Biodistribution of C60oo in mice and efficacy in xenograft model of AML

c60oo c60 ichor therapeutics

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#61 thedarkbobo

• 153 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:54 AM

Sure, happy to clarify.

This study design was based on an expected consumption of 4mg/kg C60oo per mouse over the course of a week. The measurements were based on a fixed average mouse mass and a fixed food consumption so there will be variance in the actual amount consumed (our current estimates are ~2.5 - 3 mg/kg). We are tracking food consumption and mouse weights so we can take these variables into consideration at the conclusion of the study.

Thank you for the clarification.

Without replicating the Baati study with respect to dose and length of dose, any results regarding longevity are (to use 2 British terms) bolloks and rubbish.

Furthermore the strain of mouse you use [C57BL/6]is not particularly suited for longevity analysis as it

1. develops tumors on a fatty diet

2. prefers to drink ethanol [not a normal mouse]

3. tends to diabetes

4. mean study lifespans range from 600 days to almost 900 days with a huge standard deviation

Also, the tumor development rate at death is 70%;   cancer as a cause of death [because of C60] would only be [potentially] statistically significant if every single mouse died OF CANCER in  more than 1 iteration of the study.

http://www.informati...ocs/C57BL.shtml

Bollocks and rubbish constitute an unreasonable assessment. We'll have to agree to disagree on this. A "lifespan study" with n=18 (n=6 per group), as Baati's was, is not valid nor admissible as a lifespan by any stretch of the imagination. I do not contest that the Baati study was well done, but as a toxicity assessment, not a lifespan study. But to each his/her own.

That said, I am not suggesting that the lifespan study is an end all be all. I am simply suggesting, based on all available data, that there is a reasonable (in my mind likely) potential for C60oo sourcing to be a serious confounding variable. On what basis do you think this is an unreasonable hypothesis? Or are you simply emphasizing other possibilities in the interest of thoroughness?

First of all thanks for doing the research. I don't think the study is flawed, just much different than we expected.

I agree that we can make some kind of list, for me that would be above:

(at least) that this strain:

1. develops tumors on a fatty diet

2. prefers to drink ethanol [not a normal mouse]

3. tends to diabetes

Now the question for 4 - was there a difference between calorie intake between mouse groups?

I mean if CR can extend mice lifespan then additional calorie intake (fat from oil) might shorten it vs control.

5. dose too high (I am taking up to around 0.125 mg/kg with concentration of ~0.6mg/ml dose around 10ml max; previous study was also lower). This is quite strong point for me.

6. used method to dissolve C60 in Olive oil (aka sonification)

Wish you all the best.

#62 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:26 AM

Can I strongly suggest to be more friendly to kmoody .

Hostilities achieve nothing.

The last thing we want is for him to falsely tell us that the results are positive and the design of his study is perfect. He is being honest with the results and the design of the experiment for this we should applaud him, no doubt it takes a lot of energy to constantly answer our questions. I also applaud the fact that he is trying to explain the stuff to the rest of us scientifically uneducated folk.

Sensei you might raise some good points (like the strain of rats), but please be nice. Calling our own group funded research "bollocks" to our researcher is too close to an insult for me to be comfortable with - we've had people like ScienceGuy leave because exactly of comments like that. Everyone has their own opinion, but please moderate. 

I don't see the problem of not replicating the original study completely, the original study was hardly comprehensive - certainly this design accelerates the speed of the results?  I think the cause of mortality may be of interest - if it's all cancer then it's not looking like a problem being caused by OO overdose.

He did mention the results were "drastic" suggesting the result is pretty hard to ignore. Before we jump to other things we should rule out impure C60 as an actual cause first before attacking other elements of the study.

• Agree x 11
  • Good Point x 2

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for C60 HEALTH to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 ambivalent

• 745 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:43 PM

I must agree that I don't see the requrement to achieve replication of the Baati study.

We measure to reduce uncertainty and we can certainly do that with a follow up c60oo study even if there are significant changes from the Baati study.

Really, what we are all looking for in any follow w.r.t to the longevity aspect of the Baati study is one simple, qualitative aspect of the outcome: massive life extension. If that results then we and the scientific community gain enormous confidence in the fidelity of the original Baati study and of course in the life extending properties of c60oo.  

I don't agree  that an n=6 life extension study is not valid or admissible - it simply depends on the effects: if we manage three mice, with no controls, to 8 years of age on daily dosing of c60oo then we gain extreme confidence that c60 has life extending properties. Of course we learn more from larger studies but we can still learn from smaller studies, more so if we have significant outcomes.

• Agree x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#64 Nuke

• 126 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for the updates, keep up the awesome work. I'll keep a close eye on this.

I quickly tried searching and didn't find anything, but can you please give us the method you used to create the first batch inhouse? The C60oo you used for the first, positive study. What color were it? 

