#1 lemon_

• Validating/Suspended
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:08 PM

Take these supplements prior to alcohol consumption or before going to bed:

These supplements can be taken regularly:

Source:
http://www.lifeexten...ention/page-les

Vitamin C. Vitamin C is one of the essential nutrients depleted by alcohol consumption (Hancock 2005). Because it is the body's primary water-soluble dietary antioxidant, this depletion results in severe oxidative stress in daily drinkers (Masalkar 2005). Vitamin C is also an essential co-factor for many enzymes, and its depletion lowers levels of internally produced antioxidant enzymes such as superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase, and glutathione peroxidase (Zhou 2001). Low levels of these antioxidants may be associated with increased rates of cancers in humans, whether or not they consume alcohol (Devasagayam 2004).

Vitamin B1. Thiamine (vitamin B1) is an essential water-soluble vitamin. Thiamine deficiency can cause lethargy, fatigue, apathy, impaired awareness, loss of equilibrium, disorientation, memory loss, anorexia, muscular weakness, and eventually death (Martin 2003). Alcohol consumption depletes thiamine and produces the same symptoms as non-alcoholic thiamine deficiency (Betrosian 2004). Thiamine deficiency damages brain cells and other nerve cells throughout the body. Thiamine deficiency—rather than the toxic effects of ethanol—has been proposed as the primary cause of cerebellar degeneration in alcoholics (Maschke 2005).

Garlic extract (S-allyl-cysteine). Because the heavy consumption of alcohol produces many deleterious effects within the body, including an increased risk of cancer, liver disease, and neurological disease, it is suggested that hangover-prevention ingredients such as garlic be taken any time alcohol is consumed. Garlic contains S-allyl-cysteine, a neutralizer of acetaldehyde.

S-allyl-cysteine scavenges free radicals and reduces oxidative stress (Perez-Severiano 2004; Maldonado 2003). In experimental animal models, S-allyl-cysteine helped protect the nervous system from neurotoxins and the kidneys against damage from reactive oxygen species (Perez-Severiano 2004; Maldonado 2003).

Vitamin E. Brain and liver cells contain the lion's share of lipids among the body's organs, and lipid peroxidation rates are highest in the brain and liver due to their fat content. Accordingly, vitamin E content is also highest in these organs.

Nature has tailored vitamin E to block the peroxidation process, thus explaining its concentration in these two organs and its depletion by alcoholism and cirrhosis (Zhou 2001; Prakash 2004; Gutteridge 1978). Vitamin E is an essential nutrient that may prevent damage caused by alcohol in the brain and liver (Waluga 2003; Mansouri 2001). As such, it is a supplement that should always be taken by those who consume alcohol.

Selenium. In humans, low selenium status is associated with increased risk of colon cancer (Ferguson 2004a). Selenium levels tend to be reduced in people who drink alcohol regularly (Dey Sarkar 2007). That is especially concerning because selenium deficiency is a major risk factor for liver cancer; conversely, people with the highest levels of selenium in their tissues have a 50% reduction in their risk of this cancer (Sakoda 2005).

Glutathione. Oxidative stress combined with acetaldehyde causes a profound impairment of the body's natural antioxidant systems, by depleting stores of a compound called glutathione (McKillop 2005). Restoring cellular healthy glutathione levels, therefore, seems to be a natural strategy to prevent alcohol-related cancers.

Glutathione, one of the body's most important natural antioxidants, plays a key role in alcohol detoxification. In the liver, glutathione binds to toxins and transforms them into compounds that can be excreted in the bile or urine. The liver's supply of glutathione may be exhausted by binding to carcinogens produced during alcohol detoxification by the liver. The direct conjugation of acetaldehyde and glutathione has been observed in acute models of alcohol ingestion. When depleted by chronic alcohol ingestion, glutathione becomes unavailable for ordinary regulatory processes.

These findings should not surprise anyone who understands that the ingestion of alcohol inflicts massive free-radical damage throughout the body. When a person is exposed to a known toxic substance (such as alcohol), it makes sense to take an antidote (antioxidants) to provide at least partial protection against the short-term (hangover) and long-term (degenerative disease) effects.

Other Nutraceuticals

N-acetyl cysteine. N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) powerfully replenishes glutathione levels in tissues, helping to fend off the consequences of acute oxidative stress (Pascale 1989; Novitskiy 2006). Rats supplemented with NAC prior to treatment with acetaldehyde are potently protected against toxicity and death; the effect is even more powerful when combined with vitamin C and thiamine (Novitskiy 2006). Independently, NAC binds acetaldehyde directly, further preventing its damaging effects (Vasdev 1995).

