lions mane nootropic nootropics ngf brain

• Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

#211 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:28 PM

wHEN ARE YOU getting it tho. how come 1/3rd the cost of oRv

When are we getting what?

If you have any questions about our products, feel free to contact us directly via our website.

I did and they gave me wrong information like the link posted above. It's not COA. When are you getting this COA?

wHEN ARE YOU getting it tho. how come 1/3rd the cost of oRv

When are we getting what?

If you have any questions about our products, feel free to contact us directly via our website.

I did. They gave me the wrong information which I posted above. Vlad indicated it's not the information I should look for. So when are you going to have that COA ready?

freaking phP erorr

• Unfriendly x 2

#212 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:17 PM

This hugely expensive product (it is a month's dose only) worked very well for me:

https://au.iherb.com...ggie-Caps/61802

lol that is the biggest crap ever. it is expensive yes, same here in US but its mostly filler and polysacharides that are grain and questionable bioactives being present at all. ive done the product years ago when i was younger and naive, not surprisingly i cant stand it now since its so useless and ive lost time and money on it. paul stamets claims to be some kind of an advocate of medicinal mushrooms, he should be ashamed of the products he sells. what a scammer!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#213 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:52 PM

This hugely expensive product (it is a month's dose only) worked very well for me:

lol that is the biggest crap ever. ! It's mostly filler and polysacharides

That is very worrying, especially considering how expensive it is. Do you have any evidence for this?

Edited by Ben, 09 June 2017 - 10:53 PM.

#214 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:25 AM

On your profile, there is an option to mute a poster. 

That is very worrying, especially considering how expensive it is. Do you have any evidence for this?

#215 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:42 PM

ben, i suggest you msg vlad or realmushrooms for better information on this. they have been explaining this problem for several threads now including this one and i think people should start reading the whole thread before making any assumptions

• Good Point x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#216 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:31 AM

ben, i suggest you msg vlad or realmushrooms for better information on this. they have been explaining this problem for several threads now including this one and i think people should start reading the whole thread before making any assumptions

I went through the thread.

1. Real mushrooms has advertised in this thread for free (pretty cheeky).

2. No evidence is presented in all 8 pages that the lion's mane mushroom from fungi perfecti is (your quote): mostly filler and polysacharides. Personally I believe I've had a benefit from this product.

Please refrain from making positive statements without evidence (this is not to say that that statement may be correct--it is at present, however, without evidence in this thread. 

A conjecture has been made in this thread: 

-  A lot of lions mane is grown on a substrate. This substrate is difficult to remove from the mycelium (like the "roots" of the mushroom) and therefore it is conjectured that many products for sale are mainly mycelium--solid reasoning but not positive evidence against all brands.  An excellent reason to be very cautious and demand tests from mushroom extract sellers.

Other interesting things of note:

- NGF promoting substances are in both the mycelium and the fruiting body. It is therefore conjectured that a product selling only a mycelium extract is missing half the of the good stuff.

(Addressing another issue raised--all products from China are bound to be contaminated: bank on this being true 99% of the time. Nothing clean comes out of that geidi prime.)

Edited by Ben, 11 June 2017 - 08:33 AM.

• Needs references x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#217 Real Mushrooms

• 101 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:54 PM

-  A lot of lions mane is grown on a substrate. This substrate is difficult to remove from the mycelium (like the "roots" of the mushroom) and therefore it is conjectured that many products for sale are mainly mycelium--solid reasoning but not positive evidence against all brands.  An excellent reason to be very cautious and demand tests from mushroom extract sellers.

If it is made/grown in the USA it is almost guaranteed to be mycelium grown on grain. This is due to the economics of mushroom growing. It's not economical to grow mushrooms for supplements in North America. The issue being that the substrate (rice, oats, sorghum) is not fully consumed by the mycelium and ends up in the final product, severely diluting the amounts of mycelium present. A lack of mycelium means a lack of active compounds (ie. what you're paying money for).

This has been demonstrated in the Nammex report (http://www.nammex.co...inal-mushrooms/) and the McCleary & Draga paper (http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/aoac/jaoac/2016/00000099/00000002/art00007).

