Supplements linked to tinnitus

tinnitus sam-e

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 cylon

• 126 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 02:36 PM

Hi

I expereince mild tinnitus so am paranoid about anything I ingest, whether a supplement or food substance, might contribute to my symptoms.

I recently added SAM-e to my daily regimen and was wondering if anyone is aware of any recent studies linking SAM-e to tinnitus? Any other 'common' supplements I should avoid?

Thanks.

#2 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 November 2015 - 12:50 AM

Aspirin is known for this, although seldom at the usual baby aspirin level.

I just double-checked this online and found the New England Journal of Medicine reporting a case of a man who developed tinnitus after unknowingly getting an aspirin tablet trapped in his ear canal, LOL. Once it was removed the symptoms went away.

• Cheerful x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 27 November 2015 - 01:38 AM

Aleve is particularly bad.

#4 panhedonic

• 390 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 09:13 AM

You have mild tinnitus? how old are you? 

I had mild-moderate tinnitus for the last 20 years. It goes up and down. I am perfectly happy, I learned to live with it and it doesn't decrease my enjoyment in the slightest bit. You just have to accept it. 

If you have strong tinnitus, well, that's a different story and I can't speak to that. 

#5 StephCThomp

• 78 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:34 AM

Tinnitus is sometimes a feature of Thyroid problems, and may go away once the Thyroid is put (fed) right.  Something to consider.

• like x 1

#6 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:14 AM

I also have thyroid problems and tinnitus. I have just had a blood test and heard nothing back from the Dr which means that I am taking the right amount. I sang with someone who had both memory loss and a thyroid problem that caused her tinnitus. Her memory loss is quiet severe she couldn't remember the name of the woman who collects the money in the choir despite singing with her for over 10 years. There were probably others of long standing acquaintance who names she didn't know.
Thyroid problems and Alzheimer's are co morbid. I would like to know why. In some cases tinnitus is a sign of cognitive decline.

#7 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:30 AM

My tinnitus though is very severe. I have had mild tinnitus since childhood as well as a lower than normal temperature which is indicative of hypothyroidism I have also had mild memory problems all my adult life. It is only in the last 2 years that I realized I have huge darkness where most of my memories should be. The latest thing is that I can't remember where my daughter's old school was despite having taken her to school everyday. I can remember waiting in the foyer to speak to her teacher but that is the only memory I have left of that place. The problem is that my worsening memory and loss of awareness of the world around me is subjective with loud tinnitus that came on very suddenly. I had been used to low levels of tinnitus that was relatively quiet all my life. They did not make me think I had something lifethreatening. House hold chores are getting harder to do too.

#8 akidoman

• Registrant
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:39 PM

Have you looked at any chinese herbal formulas to help w/ the tinnitus? Two classical herbal formulas that I am aware of are zisheng tonger  tang erming zuoci wan. Both have been around for over 300 years so some clinical efficacy is indicated. :-)

#9 evilbaga

• 39 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:26 PM

This is totally anecdotal... but I found Vitamin C helps my (mild) tinnitus a lot (practically removes it).

#10 Darryl

• 650 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:39 AM

Very high dose aspirin (3600-10000 mg) or other salicylates causes reversible tinnitus. When aspirin was a primary NSAID for rhumatoid arthritis, the prescribing adage was "push to tinnitus, then back off slightly".

This was a consideration for me, as I take high doses of an alternative salicylate in my longevity regimen.

However, lower dose aspirin appears to relieve tinnitus caused by spontaneous otoacoustic emissions.

#11 The Beauty of Peace

• 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:53 PM

Anyone had any luck getting rid of tinnitus? I've been taking 240 mg of Ginkgo Biloba for a month but no luck so far. 

#12 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:20 PM

And again here we are...

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15922111

• Informative x 1

#13 The Beauty of Peace

• 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:01 PM

And again here we are...

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15922111

That's really interesting. I used to take quetiapine, which is a really strong antipsychotic drug.

Are dopamine antagonists only available as prescription drugs? 

Edited by The Beauty of Peace, 12 January 2016 - 11:13 PM.

#14 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:31 PM

Excess dopamine causes psychosis, antypsychotic drugs are probably not the best answer.

Quetiapine side effects are such i can't recommend it.

Are dopamine antagonists & agonists only available as prescription drugs?

Probably yes and no, as you can see L-dopa is ready available as supplement for example...

How to fix a neurotransmitters anomaly without causing more damage than good may be tricky and needs some research.

For example a dopamine deficiency (which is relatively common) is quite easy to fix with seleginine supplementation...

Unfortunately it seems too much dopamine is quite uncommon....

#15 The Beauty of Peace

• 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:49 PM

Progesterone increases  monoamine oxidase activity. 

Some theorize  that taking supplements that increase serotonin (5-HTP, L-Tryptophan) will naturally offset the effects of high dopamine.

Some herbs (Turkey corn, Graviola) decrease dopamine levels. You are right, more research is needed.

#16 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:38 AM

I suggest starting from nutrition, low amine foods for example.

http://aminerecipes.com/

http://www.kitchenta...taining-amines/

Always put nutrition and lifestyle first, only when those are PERFECT one should consider supplements.

Wrong nutrition and/or lifestyle would never be compensated by supplements, it is actually very possible for an otherwise beneficial supplement to be discarded because sorting no effect due to bad nutritional and/or lifestyle choices.

#17 The Beauty of Peace

• 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:14 PM

Do I have an amine allergy ? :|?

I suggest starting from nutrition, low amine foods for example.

http://aminerecipes.com/

http://www.kitchenta...taining-amines/

Always put nutrition and lifestyle first, only when those are PERFECT one should consider supplements.

Wrong nutrition and/or lifestyle would never be compensated by supplements, it is actually very possible for an otherwise beneficial supplement to be discarded because sorting no effect due to bad nutritional and/or lifestyle choices.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#18 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:49 PM

Neurotransmitters are amines or at least dopamine and serotonin are, it seems a good idea to reduce amines intake if high dopamine is an issue.

For example whom is on selegiline and levodopa because of Parkinson is usually recommended low amines diets.

Amines allergy comes with its own array of symptoms, you don't seem to mention any.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tinnitus, sam-e

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users