Chlorophyllin. Chlorophyllin is a water-soluble form of the green plant pigment chlorophyll (Egner 2003; Egner 2001). It has been evaluated as a chemopreventive agent in populations at high risk for liver cancer, one of the most common tumors known, and one that is frequently caused by ingested toxins (Egner 2003; Egner 2001; Kensler 2004). Chlorophyllin is a large molecule thought to bind to many carcinogens and toxins, enhancing their excretion from the body before they damage DNA (Kensler 2004; Ferguson 2004b). Binding to toxins in the intestine prevents their uptake, further reducing their cancer-producing effects (Kensler 2004). Chlorophyllin also induces important enzymes that protect against oxidants arising from toxins such as acetaldehyde, while also reducing expression of inflammatory mediators (Fahey 2005; Yun 2005).

Grape Seed extract. Extracts of grape seeds are known to be powerful antioxidants with health benefits for many tissues. In both animal and human studies, these extracts reduce markers of oxidative damage and enhance natural antioxidant mechanisms to protect cells and DNA from injury (Simonetti 2002; Fan 2004; Llopiz 2004; Lu 2004; Busserolles 2006). Grape seed extracts have been shown to prevent alcohol-induced oxidative damage in all tissues examined in animal studies (El-Ashmawy 2007; Guo 2007). These extracts are highly bioavailable in humans, making them especially appealing in combating the cancer-causing effects of alcohol (Sano 2003; Ward 2004).

L-theanine. L-theanine is a non-protein amino acid found exclusively in green tea (Vuong 2011; Nathan 2006). It contributes significantly to the favorable taste of green tea and has numerous health-promoting benefits (Vuong 2011). Research from Japan shows that theanine is a powerful antidote to the effects of alcohol. If theanine is given to mice before or after they drink alcohol, it significantly lowers blood levels of alcohol (Sadzuka 2005). It works by modulating alcohol chemistry.

Theanine accelerates the breakdown of acetaldehyde and blocks toxic radicals (Sadzuka 2005). The remarkable powers of theanine to intercept free radicals were demonstrated in the same study. It blocked radicals caused by alcohol and suppressed levels to below normal for five hours. Theanine also helps to counteract the alcohol-induced loss of glutathione (Sadzuka 2005).

S-Adenosylmethionine (SAMe). As has already been discussed, supplementing with the right antioxidants while consuming ethanol significantly reduces consequences of these free radicals throughout the body. SAMe has additional value because, like NAC, it helps restore depleted glutathione in alcohol-damaged cells, providing additional antioxidant protection (Holguin 1998; Powell 2010).

Ethanol also depresses an enzyme required to convert methionine into S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe) (Mato 1994), resulting in a deficiency of SAMe. Alcohol-induced depletion of SAMe can be overcome by SAMe supplementation which restores hepatic SAMe levels (Lieber 1997; 2000a; 2000b; 2000c).

Supplementation with SAMe may help support healthy liver function. For those who cannot afford SAMe, supplementation with trimethylglycine (TMG, also known as glycine betaine), folic acid, and vitamin B12 could help the liver to synthesize SAMe.

Probiotics. One reason that 30% of alcoholics develop cirrhosis may be a leaky gastrointestinal system. According to research (Keshavarzian 1999), another factor might be a gut-derived endotoxin. This would suggest that the use of probiotic substances might aid in the prevention of cirrhosis or other liver damage. Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that help to recolonize the intestinal tract. Intestinal flora (bacteria) help our digestive system absorb nutrients and act as a protective barrier in keeping toxins out. Along with taking a probiotic formula, a supplement to nourish intestinal flora such as fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS) is suggested. FOS helps reduce the formation of toxic liver metabolites and therefore is beneficial to people with chronic liver problems.

Magnesium. Chronic alcohol consumption can constrict arteries in the brain and lead to neurological deficit (Thomson 1988). Daily supplementation could help keep cerebral blood vessels open by blocking excess infiltration of calcium into endothelial cells.

Milk thistle extracts: Silymarin and Silibinin. Silymarin is a compound extracted from the milk thistle plant. It has long been used to improve liver health and enhance excretion of toxins, particularly those that are related to alcohol toxicity. Silymarin is a powerful antioxidant and protects DNA from cancer-inducing damage, especially in alcohol-induced liver disease (Ha 2010; Feher 2008). It inhibits conversion of ethanol to acetaldehyde and reduces cell proliferation in laboratory models of liver cancer (Brandon-Warner 2010).

