- - - - -

Easily absorbed Pregnenolone supps?

pregnenolone

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Phlogiston

• 29 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 01:17 AM

For the last several months I have been taking a 100 mg Life Extension Pregnenolone capsule every morning on an empty stomach. I just had my blood levels tested, and the results came back at less than 10 ng / Dl.  In other words, virtually none of this whopping dose was absorbed.

In contrast, I have read posts from forum members who had pronounced reactions -- both good and bad -- to far smaller doses of pregnenolone, sometimes as little as 10 mg daily. All of these people were using sublingual products.

Can someone recommend a sublingual form of pregnenolone that they have had positive results with?

#2 Bukujutsu

• 92 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:59 AM

Just open the capsule and put the powder under your tongue. I reused one of the small containers from a nootropics vendor. I use the same product from Life Extension. It's close to 400mg total weight, so I simply multiple the amount of pregnenolone I want by 4. 50mg (total powder weight) twice a day seems to work well for me.

Check out the end, starting at the last segment by the Dr.: http://www.life-enha...of-pregnenolone

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:47 PM

100 mg is a very large dose, and it is suspicious that not even a little bit of it was absorbed.

It's entirely possible that there was no pregnenolone in your pills, or not the amount that the label claims.  

The supplement industry isn't regulated in any meaningful way.  Never ever forget this.

I know Life Extension is one of the popular brands but I personally don't trust it and don't buy anything from them.  They're too gimmicky, overpriced, and they make outrageous claims.  

For example, when initially looking around for a supplement brand to buy the majority of my stuff from, I ran across a Life Extension article about a "safe, proven cure for migraine."  I read it and was absolutely disgusted.  There is no cure for migraine, much of the problem is rooted in genetic, neurological and mitochondrial issues... and the things mentioned in the article are mostly bullshit.  

Because the industry has virtually no regulation, it is imperative to be ruthless in your selection of brands.  Employ a zero-tolerance policy.   So for me, Life Extension demonstrated a very cavalier lack of professional ethics in their magazine's claims about an OTC migraine "cure," especially when they do not mention mitochondrial function or the glutamatergic system at all.  That's enough for me to purchase none of their products; they simply cannot be trusted.

Try pregnenolone from a different brand.  

• Ill informed x 1
  • Agree x 1

#4 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:07 AM

100 mg is a very large dose, and it is suspicious that not even a little bit of it was absorbed.

It's entirely possible that there was no pregnenolone in your pills, or not the amount that the label claims.  

The supplement industry isn't regulated in any meaningful way.  Never ever forget this.

I know Life Extension is one of the popular brands but I personally don't trust it and don't buy anything from them.  They're too gimmicky, overpriced, and they make outrageous claims.  

For example, when initially looking around for a supplement brand to buy the majority of my stuff from, I ran across a Life Extension article about a "safe, proven cure for migraine."  I read it and was absolutely disgusted.  There is no cure for migraine, much of the problem is rooted in genetic, neurological and mitochondrial issues... and the things mentioned in the article are mostly bullshit.  

Because the industry has virtually no regulation, it is imperative to be ruthless in your selection of brands.  Employ a zero-tolerance policy.   So for me, Life Extension demonstrated a very cavalier lack of professional ethics in their magazine's claims about an OTC migraine "cure," especially when they do not mention mitochondrial function or the glutamatergic system at all.  That's enough for me to purchase none of their products; they simply cannot be trusted.

Lots of things remove migraine as long as you keep taking them. What the hell are you on about? I can mention a plethora of supplements that work for different people. B vitamins, melatonin, ginkgo biloba, etc.

You can't cure a disease that is genetic using non-genetic techniques. That's why "cure" means "remove all symptoms temporarily" - in that sense you can cure it.

• dislike x 1

#5 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:56 AM

Lots of things remove migraine as long as you keep taking them. What the hell are you on about? I can mention a plethora of supplements that work for different people. B vitamins, melatonin, ginkgo biloba, etc.

You can't cure a disease that is genetic using non-genetic techniques. That's why "cure" means "remove all symptoms temporarily" - in that sense you can cure it.

I'm a migraineur.  Supplements can only increase your trigger threshold and reduce the number of attacks and/or the severity of the attacks.  None can abort migraines in progress or make them disappear for the rest of your life.  

Anybody that claims they killed a migraine with supplements did not have a migraine in the first place.  They had some other kind of problem.

There is no cure and the Life Extension article spend most of its time talking about balancing hormones which is bullshit.  For example, we've found a genetic mutation that impairs a migraineur's ability to clear glutamate in a timely fashion.  Hormones have absolutely nothing to do with that.  

Even playing with the word "cure" like that is unethical.  Cure implies a permanent solution, not temporary.  Migraine is a neurological disease - saying you've cured migraine is like saying you've cured Parkinson's.

Edited by Duchykins, 24 February 2017 - 02:58 AM.

#6 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:09 AM

For example, a large portion of migraineurs are sensitive to changes in barometric pressure.  The migraine brain in general does not like change - it craves routine and has a hair-trigger glutamatergic system.  