Mushrooms and mycelium have very low levels of alpha-glucans (<10%) hence products claiming to be made solely from either should conform with this. Anything above this would indicate adulteration. From the links above you'll see products with well above 50% alpha-glucan with as little as 1-2% beta-glucans. This alpha-glucan is starch from either grain in the case of mycelium grown on grain products or fillers like dextrose or maltodextrin. This is also why polysaccharide numbers are meaningless and they include alpha-glucans like starch.

As an example, look at the supplements panel of your Host Defense product. While claiming to be "made with US grown organic mushrooms", the supplements panel will say "mycelium" and "myceliated brown rice". ie. mycelium grown on brown rice. It does not contain any mushrooms.

- NGF promoting substances are in both the mycelium and the fruiting body. It is therefore conjectured that a product selling only a mycelium extract is missing half the of the good stuff.

While this is true, the only product I've seen that contains pure lions mane mycelium (i.e. made via liquid fermentation) is the Oriveda product.

Important to note is that neither the hericenones or erinacines can be measured so whether they make it into a retail product is still unknown.

What we do know is that there is two clinical trials (https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/20834180 https://www.ncbi.nlm...ubmed/18844328) using ground up lions mane mushroom. So a lions mane mushroom extract would be consistent with this and have improved bioavailability because it is extracted.

(Addressing another issue raised--all products from China are bound to be contaminated: bank on this being true 99% of the time. Nothing clean comes out of that geidi prime.)

Completely untrue. Considering that China supplies over 60% of supplement ingredients and over 85% of the world's mushrooms. If everything was contaminated, North American companies wouldn't be able to sell their products as they wouldn't meet many of the failsafes put in place by the FDA.

Edited by Real Mushrooms, 12 June 2017 - 05:57 PM.

• Informative x 2
  • Ill informed x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#218 EFTANG

• 115 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:04 PM

A few Host Defense products were included in recent research (investigating the active ingredients -beta-glucan in particular- in popular OTC mushroom supplements, and also checking the alpha-glucan-levels -mainly starch- in those products.

The Host Defense products (nr. 2 and nr. 3 in Table 10) scored 3.2% and 1.3% beta-glucan resp., and 66.4 % and 72.5 % starch/alpha-glucan. It's not far-sought to assume  other Host Defense products (all manufactured in the same way) have similar quality problems.

It is actually shameful IMO that a man with the public profile of Stamets allows such poor products to be manufactured and sold under his name.

He's actually defending them and trying to find some 'kompromat' on other companies and their products when the sub-par quality is exposed, to get even !! But again, no facts !! Only talk.

He is also the guy who's responsible for the 20 year old report claiming most Chinese mushroom products were contaminated with heavy metals and such. Maybe that actually was the case back then, I can't say.

Now you make that same general statement - but there's no proof at all. The truth lies in lab reports and hard facts, not hearsay and assumptions.

It is very easy to test for contamination, and that's what most importers of mushrooms do. And if they don't - customs also does this...

Host Defense is not testing their products for potency and if they are, they chose not to share their results with their customers. 

As a customer, you have to take their word for it when they state it is a good and useful product - because there's nothing on the label that warrants such a claim. I personally would prefer to be able to verify quality claims (including 'poor quality' claims).

So far only the poor quality was proven.

• Good Point x 2
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#219 Advocatus Diaboli

• 562 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:15 PM

Well, actually not "Completely untrue", Real Mushrooms. Below are just a few of the many examples to be found by googling. I suspect that there is no reason to believe that soil contamination and water pollution as well as manufacturing-facility pollution and pathogen introduction have improved from the date of some of the earlier findings (1989, e.g.) listed below. There are many more examples to be found.

http://articles.lati..._food-poisoning

http://www.mushroomb...ushroom-exports

http://www.theepocht...u-should-avoid/

https://teelixir.com...cinal-mushrooms

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5384947/

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5393068/

It seems that some (or at least one) of the many "failsafes" put in place by the FDA work only ex post facto:

https://www.fda.gov/...s/ucm129932.htm

and perhaps not by any direct FDA action, but by tocsin actions of others.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#220 Real Mushrooms

• 101 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:46 PM

Well, actually not "Completely untrue", Real Mushrooms. Below are just a few of the many examples to be found by googling. I suspect that there is no reason to believe that soil contamination and water pollution as well as manufacturing-facility pollution and pathogen introduction have improved from the date of some of the earlier findings (1989, e.g.) listed below. There are many more examples to be found.

