- - - - -

Baseline supps for optimal health

top supps

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 message

• 72 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:25 AM

Trying to figure out what to stick with for optimal heatlh.  Wife and I in our early 30s and otherwise heatlhy w/ no issues.

Currently, take:

Life Extension 2/day MVI - once daily

Fish oil

Mag powder - on/off daily or every other day

Vit d 50000 - once week or every other week

That is all we take. 

Should we be taking other things? Our diet is pretty good and we don't feel like we have any deficits or anything i.e. sluggish, etc. 

Edited by message, 13 November 2015 - 03:26 AM.

#2 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:33 AM

There are many posts on "regimes" please refer to them. To me it is a matter of optimal nutrition (e.g. personal nutrition, nutrigenetics), exercise and integration when sub-optimal and/or good evidence/safety which implies regular testing. IMHO I would be very concerned using 50000 IU Vitamin D without testing! Target also top quality fish oil!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Irishdude

• 102 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 02:01 PM

There are many posts on "regimes" please refer to them. To me it is a matter of optimal nutrition (e.g. personal nutrition, nutrigenetics), exercise and integration when sub-optimal and/or good evidence/safety which implies regular testing. IMHO I would be very concerned using 50000 IU Vitamin D without testing! Target also top quality fish oil!

With the expense of top quality fish oil, would one not be better off just eating fish 3-4 times a week instead of taking oil? At least we get to know its fresh and we get protein and food from it, which our bodies have been designed for.

#4 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 November 2015 - 04:06 PM

Yes and also favor small size fishes to avoid pollutants. I only meant that if you wish to add (moderate) fish oil use the best quality and certification. Maybe this article from LEF might help in understanding the challenges of pollutants and rancidity: http://www.lifeexten...potency/page-01. I personally use only 500-1000 mg of fish oil, test regularly my free fatty acids profile and also take a very moderate dose of a mixed forms formulation of vitamin E, incl. the gamma form, against oxidation.

#5 message

• Topic Starter
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:58 AM

Came acros this list: http://www.lifeexten...tocols/page-les

Thoughts?

#6 Zaul

• 120 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 06:21 PM

Can't comment on the above list, i'd say however that B12 is usually overlooked in these types of essential vit lists, most ppl (Especially vegans) even meat-eaters have B12 deficiency, that says it all.

• like x 1

#7 Skyguy2005

• 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2015 - 07:32 PM

Well everyone is different: For me I like Ginkgo Biloba, Red Reishi and Chinese mushrooms, Glucosamine, 1000-2000 IU Vitamin D, B-Right B vitamins, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, it doesn't sound huge stack but I eat a lot of the first two.

I drink teas, Ginkgo Biloba, Green Tea, Red Reishi, really all this adds up. I feel it's good to have identity and purpose rather than a mountain sized stack.

Edited by Skyguy2005, 23 November 2015 - 07:39 PM.

#8 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:38 PM

Supplements are generally overrated, proper nutrition comes first anyway, if one is young, has no health issues, good proper nutrition and no specific goals or needs I can't see any reason to consider taking supplements.

Usually there is a tendency to recommend zinc, magnesium, D3, K2 and fish oil for general health because those are the nutrients more likely to be scarce in the average diets/lifestyles.

But if one lives in the tropics spending most of the day in the sun, eating fish and oysters everyday, etc... to take the above mentioned supplements would be as silly as to bring an ice maker machine to the pole.    

• Agree x 3
  • Ill informed x 2

#9 message

• Topic Starter
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for chiming in everyone.  We eat relatively healthy and regularly work out.

Will cut down on the Vit d and make it every other week or every 3 weeks even.  Have to get levels tested soon.

Looks like we are doing okay.

#10 message

• Topic Starter
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:25 PM

Doing lots of reading and researching - will start L carnosine 500mg BID.  Seems to be a supplement with a good track without any side effects and easy to obtain.

#11 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:50 PM

Supplements are generally overrated, proper nutrition comes first anyway, if one is young, has no health issues, good proper nutrition and no specific goals or needs I can't see any reason to consider taking supplements.

Usually there is a tendency to recommend zinc, magnesium, D3, K2 and fish oil for general health because those are the nutrients more likely to be scarce in the average diets/lifestyles.