Those who drink routinely might consider taking a special milk thistle extract called silibinin, which may have a protective effect on the liver (Flora 1998). Clinical evidence supports silibinin for alcohol-induced cirrhosis (Saller 2008; Ferenci 1989). Silibinin is the most active constituent of silymarin. In Germany, silibinin is sold as a drug to treat liver diseases.

Picrorhiza. Picrorhiza kurroa is a member of the figwort family, with a long history of use in traditional south Asian medical systems ((Rajkumar 2011). Picrorhiza extracts given to laboratory animals following chronic alcohol ingestion reverse most of the deleterious biochemical changes induced by alcohol (Rastogi 1996; Saraswat 1999). A powerful antioxidant (Rajkumar 2011), picrorhiza also has specific anti-cancer effects, inhibiting toxin-induced cancer generation and increasing life span of tumor-afflicted animals (Rajeshkumar 2000; Rajeshkumar 2001).

Polyenylphosphatidylcholine (PPC). PPC, also referred to as polyenylphosphatidylcholine, is a fat-soluble nutrient with many health-promoting benefits. These include protecting the liver, sustaining cardiovascular health, and supporting nervous system and gastrointestinal function. Dietary sources of PPC include soybeans, liver, oatmeal, cabbage, cauliflower, egg yolk, meat, and vegetables.

For those who consume large amounts of alcohol (i.e., binge drinkers), PPC supplementation is recommended prior to alcohol consumption. The administration of PPC has been shown to provide significant protection against certain forms of alcohol-induced liver injury in animals via several unique mechanisms (Aleynik 1999; Lieber 1997; 2000a; 2000b; 2000c). PPC also reduces gastric irritation (Anand 1999).

In a study in mice, alcohol administration induced numerous changes, depleting the liver-supportive nutrients S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe) and glutathione, as well as increasing lipid peroxidation. PPC protected against these effects, restoring levels of SAMe and glutathione, and relieving oxidative stress in the liver (Aleynik 2003).

In a study of baboons, PPC helped to prevent alcohol-induced cirrhosis. PPC also helped to prevent two common detrimental effects of alcohol: the formation of fatty liver and the elevation of blood lipid levels (Navder 1997). In a human study, investigators examined the effects of PPC on heavy alcohol drinkers. While PPC treatment for two years did not affect the progression of liver fibrosis, it did promote favorable changes in blood levels of bilirubin (a liver-produced waste product) and liver transaminases (enzymes that are elevated by liver damage) (Lieber 2003).

http://www.lifeexten...vention/page-02

+REP ME IF IT HELPED 

Edited by lemon_, 09 November 2015 - 06:08 PM.

• Informative x 2

#2 Nuke

• 125 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 November 2015 - 08:21 PM

You are missing the most important one - Water. Biggest reason for having a hangover is dehydration. 

But good list anyway. In my drinking days I drank a lot of vitaminC and Milk thistle to minimize the damage.

• Good Point x 1
  • Disagree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:08 PM

You are missing the most important one - Water. Biggest reason for having a hangover is dehydration. 

But good list anyway. In my drinking days I drank a lot of vitaminC and Milk thistle to minimize the damage.

I agree.  I also find coconut water to work great for this.  16oz before bed, and another 16oz when I wake up at some point thru the night.

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:27 AM

c60 olive oil before drinking is killer.  It changes the character of the buzz, though, which some people might not like.   +1 on the water.

#5 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:26 AM

c60 olive oil before drinking is killer.  It changes the character of the buzz, though, which some people might not like.   +1 on the water.

Can you elaborate a bit more?  What is your dose, and what do you find the end result to be... a strong prevention against hangover?

#6 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:27 AM

Agreed Niner, c60 radically reduces buzz.

+1 also on water, but would recommend some electrolytes in there as well.

Also....sounds counterintuitive, but don't underestimate "the hair of the dog" as a hangover helper.

#7 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:29 AM

That's an excellent "big picture" review of the alcohol supp's lemon_

I'll personally vouch for SAM-e...  Magical stuff day of the party and morning after too.  

PPC is great liver protection for daily drinkers.  Completely prevented liver disease in studies with alcoholic baboons.  

Points coming your way!  

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#8 spirilla01

• 52 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:17 AM

Sounds interesting, drinking three glasses of Red wine daily. Would it make sense to add Polyenylphosphatidylcholine and cycled or daily in which doses.

thx  :)

#9 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:24 AM

thats a stupid list BECAUSE it has way way too much stuff to take which causes too much confusion if you are already drunk and let alone hangover next day doesnt ease you down any better to make good judgement to take all those dozen of supplements accordingly either. the biggest flaw is, its just way too many that can cost much more than alcohol itself! i mean, is this reasonable?

not sure what niner meant by c60 does by altering alcohol buzz but if one supp can do it, then thats a good idea, not those dozens of pills you gotta pop before, during and/or after. ridiculous!

