Constant Heavy Drunk/Drugged/Sedated Brain with Dimmed vision and Anhedonia

brainfog dimmed vision anhedonia

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Sephrioth

• 29 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:29 PM

I want to apologize in advance for the long read, but it is very hard for me to accurately describe my current situation. I am desperate since my life has not really been worth living for the last 7 years. I can even accept that I will feel ill the rest of my life. I just want to feel a bit better so that I am able to do the only thing I want to do, create 3D and 2D art. At the moment I can’t. I am just forced to watch my life go by day in and day out, trying to work, exercising, fasting, taking supplement and medication but nothings helps. I am not depressed, I do not have anxiety, this is not psychological. Now I have turned 35 and I know this is my last chance. I truly believe that if I hadn’t gotten ill I could have reached the highest level, even now I think I am at a good level, but I haven’t been able to do much professional work due to this illness. My original education was a degree in IT/Programming which I passed with honors. I think I was and still am quite intelligent. I have always been a very hard working person with a high degree of personal discipline.

I hoped that I would get some improvements in time but I have become worse not better. Sometimes my symptoms improve a small percentage for a few weeks or a month. Then at least I have a chance to force myself to work, however difficult. But afterwards I always collapse back feeling too ill to do anything at all for months. I have been to a lot of doctors and neurologists, had a MRI. I have taken 100+ different supplements, have done all the basic treatments like HITT exercise, intermittent fasting, healthy vegan diet, meditation and have always kept trying to work through it. But there is no lasting improvement. All my energy goes into battling this illness, and very little remains for actually working.

Symptoms

There are no words I can use to describe what I feel and how absolutely horrible it is to someone who has never experienced this. Before I got these symptoms I have personally never felt anything similar or something that would truly illustrate my symptoms. I can only use vague analogies to diffuse brain symptoms like having high fever or being drugged or drunk. (The frequently used term ‘Brain fog’ is far too mild for my symptoms) I constantly (24 hours 7 days a week) feel like I am severely drugged, heavily sedated, not awake. There is hardly any fluctuation in the severity of the symptoms, they vary somewhat from ‘bad’ to almost totally unbearable, but that's it. It feels like I am walking around with a brain that has a very high fever (but without feeling feverish) just the totally ill, zoned out, groggy and drugged feeling, like I haven't slept for days but far worse. Especially the last 7 years have been a living nightmare (literally). There are long periods where I feel so bad that every minute is agony.

I also have extremely darkened/dimmed vision which has become slowly worse over the last seven years. It is very hard to describe how I see everything. My vision is not blurry, I can also still see all the colors but when I look around everything looks sort of dark, yellowish and has strange dark contrast, it's surrealistically bad. It's somewhat comparable to walking from the bright sunlight outside into a dark room, or when you have just looked into a bright light and your eyes still have to adjust, but different and much worse. My vision is also slowed down like my brain can't interpret the images fast enough, like everything is lagging a few frames behind. It is a horrible sensation coupled with my other brain symptoms. Especially in the evening I see everything very dark, sickly, and with a yellowish cast as if it is lit by candlelight or a single fluorescent bulb that still needs to warm up. There is nothing wrong with my eyes, the image processing in my brain is not working correctly. Maybe comparable to someone on drugs or with a high fever). When I feel worse, my dark/dimmed vision also becomes worse. I can’t walk outside, shop, sit in the sun, read, watch a movie or do anything else without feeling ill, drugged and seeing everything strange, dark/dimmed.

I guess another way to describe it is that you could also still force yourself to do everything when you would always have a 40 degree fever and having not slept for days while being drunk. But it would be horrible to do anything. I can still more or less do everything I could before, but it takes so much effort and I feel so bad that it is almost not worth it. I alhaven’t driven a car in 7 years, it would be too dangerous (not that I care about driving). To illustrate it somewhat; I would trade these symptoms for almost any other disease like for example amputated legs or AIDS or worse. If only my brain could feel somewhat better again.

Over the last few years I also have also been battling worsening Anhedonia. I lost the ability to feel much pleasure listening to music, playing games, watching movies or anything else. This is not the cause, but the result of the worsening brain symptoms. The Anhedonia only appeared much later than the other symptoms. The heavy brain and vision symptoms are bad enough but combined with anhedonia it makes it nearly impossible to do anything sustainable. I can’t be creative when I feel nothing, when I don’t even care whether I would make the best art ever. I can’t get inspired anymore. I would always get really inspired by other people’s art, but most of the time I just don’t feel anything now. I still know that this is the only thing I want to do, that I would give everything to do this, I can just not feel it anymore.

Sometimes I have 20-30% emotions for a few weeks/month (mostly at the same time when my other symptoms are slightly better), then I go back to 0%-10% emotions. However bad the constant brain and vision problems, I think I hate the anhedonia even more. The inability to feel much emotion and motivation has taken away my will to fight through these horrible symptoms, and makes me feel defenseless.

Lifestyle

I have always eaten healthy and varied, never smoked and never drank alcohol or used drugs my entire life. I am 1.92m tall and have always had a lean muscular body type with little fat. Since the last 3 years I have tried a very strict calorie restricted Vegan diet, to see if this could help mental clarity. Most of the time I also eat in a 20h fasting 4h eating pattern of intermittent fasting. I believe a strict regime of exercise (HITT), intermittent fasting, meditation and using my brain intensively helps somewhat (maybe 15-20% improvement for a month or two). I exercise about one hour a day broken up in small 5-10 minute sessions. But it puts a lot of strain on me, and after a few months I sort of collapse in unbearable brain fog and apathy which then lasts months. I can never seem to keep any of the improvements once I break down. Besides I still feel 70-75% drugged and horrible even at the best of moments. (I also tried cold showers for months, but they did not seem to do much).