Completely untrue that "all products from China are bound to be contaminated". That's a false assumption. I didn't say all were clean as that is clear from your links.

It's easy to find a few references about anything and create a blanket statement.

Contaminated drinking water in US cities? All US tap water is polluted.
E. coli on California spinach? Don't eat California produce.
Mad cow disease on Canadian beef? All Canadian beef is tainted.
E. coli in Canadian flour? Stop baking things.

You referenced a superfood site (Teelixir) that actually sells mushroom extracts from China.

With all the new FDA regulations, any supplement ingredient is likely tested 3-5 times for common things like micros and metals before being purchased by a consumer.
  • Agree x 2
  • like x 2
  • Ill informed x 1

#221 Advocatus Diaboli

• 562 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:36 PM

Real Mushrooms wrote:

"Completely untrue that "all products from China are bound to be contaminated". That's a false assumption. I didn't say all were clean as that is clear from your links."

Actually, given that part of Ben’s assertion that you quote, you, in essence, did say, implicitly, that all products from China “were clean” by explicitly claiming the negation of “all products from China are bound to be contaminated ” when you wrote “completely untrue”--which, in combination with Ben’s assertion, parses to: “no products from China are bound to be contaminated”. You now admit that that assumption is false. Asserting “completely untrue” is a negation of the claimed apodictic asseveration made by Ben: “all products from China are bound to be contaminated"

I suspect (I may be wrong) that Ben was employing the rhetorical device of hyperbole to underscore his explicit premise. As you can see, he delimited his original claim of “all” to ”99%”--immediately following that part of his statement which you quote, more hyperbole, maybe. I, for one, didn’t take him literally enough to make a claim such as “Completely untrue”, but, maybe that was hyperbole, too, on your part?

Regarding the second part of Ben’s quote “Nothing clean comes out of that geidi prime”--substantiating that claim would require a great burden of demonstration—as would its negation--implied by: ”Completely untrue”, if, indeed, you meant “Completely untrue” to apply to both parts of Ben’s quote.

Real Mushrooms wrote:

"It's easy to find a few references about anything and create a blanket statement.

Contaminated drinking water in US cities? All US tap water is polluted.
E. coli on California spinach? Don't eat California produce.
Mad cow disease on Canadian beef? All Canadian beef is tainted.
E. coli in Canadian flour? Stop baking things."

I personally made neither blanket statements nor extrapolations from the particular to the general. I merely pointed out, by way of links, some counterexamples to your “Completely untrue” assertion.

Real Mushrooms wrote:

"You referenced a superfood site (Teelixir) that actually sells mushroom extracts from China."

Yes, I did. And?

Real Mushrooms wrote:

"With all the new FDA regulations, any supplement ingredient is likely tested 3-5 times for common things like micros and metals before being purchased by a consumer."

Unfortunately, there are machinations behind importation as well as the operations of the FDA that may not be generally known. Here is an interesting article (from 2007 as near as I can determine):

http://abcnews.go.co...tory?id=4024778

The article at the above link deals with “food” imports. I don’t know to what extent, if any, the points made in the article will apply to supplements or to other ingestible, injectable or topically applied products that the USA imports from China (et alii for that matter). I also don’t know if the conditions outlined in the above article currently (2017) apply.

The takeaway, for me, is to err on the side of caution (Ben) when contemplating taking supplements sourced from China. And, by “caution” I mean investigating to the best of my ability any product that may enter my body by design or by chance.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

• Good Point x 2
  • Unfriendly x 1

#222 EFTANG

• 115 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:47 PM

I'm about to try it in tincture form from here:  http://herbies-herbs...-mushroom-p1108

They make a 1:2 extract from dried herb (or mushroom in this case). Hoping it's quality.

Before you spend your money on a liquid extract you might want to read this - it has some good points to consider before buying...

https://oriveda.word...supplements/#VI

------------------------------------

As for the discussion about China and contamination: this is really not limited to China only. Pointing fingers at China is just a strategy used by smart marketeers and politicians to create a bias in people. Unwarranted, because fraud and corruption are everywhere where money is involved, not just in China.