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • WellResearched x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#10 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:32 AM

Many of those ingredients are already in the Anti-Alcohol Antioxidants from LEF. An excellent product IMO, I throw in some Kyolic Garlic and I'm all set.

#11 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 02:54 AM

thats a stupid list BECAUSE it has way way too much stuff to take which causes too much confusion if you are already drunk and let alone hangover next day doesnt ease you down any better to make good judgement to take all those dozen of supplements accordingly either. the biggest flaw is, its just way too many that can cost much more than alcohol itself! i mean, is this reasonable?

not sure what niner meant by c60 does by altering alcohol buzz but if one supp can do it, then thats a good idea, not those dozens of pills you gotta pop before, during and/or after. ridiculous!

The supp's listed are not an "all or nothing" solution.  Simply mix and match the supp's that apply to your own situation.  Some are good prophylaxis or remedies for hangovers, others for liver disease.  

If you're going on a Vegas vacation and may be getting blotto every night for a few days, SAM-e may be your best bet.  If you enjoy 3 glasses of red every night like spirilla, then the PPC would be a better choice.  If you're Bi-Polar and can't take SAM-e (SAM-e contraindicated with Bi-Polar), then there are other choices for you to ponder. 

A fantastic post for those of us who imbibe.  

Edited by synesthesia, 11 November 2015 - 02:58 AM.

• like x 1

#12 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 03:22 AM

Can you elaborate a bit more?  What is your dose, and what do you find the end result to be... a strong prevention against hangover?

My doses have historically been on the low side; say 0.5 mg/day or thereabouts.  More recently I'm using more like 1-2mg/d.  The effects I see don't seem to vary much with these doses.  There are two different things going on-- one effect is the way alcohol feels when you're using c60.  There is an "anesthetic" component to the alcohol buzz--  you might notice a tight numbness in your face.  This is what goes away.  The behavioral effects (looser, louder, stupider...) still seem to be there.  It's possible that they're attenuated somewhat, and I might just be drinking more to compensate.  The other issue is hangover prevention.  I haven't given this a real rigorous test.  I've drank enough that I should have been a little hung over, and have generally felt pretty good, but it's not like I'm downing a fifth of bourbon.   More like five or six drinks, tops.   For a while I was drinking pretty regularly because it felt like I could get away with it.  I'm not sure that I was really getting off scot-free though.  Lately I've cut back; these days I usually drink once or twice a week, usually a pint or a cocktail, sometimes two.

#13 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:53 AM

Many of those ingredients are already in the Anti-Alcohol Antioxidants from LEF. An excellent product IMO, I throw in some Kyolic Garlic and I'm all set.

kyolic? ive tried dozen of their products and i sense SCAM. kyolic's ingredients never worked as good as lets say the most generic cheap brand out there. their shit is super garbage. before you pick on this, ive tried at least 5 different kyolic brand types for different things and NONE of them worked for me, but cheaper ones containing similar ingredients had more power. still not much power tho, i wanna be clear here, business is about putting less and getting more after all. chance of getting a lot is rare, but blessed be thy lucky who get some that get the job done!

• like x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#14 Strelok

• 370 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:28 PM

For a while I was drinking pretty regularly because it felt like I could get away with it.  I'm not sure that I was really getting off scot-free though.  Lately I've cut back; these days I usually drink once or twice a week, usually a pint or a cocktail, sometimes two.

Thanks for the response.  I can relate, lol, as I've been drinking more often lately thinking the same thing, that I could get away with it. 

#15 PalmAnita

• 97 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:52 AM

Emoxypine (Mexidol etc.) seems to be promising here too. Haven't tried it out yet personally, but there are plenty of reports on reddit. Also helps to avoid the dopamine depletion / rebound when using psychostimulants very probably also by abolishing oxidative stress.

N-acetylcysteine is interesting too. In general, I'd like to have better, less-toxic alternatives available legally to ethanol, but this will remain a dream for at least quite some time.  :mellow:

ANTIOXIDANT MEXIDOL. The main neuropsychotropic effects and the mechanism of action.  

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#16 natasjlp

• 47 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 05:43 AM

These services looks promising: 

http://www.hangoverheaven.com/

http://www.inc.com/j...over-cures.html

http://www.hangoverc...angover-welcome

Entrepreneurial in spirit. I like it. Looks like you may be able to open your own franchise at some point if not already:: http://money.cnn.com...ver-industries/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alcohol, the real

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users