When I don’t fill too ill, I try to work as hard as I can for up to 8 or 9 hours (Which results effectively in about 20-30% of my normal working capacity). It’s like trying to read, learn and work totally drugged, groggy and feeling ill, It feels horrible. Because my symptoms put so much drag on my performance, that most of my energy is lost, I become very tired and eventually collapse again into doing nothing. It feels hopeless. I have no depression and no anxiety, I just feel too ill for that. This is not a dissociative disease like derealization or depersonalization, I have read enough about those to know.

I sleep for 8-10 hours a night. Since my symptoms worsened, I always dream rather vividly and wake up multiple times a night. I almost never used to remember my dreams. Now I have 4 or 5 strange disorderly “fever dreams” every night. I should probably get a sleep study done to determine if my Rem and Deep sleep have been dysregulated. But I have just become too tired of begging doctors for tests.

I have 0% libido, and I honestly don’t care about that either. It’s not Testosterone related either (it didn’t matter if my Testosterone was 4 (too low) or 18 (medium high) in the tests, like it is now). Testosterone does not seem to have any influence on my brain symptoms or anhedonia either. I think I even felt better with lower Testosterone than with higher values, though this can be a coincidence.

Physical symptoms

Three years ago (maybe longer) my physical situation has also deteriorated. I don’t even really care about that though. I have an AV-Heart block type 2 (During the day my heartbeat is about 35-50 beats a minute) At night it drops to 30 or even lower sometimes.) It’s also very irregular, skipping one or two beats in every three. This is quite rare for someone of just 35 years old in good physical condition. I also developed Aplastic anemia: low count of (red, white , blood cells and platelets). My testosterone levels were low but they have somehow restored to normal again. Testosterone is actually on the higher side now. All my other hormones had also dropped (Growth hormone, Thyroid hormone, etc). I have been taking Thyroid Armour (T3, T4) for that. Sometimes I feel weak and tired, tired arms, tired legs.

Medical history

When I was a baby of about 1 year, I fell on my head from the kitchen top (quite a large height). I was unconscious for hours. I could very well have sustained some brain damage from that, though it did not seem to have affected my intelligence or my mental clarity. However, I had emotional problems. Anxiety, depression and attention/concentration problems later in life seem to be higher in people with childhood brain injuries.

During my entire childhood and adolescence, I have had heavy migraines (sometimes multiple times a week), which could not be treated with medication. I also had Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome 2 to 3 times a year. This is a horrible disease with unrelenting unbearable and incapacitating nausea and vomiting every few minutes for almost a week at a time. In an acute episode I was throwing up every few minutes day and night, with almost no sleep, and no relieve. I had to be hospitalized a lot because of dehydration, when I was younger. Doctors were not familiar with this disease, and I did not receive any real treatment. I had to self-diagnose it much later when I was 23 years old and have since taken a 5-HT3 receptor antagonist (Zofran) in the acute phase. Fortunately, only high fever triggers it now. It seems to be related to high levels of melatonin, that is why it is mainly a childhood disease.

I have always had attention problems and problems with overcoming heavy resistance to start working. On the other hand, I have always been a very driven person with a lot of discipline. I had to make myself very angry and I always had to use my own adrenaline to be able to focus and motivate myself. I could not work without it. Unfortunately I didn’t know it was very bad for the brain to be stressed all the time. I feel that I was fighting against myself a lot, which made life difficult.

When I was about 23 years old I was bitten twice by a tick. I didn’t develop a rash. Multiple Lyme tests were inconclusive (with a few positive bands, most not specific) and positive Lyme-PCR. But unfortunately both false-positive and false-negative Lyme PCR test results are common. I have treated a possible Lyme disease when I was about 28 with high dose antibiotics Doxycycline, Amoxicillin and Klacid for about 5 months. I seemed to have some improvement with Amoxicillin, but it was not sustainable once I stopped. This improvement could also have been a coincidence. The other antibiotics did nothing. I still cannot exclude the possibility of Lyme 100%, but it does not seem very likely anymore.

When I was 23 years old I also took Propecia (Finasteride), for hairloss. I was very scared to lose my hair because it was falling out quite rapidly, and early baldness runs in my mother’s family. I had a bad reaction to the drug and quit after a few months (tapered off). The main symptom was a heavy sedated feeling in my forehead, comparable to for example dentist sedation which lasted weeks. After this feeling subsided I had decreased mental clarity and vision problems (only a fraction of what I have now though). A small minority of people seem to develop persistent problems after quitting (see propeciahelp.com). Brain fog, lack of mental clarity, vision problems, and emotional blunting are a few of them. One of the possible theories behind the worsening symptoms after quitting is that suppression of 5AR leads to lower Allopregnanolone, which is a neuroprotective hormone. Less protection against physical and psychological stresses can than result in damage to the brain. But there are multiple other theories involving permanent gene expression changes.

I think my brain might have been more vulnerable to cumulative damage due to changes in neuroprotective hormones and previous sustained physical trauma. One of the strangest periods of worsening was when I did a certain type of exercise. I think this was around 27-28 years old. I used to do very hard air-punches, and this would jolt my neck and head. I didn’t think much of it at the time. And I did not see the connection between sudden periods of worsening symptoms (weeks long heavy sedated feeling in my forehead like a dental sedation) and these exercises. Only later did I read that TBI/concussions can also be the result of non-impact injuries and that the effects worsen in the weeks following the incident. Because of this lag in the symptoms appearing I did not think at the time that these exercises were a probable cause. Only when the symptoms became very bad did I stop. Since then I have only had the episodes of the sedated feeling in my forehead and the worsening of the symptoms after having probable hypoxia during my sleep.

