• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Quercetin (250mg) causing extreme tachycardia, panic...?

quercetin maoib anxiety

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chziime

• 52 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:58 PM

Today I took 250mg Quercetin Dihydrate, if only because it comes in the same capsule of my favorite brand of corn-free Vitamin C, Twinlab. My psychiatrist said it was safe, and examine.com cited a study saying it gave no stimulation in rats. Although it has similar adenosenic properties as coffee, it doesn't enter the brain or have that effect neurologically.

Five minutes later, while surprisingly calm, I felt a strong rush to my head. I took an extra dose of my Carvedilol and titrated up to a whole 1mg of Klonopin (which I avoid at all costs) because I felt extremely uncomfortable.

Now, I have had a year of strong reactions to stimulating supplements, including those I used to take daily. I developed sudden cardiomyopathy and hypothyroidism - long story, but both are well-treated. Yesterday, I even weight-lifted for the first time since March.

Could this be from the MAOB-I or COMT inhibition? I also take daily:

60mg Remeron
1000mg Depakote
40mg Baclofen
3mg Carvedilol
1/4 capsule rhodiola (titrating up slowly, I used to take a high dose)
Magnesium
Vitamin D

Thank you for any help! I hope I was clear - this episode was just an hour ago...

#2 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:56 PM

As you said, there are at least three mechanisms for quercetin to produce stimulation: adenosine antagonism, COMT and MAO inhibition.  I am doubtful of claims that it does not enter the brain, and also, whenever you see such claims, an intact blood-brain barrier is assumed.  People with chronic illnesses often have compromised BBB's and will respond to compounds that are not supposed to enter the brain with CNS symptoms.  A classic example is GABA.  Some doctors will use a "GABA challenge" to determine the status of the BBB, because in healthy persons GABA will not cross into the brain.  If you feel sedated, or paradoxical stimulation, in response to orally ingested GABA, your BBB is compromised.

I've personally experienced a caffeine-like stimulating effect and insomnia from quercetin every time I've used it.

MAO or COMT inhibition is not going to play nice with the NE-boost from that high dose of remeron.

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 24 December 2015 - 03:58 PM.

• Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 chziime

• Topic Starter
  • 52 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:21 PM

Very interesting, thank you. Yes, I had wondered if my relatively recent sensitivity to stimulating compounds was due to a compromised BBB. The GABA test sounds like a safer one :)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 Talon123

• 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:12 PM

I've had a very similar reaction and seem to match your symptoms to a T reading your other posts Funk. Have you ever tried resveratrol or anything else that has helped tour BBB? Possibly one of my most frustrating symptoms is EXTREME sensitivity to substance.

A b vitamin can send me into tachycardia, and I've experienced red hot itchy skin along side extreme discomfort using GABA. I respect your knowledge, any pointers would be infinitely appreciated

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: quercetin, maoib, anxiety

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users