LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Best Magnesium supplement?

magnesium supplement best anxiety sleep insomnia poll stress panic

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Poll: Best Magnesium Form in Terms of Bioavailability and anxiety? (66 member(s) have cast votes)

Magnesium Forms

1. Magnesium taurate (1 votes [1.52%])

Percentage of vote: 1.52%

2. Magnesium citrate (13 votes [19.70%])

Percentage of vote: 19.70%

3. Magnesium glycinate (24 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

4. Magnesium malate (5 votes [7.58%])

Percentage of vote: 7.58%

5. Magnesium chloride (4 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

6. Magnesium carbonate (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Magnesium sulfate (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Magnesium oxide (5 votes [7.58%])

Percentage of vote: 7.58%

9. Magnesium L-threonate (14 votes [21.21%])

Percentage of vote: 21.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 birthdaysuit

• 299 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 04:47 PM

I'm wondering what is the best form of magnesium in terms of anxiolytic properties and bioavailability? Any input on brands would greatly be appreciated! 

Also, can magnesium Taruate downreglulate GABA receptors with long term use? 

Edited by birthdaysuit, 30 October 2015 - 04:51 PM.

#2 fntms

• 318 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:55 PM

Don't put too much hope on magnesium for anxiety, but I find mag glycinate is slightly ok...
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:40 PM

Probably the best is magnesium chloride 50/50 with water (the so called "magnesium oil) smeared on the skin (transdermal absorption): super cheap, no side effects and good bio availability.

As oral probably magnesium glycinate (or bisglycinate), bulkpowders uk one's seems OK.

• Well Written x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#4 birthdaysuit

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:15 PM

I’ve narrowed it down to magnesium glycinate, magnesium taurate, magnesium citrate, magnesium malate and magnesium L-threonate

Malate chelates aluminum. Also i’ve read that glycine is a co agonist of NMDA, where too much NMDA can cause glutamate excitotoxicity which causes neuronal death. I like how cheap citrate is but I’m not sure about its bio-avaliability compared to the others mentioned. I’ve taken glycinate on and off and it hasn’t done much, but many people seem to think it is good with prolonged use. 

Edited by birthdaysuit, 05 November 2015 - 09:47 PM.

#5 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:43 PM

Magnesium citrate bio-availability is very good (for a magnesium supplement) but the citrate part of it is VERY laxative therefore it may be difficult to ingest a big enough amount of it.

Magnesium citrate is what is given in hospitals as a laxative when a very clean intestine is needed, as when performing a colonscopy for example.

VERY powerful stuff!!! :)

#6 birthdaysuit

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:46 PM

Magnesium citrate bio-availability is very good (for a magnesium supplement) but the citrate part of it is VERY laxative therefore it may be difficult to ingest a big enough amount of it.

Magnesium citrate is what is given in hospitals as a laxative when a very clean intestine is needed, as when performing a colonscopy for example.

VERY powerful stuff!!! :)

I don’t want loose stools. 

#7 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:19 PM

If you take enough magnesium citrate it will be something more than just "loose stools". :)

Anyway it doesn't mean that nobody will be able to supplement with magnesium citrate in a satisfactory manner, it is just not ideal for sensitive people or for whom tends to mega-dose.

It may be excellent for whom needs a bit of "help" because it will catch two birds with one shot: magnesium supplement and laxative at the same time.

The rule of thumb with it is to start very conservative and gradually increase day by day up to a satisfactory point.

Powder form allows for more precise dosing.

• Good Point x 1

#8 birthdaysuit

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:26 PM

Mag. glycinate, magnesium taurate, magnesium citrate, magnesium malate and magnesium L-threonate?

​So out of these five which one would help to replete mag.? Glycinate seems counterproductive because is it not a NMDA antagonist? Mag. taurate seems good, but would prolonged use downregluate GABA receptors, I do like the feeling taurine gives me though, I’ve also heard good things about malate and it helping chronic fatigue and the memory enhancing properties of L-theronate. 

Would this mag. citrate be good: http://www.amazon.co...g=selfhacked-20

Edited by birthdaysuit, 07 November 2015 - 08:45 PM.