There were only two times years later when the same acute worsening and physical dental-like-sedation feeling in my forehead occurred again. I have always had a deviated septum, and my nose easily blocks when I lay down. One night I dreamed I was suffocating, that I could not get air and I could not wake up either. Only later did I manage to wake, but in the days following the same heavy physically sedated feeling in my forehead returned. During the months after this feeling very slowly disappeared, but the underlying brain and vision symptoms had worsened substantially. A year later this happened again. Since then I have chosen to sleep upright, always take low dose nose drop (alternating left and right). I also always sleep with oxygen saturation meters. The heavy sedated physical sedated feeling in my forehead has never returned, and also not the sudden worsening of my symptoms.  Since then I am stuck feeling between 70% and 95% ill/sedated/drugged (where 100% would be an unlivable almost a comatose state).

NMDA, Dopamine, Noredephirine, GABA

There is probably brain damage on multiple levels and maybe also dysregulation in NMDA, Dopamine, GABA, hormones or gene expression within my brain. My experience with Pregnenolone leads me to believe that at least part of my symptoms are related to NMDA and GABA. It is Likely that my NMDA system (receptors, transporter, enzymes?) have somehow got way out of balance, and that this has resulted in too little neural activity. This could be further complicated by downregulated Norendephirine, Dopamine and upregulated GABA systems and physical brain damage. It’s almost like an inverse anxiety state. Overactive NMDA and underactive GABA leads to anxiety, so the inverse of underactive NMDA and overactive GABA probably leads to feeling, drunk, sedated, drugged and having anhedonia (and being totally devoid of anxiety). Unfortunately, Pregnenolone (though I only used it for a short time) could have made this worse by downregulating NMDA receptors and upregulating GABA receptors, since it is an agonist for NMDA and antagonist for GABA. Memantine could possibly help to reverse some of the NMDA and Dopamine receptor downregulation. But this would probably make me feel even worse.

Current supplements, medication and food

Medication: NSI 189 - 25 days (Phosphate and Freebase) 25-30mg sublingually unfortunately it has done nothing yet but it could take more time). It is just too early to tell. Maybe I should take a higher dose.

Nootropics: (no effect, but I hope they increase BDNF): Noopept, Semax, AM-Semax-Amitide, Selank, Oxiracetam. I still have to try these I have laying on a shelf: Pramiracetam, Amiracetam, Coluracetam. I have tried Piracetam many years ago and it did not help my symptoms.

Supplements: C, B12, D3, B1, Omega3, Resveratrol, Curcuma, Ginkgo, Ginseng, Cordyceps, Q10, TMG, Sam-e, Lions mane, Bacopa, Yohimbine HCI, Phosphatidylserine (low dose to prevent cortisol suppression), P5P, B6, Calcium, Creatine, Rhodiola (cycle 10 days), Acetyl-L-Carnitine, EGCG, Thyroid medication: Armour with T3 and T4, I am trying out low dose DAA sometimes, but am scared for neural toxicity and NMDA downregulation.

Food: Mixed Salads with very little dressing. All sorts of cooked, steamed and baked Vegetables like Onions, Parsley, Leaks, Asparagus, Mushrooms, Paprika, Tomatoes, Beetroot. Fruits Apples, Blueberries, Strawberries, Raspberries, Cranberries. Some nuts and seeds, some raw Cacao. Some sardines. Very little fats, No saturated fats, No milk products, No sugar, Very sparse or no wheat products. I also tried a diet with a lot of red meat/protein a few years ago, and also tried 100% gluten free diet but neither did anything to improve my symptoms.

Previous Supplements / medication (I do not take these at the moment):

Supplements:

Choline: Alpha-GPC, CDP Choline, Uridine, UDP, NAC, (Seemed to work a little bit at first but I believe these made my anhedonia worse and eventually increased my brain symptoms by lowering dopamine. I know choline and uridine supplements can increase Dopamine receptor density.

Other supplements I tried: Piracetam, NAND (sublingually) L-Tyrosine, L-Tryptophan, 5HTP, Mucuna Pruriens, L-Dopa, L-Phenylalanine, Low dose aspirin, DMAE, Vinpocetine, Progesterone creme, DHEA, Copper, Zinc, Iron (low dose), K1, K2, B2, Folic Acid, 5-MTHF, Niacinamide, Inositol, Proline, Biotin, CBD oil, Coconut oil, Licorice, Beta-Glucans and many more I don’t remember.

Pregnenolone: Used this 4-5 years ago for some time, worked very well in the beginning (the best result I have had with anything). About 35-40% improvement. It gave me massive hairloss and acne (I never had acne before). It also gave me headaches. I have used it on and off for a few months spread out of a few years. It gradually worked less well, until it did nothing anymore. I still got the negative side effects like the hairloss and the acne when I tried to take it, but it gave 0% improvement for my symptoms. Pregnenolone seems to act as a NMDA agonist and GABA antagonist. I wanted to correct for the possible hormonal dysregulation caused by Propecia and Pregnenolone seemed neuroprotective. I still do not have the idea Pregnenolone made my symptoms worse. But reading about these NMDA and GABA interactions now makes me wonder, especially since it does not work anymore.

Ritalin: About 4.5 years ago I tried Ritalin for only a few months out of desperation. It did nothing to lift my brain symptoms and vision/perception problems, but it did give me more motivation to work through them. Ritalin made focused and It took away the resistance for working through my symptoms. It felt very mild, not euphoric or anything. Unfortunately, I build up tolerance fast, and even a year later, when I tried it again, it did nothing (no matter the dose). It had dampned my emotions

Coffee does nothing. It does not matter if I drink 8 coffee a day, or none, it has no noticeable effect. Nicotine: tried a few nicotine gums, had no positive effect at all.

Medicines/Nootropics that I could maybe try at some point:

Deprenyl, Rasagiline, Hydergine, Cerebrolysin, Naltraxone , XY-REM, P21, NGF, Memantine, Modafinil, Welbutrin, Strattera, Amoxicillin, DIHEXA, 7,8DHF

I hope someone can help me.