Read e.g. this report from Interpol: 

https://www.europol....ting-food-fraud

In the US it's the same story - GMO-contaminated food is everywhere (labeling GMO foods as such was deemed 'unnecessary'), 'USDA organic' and 'Natural' have been reduced to mere marketing slogans, and so on.  

See this: http://supplement-facts.org/2012-4.php

I already posted a link about fraud in the lab testing - very worrying. 

The emphasis on 'USDA Organic' as a quality label actually is quite useless in the case of mushrooms IMO. Mushrooms accumulate heavy metals from the soil, and every soil contains heavy metals. 

After Fukushima, the US west coast now also has an increased level of ceasium 137 and strontium 90 everywhere - tests have shown this. And these heavy metals are also absorbed and accumulated by mushrooms.

That's 'contemporary nature'.  So your 'USDA organic' mushroom supplement can still be loaded with heavy metals if it has not been tested for safety and quality afterwards. This testing is NOT part of the USDA organic protocol !!!

• Informative x 1

#223 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:05 PM

i would still not trust anything from china ever. i dont care how badly they try to convince you its clean organic product, they dont even have a set standard for clean and organic product. very little rules apply and most of the stuff is scam. i wont go as far as claim all 100% of china products are fraud and toxic, but im going to tell you my personal experience with shopping chinese products for the past 10 years and how they always turned out toxic and fraud in my personal experience which is very difficult at times to say they are some chinese products that are just ok!

• Pointless, Timewasting x 3
  • Good Point x 2
  • Agree x 1

#224 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:55 PM

I would appreciate a quick reply. I am wanting to grow Lion's Mane but not seeing whether it's doable inside an apartment. Can I actually grow it at home where I live, without ventilator equipment and all that nonsense?

If so, what's the deal with paying for it? It seems to be very easy to grow...

• Enjoying the show x 2
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 2

#225 EFTANG

• 115 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:15 PM

http://nootropicsdep...extract-powder/

The analytical report seems legit. 

That's not an analytical report but a spec sheet. There's no lab information on it, and no FDA registration number.

#226 chipdouglas

• 218 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:27 PM

http://nootropicsdep...extract-powder/

The analytical report seems legit. 

That's not an analytical report but a spec sheet. There's no lab information on it, and no FDA registration number.

What exactly should an analytical report look like in order to be legitimate ? 

#227 EFTANG

• 115 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:11 PM

Well it should at least show the contact details ( name address) and the registration number of the lab and it should be signed by the lab technician that performed the analysis. His name should also be on there because he is responsible for the report.

It should of course show the lab assays used (preferably AOAC or Pharmacopeia standards, not their own inventions -like 'modified XXXX'-  because in that case the outcome cannot be verified by a third party and therefore has little value), the  quality standard and the result of the analysis.

• Informative x 1

#228 EFTANG

• 115 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:14 PM

I would appreciate a quick reply. I am wanting to grow Lion's Mane but not seeing whether it's doable inside an apartment. Can I actually grow it at home where I live, without ventilator equipment and all that nonsense?

You have to eat a enormous amount to get close to the potency of an extract... and you will still not know what you actually get and if there's actually anything worthwhile in your homegrown stuff. 

#229 chipdouglas

• 218 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:43 PM

Well it should at least show the contact details ( name address) and the registration number of the lab and it should be signed by the lab technician that performed the analysis. His name should also be on there because he is responsible for the report.

It should of course show the lab assays used (preferably AOAC or Pharmacopeia standards, not their own inventions -like 'modified XXXX'-  because in that case the outcome cannot be verified by a third party and therefore has little value), the  quality standard and the result of the analysis.

So, in other words what you're saying is that the Nammex analytical report cannot be trusted ? 

#230 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:03 PM

You have to eat a enormous amount to get close to the potency of an extract... and you will still not know what you actually get and if there's actually anything worthwhile in your homegrown stuff.

Thanks for the reply. Why can't I do my own extract using alcohol?

#231 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:53 PM

People seem to be forgetting posting about links to commercial products. Try to avoid this as best you can in a thread discussing the "verdict on Lion's mane".