#65 HighDesertWizard

• 830 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:57 PM

Can I strongly suggest to be more friendly to kmoody .

Hostilities achieve nothing.

The last thing we want is for him to falsely tell us that the results are positive and the design of his study is perfect. He is being honest with the results and the design of the experiment for this we should applaud him, no doubt it takes a lot of energy to constantly answer our questions. I also applaud the fact that he is trying to explain the stuff to the rest of us scientifically uneducated folk.

Sensei you might raise some good points (like the strain of rats), but please be nice. Calling our own group funded research "bollocks" to our researcher is too close to an insult for me to be comfortable with - we've had people like ScienceGuy leave because exactly of comments like that. Everyone has their own opinion, but please moderate. 

I don't see the problem of not replicating the original study completely, the original study was hardly comprehensive - certainly this design accelerates the speed of the results?  I think the cause of mortality may be of interest - if it's all cancer then it's not looking like a problem being caused by OO overdose.

He did mention the results were "drastic" suggesting the result is pretty hard to ignore. Before we jump to other things we should rule out impure C60 as an actual cause first before attacking other elements of the study.

I enjoy Sensei's posts, but I agree that KMoody is doing an incredible job for our community and that Sensei has been unnecessarily unkind. Positive emotions, e.g., kindness, are lifespan promoting via an anti-inflammatory mechanism...

Your analysis of sourcing quality is a critical task, Kelsey, and it's comforting to know we have someone looking at this issue as competent as you obviously are. Keep up the great work!

Also, replicating the Baati study lifespan benefit result by experiment may not be necessary to move this science forward dramatically. If we can determine the Mechanism of Action, in a shorter time frame by an attempt to Falsify the Explanation underlying it (i.e., the hypothetical Mechanism), then, any health and longevity implications of that mechanism that are already known pertain...

Imagine it... The F-C60-OO Longevity Benefit might be an unexpected outcome of some unique leveraging of an already known mechanism...

Just sayin'...

:-D

Edited by HighDesertWizard, 29 December 2015 - 04:10 PM.

• Agree x 1

#66 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:15 PM

Apologies if I came off as hostile.

From a scientific standpoint the 4 mg/kg [apparently weekly] dosing of the mice will neither confirm nor falsify the Baati study  -- even if they show a decreased lifespan and increase in all cause mortality.

What it may show is that 4 mg/kg weekly is the reason for that, only if the mortality rates fall outside of the 3 sigma boundaries with respect to C5BL6 mice.

The dose makes the poison, why wouldn't the lifespan arm use the same dosing as Baati?

Edited by sensei, 29 December 2015 - 05:17 PM.

• Good Point x 2
  • Agree x 1

#67 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:02 PM

There have been some forum members attempts to see whether they could lengthen lifespan of mice with C60oo. I read with interest the AgeVivo attempt where sadly the mice died of cancer. Unfortunately none delivered on the Baati promise. There seems always something that may have prevented it. In the AgeVivo attempt I read the C60oo came from Baati. Then the discussion was maybe the oil had gone bad and caused byproducts (or the mice already had cancer when administration started). Point being that there seems to be a narrow window, only hit by Baati, resulting in success. Or perhaps it can be explained that there is a big chance that the C60oo solution is having issues. With cancer as a not ruled out consequence my personal view is that C60oo purity checking and risk for degradation analyses over time should be a minimum safety step.

Edited by stefan_001, 29 December 2015 - 09:03 PM.

#68 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:04 AM

Repeatable experimentation is the foundation of science.

To confirm the results of a study, one must strive to replicate the original as closely as possible.

ANY STUDY trying to confirm the Baati study results, MUST replicate the Baati study as closely as possible.

Furthermore, during the design of any experiment attempting to identify the effect of a substance on longevity, extraordinary consideration should be given to the selection of study subjects that have a very consistent lifespan profile with regard to mean, maximum and standard deviation.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 6

#69 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:06 AM

How many times does Kelsey have to point out that they are not trying to replicate Baati?

• Agree x 3
  • like x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • WellResearched x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#70 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:15 AM

And how many times does he have to point out that his c60oo mice ARE DYING FASTER than his controls?
  • Agree x 2

#71 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 04:02 AM

How many times does Kelsey have to point out that they are not trying to replicate Baati?

Never said they were.

But the only mammalian study that shows a lifespan increase is Baati. So why NOT replicate? That's BASIC SCIENCE.

• Disagree x 2
  • Unfriendly x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#72 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 04:14 AM

And how many times does he have to point out that his c60oo mice ARE DYING FASTER than his controls?

And there is the misconception.

It really does not matter if his C60OO mice are dying faster than the controls.

What matters is if they are dying [earlier] outside of the statistical neighborhood for the strain of mouse being used in the experiment.

