• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Lessons from failed Tianeptine for depression?

tianpetine depression

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 xxxxxxxx

• 41 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:47 PM

My main issues are anhedonia and cognitive impairment. This was not a result of psych meds, noots or drugs, just natural depression.

I took 2.5 weeks of tianeptine, which worsened my detachment and insomnia. Would it be futile to try other glutamatergics like memantine or riluzole? What does the failure of tianeptine tell me about the nature of my condition or natural function of my brain?

Also, I'm looking for a permanent solution, not something to help my symptoms (which often happens at the expense of future mental health). Otherwise I'd just do crack!

#2 chemicalambrosia

• 393 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:18 PM

Would it be futile to try other glutamatergics like memantine or riluzole?

No, but neither of those are really anti-depressants. You should try common and well researched anti-depressants(Perika St. John's wort, Lexapro, etc).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:52 PM

Don't assume your response to one type of drug will be anywhere near another similar drug.

I had vastly different responses to Lexapro, Prozac, and Zoloft.

Also, Tianeptine is classified as a "novel" tricyclic, so nothing like SSRi's.

Good luck, I'm sorry you didn't have a better response to Tianeptine.  I love the stuff.  My only issue is I can't get a prescription in the States and I don't like redosing 3x daily.  I thought Tianeptine Sulfate would be a solution, but despite an initially positive reaction (placebo? Who knows.)  I find the salt much more "powerful."

#4 xxxxxxxx

• Topic Starter
  • 41 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:25 PM

I feel like I might somehow have UNDERactive glutamate activity. I know we can't pin down symptoms to specific brain chemicals, their receptors, or even specific regions, but still...

I felt more anhedonic while mildly drunk on alcohol (no, I don't drink often) then fantastic while hung over. 

#5 Londonscouser

• 94 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:38 PM

I feel like I might somehow have UNDERactive glutamate activity. I know we can't pin down symptoms to specific brain chemicals, their receptors, or even specific regions, but still...

I felt more anhedonic while mildly drunk on alcohol (no, I don't drink often) then fantastic while hung over. 

are you saying you felt almost normal whilst hung-over ?

I read a thread on this forum not to long ago about a person stating that exact same thing.

Try and find it, because im 95% sure he figured out a solution

#6 drg

• 332 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:47 PM

Nah failure of tiantiapine doesn't mean much, its 90% trial an error, but go ahead and deduce away that 10%

riluzole is quite expensive but worth trying, not well researched but I think has decent evidence of efficacy 
nsi-189 is the greatest thing since bagged bread
Vortioxetine if you want something down the same tried and proven to make a ton of money for big pharma way of treating depression ie increase serotinin, I mean shrooms does it so why can't we find a way that doesn't have huge tolerance

#7 Shai Hulud

• 105 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:27 AM

It's hard to know. I've had a boatload of these hypotheses for myself and quite often things wouldn't turn out as expected.

It is also entirely possible that one  not working antidepressant still  changes your brain in a way that the next one works, while it hadn't worked if you took it first (so that would be pretty extreme).

Now, I don't know what you tried, but if you didn't try all the other regular stuff, then maybe you should. 

These are not perfect, but something will most likely work and you'll get pharma grade stuff.

If you still want to experiment, you could try ketamine. Just take care you don't just get high.

Edit: Try mirtazapine for the imsomnia. You will be spaced out for the first few days, but after around 10 days this won't be a problem anymore.

Edited by life backwards, 15 November 2015 - 12:29 AM.

#8 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:58 PM

Also, Tianeptine is classified as a "novel" tricyclic, so nothing like SSRi's.

Tianeptine also apparently acts as an opioid, which may explain its rapid antidepressant effect in many people but subsequent lack of sustained benefit. 

• Informative x 1

#9 Sleepdealer

• 144 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:04 PM

I believe you should be reading this thread then. http://www.longecity...ohol-hangovers/

The guy experienced the exact same thing. He found out he had a mutation in the MTHFR gene, causing trouble with the methylation of folic acid. So he bought some methylfolate (MTHF) to supplement with and that basically cured him of these problems. Or have you already tried that?

#10 drg

• 332 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:48 PM

check out:

Arginine Pyroglutamate Lysine

#11 xxxxxxxx

• Topic Starter
  • 41 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:51 PM

I've been tested for every vitamin deficiency known to man and have come up clean. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#12 Shai Hulud

• 105 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:39 PM

What else have you tried?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tianpetine, depression

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users