Lion's mane - Fruit (blend or not) vs Mycelium

lions mane mushroom mycelium cognitive enhancer ngf

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 98NSX

• 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:02 PM

After reading through various threads on shroomery, there have been some comparisons stated between the different types of lion's mane.

There hasn't been much info on this here on longecity, so I thought "why not bring this up?"

In your opinion, which extract will show the most promising beneficial cognitive results?

I'm considering going through Host Defense btw.

#2 Real Mushrooms

• 101 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:56 AM

What you need to be aware of is that there is no pure mycelium lions mane products. 

So saying mushroom vs mycelium is false. It would be mushroom vs mycelium on grain.

Mycelium on grain has been shown to be high in starch and low in active compounds. Anything made in the USA is mycelium on grain.

Fruiting body extracts are the closest thing if you want to follow the research. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#3 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:08 AM

Grow your own.

http://www.fungi.com...us-culture.html

They also cell "pure mycellium capsules."  Hopefully the substrate is minimal.

• like x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#4 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:55 PM

Grow your own.

http://www.fungi.com...us-culture.html

They also cell "pure mycellium capsules."  Hopefully the substrate is minimal.

Then there is Greg Marley, a medicinal mushroom expert in Maine.  He harvests on his land and in the woods of main, and brews his own tinctures.  You can get his contact information here:

http://www.getrealma...ealer&locID=550

You have to call write or email to order.  The Lions Mane should have been just harvested this time of year.

He makes and sells tinctures of Chaga, Lion's mane, maitake, et al.  These are from the mushroom bodies, not mycelia likemost commercially grown products. 

#5 Real Mushrooms

• 101 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:38 PM

Nothing mycelium on grain can be considered "pure".

• Agree x 1

#6 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:36 AM

Nothing mycelium on grain can be considered "pure".

Tell it to Paul Stamets.

The mycellia are subject to an alcohol extraction, which removes the active ingredients, leaving the brown rice substrate behind. The extract is then dried by evaporation.  Whether the mycellium extract is of the same quality as an extract from the fruiting body is a valid point.  I believe the in vitro studies showing stimulation of nerve growth by lions mane, were done with mycellial extracts.  I'd have to get the papers and go over the methods and materials sections to be sure.

Edited by maxwatt, 04 November 2015 - 03:48 AM.

#7 Real Mushrooms

• 101 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:51 PM

Lions Mane mycelium studies, typically done looking at the erinacines, are done using liquid fermentation as is just about every other mycelium study. Read the studies closely. If you have one using mycelium on grain, I'd love to see it.

Liquid fermentation of mycelium is completely different from mycelium on grain. Apples to oranges. One being a pure mycelium, the other being starch heavy with residual grain.

Can you link where it talks about the alcohol extract? I like to read more about that. 

#8 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 01:23 AM

I got the information from a lecture at the Carey Institute.  Can't give a link.  But if you email Stamets at fungi.com he's pretty open about what he does.

#9 Real Mushrooms

• 101 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:39 AM

Ya I've read their literature and other than their tinctures, I haven't seen anywhere where it talks about alcohol extraction and grain removal. It always talks about "freeze-dried" or "steam extracted". Plus if you just do an alcohol extraction, you would leave behind much of the beta-glucans because they are water soluble so it doesn't really make any sense.

I've grown mycelium on grain and I can't see how you would remove the grain. In the event that you could, the process would likely be expensive and it would also increase the amount of materials you needed drastically as much of the product is residual grain. 

As can be seen from the tests Nammex did on mycelium on grain products (http://www.nammex.co...inal-mushrooms/), the starch numbers are very high.

• Agree x 1

#10 Guilty Spark

• 7 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:23 AM

I'm very interested in taking lion's mane myself so I figured I would revive this thread. I noticed a company called Organic Mushroom Nutrition has "Fermented" printed on the front of the package but it is also says "Lion's Mane (Hericium Erinaceus) mycelial biomass powder cultured on organic oats." I don't know much about extractions but this seems contradictory to me. Can lion's mane be both cultured on oats and fermented at the same time?

#11 Real Mushrooms

• 101 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:47 PM

Can lion's mane be both cultured on oats and fermented at the same time?

I'm not sure how it can be called "fermented" but I'd love to know their reasoning. I guess because they use solid state fermentation to grow the mycelium but this is much different than what a typical consumers considers fermented (like sauerkraut).

Note this product is the mycelium grown on oats. The product consists of mycelium and oats. There are no mushrooms in the product and no indications of extraction.

#12 EFTANG

• 115 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:00 PM

I'm very interested in taking lion's mane myself so I figured I would revive this thread. I noticed a company called Organic Mushroom Nutrition has "Fermented" printed on the front of the package but it is also says "Lion's Mane (Hericium Erinaceus) mycelial biomass powder cultured on organic oats." I don't know much about extractions but this seems contradictory to me. Can lion's mane be both cultured on oats and fermented at the same time?

Have a look at this blog post for more background.  Biomass is a non-extracted mass of mycelium and residue substrate, which can be up to 80% (!) of starch. The bioavailability will be low and so is the therapeutic potential. Poor value for money, but cheap to buy, usually.

#13 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:03 AM

i was wondering, with all the starch and polysaccharides left over from growing on grain, wouldnt that be good prebiotic for bacteria and therefore still unlock healthy potential of such mushrooms?

also, this site doesnt seem to sell any lions mane http://www.mycolivia.com/ but they sell all the others and i asked this in another thread but im not sure if anyone saw it, ill ask again if they have reliability at all

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#14 Real Mushrooms

• 101 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:23 PM

i was wondering, with all the starch and polysaccharides left over from growing on grain, wouldnt that be good prebiotic for bacteria and therefore still unlock healthy potential of such mushrooms?

Save your money and buy grain. It's cheaper.

Remember it's mycelium growing on grain where the issue is, not mushrooms. Mushrooms can be harvested without any residual substrate.
  • Informative x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lions mane, mushroom, mycelium, cognitive enhancer, ngf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users