• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Anything to speed up caffeine tolerance reset?

tolerance

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 liber

• 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:09 AM

Okay, so I want to completely reset my caffeine tolerance.

It's strange. I can take no caffeine and feel just fine.  Or I can take 500mg at once, and only feel the slightest boost.

I've tried going off for two weeks.  Tapered down, and was off all stims for 14 days. I thought it'd be enough.  

Then I took a 200mg pill to test, and... nope, barely even felt it.

Am I just being impatient? I've read reports of people needing to be off stims for months to completely reset their tolerance.

Is there something that exists that could speed the process up? Ideally I'd want to get back to a completely caffeine-native state.  I'm able to currently function without caffeine just fine.. but when I take it, I don't feel any of the effects -- unless I go up to stupid high doses, like 600-800mg in the span of an hour. 

Any anecdotes on completing a caffeine/stimulant reset?

#2 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:12 AM

i think memantine helped with tolerance towards caffeine as i remember i couldnt feel 3 cups of espresso and then just 1 cup made me super jittery

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 02:50 AM

Well besides the obvious idea of abstaining for a few weeks, I thought maybe something to downregulate adenosine receptors, but...

Experimental evidence and theoretical considerations indicate that up-regulation of adenosine receptors is not the mechanism of tolerance to caffeine-induced stimulation of locomotor activity.[1]

You could also maybe try antagonists at the beta1 & beta2 sites, agonists on the DA/5-HT sites.  For example, DBH inhibitors for DA, bacopa for 5-HT, tea for both [!] [!]

One source recommends tyrosine for withdrawal, probly no good for resetting tolerance [although, see the middle of the three bottom studies... with chronic caffeine, dopamine receptors are upregulated.  so something like tyrosine may have a role].

Caffeine activates noradrenaline neurons and seems to affect the local release of dopamine. Many of the alerting effects of caffeine may be related to the action of the methylxanthine on serotonin neurons. The methylxanthine induces dose-response increases in locomotor activity in animals. Its psychostimulant action on man is, however, often subtle and not very easy to detect. The effects of caffeine on learning, memory, performance and coordination are rather related to the methylxanthine action on arousal, vigilance and fatigue. Caffeine exerts obvious effects on anxiety and sleep which vary according to individual sensitivity to the methylxanthine. However, children in general do not appear more sensitive to methylxanthine effects than adults. The central nervous system does not seem to develop a great tolerance to the effects of caffeine although dependence and withdrawal symptoms are reported.[2]

Final considerations.

• The density of cortical A1 adenosine receptors is increased by 20%, while the density of striatal A2A adenosine receptors is unaltered.
  • The densities of cortical beta 1 and cerebellar beta 2 adrenergic receptors are reduced by ca. 25%, while the densities of cortical alpha 1 and alpha 2 adrenergic receptors are not significantly altered.  Densities of striatal D1 and D2 dopaminergic receptors are unaltered.
  • The densities of cortical 5 HT1 and 5 HT2 serotonergic receptors are increased by 26-30%.
  • Densities of cortical muscarinic and nicotinic receptors are increased by 40-50%.
  • The density of cortical benzodiazepine-binding sites associated with GABAA receptors is increased by 65%, and the affinity appears slightly decreased.
  • The density of cortical MK-801 sites associated with NMDA-glutaminergic receptors appear unaltered.
  • The density of cortical nitrendipine-binding sites associated with calcium channels is increased by 18%.

---------------

Like other wake-promoting drugs (stimulants and modafinil), caffeine enhances dopamine (DA) signaling in the brain, which it does predominantly by antagonizing adenosine A2A receptors (A2AR). However, it is unclear if caffeine, at the doses consumed by humans, increases DA release or whether it modulates the functions of postsynaptic DA receptors through its interaction with adenosine receptors, which modulate them. We used positron emission tomography and [11C]raclopride (DA D2/D3 receptor radioligand sensitive to endogenous DA) to assess if caffeine increased DA release in striatum in 20 healthy controls. Caffeine (300mg p.o.) significantly increased the availability of D2/D3 receptors in putamen and ventral striatum, but not in caudate, when compared with placebo. In addition, caffeine-induced increases in D2/D3 receptor availability in the ventral striatum were associated with caffeine-induced increases in alertness. Our findings indicate that in the human brain, caffeine, at doses typically consumed, increases the availability of DA D2/D3 receptors, which indicates that caffeine does not increase DA in the striatum for this would have decreased D2/D3 receptor availability. Instead, we interpret our findings to reflect an increase in D2/D3 receptor levels in striatum with caffeine (or changes in affinity). The association between increases in D2/D3 receptor availability in ventral striatum and alertness suggests that caffeine might enhance arousal, in part, by upregulating D2/D3 receptors.

---------------

An increase in the extracellular concentration of dopamine in the nucleus accumbens (NAc) is believed to be one of the main mechanisms involved in the rewarding and motor-activating properties of psychostimulants such as amphetamines and cocaine. Using in vivo microdialysis in freely moving rats, we demonstrate that systemic administration of behaviorally relevant doses of caffeine can preferentially increase extracellular levels of dopamine and glutamate in the shell of the NAc. These effects could be reproduced by the administration of a selective adenosine A1 receptor antagonist but not by a selective adenosine A2A receptor antagonist. This suggests that caffeine, because of its ability to block adenosine A1 receptors, shares neurochemical properties with other psychostimulants, which could contribute to the widespread consumption of caffeine-containing beverages.

#4 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:33 AM

Phenylpiracetam works within a day to counter my caffeine withdrawal side-effects.

Edit: and phenylpiracetam itself does not have withdrawal, afaik. 

Edited by RatherBeUnknown, 25 November 2015 - 08:34 AM.

#5 BasicBiO

• 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 November 2015 - 03:07 AM

Benadryl.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 November 2015 - 02:45 AM

^ you are going to say next mix it with cough syrup too. high school kid's local shop's high.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Good Point x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tolerance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users