What many here do not know is that the strain of mouse being used (C57BL6) has a huge range of lifespan.  Depending on the study it ranges from a median of 600 days to a mean of anywhere from 700, 800, 900 -- and a maximum lifespan of 1200 days.

Even if all the C60OO mice die on the low side of the mean but within -1 SD (potentially even -2 SD depending on the numbers), it really isn't a statistical anomaly -- it could have happened by chance ( meaning NOT because of the C60) with n=45

Furthermore the gross tumor incidence in C57BL6 mice is 70% (700 out of 1000 mice will get tumors) -- meaning it is not that unlikely that all 45 C60OO treated mice would get cancer.

What makes the Baati rats so unique is that every single C60OO treated rat lived longer than the normal maximum wistar lifespan. Making it a statistically significant event even with n=6.

What we CAN say is that the current study indicates that the dosing protocol used DOES NOT increase lifespan of C57BL6 mice.

Unless the earlier dying is outside the statistical neighborhood for C57BL6 mice (overall - not controls) we CANNOT say  that C60OO is the cause.

Edited by sensei, 30 December 2015 - 04:27 AM.

• Informative x 3
  • Disagree x 2
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#73 kmoody

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:28 AM

Never said they were.

But the only mammalian study that shows a lifespan increase is Baati. So why NOT replicate? That's BASIC SCIENCE.

Find me the funding and I would seriously consider doing this. Though I find it difficult to believe a sponsor familiar with lifespan study design would condone a true repeat study.

Of course, if there is an issue with C60oo sourcing it likely would not matter if I repeated Baati's verbatim. Note that Baati did not establish product specifications for C60oo (my definition of "product specifications" may differ than that of others, so I will specify GMP/OECD compliant product specifications and characterization thereof as a working definition here). Despite all the hype, no one really knows what those rats were given and what is having the positive effects. There is only speculation until a properly manufactured product shows efficacy or a mechanism of action is clearly determined.

It really does not matter if his C60OO mice are dying faster than the controls.

What matters is if they are dying [earlier] outside of the statistical neighborhood for the strain of mouse being used in the experiment.

What many here do not know is that the strain of mouse being used (C57BL6) has a huge range of lifespan.  Depending on the study it ranges from a median of 600 days to a mean of anywhere from 700, 800, 900 -- and a maximum lifespan of 1200 days.

Even if all the C60OO mice die on the low side of the mean but within -1 SD (potentially even -2 SD depending on the numbers), it really isn't a statistical anomaly -- it could have happened by chance ( meaning NOT because of the C60) with n=45

Furthermore the gross tumor incidence in C57BL6 mice is 70% (700 out of 1000 mice will get tumors) -- meaning it is not that unlikely that all 45 C60OO treated mice would get cancer.

What makes the Baati rats so unique is that every single C60OO treated rat lived longer than the normal maximum wistar lifespan. Making it a statistically significant event even with n=6.

What we CAN say is that the current study indicates that the dosing protocol used DOES NOT increase lifespan of C57BL6 mice.

Unless the earlier dying is outside the statistical neighborhood for C57BL6 mice (overall - not controls) we CANNOT say  that C60OO is the cause.

It very much matters if my C60oo mice are dying faster than the controls. Cigarette companies made similar arguments over cancer and death statistics, but it does not matter. The burden of proof necessary to disclose potential safety concerns is substantially lower than that required to make efficacy claims. Period.

Even though our data is currently only trend data and nothing can be concluded (and I agree with sensei on this point, nothing can be concluded from ANY of our trend data), that simply does not matter. Folks taking C60oo should be aware that there MIGHT be substantiation of risk. What individuals choose to do with this information is up to them. I certainly am not suggesting or supporting one particular course of action over another. However, to state that this data does not matter is naive and irresponsible.

Edited by kmoody, 30 December 2015 - 05:33 AM.

• Good Point x 2
  • Agree x 1

#74 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 07:23 AM

But 3 studies with significant results pointing to lower life span (I assume the range was included in the statistics), there is at least a chance that it is statistically relevant. Second opinion from anybody?

It's not bad science to have a smaller research model due to funding and time related issues, it's just economical science. 

Let's focus on the issue nobody has really solved - how do we know we have the "right c60?" - we need to establish this first, and these tests can lead to designs of better tests that rule out this problem.

Also the pilot study did confirm the life extension properties (it just used different c60 oil), I'm not sure how much the mice strain's life span was considered in statistical calculations, but there must be some kind of error correction right? e.g. I am assuming the mice are dying before / or close to the minimum age in the current 3 tests. 

Was there a particular reason wistar rats were not used?

Anyhow nobody is perfect, and I'm sure there are perhaps some design considerations that are being raised now that could be incorporated in further studies. 