I only want to treat myself, since I have lost hope in doctors and the medical system here. Maybe some doctors in the US are more resourceful, and able to think out of the box.

Edited by Sephrioth, 11 November 2015 - 05:38 PM.

• like x 1

#2 Blackkzeus

• 210 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 November 2015 - 02:24 AM

You write very well for someone who feel severely drunk and out of it. How long did it take you to write this? Sorry, besides taking Piracetam, I have no solutions. I feel the same exact way you do, and the only thing that really helps is Piracetam. 

Piracetam abolishes my brain fog and anhedonia and I'm able to experience life like a normal human being. Have you tried taking Piracetam with a choline supplement. If not, try about 2g of choline bitrate the night before you take Piracetam. That works for me. Or you can even take Alpha GPC, which is a more potent form of choline, it's a bit expensive, which is why I take choline bitrate. 

• Disagree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Sephrioth

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:19 AM

You write very well for someone who feel severely drunk and out of it. How long did it take you to write this? Sorry, besides taking Piracetam, I have no solutions. I feel the same exact way you do, and the only thing that really helps is Piracetam. 

Piracetam abolishes my brain fog and anhedonia and I'm able to experience life like a normal human being. Have you tried taking Piracetam with a choline supplement. If not, try about 2g of choline bitrate the night before you take Piracetam. That works for me. Or you can even take Alpha GPC, which is a more potent form of choline, it's a bit expensive, which is why I take choline bitrate. 

I am still, more or less, able to do everything I could before. I only feel absolutely horrible doing it and it takes much more effort and it takes longer. I have written this text in about a week. Writing a small piece at a time, an.d meticulously reading it many times over. I have also used some parts that I have written years ago. When I would feel normal I could have written it in a matter of hours. 

I have already tried CDP-Choline and Alpha-GPC together with TMG, UDP. They seemed to help a bit (maybe 15%). This could also have been a coincidence. But a month later I began feeling even more horrible again. I tried out Piracetam a long time ago, and it did nothing.

Edited by Sephrioth, 12 November 2015 - 07:29 AM.

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,050 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:21 PM

Maybe get an MRI of your brain. Check to make sure there is no cancer/tumor in the brain or some other rare brain disease.

• Agree x 1

#5 jaiho

• 521 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:41 AM

Have you tried psilocybin? I have the Anhedonia, know the horrid feeling.

Psilocybin will let you see if its depression or a brain injury, in a way.

It also shows you how much Anhedonia is affecting you, it will wipe it away for quite a few hours. The afterglow as someone with Anhedonia / dimmed vision you describe, Psilocybin is magical.

Also, NSI-189 helped me alot, but only the phosphate @ 40mg orally.

Freebase i've had minimal success with

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#6 saf

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:55 AM

Hi, everything you have basically said hit home with me, up until about a month ago. My broadband internet became disconnected due to an issue with my local exchange, and BT had send numerous engineers to fix the problem. My wireless router could not connect to the internet, and I had no connection for 8 days. 

I experienced a complete remission of all my brain fog, and that heavy headed sensation that you have written about in that time period. I noticed it after the first night of having no wifi. I still had 4g access on my mobile so I was not completely disconnected from the web. But something about the wifi signals seemed to be connected to causing me brain fog. 

I now firmly believe I am one of those individuals that may be sensitive to wifi signals being emitted from my router. 

I have since scheduled my router to turn off at 9pm and start again at 9am, daily, and on a few occasions, I completely switch it off, and the difference it has made in my life is dramatic. 

Maybe you could be experiencing something similar? 

• Needs references x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#7 Sephrioth

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:50 AM

Maybe get an MRI of your brain. Check to make sure there is no cancer/tumor in the brain or some other rare brain disease.

I have already had all those tests including MRI.

Have you tried psilocybin? I have the Anhedonia, know the horrid feeling.

Psilocybin will let you see if its depression or a brain injury, in a way.

It also shows you how much Anhedonia is affecting you, it will wipe it away for quite a few hours. The afterglow as someone with Anhedonia / dimmed vision you describe, Psilocybin is magical.

Also, NSI-189 helped me alot, but only the phosphate @ 40mg orally.

Freebase i've had minimal success with

I know 100% for sure it's not depression. The Anhedonia started much later, mainly after I tried Ritalin for a short while out of desperation. Ritalin, being a dopamine agonist, gave me an extra positive mood boost, but it did nothing for the brain or vision problems. I have had down moods and "positive moods" but they frequently do not match up with the severity of my drunk/drugged/sedated head and vision symptoms. Sometimes I even feel more down and the brain symptoms are a bit better. There does not even seem to be much of a correlation, and certainly not a causation cause effect relationship. I appreciate the advice though, thanks!

Hi, everything you have basically said hit home with me, up until about a month ago. My broadband internet became disconnected due to an issue with my local exchange, and BT had send numerous engineers to fix the problem. My wireless router could not connect to the internet, and I had no connection for 8 days. 

I experienced a complete remission of all my brain fog, and that heavy headed sensation that you have written about in that time period. I noticed it after the first night of having no wifi. I still had 4g access on my mobile so I was not completely disconnected from the web. But something about the wifi signals seemed to be connected to causing me brain fog. 

I now firmly believe I am one of those individuals that may be sensitive to wifi signals being emitted from my router. 

I have since scheduled my router to turn off at 9pm and start again at 9am, daily, and on a few occasions, I completely switch it off, and the difference it has made in my life is dramatic. 

Maybe you could be experiencing something similar? 

Thank you for the advice but, I find it incredibly hard to believe this is the case for me. I live somewhere where there are only a few weak WIFI signals. I always used to turn my WIFI off until a few years ago, but that did not seem to help. Besides my WIFI is set to a very low setting. I also went away for a week, where there was no WIFI, and symptoms did not improve. Of course I don't know how bad your symptoms were, but I feel so ill a lot of the time that every minute is agony and I can't do anything at all. It is very hard to compare the severity of these symptoms. I used to think I had very bad symptoms 8 years ago, but now I would give almost everything to return to that state. I felt bad then, but with effort I could still function and work through it. 