#9 birthdaysuit

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:09 AM

Any help?

I have rounded it down to magnesium malate, citrate or glycinate? L-Threonate is too damn expensive.

I will be purchasing one of these forms of magnesium,  I was tested and had a slight deficiency for mag. but I’m also hoping it will help with my anxiety, insomnia and fibromyalgia. I know it won’t be a cure, just a subtle approach to keep these issues under control. 

Edited by birthdaysuit, 10 December 2015 - 06:10 AM.

#10 Heinsbeans

• 111 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:02 AM

Have you looked at this thread? It might help with your decision on which magnesium to take: http://forum.bulletp...gnesium-thread/

Edited by Heinsbeans, 10 December 2015 - 09:03 AM.

• like x 1

#11 birthdaysuit

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:09 AM

Have you looked at this thread? It might help with your decision on which magnesium to take: http://forum.bulletp...gnesium-thread/

Thanks, lots of great info. 

#12 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:37 PM

I've tried them all over the years and found the Citrate variaties slow the nervous response some what! I do like the Magnesium oil/baths, not baths of the oil, just half a cup or more. The Quest brands CalMag 50/50 chelated with rice protien is nice, but to supplement minerals for health you should have an idea what your body is doing with them! Check out this link and help me help others to get great results with there health/performance goals: http://www.human-res...m_trapping.html

Edited by Multivitz, 13 December 2015 - 12:51 PM.

#13 birthdaysuit

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 02:49 AM

I've tried them all over the years and found the Citrate variaties slow the nervous response some what! I do like the Magnesium oil/baths, not baths of the oil, just half a cup or more. The Quest brands CalMag 50/50 chelated with rice protien is nice, but to supplement minerals for health you should have an idea what your body is doing with them! Check out this link and help me help others to get great results with there health/performance goals: http://www.human-res...m_trapping.html

I purchased both Magnesium Citrate and Malate. The Citrate has yet to come in but I’ve been taking the malate and I’m fairly impressed. I feel calm and my aches and pains have subsided. I’m really liking it.

#14 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:09 AM

I just ordered some malate mag. Go easy on it, your body can put away tonnes of the stuff. Magnesium is involved in ALL cells so expect them to want feeding!
It can push out iron Zinc Molybdenum so watch your symptoms! It need Silica to balance properl with your Calcium. When you feel like it maybe start learning the finer points of meditation. Mag certainly energises life :)

#15 birthdaysuit

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:32 AM

I just ordered some malate mag. Go easy on it, your body can put away tonnes of the stuff. Magnesium is involved in ALL cells so expect them to want feeding!
It can push out iron Zinc Molybdenum so watch your symptoms! It need Silica to balance properl with your Calcium. When you feel like it maybe start learning the finer points of meditation. Mag certainly energises life :)

I’ve already been trying to practice Vipassana meditation, which is similar to mindfulness meditation. A user on here introduced me to it. Initially, I was practicing kundalini but that fucked me over really bad. 

I use to take a zinc supplement but ran out. Should I get some more? I exercise daily and I know zinc can leave the body via sweat. Also, by silica do you mean a silica supplement? 

Couldn’t I just take Mag with vitamin D and calcium? 

Edited by birthdaysuit, 18 December 2015 - 03:33 AM.