I'm not as educated as you lot in science, but again I beg to moderate your comments - don't use words like bad, bollocks, crap, stupid etc. It may be like a British thing that could be mistaken as hostile.

Remain subjective and we will make progress.

Edited by Major Legend, 30 December 2015 - 07:26 AM.

• Agree x 3

#75 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:10 AM

I think that both kmoody and sensei make solid points - but from two completely vantage points.

The way I see it - kmoody has a very limited budget ( and probably time) to prove or disprove c60oo efficacy which is likely why he picked 1) pre-aged 2) genetically predisposed to various metabolic issues (diabetes) mice 3)  fed C60-oo via a different method (food spiking instead of oral gavage) and 4) general high cancer incidence won't affect the results negatively but if successful, the treatment will highlight the great efficacy of C60-oo intake e.g. "if these very prone to cancer mice didn't develop much (or ideally, not at all) then a normal mouse would fare even better with C60oo". While significant, I think these are somewhat less important than the fact that this particular strain does not fare well on fatty diet and they are being fed significant amounts of OO - it almost turns from longevity into a toxicity study.  ;)

In this backdrop, running potentially 6-year long experiment seems unfeasible (think time and $$$)  which is perhaps one of the reasons Baati's study design parameters have not been followed.

Given sufficient time and funding, Baati specs may potentially be replicated and even then, it appears that the C60oo preparation method may prove crucial to the outcomes so it comes with a major confounding factor of its own. 

I also expressed concerns of the pilot study when the results were first reported exactly due to the multiple confounding factors at play.

It seems that there are (again) several and quite strong odds placed against these mice ( and C60oo) to overcome as pointed out by sensei - fat intolerance, big variability in life expectancy and overall high tumor incidence.

Hopefully, somehow they can be filtered out (now thanks to the relatively large (n=45) sample size) when interpreting the study final results - something quite challenging with n=6 as in the initial study.

Niner - can all these confounders be scientifically accounted for (and excluded) upon analysis? 

And if I can add my questions to Kmoody:

1) What was the rationale behind picking the current 4mg/kg weekly dosage (both in the AML and the current study)? Why has not the more effective 8mg/kg dose used in the AML study been espoused?

2) Given the strong suspicion of the particular C60oo product being the major cause for the currently observed accelerated mortality, are you planning to replace the C60oo source or you will continue running the study with the original C60oo?

3) Is it logical to conclude if these very cancer-prone mice are not developing cancer then a non-genetically crippled mouse would fare better or that would be too big of a leap in thought?

#76 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:58 AM

the fact that this particular strain does not fare well on fatty diet and they are being fed significant amounts of OO

A control feed with only oo as in the Baati study will clarify this.

are you planning to replace the C60oo source or you will continue running the study with the original C60oo?

I don't want to sound redundant but sonificated C60oo is a different compound and it would be better left alone, any data coming from research done with that compound should be part of a whole different research I am not sure we really need.

Despite all the hype, no one really knows what those rats were given and what is having the positive effects. There is only speculation until a properly manufactured product shows efficacy or a mechanism of action is clearly determined.

This is a good point but from a much less technical point of view lets try to keep it in reasonable perspective.

About C60 there is probably not much to go wrong as long as the source is the same (and it is) and the specifications (purity percentage) are the same. 

The issue is the olive oil, even getting it from the same supplier would not ensure exact same chemical composition because too many variables in olive oil production, this will always be "imprecise" as a factor, doesn't matter how hard one try. 

But from people supplementing with C60oo, homemade as well as bought (almost nobody uses sonificated) we have reports of positive health outcomes pretty much consistent and similar regardless of the olive oil used.

Only one user, after experimenting with different kinds of oo, reported different outcomes for a specific pathology.

In my view a great deal of action has to do with the oo therefore its composition it is likely to make a difference but to standardize this part of the equation would be probably very complicated, it is my opinion that research has to be done with "homemade" C60oo where the source and purity of the C60 is certainly known as well as its concentration in the final product, the olive oil would still be a variable but I suppose for now we have to live with it.

This is probably the only way to ensure the variables are kept as low as possible.

One thing is sure: sonificated C60oo is a whole different compound and should not be used in research for our purposes.  

• Agree x 1

#77 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:25 AM

I meant objective not subjective of course...can't edit my post now.

• like x 1

#78 Nuke

• 126 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:25 AM

How easy is it to test for oxidation products in olive oil? Maybe we should compare heated olive oil to sonificated olive oil to a control? We already know heating unsaturated fatty acids is a bad idea. I believe sonification is a bad idea too, but the only way to be sure is to test. This will not give us a definite answer, but it will be a start.

#79 Invariant

• 176 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:56 AM

Kmoody, could you confirm that the control group is being fed plain OO? If this is not the case, do you agree that a reasonable alternative hypothesis for the observed increase in mortality in the C60OO group is that the fat is bad for these mice?