Edited by Sephrioth, 13 November 2015 - 05:52 AM.

#8 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:12 AM

Check your symptoms against those for Candida.
Your being drunk/hung over wrung a bell as some candida sufferers have been caught for drunk driving.
I just did a quick search for vision issues and that is also a symptom of Candida.
Candida (some strains?) is a NAD+ auxotroph.  NAD+ is basically cellular energy.  Auxothroph means it cant make its own and sucks the energy/life right outa you!

I would add VCO (Virgin Coconut Oil) etc. to my bath water too, to get it off my skin and eyes etc.  I may even snort it! :)

Milk Thistle/ silymarin/ Silibinin to fix the liver.

Good luck! and let me know if I'm right plz.

• Disagree x 1

#9 Sephrioth

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:01 AM

Your being drunk/hung over wrung a bell as some candida sufferers have been caught for drunk driving.
I just did a quick search for vision issues and that is also a symptom of Candida.
Candida (some strains?) is a NAD+ auxotroph.  NAD+ is basically cellular energy.  Auxothroph means it cant make its own and sucks the energy/life right outa you!

I would add VCO (Virgin Coconut Oil) etc. to my bath water too, to get it off my skin and eyes etc.  I may even snort it! :)

Milk Thistle/ silymarin/ Silibinin to fix the liver.

I don't think it is Candida. I have already read much about it. Of course I can never exclude it, since there is no reliable test for it. My symptoms just do not mach those of candida, and are just far too consistent and bad for that. Even those that claim to have Candida do not know if that is really the case. I have also tried every diet possible including those candida diets. I almost don't eat any carbohydrates (only some low sugar fruit like blueberries and strawberries).  I have tried NADH, which should work about the same as NAD+ I believe. I have, over time, cumulatively eaten jars of raw virgin cocunut oil without any effect. I take large dose of Curcumin with black pepper. I have taken NAC for quite some time. 

Edited by Sephrioth, 13 November 2015 - 11:02 AM.

#10 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:59 AM

ok.

Ermmmm.....?

Sandfly bites? (NAD+ auxotroph)
Lyme?

#11 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:42 PM

Not virgin coconut oil,use cold pressed instead.
Mary Newport's recommendation

#12 Sephrioth

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:44 PM

Not virgin coconut oil,use cold pressed instead.
Mary Newport's recommendation

Thanks, but I use cold pressed. 

#13 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:47 PM

as for electronic pollution that takes 3 months to clear up

#14 crusader

• 79 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 06:45 PM

quick thoughts about what is causing your problems:

-not eating enough calories (a thyroid induced metabolism issue, are you constantly cold?)

-gut pathogens

-EMF pollution

-too much stimulation (watching TV, staring at a computer screen all day, constantly listening to the music on your computer, in the car, ipod, bars/clubs, etc..)

• unsure x 1

#15 xxxxxxxx

• 41 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:47 PM

I'm going through almost the exact same thing! I left my perfectly good biomedical engineering studies at a top uni and can hardly do my multiplication tables anymore. My parents had to pick me up from university in a car, because I couldn't figure out how to use a train anymore, I was that messed-up.

It has been 3 years for me, but I think I'm slowly coming out of it. Mine was technically set off by an endocrine disease, but I after going through all the weird medical syndrome research, I concluded that I have regular melancholic depression.

I KNOW it feels like you're dying of some horrible disease, but it is really "just" depression. However, unlike you, I do experience temporary upswings in my state, which in all has been slowly improving except for the anhedonia. I think if my life wasn't objectively miserable, it would have just gone away by now. I'm not implying you have conscious control over your state or that it isn't biological, but all the older antidepressant-company bias free research indicates it is a self-limiting disorder (provided you are not under ongoing stress). These decades long chronic depressions were pretty much unheard of before people started pushing very crude drugs. They don't help that much, most of the gains would have happened anyway with time, but they do rewire your brain to be semi-permanently even more susceptible to further depressions, plus can have nasty withdrawal syndromes. Your migraines and vomiting episodes were awful, no? You couldn't just decide not to have one, yet, they do eventually pass. I'm starting to think depression is like that. Most standard antidepressants (save for the instant-hitter ones like Ketamine) seem to just prolong your misery into a half-cured, but cannot go off drugs without crashing state. That being said, I'm not against the idea of depression medication as a concept, just the current ones SUCK. I do not think you have any actual "brain damage", except for the adaptive changes in hippocampal volume, etc that characterize depression. Your body is more than capable of fixing it, we just need to convince it to do that (it is basically keeping you depressed on purpose).

as for your medications/ supplements: drop the cholinergics (racetams, etc). They GIVE healthy people depression. Depression is characterized by increased cholinergic activity already and that may be a mechanism behind depressive sleep disorders too. Mania (the opposite of what you have) brings decreased cholinergic activity. Pregnenolone is effective on a U-curve: too much starts to backfire. Please be careful with self-medicating hormones. Please don't be a vegan or overexercise. 

It is also important to give respect to the immense complexity of the human brain. You should never think in terms of "my x neurotransmitter is too low" or "my x receptor is broken". There are probably thousands of individual interactions within your brain that are abnormal. Neurotransmitters also have drastically different functions based on where in the brain and on which receptor subtype they're acting. 

I'm sorry to inform people that "systemic candida" doesn't exist. That's only seen in critically ill ICU patients, close to death. I'm pretty sure any doctor can pick up on a raging systemic fungal infection with no problem, if that was the case!

I also don't think "chronic lyme" is a real condition. Sure, there are nasty post-viral syndromes (like post Epstein-Barr fatigue), but they usually clear up in a few months. Bacteria like Lyme are less likely to leave any chronic syndrome, save for perhaps tricking your immune system into autoimmunity (which can be medically checked). 