#16 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:37 PM

Symptoms will guide you, taking 10mg of Zinc now and then should guard you against any trouble. I have taken 150mg/day for a week when I was training but it just left me nauseous for a bit. As it activates Adrenaline so anyone should be mindful of their excitement! It will enable the inner flame to soar, and one can lose their temper more easily. For sure this exercises that emotions capacity, 5mg of Zinc will usually freak someone out on thier first dose!
Zinc absorbs through the body quite easily, don't ever take it on an empty stomach!
It is known to heal burn victims 6 times faster. I found it stops heart burn because it is used by the stomach the activate enzymes that produce the tissues of its lining. Making the stomach lining faster and thicker, thats not to mention Zincs role in the digestive enzyme production, DNA, nearly all bodily processes, kidney health, immune system, bone+teeth+nails strength, nerves, Vitamin absorbtion, scar tissue reduction, anti parasite, sense of smell taste, mood, focus, capacity of will, sleep, stopping dandruff, stopping blister (think smaller calluses, whilst pulling wet rough rope all day without blisters with little soreness), blood cloting, eye health, Chromium substitute?
Thats not a complete list, but it includes many vital functions. Trouble is Zinc can use ones internal vitamin storage supply within a couple of days and can push Magnesium out. So take it easy unless you have good stock of stuff and are extremely active(think 4 hours sleep working hard from the time you've finished breakfast, to when you feel you should stop, eat until you are comfortable, I had jobs where I couldn't hold my body weight despite eating as much as I could all day,there is a limit! Some people have amazing Livers, but thier kidneys are usually weak. With healthy kidneys drinking too much fluids is not good and will make one yin, I have gone for 30 years using this true principle, but with a toxic environment this becomes tricky!
Fasting with a B12 deficiency caused my immune system to get low, and left me open to some parasites, I'm in the process of completing a 2 year self study of most unautherdox parasite cures, and have let myself go on and off to test many products/cures. In that time the experience has allowed me to know many important facts, not just read about them, but find deeper understandings.

#17 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:01 PM

I found Molybdenum is needed with Zinc to balance the mood. Keep doses low.

#18 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 December 2015 - 01:40 PM

http://drhyman.com/b...eral-available/

The link above has words from a professional. Please remember Magnesium isn't the 'be all end all mineral' all minerals compete in the bodies waters by electrolytic polarity and there present electrical potential. So read up on symptoms, interactions, types of chelates and the places they are used most in the body, side effects are intresting some are harmless some have great significance. Everything is reversible, knowing how is a job given to a Doctor! I prefer to be my own, but sometimes a second opinion can help greatly). I don't take drugs if I can help it.

Edited by Multivitz, 19 December 2015 - 01:44 PM.

#19 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 December 2015 - 02:35 PM

With regards to anxiety, I don't have it, I can get it now and then when I want to.
Zinc stops anxiety but works with Molybdenum to be more effective, taking Magnesium supplements will lower Zinc and Molybdenum every time. It's like the saying 'throwing the baby out with the bath water' except the body can reuse a lot of the compounds the minerals are stuck to, and the minerals themselves. So life as a mineral inside the human body has many situations, barriers, mechanisms, co-factors, inter related relationships to other minerals that are used in a close biological sub systems amongst Transmutation mechanisms found in physical actions as well as temperature related thresholds, needed for Transmutation, found throughout the natural world.

Edited by Multivitz, 19 December 2015 - 02:37 PM.

• like x 1

#20 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 December 2015 - 06:31 PM

@birthdaysuit If you don't mind me asking, what way did the practice of Kundilin effect you? It's a powerful way to attain a photonic realisation, and should be guided in all honesty.

The last sentence of my previous post was maybe a bit too long, but take a deep breath and try over until the comprehension of it makes sense. Thanks.

Edited by Multivitz, 19 December 2015 - 06:39 PM.

• Enjoying the show x 1

#21 birthdaysuit

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:02 PM

I practiced kundalini meditation for a little over a year, alone, often outside. I would focus my mind on certain areas on my body, the first area being near my reproductive parts. Each time I meditated there was a strange feeling that would cumuilate. After over a year of this the sensation exploded. It was very odd, it felt like heat and electricity flowing throughout my whole body. At times it was interesting but it was markedly intrusive and annoying at the same time. I went to a neurologist Becuase I was getting electrical like zaps in my head, they wanted to prescribe me Prozac, I refused an told them I wasn't depressed. They said the feeling was anxiety. I stopped meditating altogether for awhile and the feeling started to subside or I just got use to it, not sure. I only recently started to pick up meditation again.

Also, could I get zinc from chlorella and Spirillina? I have Organic tablets. What foods are high in zinc?

#22 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:34 PM

Most fish and certain nuts are rich in Zinc. With the scare of Ficushima I'm relucant to eat fish on a weekly basis, so supplementing Zinc along with Molybdenum has worked well for me and others I know who have had long term Mag use. I still eat from the sea, as there are bacteria that Transmute radiation far quicker than the isotope's half life!