• Good Point x 1

#80 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:43 AM

Despite all the hype, no one really knows what those rats were given and what is having the positive effects. There is only speculation until a properly manufactured product shows efficacy or a mechanism of action is clearly determined.

But haven't you plunged into testing on animals using a product prepared by a method unknown to you (at the time) and highly problematical? People here saw the SES/oil product as suspect some time ago. Anything prepared with heat, high shear or ultrasonic energy has to be suspect. And the same goes for using an oil product that is years old as one person here did. So any data generated that indicates a problem can't be said to be a problem with C60/EVOO per se, but with C60/EVOO prepared by a certain method or containing some level of rancidity.

• Good Point x 2
  • Agree x 1

#81 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:32 PM

But haven't you plunged into testing on animals using a product prepared by a method unknown to you (at the time) and highly problematical? People here saw the SES/oil product as suspect some time ago. Anything prepared with heat, high shear or ultrasonic energy has to be suspect. And the same goes for using an oil product that is years old as one person here did. So any data generated that indicates a problem can't be said to be a problem with C60/EVOO per se, but with C60/EVOO prepared by a certain method or containing some level of rancidity.

I believe he said that he was actually worried the quality of the C60 he was preparing wouldn't be as good as something that came from the actual manufacturer SES. He simply assumed he was actually using higher quality C60 when he isn't - well we don't know for sure yet what happened.

Yeah I read the C60 thread some people did raise these points, but they are buried as the c60 thread is like 60 pages or something so he probably never read those comments, no doubt he is getting a lot of useful feedback for a better design in the future.

• Good Point x 1

#82 kmoody

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:35 PM

Let's focus on the issue nobody has really solved - how do we know we have the "right c60?" - we need to establish this first, and these tests can lead to designs of better tests that rule out this problem.

Also the pilot study did confirm the life extension properties (it just used different c60 oil), I'm not sure how much the mice strain's life span was considered in statistical calculations, but there must be some kind of error correction right? e.g. I am assuming the mice are dying before / or close to the minimum age in the current 3 tests. 

Was there a particular reason wistar rats were not used?

Agreed on your first point. This must be established first.

Wistar rats were not used in our study because we only use mice in our laboratory (though we expect to have rats in the near future) and because of the cost and time expense. C57BL/6 male mice are the only model that can be purchased pre-aged, which knocks about a year off the study duration. That is largely why this model was chosen.

And if I can add my questions to Kmoody:

1) What was the rationale behind picking the current 4mg/kg weekly dosage (both in the AML and the current study)? Why has not the more effective 8mg/kg dose used in the AML study been espoused?

2) Given the strong suspicion of the particular C60oo product being the major cause for the currently observed accelerated mortality, are you planning to replace the C60oo source or you will continue running the study with the original C60oo?

3) Is it logical to conclude if these very cancer-prone mice are not developing cancer then a non-genetically crippled mouse would fare better or that would be too big of a leap in thought?

1. I might have mis-typed that. We are doing 8mg/kg in the AML study. We chose the 4mg/kg because this is similar to what Baati chose. Since we were using a dietary form of administration we opted not to do a loading dose but did not slow or stop administration later as Baati did. We keep an approximate 4mg/kg/week going throughout.

2. No. We will complete at least two of the three studies as they are. For the lifespan study, we may choose to terminate the C60oo arms and restart it using our formulation. This has not yet been decided however, and is pending more data.

3. Too big of a leap in thought. But note that with the off-the-shelf C60oo we are seeing an INCREASE in cancer burden in our AML model and our lifespan study mice (a different strain) are not all cancer free.

One thing is sure: sonificated C60oo is a whole different compound and should not be used in research for our purposes.  

I agree this is likely. Which is why I am not suggesting C60oo does not have positive effects (particularly since I saw such a dramatic positive effect in my pilot study). Rather, we think that the C60oo purchased off-the-shelf from the vendor may have been prepared in a manner inconsistent with our (and Baati's) prep.

Kmoody, could you confirm that the control group is being fed plain OO? If this is not the case, do you agree that a reasonable alternative hypothesis for the observed increase in mortality in the C60OO group is that the fat is bad for these mice?

For the AML there is an olive oil only control. For the lifespan study we do have an indirect control for olive oil.

Group 1: C60oo only

Group 2: Olive oil + Proprietary Formulation

Group 3: C60oo + Proprietary Formulation

Groups 1 and 3 are trending worse than group 2.

Yes. This is precisely why I want to get away from research grade studies and move into FDA compliant studies. It eliminates these variables. What seems to not be appreciated here is "plunging into testing... using a product prepared by a method unknown to you" is how most research is done in small companies and in many universities.