If you want to start a discussion about the "best place to buy Lion's Mane", please post it here: http://www.longecity...uct-discussion/

Edited by Mind, 17 June 2017 - 11:31 AM.

• Agree x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#232 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:03 PM

i read its quite tasty as food though, one cannot go wrong to try it.

• Good Point x 1

#233 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:30 PM

ok, i emailed fungi perfecti specifically about their chaga product not being grown on birch and hence lacking the active ingredients which makes it medicinal, and here is their response;

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

Our Chaga is made from mycelium, not the conk (or fruiting body, as some call it). Cultivated Chaga lacks betulinic acid (because it's not grown on birch), but it will have B-glucans, arabinoxylans, glycoproteins, ergosterols & triterpenes. At first, betulin was identified as a primary constituent augmenting immune response. More recently, non-betulin compounds from the mycelium called lanosterols are now known to be responsible for its powerful antioxidant and immune enhancing properties. Harvesting Chaga out from the wild isn't a sustainable practice, so we happily grow ours in the lab, holding strong to our moral code and sustainable ecological practices.

There is abundant research on the beneficial properties of mycelium. I encourage you to use Google Scholar and or PubMed.gov if you're interested in researching mycelium. http://mushroomreferences.com/ is another excellent online resource with a wealth of information on mycelium! If you have a focused interest a certain mushroom; use of the Latin binomial will greatly aid in your search parameters.  For example, Chaga is Inonotus obliquus, Turkey Tail is Trametes versicolor, etc. 

Mushrooms are a product of where and how they are grown, so we feel it is important to look for certain things when choosing a mushroom supplement. 

1) Are they certified organic?- This ensures product purity and protection for the environment. 
2) Are they USA grown?- This ensures you are supporting sustainable growers in the USA. 
3) Do they have Mycelium for optimal health support- Mycelium is the immune system of the mushroom, and the most powerful part of the organism for supporting health. 
4) Do they have scientific studies demonstrating efficacy?- Can they demonstrate the value of their products for your health? 
5) Are they Non-GMO Project verified?- This preserves the wisdom of nature to benefit health and wellness 
6) Heat-treated for safety and bioavailability?- To actually absorb the nutrients of mushrooms, they need to be heat treated. 
7) Do they have independent 3rd Party Quality Testing?- This verifies the identity, screens for pesticides, heavy metals and other contaminants to ensure purity.

Our products are grown at the base of the Olympic Rainforest with the highest quality laboratory and growing environments. We purity test batch to batch. We grow and process every single mushroom in our product. There is no other mushroom supplement company that has such complete control over their raw materials. 

When we source our mushrooms from the Olympic Rainforest, Paul and Dusty leave the habitat and the original mushroom intact and undisturbed. Only a small sample is required and taken for growing in our laboratories at the farm. Our Host Defense methods protect the native habitat, and our vast culture library of rare and endangered mushroom species has been called a national treasure. 

Host defense is a 100% organic food producer and processor. We are the best-documented and longest-certified organic mushroom company in the US. Our products have been chosen and utilized in scientific studies conducted by the NIH. 

You are welcome to check out our Host Defense website, which has more in-depth information on the products, supporting research, and our company. You can make purchases and find more information on our Fungi Perfecti web page.  

We hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to contact us with any further questions. We hope you have a lovely day.

what do you guys think of this response? makes sense, good enough? personally i doubt chaga's mycelium is as good as the reliable medicinal body of chaga, what do you think??

#234 EFTANG

• 115 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:43 AM

I thought this thread is about Lion's mane ???

Anyway. this response sent to you underlines in my opinion how Stamets and his team are apparently in denial or unaware of of new developments and the current state of affairs. It also shows how their business is mainly relying on marketing (meaning just talk), not facts.

ok, i emailed fungi perfecti specifically about their chaga product not being grown on birch and hence lacking the active ingredients which makes it medicinal, and here is their response;

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

Our Chaga is made from mycelium, not the conk (or fruiting body, as some call it). Cultivated Chaga lacks betulinic acid (because it's not grown on birch), but it will have B-glucans, arabinoxylans, glycoproteins, ergosterols & triterpenes.

