• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

What adaptogenic herbs and/or drugs for situational anxiety and social anxiety?

sad gad social anxeity stress cortisol supplements

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 birthdaysuit

• 299 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:43 PM

Some I’m interested in: 

Taurine - Could prolonged use lead to GABA receptor down regulation?

Not sure if I would respond well to NMDA antagonists, however, I suffer from intrusive thoughts and a racing mind, which oftentimes keeps me up at night. Could this be associated with glutamate and NMDA? 

Magnesium Taurate  

Magnesium Citrate 

Magnesium Glycinate - Wouldn’t the glycine be counterproductive as it agonizes NMDA receptors, whereas magnesium antagonizes? I’ve tried this form of mag. for a little over a week and it made me lethargic and my thinking process seemed to decline.

or any other form of mag? 

L-theanine - Experimented with this for a little over a month, I will be posting a log about my experiences soon. In supplemental form 200mg or higher I experienced an exasperation of my anxiety, especially  in social situations. This often caused feelings of detachment and derealization.

Drinking Sencha Green Tea, which contains lower amounts of L-theanine helped to calm me down only after prolonged use. However, I am very sensitive to simulates such as caffeine, which oftentimes exasperates my OCD and anxiety. A 2:1 ratio of L-theanine and caffeine minimizes jitters, however, my OCD still flares up. Hence, I’m reluctant to drink Sencha in social situations. Only high dosages of Myo-inostiol (12-18g) relieves my OCD, the downside is that it causes brain fog and severe short-term memory loss. 

Rhodiola Rosea - Been cycling this on and off. Definetely helps with over-wellbeing and fatigue. However, i’ve noticed increased sweating and inflated 'fight or flight' symptoms in social situations. Could this be because of epinephrine?

Picamilon?

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#2 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:16 AM

Try Ashwagandha, I had some luck with that.

Also try Magnolia Bark and Lemon Balm combo.

Large doses of Inositol if you can stomach them.

For me, nothing comes close to Tianeptine.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 birthdaysuit

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 02:45 AM

Try Ashwagandha, I had some luck with that.

Also try Magnolia Bark and Lemon Balm combo.

Large doses of Inositol if you can stomach them.

For me, nothing comes close to Tianeptine.

I’m reading about Tianeptine and it seems to be very promising. Apparently, it indirectly affects glutamate receptor activity (NMDA receptors as well as AMOA receptors), balances the HPA axis (the fight or flight system of the brain), something that I experiences to an extensive degree, often in mundane situations. In animal models, tianeptine inhibits the pathological stress-induced changes in glutamatergic neurotransmission in the amygdala and hippocampus. It may also facilitate signal transduction at the CA3 commissural associational synapse by altering the phosphorylation state of glutamate receptors. It also realizes BDNF, which affects neural plasticity. 

It doesn’t act as a sedative and is not anticholinergic. Recent studies show that it is anticonvulsant, analgesic, due to agonistic activate at the u-opiod and o-opiod receptors, with little effect at k-opid receptors as well as downstream modulation of adenosine A1 receptors. I suffer from muscle and joint pain so this could help!  However, I'm still concerned about tolerance and withdrawal issues. 

I panic a lot in social situations and I’ve been reading some studies over the past few days indicating that it is useful in treating panic disorder. 

"Apparently, recent review found that it was amongst the antidepressants most prone to causing hepatotoxicity (liver damage), although the evidence to support this concern was of limited quality.”---

"Antidepressant-induced liver injury: a review for clinicians.". The American Journal of Psychiatry171 (4): 404–15

I’m still weary on if I should try it, on paper it sounds awesome but in practice I’ve seen many mixed reviews. 

Edited by birthdaysuit, 07 November 2015 - 02:46 AM.

#4 IWS

• 25 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:48 PM

Have you ever tried propranolol.

#5 birthdaysuit

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:23 PM

Have you ever tried propranolol.

Its a beta blocker, does it have any severe side effects. Beta blockers would definitely help with flight or flight response. 

#6 IWS

• 25 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:00 AM

Yes it has (side effects) as any drug, from low libido/impotence on the long term to bradycardia on high dosage and others so be sure to read about them, increases potassium levels etc., but if taken in low dosage (starting from 10mg) and sporadically just when needed is well tolerated. Usually peak is after 2/3 hours you took it. Not all beta blockers have this effect, propranolol is one of the few drugs which are really effective for panic attacks, it's just like turning on/off a switch.

• like x 1

#7 birthdaysuit

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:14 AM

Yes it has (side effects) as any drug, from low libido/impotence on the long term to bradycardia on high dosage and others so be sure to read about them, increases potassium levels etc., but if taken in low dosage (starting from 10mg) and sporadically just when needed is well tolerated. Usually peak is after 2/3 hours you took it. Not all beta blockers have this effect, propranolol is one of the few drugs which are really effective for panic attacks, it's just like turning on/off a switch.

So what would be the safest drug to suppress the onset of fight or flight? Something that suppresses norepinephrine and/or an overactive amygdala. Wouldn’t propranolol will mainly suppress the physical symptoms of anxiety, but doesn't do much for the mental aspect.

​I’ve heard good things about passionflower, although it might be a GABA agonist. I’ve been told to start with a b-complex, and see if that makes me feel any better. Myo-inostiol, works the best and rids of all my panic, however, it dramatically affects my short term memory, more so than smoking cannabis, which I am not fond of.  

I’m also going to try to reduce my dairy intake, see if that will help. Alcohol helps my social anxiety the most, however, t can’t be a longterm option.

I’ve heard good things about daily Creatine use and D-Cycloserine

#8 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:17 PM

Adaptogens are actually not great for anxiety. They function as stimulants and uppers a lot of the time.

The best Nootropics for social anxiety are Phenibut, L-Theanine, Kratom

• Unfriendly x 1
  • Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 birthdaysuit

• Topic Starter
  • 299 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:41 AM

Adaptogens are actually not great for anxiety. They function as stimulants and uppers a lot of the time.

The best Nootropics for social anxiety are Phenibut, L-Theanine, Kratom

L-theanine calmed me down but did absolutely nothing for my anxiety. In many cases, It made me feel worse. Kratom is suppose to be amazing for anxiety but I’m afraid to take that or phenibut because of withdraws upon prolonged use. 

I have cold feet and hands, it seems like only one half of my body is getting oxygen or something. After taking rhodiola rosea for two weeks my vision was clearer, my mood was more positive, I was more motivated, I wanted to exercise, my anxiety was slightly reduced and my brain fog was gone. Maybe my anxiety is dopaminergic? When I take drugs that increase serotonin, things like myo-inositol, it completely thwarts anxiety and panic but I am left in a stupor, unable to think or concentrate. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sad, gad, social anxeity, stress, cortisol, supplements

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users