If you did this study at a university, 9 times out of 10 you would have bought the stuff off the shelf and believed the vendor's product specifications and that this product was manufactured the same way as Baati's. In fact, we were never paid nor even asked to do C60oo quality control in the scope of any of our studies. This is something we did on our own in an attempt to ensure the quality of our science, based in part, by quality assurance issues raised on this forum (so kudos guys for making sure we were pointed in the right direction). :)

So yes, I do not believe the problems we see have anything to do with C60oo. I believe the problems have to do with a product labeled C60oo from one particular vendor. I feel the most efficient way to address this problem is to manufacture and characterize a C60oo product under FDA compliant GMP standards. Then we will KNOW what we are using. We will KNOW the shelf-life, the breakdown products, etc. GMP is an exceptionally high burden of quality assurance in the manufacturing process. You can put anything in a box that is "research grade" and almost always get away with it.

I believe he said that he was actually worried the quality of the C60 he was preparing wouldn't be as good as something that came from the actual manufacturer SES. He simply assumed he was actually using higher quality C60 when he isn't - well we don't know for sure yet what happened.

Yeah I read the C60 thread some people did raise these points, but they are buried as the c60 thread is like 60 pages or something so he probably never read those comments, no doubt he is getting a lot of useful feedback for a better design in the future.

Correct on both accounts, though some folks on this forum were quick to point out the C60oo concerns which is partially why we were quick to test out our vendor's product as soon as we were able to.

• like x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#83 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:53 PM

As I see it, quality can be broken down into several parts--

(1) The purity of the C60, which is very important as my experience with C70 was not good,

(2) The concentration of C60 in the EVOO, which is a secondary concern, in my opinion,

(3) The presence of nC60 in the mix, which might not be a problem at all,

(4) The components of the EVOO and absence of rancidity,

(5) The spectrum of adducts to the C60 molecules.

Some of these are easy to measure, some not, and some we have no idea what they might mean. The last item, for instance, I worried about just because some things people were doing to speed up the solution process could create entirely new chemical moieties with different pharmacological properties, in which case all bets were off. And this seems to be the case with the SES product. The other suppliers are mom and pop shops, so the only way to really know the process is to make it yourself.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 30 December 2015 - 02:55 PM.

• Good Point x 1

#84 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:26 PM

It very much matters if my C60oo mice are dying faster than the controls

No, it doesn't of necessity matter.  Let me explain.

Posit that the C60OO treated mice all [45] die within +/- 1 standard deviation from the mean lifespan of C57BL6 mice. ( a normal distribution)

Posit that the control group are followed until natural death, and they ALL [45] live to between +1 and +2 standard deviations above the mean for C57BL6 mice.

The control group is the statistical outlier in this example.

In my example, all the C60OO treated mice died earlier than every single control mouse, but because the control mice lifespan did not represent a reasonable sample of C57BL6 mice ( it was highly skewed to longevity), we cannot attribute ANYTHING to the effects of C60OO on the lifespan of C57BL6 mice.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 3
  • Disagree x 2
  • dislike x 1

#85 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:02 PM

For the AML there is an olive oil only control. For the lifespan study we do have an indirect control for olive oil.

Kmoody did you record the creatinine levels on the subjects?

That could be the clue?

#86 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:07 AM

Kmoody:

Let me first of all say that I am very happy that you are doing these studies and also that you are sharing the results here and are having these discussions. You are providing a real service to the community and I hope that we are all able to realize this and be appropriately grateful.

With regard to the negative results you're seeing, it might be helpful to list some of the possible factors which could lead to your results differing from Baati's:

1) C60 Olive Oil preparation: as you've stated, the C60OO was not prepared according to Baati's method. Since we don't actually know why Baati got the results he did, it would make sense to start by using his materials as exactly as possible and then diverging only if his results could be replicated or similarly positive results were found.

Since it's impossible to verify that any particular vendor is actually following Baati's protocols exactly, it would seem necessary for your lab to do its own C60OO production so that you could be assured of obtaining the same reagent that he used.

2) Use of C70: Baati did not use C70 and Turnbuckle on this forum experienced anecdotal negative results when he tried C70OO. So it could be that the C70 is actually causing harm to the mice and not the C60, if in fact C70 is being given to all the test mice.

It would seem to make sense to perform a small separate dosing study using C60OO and C70 to establish the concentration obtained in tissues with any given feeding methodology, and then use those results to perform the actual study which tests the effects of C60OO only. That way, C70 would not be a possible confounding variable in the C60OO study.

3) Chronic dosing: we know that ROS signaling is important for many biological processes, and we also believe C60OO to be a very strong antioxidant. We further have data indicating that most C60OO is excreted within a short time. We also have a hypothesis that some portion of the remaining C60OO ends up in the mitochondrial membrane, where it serves as a barrier to the release of dangerous ROS from an aging and inefficiently functioning mitochondrion.