• Good Point x 1

#16 MizTen

• 261 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:40 PM

Candida (some strains?) is a NAD+ auxotroph. NAD+ is basically cellular energy. Auxothroph means it cant make its own and sucks the energy/life right outa you!

I would add VCO (Virgin Coconut Oil) etc. to my bath water too, to get it off my skin and eyes etc. I may even snort it! :)

Milk Thistle/ silymarin/ Silibinin to fix the liver.

Systemic candida could definitely cause these symptoms, sometimes also SIBO. If you can find an understanding doctor to prescribe Nystatin it's totally worth a shot. Watch out for die-off symptoms the first few days.

Edited by MizTen, 13 November 2015 - 11:48 PM.

#17 xxxxxxxx

• 41 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 November 2015 - 12:10 AM

Self-diagnosing "systemic candida" is like self-diagnosing ebola. YOU DO NOT HAVE EBOLA. 

https://www.scienceb...-fake-diseases/

http://www.cdc.gov/f...iasis/invasive/

#18 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 04:08 AM

Pseudo-depression can be caused by an injury or lesion to the left frontal lobe.  Symptoms sound like yours.  Not saying that's it, just that the similarity to your description is striking.

• Agree x 1

#19 Sephrioth

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 November 2015 - 05:29 AM

I'm going through almost the exact same thing! I left my perfectly good biomedical engineering studies at a top uni and can hardly do my multiplication tables anymore. My parents had to pick me up from university in a car, because I couldn't figure out how to use a train anymore, I was that messed-up.

It has been 3 years for me, but I think I'm slowly coming out of it. Mine was technically set off by an endocrine disease, but I after going through all the weird medical syndrome research, I concluded that I have regular melancholic depression.

I KNOW it feels like you're dying of some horrible disease, but it is really "just" depression. However, unlike you, I do experience temporary upswings in my state, which in all has been slowly improving except for the anhedonia. I think if my life wasn't objectively miserable, it would have just gone away by now. I'm not implying you have conscious control over your state or that it isn't biological, but all the older antidepressant-company bias free research indicates it is a self-limiting disorder (provided you are not under ongoing stress). These decades long chronic depressions were pretty much unheard of before people started pushing very crude drugs. They don't help that much, most of the gains would have happened anyway with time, but they do rewire your brain to be semi-permanently even more susceptible to further depressions, plus can have nasty withdrawal syndromes. Your migraines and vomiting episodes were awful, no? You couldn't just decide not to have one, yet, they do eventually pass. I'm starting to think depression is like that. Most standard antidepressants (save for the instant-hitter ones like Ketamine) seem to just prolong your misery into a half-cured, but cannot go off drugs without crashing state. That being said, I'm not against the idea of depression medication as a concept, just the current ones SUCK. I do not think you have any actual "brain damage", except for the adaptive changes in hippocampal volume, etc that characterize depression. Your body is more than capable of fixing it, we just need to convince it to do that (it is basically keeping you depressed on purpose).

as for your medications/ supplements: drop the cholinergics (racetams, etc). They GIVE healthy people depression. Depression is characterized by increased cholinergic activity already and that may be a mechanism behind depressive sleep disorders too. Mania (the opposite of what you have) brings decreased cholinergic activity. Pregnenolone is effective on a U-curve: too much starts to backfire. Please be careful with self-medicating hormones. Please don't be a vegan or overexercise. 

It is also important to give respect to the immense complexity of the human brain. You should never think in terms of "my x neurotransmitter is too low" or "my x receptor is broken". There are probably thousands of individual interactions within your brain that are abnormal. Neurotransmitters also have drastically different functions based on where in the brain and on which receptor subtype they're acting. 

I'm sorry to inform people that "systemic candida" doesn't exist. That's only seen in critically ill ICU patients, close to death. I'm pretty sure any doctor can pick up on a raging systemic fungal infection with no problem, if that was the case!

I also don't think "chronic lyme" is a real condition. Sure, there are nasty post-viral syndromes (like post Epstein-Barr fatigue), but they usually clear up in a few months. Bacteria like Lyme are less likely to leave any chronic syndrome, save for perhaps tricking your immune system into autoimmunity (which can be medically checked). 

Thank you for the comprehensive reaction. You make lots of valid points in your post. It is very hard for me to explain why I know with 99% certainty that, in my case, it is not depression. I do not have constant Anhedonia. There are weeks/months when I feel more emotions and have a positive attitude to fight this disease. But the symptoms remain just as badly. I am a 2D, 3D artist and a graphic designer. When I work I would lose myself in it. I would not call it a hypo manic state, but my brain can work fast and I would even feel happy. Yet I would still feel very ill at the same time, like having to work through a 40 degree fever (without the fever feeling) and with the same dimmed/dark/yellowish vision. When I feel a bit better (maybe 15%-20% less ill), I would take that opportunity to work, because that is all I want to do. I would really believe at that moment that I could work through it. But I always revert back to feeling horribly ill.

Like you know best what is happening in your brain, I have extensive experience with mine :-). I know depression can be self-limiting and that these processes can also be subconscious. I have thought about the possibility of depression, but in my case it really does not make sense at all. There are literally dozens of reasons why, that I just can't all list here. 

p.s. I am also very skeptical about Candida, the theories are just not very solid. I do not agree on Lyme though. I have read a lot about that disease and I do believe that chronic Lyme exists. I think it is misguided to state that Lyme can certainly be cured with a relative short period of Antibiotics. I believe that in the next decade(s) Lyme will be seen as a very hard to treat and sometimes chronic illness.

Edited by Sephrioth, 14 November 2015 - 05:34 AM.

• Agree x 1

#20 fairy

• 143 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 November 2015 - 01:54 PM

Have you tried an extended fast? Have a look at: nofap/water_fasting. The guy notices improvements in his vision as days go by.