But if one lives in the tropics spending most of the day in the sun, eating fish and oysters everyday, etc... to take the above mentioned supplements would be as silly as to bring an ice maker machine to the pole.    

If one lives in the tropics and spends most of the day in the sun, I'd be on the lookout for melanoma.  I don't agree that there's no reason to take supplements, unless you are the hypothetical person that has a miraculous combination of genetics, lifestyle, and diet.  Such a person is rare, however.  Very rare.  Zinc, magnesium, D3, K2 and fish oil are a pretty good bet for the average real-world person, as the odds that they are getting an optimal amount of all of them are exceedingly low.   There are other reasons to supplement besides the optimization of micronutrients.  The supplement universe is a large alternative pharmacopoeia that many people exploit as treatment for various disorders, not to mention the optimization of brain function.   Given the condition "if one is young, has no health issues, good proper nutrition and no specific goals or needs", I guess I can't really argue with you, but that condition eliminates most humans.

• Good Point x 2
  • Agree x 1

#12 birthdaysuit

• 299 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:00 AM

First see what you’re deficient in. From there maintain a proper exercise routine, and change your diet accordingly. Supplements should be your last priority.

#13 message

• Topic Starter
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:31 AM

How do we see what we are deficient in?

I do work around x-rays/radiation quite a bit.  Anything to possibly prevent long term effects from this?  I do wear the usual protection.

#14 message

• Topic Starter
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:36 AM

If one lives in the tropics and spends most of the day in the sun, I'd be on the lookout for melanoma.  I don't agree that there's no reason to take supplements, unless you are the hypothetical person that has a miraculous combination of genetics, lifestyle, and diet.  Such a person is rare, however.  Very rare.  Zinc, magnesium, D3, K2 and fish oil are a pretty good bet for the average real-world person, as the odds that they are getting an optimal amount of all of them are exceedingly low.   There are other reasons to supplement besides the optimization of micronutrients.  The supplement universe is a large alternative pharmacopoeia that many people exploit as treatment for various disorders, not to mention the optimization of brain function.   Given the condition "if one is young, has no health issues, good proper nutrition and no specific goals or needs", I guess I can't really argue with you, but that condition eliminates most humans.

I agree.  One can become better optimized with supps.

Having said that, we do take zinc PRN, mag every day or eod, d3, and fish oil.  

Should we add a  Super K with Advanced K2 Complex from LEF?

Just got a bottle of L carnosine and will be starting that 500mg BID.

Is it safe to stay on these supps long term or should one cycle on/off?

•  

#15 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:30 AM

In the tropics lives a huge portion of the human population but I am not aware of large incidences of melanoma there, melanoma incidence is large in places like Australia where most people don't live in the tropic but most are of pale complexion and live right under the ozone hole.

I am not suggesting everybody should live in the tropics and I am not suggesting it would be an healthy choice for everybody, the fair skinned individual probably does better at different latitudes, of course.

If one doesn't have a pathology where supplements are the therapy or doesn't have very special needs like athletic performance healthy nutrition and lifestyle should rule out the need for most if not all supplements.

If we state that tossing a supplement is easier for most than having a sound nutrition and lifestyle I may agree but if it will suffice in order to achieve the same results I am not so sure.

A different topic altogether is if the goal is life extension, given a perfect nutrition and lifestyle some kind of supplements (likely not yet discovered or at least proved to really work) might be necessary, but that is a specific goal and chances are they will be called "drugs", not "supplements".

Do I need supplements to go training at the gym?

No.

Will supplements help me to achieve better results?

Maybe, it largely depends.

Do I need supplements in order to compete at the Mr Olympia?

No, you need steroids (and lots of them). 

#16 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:08 AM

Having said that, we do take zinc PRN, mag every day or eod, d3, and fish oil.  

Should we add a  Super K with Advanced K2 Complex from LEF?

Just got a bottle of L carnosine and will be starting that 500mg BID.

Is it safe to stay on these supps long term or should one cycle on/off?

LEF's Super K is a pretty good product.  I'd add it, particularly if you're using a lot of D.  I don't see a problem with supplementing these on a regular basis, providing your doses are reasonable. 

#17 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:27 AM

Should we trow in iodine too, or at least test for any deficiencies?