Given all of these points, it may be that chronic dosing of C60OO is not life-extending, but intermittent dosing is, because chronic dosing inhibits ROS signalling but intermittent dosing allows the C60OO which is not bound to mitochondrial membranes to be excreted, leaving it only where it can do some good rather than harm.

4) Size of dose: Most medications have a sweet spot where they are most effective, and then become ineffective or even toxic at higher doses. Since your dose size is much higher than Baati's it may be that the toxic part of the curve has been reached in this study.

It would make sense to use a dose only as high as Baati did, at least until it was possible to demonstrate positive results similar to his. Given that baseline, dosing could be modified to determine the optimal dose.

Thanks again for all of your hard work and your openness. I will be interested to know your opinion of my comments.

• Good Point x 1

#87 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:33 AM

When we find out want went wrong I do not expect it to be related to superoxide scavenging being overdone.

Remember the results from the IAC study? They found a decrease in lifespan when they went to a dose ten times higher than the one that produced positive LE-related outcomes:

We exposed zooid populations (2 days old), which reproduce agametically by paratomic scission with pygidial budding, in cultured medium (22) containing various concentrations of IAC and maintained them concurrently with a control population of untreated annelids (23). Similar experiments were performed with the SOD/catalase (CAT) mimetic EUK 134, as an antioxidant positive control since it previously showed an increase of lifespan by a mean of 44% in the nematode C elegans (10). The annelids were transferred on alternate days to fresh medium during the entire life cycle until death. Twelve animals were individually cultured for each concentration and the lifespan of zooids was measured for each experiment.

The radical scavenger IAC had a dramatic effect on the lifespan of adult zooids, largely extending the mean lifespan from 68 to 182 days (168% increase, p < .01; maximum life-span 207 days; Table 1A). A dose-response analysis revealed that annelids cultured with an external concentration of 1.25 µM IAC displayed the longest prolongation of mean lifespan. Concentrations both below and slightly above this optimum concentration showed shorter extensions, whereas 10-time higher concentrations caused toxicity and drastically reduced lifespan, compared to controls. Similar results were achieved in a second independent experiment (Table 1B). The Kaplan–Meier survival curves, averaged between both experiments, are shown in Figure 1A. To the best of our knowledge, this is the longest lifespan extension recorded in a living organism exposed to a synthetic compound.

C60oo and IAC are two different substances, but I suspect still similar in a sense:

Here, we test the OS hypothesis of aging by studying the effects on life-span of an artificial hydroxylamine scavenger (IAC). IAC reacts with most—if not all—carbon, nitrogen and oxygen reactive species of biological interest (including peroxyl radicals (ROO) and superoxide radical-anion [O2•− (16)] and was recently found to attenuate oxidative diseases where OS has a pathophysiological role (17–19). Unlike conventional antioxidants, IAC has an additional action: upon quenching ROS, it becomes super-activated, turning from a hydroxylamine to a nitroxide—an even more potent and catalytic antioxidant (20,21; Scheme 1).

Redox-Based Flagging of the Global Network of Oxidative Stress Greatly Promotes Longevity

http://biomedgeronto...ona.glu160.full

Pharmacokinetically favorable electrophile scavengers probably have a pretty wide therapeutic window for most of the time.

#88 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:45 PM

2) Use of C70: Baati did not use C70 and Turnbuckle on this forum experienced anecdotal negative results when he tried C70OO. So it could be that the C70 is actually causing harm to the mice and not the C60, if in fact C70 is being given to all the test mice.

It would seem to make sense to perform a small separate dosing study using C60OO and C70 to establish the concentration obtained in tissues with any given feeding methodology, and then use those results to perform the actual study which tests the effects of C60OO only. That way, C70 would not be a possible confounding variable in the C60OO study.

My understanding is, and if he can correct me if I am wrong, that the Kmoody's lab is using the off-the-shelf pre-mixed C60oo offered by SESRES which uses, according to their website,  99.95% C60 (same grade as Baati) to prepare its product so C70 contamination should be negligible.

It appears it's not the raw material but the method of preparation that is making this product not very beneficial, to put it mildly, to his C60oo-treated mice.

#89 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:43 PM

My understanding is, and if he can correct me if I am wrong, that the Kmoody's lab is using the off-the-shelf pre-mixed C60oo offered by SESRES which uses, according to their website,  99.95% C60 (same grade as Baati) to prepare its product so C70 contamination should be negligible.

It appears it's not the raw material but the method of preparation that is making this product not very beneficial, to put it mildly, to his C60oo-treated mice.