Edited by Multivitz, 19 December 2015 - 09:08 PM.

#23 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:05 PM

@birthdaysuit I see you have produced the Chi and it has risen through your body. It feeds the cells and travels, not only through it's photonic channels, but through nerve fibres(the energy Chi travels through anything, something thats in common with Testla electric?). It seems to me that your Parasympathetic nervous system has developed connections into other nerve systems. It's a common problem, in many healing systems they would use herbs to correct this, colour can also help.
I use my Chi from my heart to help my body as it's more yang than Chi from the Root Chakara, but I wouldn't blame yourself in this case (don't play the blame game).
I would say a Zinc deficiency has reduced your hearts capacity for yang, nothing serious, Zinc works globally. Zinc activates enzymes (inside the cell) that produce lipids, the same ones that help nerve cognition. No doubt a major reason for the unbalance sensation experience you have experienced through the powerful sacred practice of Kundelini.
Some unbalance I experienced was heart speed control! It is a skill, just as the heating you experienced. To control the skill with the will, focus has to be found and respected. To undertake a task of importance (potential high emotion) one has to be rested and calm, otherwise the wrong decisions are found. If you ask the right question, you will find the right direction to go in?
Rice has L-Histidine in and when the stomach acids work (Zinc) to expose this amino acid a yin quality to the nervous can be realised. This particular yin quality helps focus, take some L-Histidine, if you get the chance, and you'll see what I mean. Over working the Root Chakara without adequate dietary support can cause shortages else where? Anxiety and lack of focus would be a shortage, as below so above, in your case, this can be said because in the Chakara system the centers mirror each other in ways.
L-Methionine has a relationship to L-Histidine. Both are involved with the Root Chakara. Both are involved with orgasm, being happy to the point of orgasm from merely looking closely at a flower is a profound experience! Especially when no drugs are involved! Lifes a trip.
Meditation has it's uses, don't embark into it unless one it prepared. Having guidance from others may help preperation, as can diet and other environmental factors (like a nice place to meditate?)

Edited by Multivitz, 19 December 2015 - 11:30 PM.

• like x 1

#24 dazed1

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:25 AM

Magnesium Bisglycinate is simply amazing. I got cramps if i stay more then 2 days without it, and trust me. Even 100mg dose, is MORE then enough, its so good that eveb 1/4 if the RDA is enough!!! its simply stunning. I use the healty origins powder its on iherb for 12$ or so, it taste disguting, but if you keep your nose closed you wont feel anything. Taken with B6 is simply unmatched. Don't buy into the hype of other forms, and yes Glycinate and Bisglycinate is not the same AFAIK, the Bi part is to mark the 2 glycine molecules binned to magnesium instead of one for the Glycine to even further increase the absorption.

You do not need more then 100 or 200mg max, anything over it and you are just wasting it, i have tried citrate and oxide, they are laughable in comparasion.

• unsure x 1

#25 RWhigham

• 509 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 October 2016 - 12:53 AM

Magnesium bisglycinate tastes simply horrible. I would never buy the powder again. It's only palatable in capsules.

Mg RDA = 420 mg (men) but the supplement UL is 350 mg (to limit bowel effects). The safe UL is 3.5 g transdermal.

Now I make 17.5 g of Mg-acetate and add it to my 1.5 L water pitcher kept in the refrigerator. Mg-acetate is not marketed as a supplement but is easy to make and tastes just fine, is hardly noticeable in my water. 17.5 g Mg-acetate = 1.8 g Mg and 15.7 g acetate.

The acetate is metabolized like ketones directly in your mitochondria bypassing the cytoplasm break down required for fats and glucose. Acetate provides 9.1 kcal/g.