Maybe beta alanine would be a better choice than carnosine but we are already stepping into the life extension and performance enhancers realm, the list will inevitably lengthen... :)

#18 message

• Topic Starter
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:33 AM

Thanks guys.  Appreciate the input.  Will start LEF K.  Just ordered.  I am all ears to longevity and performance enhancing.  I have just shyed away from that realm as of yet b/c the info is overwhelming and it seems everything is a two edged sword...

Iodine? I was thinking of maybe c60 oo for me purchased from a suggested retailer.  Wife is trying to get prego and I would rather her not start anything that is questionable.

Anything else you recommend for someone in early 30s and otherwise healthy?

#19 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:15 AM

Iodine is kind of a supplement you take if you need it, if you need it is good for your health without any contraindications.

Testing first is smart idea.

C60oo maybe better to be delayed after child birth since its action's mechanism are not clear yet and safety of use for a conceiving couple is totally questionable at this time being. 

Folic acids for your wife is highly recommended.

#20 message

• Topic Starter
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:55 AM

Iodine is kind of a supplement you take if you need it, if you need it is good for your health without any contraindications.

Testing first is smart idea.

C60oo maybe better to be delayed after child birth since its action's mechanism are not clear yet and safety of use for a conceiving couple is totally questionable at this time being. 

Folic acids for your wife is highly recommended.

What exact tests do you recommend?

I am staying away from c60 until after a child (hopefully),

And folate now? I thought that would be ideal AFTER she became pregnant.

#21 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:55 AM

Test for hypothyroidism is very tricky, there are two ways to do it in a decently reliable fashion.

One is basal temperature, simply place a thermometer beside the bed and as you wake up take your temperature before doing anything else, I mean while still in bed.

If temperature is below 36,5 some kind of hypothyroidism is very likely.

The other way is by an urine test:  http://www.optimox.c...ne/loadTest.htm

If test is positive perform first a test for Hashimoto, if that turns out negative supplementing iodine would be a smart choice.

Folic acid for her before she gets pregnant, since birth defects occur within the first 3-4 weeks of pregnancy, it's important to have folic acid in your system during those early stages when your baby's brain and spinal cord are developing.

#22 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:52 PM

AGEs = more TNF-Alpha = more NF-kB = less telomerase = shorter telomeres = older phenotype epigenetically.
Also infections and dysbiosis = more NF-kB etc.

So anti AGE/ALE stack and anti infection stack IMHO?

#23 YimYam

• 135 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:01 PM

So in summary the best stack for optimal health is...?

#24 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:30 PM

So in summary the best stack for optimal health is...?

to be researched and decided upon by yourself! :)

Use GoogleSiteSearch in the dropdown in  the menu bar. (top right)

#25 Never_Ending

• 170 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:03 PM

AGEs = more TNF-Alpha = more NF-kB = less telomerase = shorter telomeres = older phenotype epigenetically.
Also infections and dysbiosis = more NF-kB etc.

So anti AGE/ALE stack and anti infection stack IMHO?

Is there a couple supps you would recommend for clearance of AGEs or to prevent build up... ( I saw that things such as highly burnt or processed meats generate some of the most AGEs and will avoid those)

#26 message

• Topic Starter
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:38 AM

AGE blockers/breakers:

Chebulic Acid

ALT-711

Liposomal Luteolin

other?

Senolytics:

Dasitinib

Quercitan

Navitoclax/ABT-263

NF-kB inhibitors:

Astragalus

Purslane

Gingko Biloba (EGB-761)

Other NF-kB inhibitors. 

I picked up above from another thread.  It appears AGE blocking appears to have the most bang for the buck,

#27 message

• Topic Starter
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:49 AM

A safe, not too expensive stack to inhibiting AGE can be:

Green Tea Extract
L-Carnosine
Alpha Lipoic Acid

I have started L carnosine 500mg BID and will be starting green tea extract very soon.

#28 message

• Topic Starter
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:55 AM

Another AGE blocker is Luteolin.  Can be found in artichoke and hawthorn supplements, The problem with luteolin is that it inhibits tyrosine kinase(TK) like genistein (soy). luteolin is a weaker inhibitor of TK than genistein - so probably not a big deal.

Anyone taking Luteolin?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#29 message

• Topic Starter
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:27 AM

anyone want to chime in if they take any of the AGE blockers?

I

sponsored ad

• Advert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users