- - - - -

Coluracetam - serious side effect report

nootropic coluracetam neuropathy

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Limburger

• 31 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:49 PM

Serious side effect report: possible neuropathy?

So, after my first experience with coluracetam (10mg sublingual), I experienced major facial flushing. It looked and felt like sunburn, and I read a report of another person experiencing it even more severely. I did not revisit it for several months after that. When I did, I kept the dosage low. I responded very, very well to it. 5-6mg orally was better for motivation, energy, concentration, and improvements to working memory than anything I had tried. Prior to this, the only noots that had benefited me out of a very long list were noopept, NAC, and SAM-e--all of which I eventually discontinued due to lack of consistency or due to mild but annoying side-effects.

Several weeks in to my intermittent use of coluracetam, I developed a strange sensation that was most intense in the tips of the fingers of both hands and faded gradually up to my elbows. It was a strange tingly numbness. Worse--and this is hard to describe--it was quite unpleasant when I touched things with my hands. Just slipping my hands into my pockets caused the unpleasant shudder-provoking sensation to shoot up my arms. It was exactly the same feeling that I get from the vibrations through my hand when I drag my fingernails down a chalkboard. All the time.

I hadn't changed anything else in my regimen, so I eliminated coluracetam. The unpleasant senation continued unabated for another four weeks before it for the most part subsided, so I assumed that it was caused by something other than the coluracetam. After another month or so, I took another dose of coluracetam and had no negative effects. The following day, I took another dose. Within a half an hour, the sensation returned, and at the same intensity it had months before. It has been three weeks since that dose, and the sensation is still mildly present.

It's not conclusive, but it's clearly been concerning for me. I thought I would share here and create a separate thread for this experience to let the community know.

#2 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:09 PM

Wow can you link to anyone else who's had a similar experience? First, negative account I've heard about Colur - been taking it myself for about 6 months...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Limburger

• Topic Starter
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:09 PM

I don't know of any other people that have experienced this side effect. This post was of another person that had the same feverish facial flushing side effect. In the interest of science, I waited until the symptoms subsided again and took 5mg of coluracetam. Sure enough, several hours later, I started noticing some strange peripheral pseudo-tingling/numbness. Six hours later, it had evened out into the same sensation. Four days later, I still have some symptoms from it. I'm leaving coluracetam alone for good, which is a huge drag considering how well it works for me.

#4 Baten

• 785 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:45 PM

Drug rash?

#5 Limburger

• Topic Starter
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:39 PM

Seems likely, but that's not the side effect that concerns me. The neuropathy-like symptoms that last for days or weeks after a single dose were what concerned me. I haven't read any reports of anyone else experiencing that, though.

#6 PalmAnita

• 97 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2015 - 07:51 PM

Allergic / immune reaction to the coluractam or even to a synthesis byproduct? Could be anything or nothing, unfortunately, but I'm no expert on this topic either.

I've had some minor skin rash twice or so to different research chemicals which I knew that I tolerate them, so it was very likely not the compound itself but some impurity causing the problems. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Limburger

• Topic Starter
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:52 PM

Possible, but seeing as:

(A) The coluracetam is pharmacologically active

(B) The dose used is ~5mg

it seems that if there is a contaminant, only an EXTREMELY minute amount is likely to be present. While there are some drugs that are active in the microgram dosage level, it seems to me that Occam's razor would suggest that it's not a reaction to a few micrograms of a contaminant. Given how few people have self-experimented with Colu, it seems more likely that it's an idiosyncratic reaction to the drug itself than an idiosyncratic reaction to a contaminant. If I had suspected a contaminant, I would have mentioned the name of the vendor in the first post; seeing as many people use the vendor's coluracetam and I'm the only person to so far post about this side effect, I haven't. If there were several people with the same side effect, I would have compared notes to see if contamination was a serious possibility, of course. I want to be responsible because it was an unusually effective nootropic except for the whole long-term nerve damagey thing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nootropic, coluracetam, neuropathy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users