To make Mg-acetate solution, add 12 tbsp white vinegar to 15 g Mg-hydroxide (= 3 tbsp Milk of Magnesia). This produces a mildly exothermic reaction which turns from cloudy to clear. If it doesn't turn clear, your ingredients are not pure or you need to add a bit more vinegar. I put the resulting 15 tbsp of clear Mg-acetate solution in my pitcher, add distilled water, then add 1 tsp of K-citrate (containing 2.5 g of K) and 1 tsp of Source Naturals OptiMSM (4.8 g)

I bought some bulk Mg-hydroxide and it was impure - never turned clear. Threw it out and stuck with plain Milk of Magnesia (Kroger).

I use this water for tea, coffee, etc in addition to drinking it straight. Tastes fine and no bowel problems.

If I don't keep it in the refrigerator, it turns cloudy after a day or so exposed to light. The Mg-acetate solution is supposed to be stable such that you can boil it down to make a transdermal syrup (for mega dosing). So there may be some reaction with the other ingredients.

The Mg-acetate and K-citrate are both highly alkalizing such that my urine is slightly alkaline most of the time (General Hydroponics pH drops turn green). Keeping urine alkaline is supposed to cure osteopenia (which I got from a parathyroid tumor, which I got from radiation to shrink my tonsils when I was a child).

The MSM has helped to clear the bursitis in my elbows.

K RDA =  4.7 g (optimum from food) but the estimated dietary intake in the US is 2 g/day, a 2.7 g short fall. The supplement limit is 99 mg (to save the life of people who take it with bad kidneys - if your kidneys are bad, potassium can make your heart soft and flabby). 2.5 g potassium taken a little at a time in 1.5 L drinking water compensates for the potassium depleted soils in the US. (But make sure your kidneys are working properly!)

Edited by RWhigham, 28 October 2016 - 01:50 AM.

• Informative x 3
  • Well Written x 1
  • like x 1

#26 dazed1

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 October 2016 - 09:12 AM

Magnesium bisglycinate tastes simply horrible. I would never buy the powder again. It's only palatable in capsules.

Like i said, you drink it with nose closed, in 250ml water, use 200mg not more, and you wont feel a thing. Capsules have lower absorption. Anyway the benefits by far outweighs the bad taste.

Edited by dazed1, 28 October 2016 - 09:13 AM.

• Ill informed x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#27 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 October 2016 - 07:42 PM

how can capsules have lower absorption obviously you just came out with this without facts

#28 dazed1

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 October 2016 - 09:38 PM

Very easy, when you dissolve it in water, its absorbed more rapidly then capsules which need to be dissolved in gastric juice, and during that process some of it its wasted, there is a reason why you need to stir before drinking.

• Good Point x 1
  • like x 1

#29 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 October 2016 - 04:10 AM

hmm interesting but absorption has been proven to occur in the colon while stomach acids really fuck up most of the shit up. so capsules actually can create prolonged release effect. but then you might be right, if it worked for you

• dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 88Herbs

• 4 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:53 PM

This is a great topic and one I care a lot about.

I just want to point out a couple things to hopefully add to the discussion.

Firstly, it really depends what you are using the magnesium for.  If you are using it as a laxative for example, then oxide is a good choice because it doesn't absorb in the body and draws water into the large intestine.  For magnesium that crosses the blood brain barrier, then magnesium threonate is ideal.

For most people who actually want the magnesium to absorb into the body, the current winner of the vote "magnesium glycinate" is a great choice.  It absorbs very well.

Magnesium glycinate is exactly the same as magnesium bisglycinate.  They just use a different name for the same thing.  I often have people ask me that.

I also want to point out that not all magnesium glycinate (bisglycinate) is the same.  Most of what is on the market is "buffered", which actually means that magnesium oxide has been mixed in to raise the % of elemental magnesium in a cheap way.  Unless is specifically says "non buffered magnesium bisglycinate" then it likely is buffered.  Most of it is.  If you are ever unsure, then look at the back of the bottle and look at the ratio of the magnesium compound to the elemental magnesium.  Pure bisglycinate should be about 10% elemental.  If the ratio is over 15%, then it has definitely been buffered.  It's basic chemistry.

We use pure non-buffered magnesium bisglycinate because it absorbs the best and doesn't cause any loose stools at all.  

• Informative x 4
  • Good Point x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magnesium, supplement, best, anxiety, sleep, insomnia, poll, stress, panic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users