mitoq

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Aurel

• 184 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:55 PM

Source: http://www.mpg.de/98...-target-anxiety

One third of patients with anxiety disorders do not respond to currently available anxiolytic treatments. In their latest study, scientists at the Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry in Munich have shown for the first time that manipulation of mitochondria exerts anxiolytic effects. This improved understanding of how mitochondrial changes affect anxiety may provide the key to novel treatments.

One out of five people will suffer from an anxiety disorder at some point during their life. Anxiety disorders are the most common psychiatric conditions and high anxiety is a frequent symptom and risk factor for many other psychiatric illnesses. New and more efficient treatment strategies are needed for these patients since a third of them remain unresponsive to treatment. Little is known about the biological mechanisms underlying anxiety disorders. As a result, current therapeutic approaches target the symptoms rather than the underlying mechanisms. In this work, a therapeutic mechanism involving mitochondria has been put forward. “Mitochondria are the so called “powerhouses” of the cell, producing most of the cell’s energy” explains senior author Michaela Filiou. Besides energy, mitochondria produce important chemicals and break down and recycle others. Mitochondria are also involved in cell death and calcium signaling at the synapses. As a result, mitochondria are central to how our cells function.

From this study, the researchers believe that mitochondria could turn out to be an exciting new target for anxiolytic treatments. “We have found earlier that highly anxious mice have molecular changes in their mitochondria. We have now shown that treating them with a compound which reverses these mitochondrial changes decreases their anxiety” states Filiou.

The compound they used is called MitoQ, which specifically targets mitochondria. MitoQ is an antioxidant and enhances mitochondrial protection of the cell. The finding that MitoQ has anxiolytic effects in a mouse model of high anxiety suggests that this might be a viable option for a mechanism driven pharmacological strategy for the treatment of anxiety disorders. This is the first time that a potential therapy targeting mitochondrial function has been successfully used in psychiatry research. Importantly, MitoQ has already been shown to be safe for administration to humans.

“Our work is an important new starting point for finding novel ways to treat anxiety disorders” concludes Filiou.

This work was funded by a DFG grant to Michaela Filiou entitled ‘Unravelling the role of mitochondria in anxiety disorders’.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#2 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:28 PM

The psychiatric manifestations of mitochondrial disorders: a case and review of the literature.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22579150
Anglin RE1, Garside SL, Tarnopolsky MA, Mazurek MF, Rosebush PI.  20012.
CONCLUSIONS:  Patients with mitochondrial disorders can present with primary psychiatric symptomatology, including mood disorder, cognitive impairment, psychosis, and anxiety. Psychiatrists need to be aware of the clinical features that are indicative of a mitochondrial disorder, investigate patients with suggestive presentations, and be knowledgeable about the treatment implications of the diagnosis.

Mitochondrial Functions in Mood Disorders
Jana Hroudová, Zdeněk Fišar and Jiří Raboch.  2013.
http://psych.lf1.cun...likace/b005.pdf

Depression Leaves A Metabolic Signature On Mitochondria
http://www.science20...chondria-155061

Depression and anxiety: Role of mitochondria
Stephanie Burroughsa, Denise French.  2007.
http://www.sciencedi...953711207000245
Complex intracellular cascades upregulated in stress-related disorders appear to be intimately associated with the metabolic integrity and capacity of mitochondria to maintain energetic parameters and ultimately cellular stability. Future therapeutic intervention may lie in understanding the interrelationship between hormonal, metabolic and molecular intracellular signaling pathways involved in these conditions. Thus, targeting mitochondrial function may represent a novel avenue for the development of therapies for the treatment of stress-related disorders.

Depression's Physical Impact Extends To Mitochondrial DNA And Telomere Length
http://www.medicalda...e-length-330454

Mitochondrial dysfunction can connect the diverse medical symptoms associated with autism spectrum disorders
Richard E. Frye and Daniel A. Rossignol.  2012.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3179978/

The many roads to mitochondrial dysfunction in neuroimmune and neuropsychiatric disorders
Gerwyn MorrisEmail author and Michael Berk.  2015

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Diego55

• 108 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:58 AM

Do you think that i could benefit from taking this supplement for my severe anxiety issues ??

#4 metabrain

• 302 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:28 PM

I just read this review of the substance http://www.amazon.co...4#RU45NHP39PJ25

• Informative x 1

#5 Groundhog Day

• 94 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:36 PM

Would it make more sense to supplment c60 before or after MitoQ?

#6 Aurel

• Topic Starter
  • 184 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:28 PM

In general we suggest to test mitoq first, as c60 is supposed to have a longer half life. This would make it harder to test it the other way around - or at least more time consuming.

#7 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:12 AM

MitoQ actually made me more nervous.

• Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#8 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:20 AM

Don't think it decreased my anxiety.
  • Agree x 1

#9 Aurel

• Topic Starter
  • 184 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 December 2015 - 02:01 AM

In general: What types of anxiety could be helped with mitochondrial therapy (no matter which products)? E.g. if the reason is a negative belief system - then it would not be as helpful as in cases where there is a lack of energy in the brain. On the other hand, having more energy could make some kind of people even more anxious (Major Legend).

#10 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 06:57 PM

In general: What types of anxiety could be helped with mitochondrial therapy (no matter which products)? E.g. if the reason is a negative belief system - then it would not be as helpful as in cases where there is a lack of energy in the brain. On the other hand, having more energy could make some kind of people even more anxious (Major Legend).

That's actually somewhat true. I am naturally a nervous person, so MitoQ gave me more energy and thus made me more anxious.

The problem is MitoQ doesn't seem to work consistently, and it seems to have a effect of removing all my inner thoughts - which I find greatly disturbing as that's something thats quite important to me. I imagine

there are times where it could be useful, but in general it hindered my conversational recall quite a lot.

I had that famous first day placebo- the first day I took it, it was like a life-changing chemical. It just gave me so much energy "tremendous", but then the following days the energy never came back, whilst it does somewhat fight fatigue it seem to also have a withdrawal - that feels like muscles feeling tense all the time and needing relaxing, which I found fairly weird. I am very experienced with psychotropics, and I've never felt a side effect like that. I messed with doses, and the optimal seems to be 10mg works for like 12 hours.

I subsequently tried it after stopping for weeks and I never got that same massive energy boost again, instead it makes me anxious, removes fatigue, but it also removes my inner thoughts for approx 12 hours, and again the next day if I don't take MitoQ my muscles feel really tense. It's hard to describe - it's like you just constantly want to ball up and hug yourself or need to stretch, it's very uncomfortable, it's like the opposite of relaxing. so I have repeated this several times and decided MitoQ is not worth the price. Without my inner thoughts I can't do work anyways, which eliminates the point of having more energy.

There are definitely different types of anxiety, cognitive insufficiency is one of them - in that case MitoQ may have a genuine play. It used to be one of my problems before I started taking Noopept, so the MitoQ is mainly just

exaggerating my already hyper over sensitive brain I think.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 the_apollo

• 153 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:39 PM

Too bad that MitoQ and how it works is patented, the patent is likely why MitoQ is so pricey in comparison with Q10.

• dislike x 1
  • Disagree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mitoq

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users