This is mainly rubbish. Mycelium is high in polysaccharides (mainly chitin and other non-bioactive polysaccharides) and low in beta-glucan. Tests have shown this. Triterpenes are below the level of detection in mycelium.

Fungi do NOT contain arabinoxylans; this is only found in plants (like grains, it is a component of gluten). Glycoproteins, ergosterol : without any objective test results to back this up it is just marketing talk. 

At first, betulin was identified as a primary constituent augmenting immune response. More recently, non-betulin compounds from the mycelium called lanosterols are now known to be responsible for its powerful antioxidant and immune enhancing properties. Harvesting Chaga out from the wild isn't a sustainable practice, so we happily grow ours in the lab, holding strong to our moral code and sustainable ecological practices.

Betulin / betulinic acid was never considered a primary constituent augmenting whatever immune response - it was always beta-glucans. Google and find confirmation... Betulin and betulinic acid is almost not bioavailable and has a solubility of almost zero, making it quite useless as a compound in a supplement that is supposed to be taken orally.  Research shows that even when injected it fails to show effects. It does show promise in the lab though, so science is working on a way to improve the bioavailability.

Lanosterol and other sterols are only a fraction of what they should be in cultured mycelium - see the table below for a comparison between wild and cultured Chaga.

OmhLVJm.png

There is abundant research on the beneficial properties of mycelium. I encourage you to use Google Scholar and or PubMed.gov if you're interested in researching mycelium. http://mushroomreferences.com/ is another excellent online resource with a wealth of information on mycelium! If you have a focused interest a certain mushroom; use of the Latin binomial will greatly aid in your search parameters.  For example, Chaga is Inonotus obliquus, Turkey Tail is Trametes versicolor, etc. 

Mushrooms are a product of where and how they are grown, so we feel it is important to look for certain things when choosing a mushroom supplement. 

1) Are they certified organic?- This ensures product purity and protection for the environment. 

Marketing talk. 'Organic' means, simply put, that specific pesticides were not used. Since mushrooms accumulate heavy metals no matter where and how they are grown, only lab testing can guarantee purity. Stamets says he is testing, but does not share these tests with his customers.

2) Are they USA grown?- This ensures you are supporting sustainable growers in the USA. 

As far as I am concerned - bullshit. The only ones cultivating Chaga in the US are Stamets and Aloha Medicinals AFAIK. Neither of those have produced products that score well when tested.

Patriotism used as leverage to sell more stuff is an old trick. Used in particular by sellers who have little else to use, sellers like Aloha, Stamets and Natural News. None of these have hard objective facts to share. I am from a country with a history that clearly shows how patriotism can be abused by politicians and business-men to make voters / customers do what you want them to do....  such claims are best ignored IMO.

3) Do they have Mycelium for optimal health support- Mycelium is the immune system of the mushroom, and the most powerful part of the organism for supporting health. 

This made my jaw drop. Must be one of the most idiotic claims ever. Unless you also think that the apple tree is the immune system of the apple...  All research shows the fruiting body has in general the biggest variety and quantity of bioactive constituents.

4) Do they have scientific studies demonstrating efficacy?- Can they demonstrate the value of their products for your health? 
5) Are they Non-GMO Project verified?- This preserves the wisdom of nature to benefit health and wellness 

"preserves the wisdom of nature to benefit health and wellness " - I don't even know what that means... In the US however where GMO grains etc do not have to be labeled as such in many cases mushrooms might be grown on / in them, and therefore cannot be trusted either. I never heard of a genetically modified mushroom so far, but who knows...

6) Heat-treated for safety and bioavailability?- To actually absorb the nutrients of mushrooms, they need to be heat treated. 

Heat treated is a marketing term. Extraction is the proper term, but Stamets cannot afford to build an extraction facility in the US, nor can anybody else - it is too expensive. His products are not extracted so he can't say 'extracted'. Independent research showed that Stamets 'heat-treated' products are very low in beta-glucans ( 1 - 3 %) and very high in alpha-glucans (meaning: starch). 

7) Do they have independent 3rd Party Quality Testing?- This verifies the identity, screens for pesticides, heavy metals and other contaminants to ensure purity.

Incomplete recommendation. He leaves out 'tested for active ingredients'.

