The MAOI thread - Parnate/Nardil

maoi parnate nardil

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jaiho

• 521 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:58 PM

So who here has is on an irreversible MAOI?

I'm a few days into 40MG Parnate with 75mg Nortiprtyline.

For those of us with Anhedonia this is promising as it increases dopamine in areas linked to Anhedonia, the limbic, nucleus accumbens, and the augmentation of Nortriptyline increases dopamine in the PFC, as well as potent NRI action

which blocks the tyramine diet requirement.

Source:

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/7931221

Reboxetine prevents the tranylcypromine-induced increase in tyramine levels in rat heart.

This study aimed to examine whether the increase in heart radioactivity levels after intravenous injection of 14C-tyramine to rats pretreated with the irreversible MAO inhibitor tranylcypromine could be antagonized by reboxetine, a potent and selective noradrenaline uptake blocker. Reboxetine was found totally to abolish the effect of tranylcypromine. Heart radioactivity levels after reboxetine and tranylcypromine were very similar to those found when tyramine was injected after reboxetine only. These results suggest that reboxetine might be advantageously combined with tranylcypromine, or any MAO inhibitor, in depressed patients unresponsive of either treatment given alone.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/10881043

Tranylcypromine, but not moclobemide, prolongs the inhibitory action of dopamine on midbrain dopaminergic neurons: an in vitro electrophysiological study.

The degradation of dopamine by monoamine oxidase (MAO) enzymes plays an important role in the function of dopamine receptors in the central nervous system. Accordingly, it has already been reported that the blockade of MAO by specific inhibitors prolongs the effects of dopamine on its receptors. By using intracellular electrophysiological recordings, here we report that the irreversible MAO A and B inhibitor tranylcypromine, but not the reversible MAO A inhibitor moclobemide, potentiates DA responses in rat midbrain dopaminergic neurones maintained in vitro. Moclobemide was not effective even when the MAO B enzymes were additionally blocked by the MAOI deprenyl. Thus, our electrophysiological findings confirm that the degradation DA is very important to control the effects of this catecholamine at a cellular level. Furthermore, they demonstrate that tranylcypromine potentiates DA neurotransmission while moclobemide is devoid of dopaminergic action in an in vitro condition. The phenomena reported above support the hypothesis that part of the antidepressant and antiparkinsonian effects of tranylcypromine depend on an action on DA transmission.

Interestingly, Tranylcypromine (Parnate) increases DA transmission more than even Selegiline, which i found unpleasant when i tried it.

I'm quite surprised to have minimal side effects with this combo. It feels clean and not druggy. Less so than SSRIs, and these are old drugs.

The initial effect which im told will go away, is the afternoon fatigue, and sexual side effects.

Any other experiences?

Edited by jaiho, 03 November 2015 - 10:58 PM.

#2 Propagandist

• 16 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:36 AM

Nardil 3 years with good results, still geting bit lethargic, looking to sort that out
So far like 10 years of trial and error Nardil is the best one hands down, Phenibuts and all that stuff is just for shortwile, and tolerance also Nardil does not seem to have this issue iv read people taking it 20 years with no problems.
Obv still u need to exercize, supplements like natural stacks performace stack seems to be moust effective ones i tried in years, exept they dont have curcumin in that stack but u can buy it seperate.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Blake Thacker

• 11 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:50 AM

Do you know if the MAOI Parnate can cause PSSD at all? or are MAOI's free from this side effect as a whole?

#4 Shai Hulud

• 105 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:20 AM

Do you know if the MAOI Parnate can cause PSSD at all? or are MAOI's free from this side effect as a whole?

Parnate has generally less side effects regarding sexuality than SSRIs. It seems for many it even makes it better (of course it's often already a problem for depressed people even without drugs).

Nardil is more prone to side effects, also sexuality-related, than Parnate. 

I've had different experiences with Nardil. When I first tried it, it boosted my libido. On the other hand it diminished genital sensitivity.

At some point, depending on how long I took it and at what dose, orgasm became impossible or close to it.