>My vision is so much better, my sense of smell as well. I have a feeling like am again a teenager. (day2)
>Oh did I noticed that my vision is HD now. Yeah....that happened as well. (day3)
>This is amazing. Mind is super sharp and vision as well. (day7)
>Vision is not only sharp but also adjustable in the dark faster and also feels more wide angled. (day8)
>Hunger is zero. Hair is stronger and shinier and the vision just keeps improviing. (day10)
>Vision is getting better and better. Colors and sharpness as beyond anything the last years. (day14)

• Needs references x 1
  • unsure x 1
  • Agree x 1

#21 Inosine

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:38 AM

-not eating enough calories (a thyroid induced metabolism issue, are you constantly cold?)

-gut pathogens

-EMF pollution

-too much stimulation (watching TV, staring at a computer screen all day, constantly listening to the music on your computer, in the car, ipod, bars/clubs, etc..)

What is bad about this/why would this cause his problems?

What is bad about not eating meat and dairy

#22 Sephrioth

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 November 2015 - 05:11 AM

-gut pathogens

-EMF pollution

I never have trouble with my gut, but how can I know? EMF polution is low where I live. I do not watch TV. Listening to music is good for your brain, but I don't often do it. This is not an over stimulation problem. 

I eat enough calories, and I take T3/T4 for Thyroid. Eating Dairy and carbohydrates has no function for humans. Eating meat is not necessary, it's mostly fat with some proteins. Eating meat is also proven to be inflammatory I believe. I take B12 and low dose Iron supplements. I do eat sardines for protein, which have omega 3 and low mercury. 

Have you tried an extended fast? Have a look at: nofap/water_fasting. The guy notices improvements in his vision as days go by.

>My vision is so much better, my sense of smell as well. I have a feeling like am again a teenager. (day2)
>Oh did I noticed that my vision is HD now. Yeah....that happened as well. (day3)
>This is amazing. Mind is super sharp and vision as well. (day7)
>Vision is not only sharp but also adjustable in the dark faster and also feels more wide angled. (day8)
>Hunger is zero. Hair is stronger and shinier and the vision just keeps improviing. (day10)
>Vision is getting better and better. Colors and sharpness as beyond anything the last years. (day14)

I have fasted for 2-3 days, without much results. I tried it a few times a few years ago. I also have eaten with intermittent fasting 4-20h pattern for months. I have tried 4h-44h eating-fasting patterns for a long time also (weeks/months at a time). I have always been very lean with little fat. I think intermittent fasting works, and reduces my symptoms by a small amount, but I can't really be sure. It could also have been caused by natural fluctuations or something else I did. It is very hard to do fasting/intermittent fasting forever, especially when I feel very ill. After a few months, especially when I am feeling horrible, I give up on it.

#23 Babychris

• 466 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 02:21 PM

You're taking way too much stuff, to feel sane. I remembered some times where I was very close to kill myself, where I have made some incredible stupid thing (you can read my story) just because of a bit of choline..

I really advice you to wash yourself from everything, lower your stress/anxiety by taking baclofen Twice a week at 75mg (25 TID) then when you'll feel better, destroy your ego with DMT or LSD. enjoy the show

• Disagree x 1

#24 Sephrioth

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:31 PM

You're taking way too much stuff, to feel sane. I remembered some times where I was very close to kill myself, where I have made some incredible stupid thing (you can read my story) just because of a bit of choline..

I really advice you to wash yourself from everything, lower your stress/anxiety by taking baclofen Twice a week at 75mg (25 TID) then when you'll feel better, destroy your ego with DMT or LSD. enjoy the show

I have not taken anything the past few months and only started 3 weeks ago with my current supplements/medication. Most of these were supplements I have not previously taken. They have had no effect positive or negative as far as I can tell. I only really take Lion's mane, Curcumine + Bioperine and Omega 3 in substantial dosages each day. I have only tested the Racetams and the other nootropics a few times. I haven't taken Choline supplements in 2-3 months now.

I have no stress, I do not feel depressed, I feel too ill for that. I only have heavy brain and vision symptoms and anhedonia. The anhedonia was slightly improved the last week, why I don't know. Sometimes it gets better than it gets worse. The brain symptoms remain very bad. 

Edited by Sephrioth, 15 November 2015 - 04:33 PM.

#25 fairy

• 143 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:27 PM

---

You have put a great effort in IF, but 2/3 days are a short time for an extended fast. I've read different logs from *healthy* people with positive results after the first few days: increase in energy, clear-headedness, positive feelings, etc... 

This is something I've read on the internet though (besides a 40 h pointless fast I did out of curiosity), and an extended fast could be potentially dangerous for you especially, since you're lean and have health problems. Anyway, I hope you get better.

Edited by fairy, 15 November 2015 - 07:27 PM.

#26 Babychris

• 466 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:06 AM

Brain symptoms are at least partially from anxiety (trust me I'm 100 sure) you SHOULD try baclofen, it works much better for me than phenibut (which could be a good place to start) but you have to take it on occasion. 

At this point you really need to reboot your brain : LSD looks like your better option..

After the real question is : are we suffering from something physical (bacteria, weirdness something) that trigger those mental issue ? mmmm will be very hard to know so the most intelligent way to process is to focus on something holistic, from my point of view LSD is strong enough to make everything go back to "normal". 

You should consider memantine too... 

Your case is very complex as mine. Hope we'll find a relieve.

Nb: How your libido is ? Sorry if you told but can't remember as I read a lot 

#27 Sephrioth

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:17 PM

Brain symptoms are at least partially from anxiety (trust me I'm 100 sure) you SHOULD try baclofen, it works much better for me than phenibut (which could be a good place to start) but you have to take it on occasion. 

At this point you really need to reboot your brain : LSD looks like your better option..