Stamets does not  share the test results of his products with his customers. Actually most sellers, including popular ones such as Nootropic Depot do not share actual test results - they publish a 'spec sheet' and call that a 'Certificate of Analysis'. So far only Four Sigmatic and Oriveda sent me actual independent lab tests when asked, (signed by an actual lab technician and published by an FDA-registered lab) showing the safety and quality of their products. That other sellers don't share actual test results (such as beta-glucan test results) is odd. You have to take their word for it.

Our products are grown at the base of the Olympic Rainforest with the highest quality laboratory and growing environments. We purity test batch to batch. We grow and process every single mushroom in our product. There is no other mushroom supplement company that has such complete control over their raw materials. 

When we source our mushrooms from the Olympic Rainforest, Paul and Dusty leave the habitat and the original mushroom intact and undisturbed. Only a small sample is required and taken for growing in our laboratories at the farm. Our Host Defense methods protect the native habitat, and our vast culture library of rare and endangered mushroom species has been called a national treasure. 

Host defense is a 100% organic food producer and processor. We are the best-documented and longest-certified organic mushroom company in the US. Our products have been chosen and utilized in scientific studies conducted by the NIH. 

Marketing talk. They were also dropped in favour of Japanese and Chinese products later.

You are welcome to check out our Host Defense website, which has more in-depth information on the products, supporting research, and our company. You can make purchases and find more information on our Fungi Perfecti web page.  

We hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to contact us with any further questions. We hope you have a lovely day.

what do you guys think of this response? makes sense, good enough? personally i doubt chaga's mycelium is as good as the reliable medicinal body of chaga, what do you think??

Paul Stamets was a hero to me and his famous TED talk was an inspiration. But that was 10 years ago and now he is IMO mainly defending his commercial interests by emphasising the wrong things and leaving out new developments.

In Stamets's universe everything from China is bad and beta-glucan tests are still unreliable ( despite having been validated by the AOAC). His publications dedicate at least half a page to emphasise his honorary awards and such - a marketing move without actual value, only used to give more weight to his statements in that publication. It would be better to see actual objective facts instead of his honorary degrees.

I think it's sad.

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

#235 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:37 AM

realmushrooms and vlad, whats your take on this; https://old.reddit.c...se_of_mycelium/

it seems still grey area of weather grain grown mushrooms and mycelium are working or not

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#236 EFTANG

• 115 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:56 PM

realmushrooms and vlad, whats your take on this; https://old.reddit.c...se_of_mycelium/

it seems still grey area of weather grain grown mushrooms and mycelium are working or not

Not at all.

In that reddit thread Misteryouaresodumb gives an excellent reply that leaves little room for discussion IMO. On top of that what is important but he forgot to mention it - what is the level of active ingredients in the supplement you're about to buy ?  It's not just about biomass vs. fruiting body - it's about the 'medicinal' potential, which is defined by the active compounds of the product, not just its name. Not all Reishi / Lion's Mane/ etc etc is alike in other words. That's common sense

Stamets will never reveal those numbers (why ? because based on the AOAC McCleary report -2016-  those numbers were so low that he would be out of business immediately: 1- 3% beta-glucan with over 65% of useless starch).

If you feel good spending a lot of dollars on an unspecified and therefore controversial product just because the guy selling it has been on TV a lot you should do that. I'd feel more confident purchasing a well specified and science-based supplement.

• Agree x 1

#237 AOIministrator

• 33 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:17 PM

Verdict lions mane:

costs $10 per day if dosed correctly

/thread

Edited by AOIministrator, 06 August 2018 - 11:17 PM.

• Needs references x 1
  • unsure x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#238 triguy

• 79 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 01:48 AM

what is the the dosage for lions mane???

#239 Real Mushrooms

• 101 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 03:42 AM

2-3g/day. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/18844328

• Ill informed x 1
  • Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#240 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 August 2018 - 03:22 AM

well, i have been taking your healthy mushrooms for a long time until i tried the magic counterpart and boy did it fix depression first time. 1 week. then second time i overdosed causing me to be depressed and even suicidal. whole point, those are the mushrooms to buy if you want something out of it, the others are just bits and pennies

• Off-Topic x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lions mane, nootropic, nootropics, ngf, brain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users