukast crosses the blood/brain barrier when administered using IntelGenx' Versafilm™ delivery technology. 

The Company has begun preparation for a phase II-a proof-of-concept (POC) study. Patient enrolment for this study is expected to commence in Q1/2017. The Company expects the results from the study to be available in Q4/2017. Based on the outcome of this first efficacy trial in humans, IntelGenx will be actively seeking a partnership or alliance opportunity to further advance developmental work and commercialization of this product.

http://www.intelgenx...in/default.aspx

Also, there are have been few reports of effects of the regular Montelukast on older patients with dementia, but it seems very unpredictable

Case Series Using Montelukast in Patients with Memory Loss and Dementia  

Abstract

Cognitive decline and dementia are a growing problem as the population ages. Effective therapies to prevent and treat these problems are limited. Neuro-inflammation has been suggested as a cause of dementia [1]. Montelukast is a leukotriene receptor antagonist used to treat seasonal allergies and asthma. It acts as a cysteinyl leukotriene (CysLT1) receptor antagonist blocking the action of leukotrienes and decreasing inflammation [2]. Animal studies have shown that administering Montelukast improves memory function [

Abstract

Cognitive decline and dementia are a growing problem as the population ages. Effective therapies to prevent and treat these problems are limited. Neuro-inflammation has been suggested as a cause of dementia [1]. Montelukast is a leukotriene receptor antagonist used to treat seasonal allergies and asthma. It acts as a cysteinyl leukotriene (CysLT1) receptor antagonist blocking the action of leukotrienes and decreasing inflammation [2]. Animal studies have shown that administering Montelukast improves memory function [3]. This case series of patients in a private Internal Medicine practice between 2013-2014 used Montelukast in patients with various levels of memory impairment and dementia. Patients were given Montelukast 80 mg daily in 4 divided doses every 2-3 hours. Memory impaired patients had subjective improvement in the memory and recall. Patients with dementia were noted by family members to be less agitated, but had no memory improvement at the doses used. Montelukast may be useful to treat memory impairment and dementia. Long term use might act as a prophylactic to prevent dementia.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5420184/

Edited by BlueCloud, 25 October 2017 - 08:17 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#56 beijair

• 21 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:45 AM

This is interesting. A few months ago i was prescribed a drug because i often have issues with breathing. I took the drug a few times but not on a regular basis. The times i did take it i felt good and more clear headed. After reading in this thread i wondered if i was also prescribed this drug. Just looked at the bottle and sure enough it is the same drug.
i had no negative side effects from the drug at 10 mg and typically took it at night for a better sleep.
guess it's a good time to experiment and maybe up the dose. I've taken 20 mg in a day and didn't notice and bad side effects.
I wasn't going to get it refilled because i didn't think my asthma was all that bad. Glad i read the post

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montelukast, asthma, medication, new, nootropic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users