After the real question is : are we suffering from something physical (bacteria, weirdness something) that trigger those mental issue ? mmmm will be very hard to know so the most intelligent way to process is to focus on something holistic, from my point of view LSD is strong enough to make everything go back to "normal". 

You should consider memantine too... 

Your case is very complex as mine. Hope we'll find a relieve.

Nb: How your libido is ? Sorry if you told but can't remember as I read a lot 

My libido is 0%, and I don't care about that at all. I just want to get back to creating art. (My testosterone used to be very low a few years ago, but was normal/high the last time it was measured.)

I know 99.99% sure I do not have any anxiety whatsoever. I feel as calm, and collected as I have ever felt in my entire life. I wish it was anxiety, but it really isn't for me. It isn't subconscious either. I don't care about anything but being able to work again. Why should I be anxious then. When I am able to work, and my symptoms are maybe 15-20% better, I am already very happy with that. Even though I still feel like utter crap. But then I collapse again, without a clear reason (certainly not anxiety or depression).

While I am typing this I feel horribly ill, like the worst flue but without the fever feeling. I see everything dark/yellowish/slowed down. Everything looks very strange like walking from bright light into the shade, or like everything is lit by a single fluorescent bulb that still needs to warm up. I feel this way every second of every day. Most of the time It is very bad like at this moment, sometimes it's a little bit better (maybe 15-20% improvement at max). I know other people suffer badly too. I know anxiety and depression are horrible illnesses that are very hard to grasp and can cause all sorts of diffuse symptoms.

Everyone tends to project their own experience onto other people, including me. The problem is that these symptoms are very hard to describe, and If you haven't experienced it yourself you will never understand how it is to live like this every day. It's even harder to quantify how bad these symptoms are. Seven years ago, I had a far milder version of these same symptoms. If I could go back now and feel like that again I would be soo grateful, even though I would never feel my old self again. But at that moment I thought those symptoms were very bad, because I was used to a crystal clear head and feeling normal.  Now my symptoms have passed a threshold, where I just can't work. Where frequently every minute seems agony, because I feel so ill. 

Edited by Sephrioth, 17 November 2015 - 12:19 PM.

• like x 1

#28 Sephrioth

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:31 PM

I just found this thread today. Someone with almost the same brain and vision symptoms as me. I have not found anyone describing the vision symptoms in the same way. He used almost the exact same words as I did. (Dark/Dimmed vision with a yellow cast like everything is lit by candle light and like walking from bright light outside into a room inside, when your eyes still have to adjust). He also still has all his cognitive abilities but heavy brainfog. He had encephalitis and maybe chronic lyme which seemed to have caused his symptoms.

http://forums.phoeni...eclining.29304/

Edited by Sephrioth, 17 November 2015 - 12:57 PM.

• like x 1

#29 Dichotohmy

• 201 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:00 AM

I can sympathise with you on a number of things. Most notably, the veil covering your visual perception of the world (like the daytime looking almost like a monitor running f.lux), fact that mood and physical/cognitive symptoms don't necessarily follow a similar pattern and that the ability to work and be productive is what you yearn for in the grip of pervasive neurological symptoms like this.

I'm not sure if you mentioned it, but do you ever notice paradoxical sound and visual sensitivity (hyperacuity, photophobia) in the midst of your symptoms? Sleep disturbances? Any ataxia or other movement problems? Do you really only feel physically rundown sometimes, which is to suggest your body usual doesn't hurt and you have physical strength most times?

I think you should revisit the lyme diagnosis and consider the possibility you will need to attempt even more aggressive threatment. You said it's been 8 years since you attempted to treat it. Any looking into the condition will tell you that no one really agrees how to treat it in the first place, and that tic-borne bacteria are notoriously treatment resistant. It is possible for neuroborreliosis to only affect the CNS - although the bacteria usually also infects joints and other peripheral parts of the body.

Edited by Dichotohmy, 23 November 2015 - 09:02 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Sephrioth

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:37 PM

I can sympathise with you on a number of things. Most notably, the veil covering your visual perception of the world (like the daytime looking almost like a monitor running f.lux), fact that mood and physical/cognitive symptoms don't necessarily follow a similar pattern and that the ability to work and be productive is what you yearn for in the grip of pervasive neurological symptoms like this.

I'm not sure if you mentioned it, but do you ever notice paradoxical sound and visual sensitivity (hyperacuity, photophobia) in the midst of your symptoms? Sleep disturbances? Any ataxia or other movement problems? Do you really only feel physically rundown sometimes, which is to suggest your body usual doesn't hurt and you have physical strength most times?

I think you should revisit the lyme diagnosis and consider the possibility you will need to attempt even more aggressive threatment. You said it's been 8 years since you attempted to treat it. Any looking into the condition will tell you that no one really agrees how to treat it in the first place, and that tic-borne bacteria are notoriously treatment resistant. It is possible for neuroborreliosis to only affect the CNS - although the bacteria usually also infects joints and other peripheral parts of the body.

I do not have any sound disturbances and no visual sensitivity. I wake up 4 times a night, and always dream vividly (sometimes almost fever dreams). Before this started I never had these dreams. I sleep 8-9 hours a night. I do not really have any physical complaints, only tired legs and arms sometimes. I do have bradycardia due to a second degree hartblock (beating 30 bpm at night). But during standing/exercising it beats normally. I also have aplastic anemia, and lower growth and thyroid hormones. 

I have read about Lyme a lot. I know it's difficult to treat. I have had many tests (Western blots / PCR etc). But never conclusively positive. Some positive bands, but not specific. And the PCR is frequently false-positive. It could be that the infection is too old, and I do not produce antibodies anymore. I am probably going to try Amoxicillin 3g daily,  to see if I get improvements.

Edited by Sephrioth, 24 November 2015 - 01:38 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brainfog, dimmed vision, anhedonia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users