Yes, most likely the problem is the method of preparation and not C70. While one might think there wouldn't be much difference between C60 and C70, one very interesting study found that C70 went to a different place in the cell--

The results demonstrating that C70-based fullerenes are endocytosed and localize to ER differentiate from previously published results showing that endocytosed C60-based fullerenes localize to the mitochondria and lysosomes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2888797/

The ER is a very bad place to have foreign bodies, as they could muck up protein folding.

They also note that fullerene conjugates can go to different places in the cell depending upon residual solvent--

For example, C63(COOH)6 or C61(CO2H)2 appear to localize to mitochondria while C60 mixtures dispersed in tetrahydrofuran (and not purified from this solvent) localize to lysosomes and nuclei in macrophages.

#90 kmoody

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 202 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:47 PM

This is correct.

1) C60 Olive Oil preparation: as you've stated, the C60OO was not prepared according to Baati's method. Since we don't actually know why Baati got the results he did, it would make sense to start by using his materials as exactly as possible and then diverging only if his results could be replicated or similarly positive results were found.

Since it's impossible to verify that any particular vendor is actually following Baati's protocols exactly, it would seem necessary for your lab to do its own C60OO production so that you could be assured of obtaining the same reagent that he used.

3) Chronic dosing: we know that ROS signaling is important for many biological processes, and we also believe C60OO to be a very strong antioxidant. We further have data indicating that most C60OO is excreted within a short time. We also have a hypothesis that some portion of the remaining C60OO ends up in the mitochondrial membrane, where it serves as a barrier to the release of dangerous ROS from an aging and inefficiently functioning mitochondrion.

Given all of these points, it may be that chronic dosing of C60OO is not life-extending, but intermittent dosing is, because chronic dosing inhibits ROS signalling but intermittent dosing allows the C60OO which is not bound to mitochondrial membranes to be excreted, leaving it only where it can do some good rather than harm.

4) Size of dose: Most medications have a sweet spot where they are most effective, and then become ineffective or even toxic at higher doses. Since your dose size is much higher than Baati's it may be that the toxic part of the curve has been reached in this study.

It would make sense to use a dose only as high as Baati did, at least until it was possible to demonstrate positive results similar to his. Given that baseline, dosing could be modified to determine the optimal dose.

1. Agreed, though there was not sufficient product characterization during the Baati study to know exactly what was used. However, by producing in house following the guidelines we should be able to get close enough. We are actively establishing FDA compliant infrastructure to do this sort of manufacturing in house.

2. We did not use any C70 to treat the mice. There seems to be some confusion about this. When you pull blood, tissue, or organ to analyze C60 concentration, you do not know what percent of the total C60 you are obtaining in the extraction process. Ultimately you lose some. To adjust for this loss, you spike the sample with C70 when you take it from the animal and can correct the C60 values by looking at expected vs. actual C70 yields and adjusting C60 concentration by this amount. This is called an internal standard. To do this, you need to be able to clearly resolve C60 and the internal standard. The HPLC graph I showed simply demonstrated we could resolve C60 and C70 from one another. At no point in any experiment was C70 used to treat mice. I do not have reason to believe C70 impurities are present in appreciable amounts in the product we used.

3. Your hypothesis here is entirely plausible. A dose finding study is probably warranted at some point, but to do this in the context of a lifespan study is incredibly expensive and laborious. Baati et al only looked at biodistribution over a short period of time. We are tracking C60 in different organs as far out as 90 days (after administration) to look at the long term accumulation. This data was not available when we began the lifespan study, but would likely influence our decisions about concentration and frequency of dosing in future studies. Our current impression is that there is high accumulation in select organs which pull C60 from the blood (as expected, major ones include liver and spleen). We do not know how long C60 persists in these organs after dosing has been halted. However, our clinical chemistries do not indicate obvious organ dysfunction.

4. This too is plausible. The issue was that Baati's study was a chronic toxicity study that was permitted to continue. It was not designed as a lifespan study. It is difficult to adapt the method to a lifespan study because of the nuances of the study design. The dosing strategy is all over the place. I really would not have expected a product that shows that sort of effect at the doses administered to have any toxicity at the doses we are using. I believe our results are entirely attributable to the C60 sourcing. However, the study sponsors will be the ones who have to determine what concentration we actually use if we are forced to repeat the C60 arms of the lifespan study.

Kmoody did you record the creatinine levels on the subjects?

That could be the clue?

Good question. I have not compiled all the biomarker data but we did do a full workup of clinical chemistries and last I checked there was nothing out of the ordinary. We are in the process of migrating our husbandry data management system over to a new platform that will allow us to compile and analyze the thousands values we get during these studies in just a few clicks (previously we have had to labor in excel for hours to answer these sorts of questions). So I should be able to speak more definitively on this point in a few more weeks, but my current impression is that nothing is out of the ordinary for clinical chems or CBCs.

• Informative x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: c60oo, c60, ichor therapeutics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users