I have virtually no protection from migraines triggered by incoming low pressure systems and storms, nor from migraines triggered by the low pressure systems and storms moving away.  No protection because nobody fucking knows why the migraine brain is sensitive to changes in things like pressure, temperature and humidity.

No cure.  Any anybody claiming to have a cure should be spat upon.  We can't yet cure migraine because we still don't fully understand it.

#7 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:13 AM

i also have problem with pregnenolone but life extension on the side, i tried various brands with no good results. im thinking you need IV or sublingual or maybe nasal to absorb any. kind of sad

#8 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:53 AM

I'm a migraineur.  Supplements can only increase your trigger threshold and reduce the number of attacks and/or the severity of the attacks.  None can abort migraines in progress or make them disappear for the rest of your life.  

Anybody that claims they killed a migraine with supplements did not have a migraine in the first place.  They had some other kind of problem.

There is no cure and the Life Extension article spend most of its time talking about balancing hormones which is bullshit.  For example, we've found a genetic mutation that impairs a migraineur's ability to clear glutamate in a timely fashion.  Hormones have absolutely nothing to do with that.  

Even playing with the word "cure" like that is unethical.  Cure implies a permanent solution, not temporary.  Migraine is a neurological disease - saying you've cured migraine is like saying you've cured Parkinson's.

I'm sorry but you're ignorant. You can cure epilepsy in the sense of removing all symptoms of it as long as the chemical is taken. It's the same with migraines. I know a lot of people who suffer from migraines who never have any symptoms or barely any, because they take the right things. For some with migraine, some things work, for others they don't work, it's the same with epilepsy.

Now, as for hormonal changes and migraine, that is absolutely a reality. Hormonal fluctuations in women can trigger migraines. Migraines are connected to female hormones (and for good reason, namely serotonin receptor which control vasoconstriction, inflammation and such that estrogen fiddles with).

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • dislike x 1

#9 Phlogiston

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:14 PM

Back around the time I started this thread, a poster on a forum for people with high genetic risk for Alzheimers  www.apoe4.info   told me that she had begun using Source Naturals sublingual Pregnenolone, and her bloodwork confirmed that her serum levels of pregnenolone had increased. So perhaps sublingual is the way to go.

Since then I've been using 10 mg twice daily of the Source Naturals product.

In defense of Life Extension, I had good results with their DHEA supplement -- a single cap daily sharply increased my serum level of DHEA, as verified by blood work.  Apparently the failing with their Pregnenolone is formulating it for oral dosing.

But I agree that their magazine is pure advertising, to be read with skepticism. They lost their nonprofit status in the US for a reason.

#10 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:37 PM

How on earth can you feel that you are taking pregnenolone if it doesn't affect your blood levels? The only explanation I see is that like with vitamin D you need a lot for it to have an effect (stored in fatty tissue, etc.). Now, if you don't feel the pregnenolone then you need to get your hands on the real deal and it's dirt cheap. Swanson sells extremely cheap pregnenolone, bulk powder is obviously even cheaper.

#11 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:12 PM

I'm sorry but you're ignorant. You can cure epilepsy in the sense of removing all symptoms of it as long as the chemical is taken. It's the same with migraines. I know a lot of people who suffer from migraines who never have any symptoms or barely any, because they take the right things. For some with migraine, some things work, for others they don't work, it's the same with epilepsy.

Now, as for hormonal changes and migraine, that is absolutely a reality. Hormonal fluctuations in women can trigger migraines. Migraines are connected to female hormones (and for good reason, namely serotonin receptor which control vasoconstriction, inflammation and such that estrogen fiddles with).

That's not a cure, it's a treatment.  If they were cured, they wouldn't have to continue treatment.  Stop being a child.

I can't stand people like you.  You're not just ignorant, you're dangerously willing to play with people lives with this kind of nonsense.

The reason hormone changes can trigger migraines (in both men and women) is the same reason other things trigger migraines - the migraine brain is sensitive to change.  Change in anything can trigger a migraine - for example, staying up late on weekends.  That's a change in sleep pattern.  Enough to trigger a migraine.  Migraines from hormone changes are symptoms, not the underlying cause of migraine as a mitochondrial disorder or neurological disease and that's why playing with hormones cannot be the cure.

And there is no reason to focus on women - the bullshit article I read was not gender specific.  Stop grasping at straws and go away.  You know nothing about migraine except superficial popular stuff.  That's why you say stupid shit like "migraines are connected to female hormones" as if men cannot be migraineurs.

Edited by Duchykins, 25 February 2017 - 10:13 PM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:19 PM

How on earth can you feel that you are taking pregnenolone if it doesn't affect your blood levels? The only explanation I see is that like with vitamin D you need a lot for it to have an effect (stored in fatty tissue, etc.). Now, if you don't feel the pregnenolone then you need to get your hands on the real deal and it's dirt cheap. Swanson sells extremely cheap pregnenolone, bulk powder is obviously even cheaper.

The only explanation you see?   You're not too bright - clearly there is a strong possibility of placebo effect.  And 100 mg in a single dose is a lot.

Edited by Duchykins, 25 February 2017 - 10:20 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pregnenolone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users