I don't get this side anymore, as I'm pulsing it now (taking it every 2nd day). 

What helped back then (found this out by accident) was Piracetam. While it treated anorgasmia, it also made me more irritable (generally, not sexually). I remember reading somewhere that an acute dose of an 5ht2a antagonist should help with anorgasmia from serotonergic medications, but don't know if it really works.

#5 Junipersun

• 70 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:43 PM

I'm on Parnate 40mg and I will increase my dose up to 90mg if necessary. After full mao-inhibition is reached, it has some additional pharmacologic properties that may be of benefit. I'm also taking Memantine to prevent tolerance.

#6 Bukujutsu

• 92 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:10 AM

I desperately need to go back on Nardil (I was taken off cold turkey for such a stupid reason, that goddamn bitch). I've dug up a ton of papers about its fascinating properties. Unfortunately, it's difficult to get prescribed and I  really wish there was a group buy or lab that synthesized it.

#7 Kabb

• 77 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:15 PM

Years ago I took Parnate and found it valuable.  I'm not exactly sure specifically what it was treating in me but it seemed to help with dysthymia.  I formed the vague impression that its slight stimulant effect was due to its molecular similarity to amphetamine although I don't believe this has been proven to be clinically significant.

I got up to about 80mg Parnate which is relatively high and I controlled possible tyramine flares using only diet.  Nortriptyline, even at 10mg, gives me too many anticholinergic effects and I would never take it because it would dull my cognition too much.

It took me weeks to adapt to Parnate dose increases.  I think I had to start on 20mg.  Your first few days are too early to determine much about it although if you get adverse effects then maybe your doc would consider lowering the dose until you have adapted to it before increasing it again.

I recall some problem with a new supplier's manufacturing process (this was 10 to 15 years ago) which some people claimed produced clinically less effective Parnate.  

All in all, it was great but I'm glad I got off it and wouldn't take it again unless I really needed it.

Edited by Kabb, 09 May 2017 - 02:17 PM.

#8 focus83

• 216 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:30 PM

I'm back on Tranylcypromine since four days, starting very low at 15mg. I first used it two years ago. It was without a doubt the best antidepressant I've ever taken. Fantastic mood, great libido boost, improved cognition. But then after 6 weeks or so insense overstimulation set it and I became very anxious, panicky and aggressive. Had to quit. I couldn't even tolerate 10mg every other day any longer.

I know this time around the same effects will likely occur after some weeks. But I needed a quick and powerful antidepressive effect after almost two years of continuous depression have worn me out badly.

Nardil isn't available where I live, but, fornunately, I managed to convince my doctor with a long and emotional letter that, if all else fails, she would get me Nardil imported from the UK or US.

I selfmedicated with Nardil before when I managed to get some without a prescription from a UK online pharmacy. It's a powerful antidepressant and an even more powerful anxiolytic. Hands down the strongest anxiolytic substance I have ever taken. Even superior to benzos! This could be my livesaver one day if its effects will last.

#9 Deaden

• 232 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:28 PM

So does Nardil work for anhedonia? (Inability to feel pleasure/emotions) .  And how well? I've been prescribed Nardil recently but also got t my hands nsi-189, I don't know which to try first.

Edited by Deaden, 14 May 2017 - 06:28 PM.

#10 focus83

• 216 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:47 PM

I don't suffer from anhedonia, so I can't comment on that from personal experience. But I suppose MAO inhibitors should help with anhedonia through elevation of dopamine amongst other things. They work across a very wide range of psychiatric disorders and it would be foolish to not at least give them a try. With that being said, I would give NSI-189 a shot first though. It has a very benign side effects profile from what we know so far. It doesn't have the dietary restrictions and multitude of serious drug interactions of the MAOIs. So, if you feel comfortable using a research chemical without supervision by a doctor, I would go with NSI-189 for now.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:04 AM

I'm on 20mg Parnate (Tracydal from Daleco pharma). 

Because they come in a large package, I always have 90 x 20mg a month left.

If someone is interested in running a trial, PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users